TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:20 am

I've now written Why Xs for UVA, Penn, UMich, and Berkeley. Any others that I really ought to do?

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:35 am

KMart wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:has anyone requested an interview with a Vanderbilt alum and heard back?

also, can we get a Vandy thread (not it)

now i applied in 2015 but it took me a few months to hear back. if it's been awhile, feel free to shoot recruiting an email

Alum finally emailed me the night before the 14th day.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:40 am

Last edited by R. Jeeves on Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:07 am

call-me-bubbles wrote:Gitaroo_Dude, what do you mean that it was nothing close to what you expected? Waiting to hear back about scheduling mine for (hopefully) next week.

I went through last year's Vandy thread, and it seemed like everyone who interviewed was asked some variation of "Why Vandy?" and either "Why law" or "Why do you want to be a lawyer?"

The alum I interviewed didn't really ask me a single question. We just discussed his experience at Vandy and his job hunt afterwards, and I asked questions throughout. The alum had a pretty interesting road from UG to Vandy to work, and his perspective on law school was really different than what you see on TLS/what I've heard from other law grads. So I enjoyed getting exposed to that different side of law school, so to speak.

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:27 am

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:Gitaroo_Dude, what do you mean that it was nothing close to what you expected? Waiting to hear back about scheduling mine for (hopefully) next week.

I went through last year's Vandy thread, and it seemed like everyone who interviewed was asked some variation of "Why Vandy?" and either "Why law" or "Why do you want to be a lawyer?"

The alum I interviewed didn't really ask me a single question. We just discussed his experience at Vandy and his job hunt afterwards, and I asked questions throughout. The alum had a pretty interesting road from UG to Vandy to work, and his perspective on law school was really different than what you see on TLS/what I've heard from other law grads. So I enjoyed getting exposed to that different side of law school, so to speak.

What was his perspective?

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:28 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote:What was his perspective?

That law school was more fun than UG. They spent a lot of time talking up the social scene at the school. How Bar Review is supplemented by Blackacre every Friday, the proximity of so many bars to the law school, how the student body's credo is basically "work hard, play hard". He talked up the Nashville experience a lot too.

Beyond booze though, they said they never really planned on being anything other than at median. They never went for a journal, didn't do clinics, etc. So I thought it was interesting to speak with someone who was never really gunning for BigLaw. He was really effusive about Vanderbilt in Venice though, particularly the professor who runs it. Like, if I attend Vandy, I'd probably pursue that program now after his evangelism, lol.

And I appreciated how candid he was about OCI, career services, and the struggle of job hunting.

Basically, it wasn't really an interview at all. Just a really chill convo with an alum who's very fond of Vanderbilt.

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:37 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote:I've now written Why Xs for UVA, Penn, UMich, and Berkeley. Any others that I really ought to do?

Duke is a popular choice. I'm still trying to write mine...

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:30 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TAD

Bronze

Postby TAD » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:50 pm

xolailaxo wrote:Wassup guys. Just want to make you poor souls laugh and tell you I emailed UPenn for a fee waiver and wrote it addressed to Irvine. I realized my mistake after I had already sent it and they emailed me back saying:
"To clarify, your below email was addressed to the University of Pennsylvania Law School, not the University of California Irvine School of Law."

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Woops. Has this happened to anyone before? Does it ruin my chances? :shock:

Haha two weeks ago I was emailing Nyu for a fee waiver and copied and pasted what I sent to Columbia but I forgot to change the school name. Nyu didn't notice and simply said thanks for your interest in our school. Still got a fee waiver later on. But in your case they seemed to notice so I dunno.

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:03 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:15 pm

xolailaxo wrote:Wassup guys. Just want to make you poor souls laugh and tell you I emailed UPenn for a fee waiver and wrote it addressed to Irvine. I realized my mistake after I had already sent it and they emailed me back saying:
"To clarify, your below email was addressed to the University of Pennsylvania Law School, not the University of California Irvine School of Law."

this wont affect your admissions chances

TAD

Bronze

Postby TAD » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:16 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:

this wont affect your admissions chances

^... they know you're applying to other law schools, and shit happens.

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:22 pm

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Postby call-me-bubbles » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:50 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Postby pizzagoblin » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:34 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:Anyone got any insight on the optional questions for Georgetown? I know they say, "When we say optional, we really do mean optional." But I'm having trouble believing they won't look down even ever-so-slightly on those who don't respond to one of the questions. I'm really attracted to Georgetown as a school and their various programs, but everything I come up with for these questions seems so lame/not worth submitting. Would it count against me somehow if I wrote a "Why Georgetown" instead?

I used the one-minute video prompt to say why Georgetown was the right fit for me. The 250-word count on the optional essays was too limiting for me.

Good luck!

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:49 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:Anyone got any insight on the optional questions for Georgetown? I know they say, "When we say optional, we really do mean optional." But I'm having trouble believing they won't look down even ever-so-slightly on those who don't respond to one of the questions. I'm really attracted to Georgetown as a school and their various programs, but everything I come up with for these questions seems so lame/not worth submitting. Would it count against me somehow if I wrote a "Why Georgetown" instead?

I used the one-minute video prompt to say why Georgetown was the right fit for me. The 250-word count on the optional essays was too limiting for me.

Good luck!

you can also find examples of the videos here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... n+optional

omg this guy looks looks high https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saltRUZN9pw

YoungSimba

New

Postby YoungSimba » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:32 am

I'm not sure if this one is for real but I love it :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkvy4Sh269g

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Postby call-me-bubbles » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:50 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warmcherrysoda

New

Postby warmcherrysoda » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:11 am

pizzagoblin wrote:

Good luck!

Does this mean you spoke at a speed of more than 4 words per second in the video?

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:30 am

warmcherrysoda wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:

Good luck!

Does this mean you spoke at a speed of more than 4 words per second in the video?

I'm sure it's that the requirements of a video are much lower and ides can be expressed in fewer words.

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:24 am

Last edited by littlewing67 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:33 pm

Shit ya'll.

I'm sick and got accepted to Duke today and the response spreadsheets slipped my mind. I promise I will get them done and make that thread though

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:35 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Shit ya'll.

I'm sick and got accepted to Duke today and the response spreadsheets slipped my mind. I promise I will get them done and make that thread though

take your time, it's not like it's gonna get busy anytime soon.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:49 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Shit ya'll.

take your time, it's not like it's gonna get busy anytime soon.

Alrighty. I've started them, I'm just anxious to do my civic duty to the site.

beantheshadow

Bronze

Postby beantheshadow » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:04 pm

Got a question about the Chicago application. In additional demographics it asks if were the first in our family to attend college, my older brother was the first one to attend but he dropped out after three years. I was the first to graduate. Am I over thinking this question? Lol

I asked this in the Chicago thread but it seems like we have more traffic here and I want to submit my app today! LOl

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?