TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

brinicolec

Gold

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby brinicolec » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:41 pm

Idk if anyone's come across this site AdmissionsDean.com but it apparently has interviews with several of the LS deans and stuff if anyone's looking for some info. I ended up finding it because I have some time on my hands before work and have decided to at least try to start some Why X research :(

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:46 pm

TheMikey wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:
TheMikey wrote:pretzel did amazing :D so jelly but proud!

U read for this next go-around? Three more weeks!

I'm for sure feeling more confident than our last take! You're still retaking, right?

Nope. Maybe December.

RictusErectus

Bronze

Postby RictusErectus » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:47 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
potterotter wrote:I noticed a minor spelling error in my personal statement post-submission (wrote "a" instead of "at", the t must have gotten deleted at some point). How big of a deal will this be?

I doubt it will be a big deal (although I noticed a typo on a submitted app too so I know saying that won't help)

I will say you are definitely better off not drawing attention to something that minor. It happened, I know you're probably fretting about it but I doubt a missed letter would even keep you out of Harvard (no chance at Yale though)

I know someone who got accepted by HLS even tho he forgot to remove the placeholder word for "X University" from his PS. Goes to show how much it matters!

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:30 pm

Just remembered I should write diversity statements

I'm really on top of this guys

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:23 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Just remembered I should write diversity statements

You only need one DS though right?

Also I'm feeling the tar.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:24 am

Is anyone watching Narcos? Literally dope.

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:08 am

R. Jeeves wrote:Is anyone watching Narcos? Literally dope.

narcos is great, esp. at teaching me interesting new uses for "puta"

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:34 am

Kopetz wrote:

i've heard so many great things about it but have yet to start, ugh, i need more time in the day

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:40 am

shorter:

do you guys think having small stretched ears will hurt someone in during in-person or video chatting interviews??
Last edited by Mikey on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:42 am

Kopetz wrote:

hahaha oh forsure. I had no idea the word was so versatile

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:54 am

TheMikey wrote:

someone here might have some good insight on this idk. I feel like the MS9 thread is likely to have a better answer to this particular question though

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:56 am

R. Jeeves wrote:
TheMikey wrote:

someone here might have some good insight on this idk. I feel like the MS9 thread is likely to have a better answer to this particular question though

hmm alrighty, i'll give it a shot there!

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:36 pm

Wait wait are y'all submitting applications already? I thought October was the correct timing.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:38 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:Wait wait are y'all submitting applications already? I thought October was the correct timing.

dude you are late to the game.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:38 pm

poptart123 wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:Wait wait are y'all submitting applications already? I thought October was the correct timing.

Just kidding, go check out MS9's latest blog post.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:53 pm

poptart123 wrote:

I did Duke because I had that ten day turn around burning a hole in my app, I'm gonna see how that goes and then evaluate my app going forward

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:15 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Just remembered I should write diversity statements

You only need one DS though right?

Also I'm feeling the tar.

Ty ty
It's funny bc in this episode they just call it "the animal" and don't even pretend it's not a dog. It's in several scenes it's just just being held and petted and the pups has obviously given up hope of getting out of that suit.

And yeah just one diversity statement that I might edit for each school, I just totes forgot about it
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:20 pm

Anyone got ideas/experience with using a June score to get in/increase scholly? I assume there is a risk of being denied when applying early even if I state in app that I'm taking it.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:38 am

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
caitlinrw wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions. I'm a Florida native, and know for sure that I want to stay here to practice after school. Should I include schools outside of Florida on my app list? Right now, FSU is my top choice, and I'm sure I can get some scholly money if I apply early enough as planned. Thanks for the future advice, let me know if you need my stats to answer this.

EDIT: Biglaw is not a must for me, just to throw that in there, lol

Hey...welcome to the thread! About FL (anecdote alert): Mrs. Meerkat graduated from one of Duke, Penn, Virginia this last year. One of her close friends was top-25ish% after 1L year and grew up/graduated high school in Florida. This person received multiple V15 offers in NYC (definitely an accomplished individual) but, despite 3 callbacks at FL biglaw firms, couldn't land an offer to get back home.

So, I'd suggest you seriously consider the TLS-standard advice that FL is VERY uniquely ties sensitive. If you're dead set on practicing in FL, seems to me FSU might be a solid option (especially if you're looking at a significant scholarship). Good luck!

Bringing this back up because I did a search for something like this. Florida is honestly a possibility for me (slight possibility but still will apply to UF and FSU) for familial reasons. I don't have many ties in FL besides some family, but I doubt they even have ties within the legal community. I was born and raised in NYC (still live here), and obviously I have ties here, but if I went to FL, my chances of landing something without ties would very difficult, right? I like some of the florida law schools but i don't want to have a shitty chance of getting a job.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:51 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Anyone got ideas/experience with using a June score to get in/increase scholly? I assume there is a risk of being denied when applying early even if I state in app that I'm taking it.

I used it to increase scholly at a school I had deposited at, but not to get in anywhere. Went from 13K a year to full ride. Decided to reapply anyways, though.

sluggla

Bronze

Postby sluggla » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:07 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
poptart123 wrote:

I did Duke because I had that ten day turn around burning a hole in my app, I'm gonna see how that goes and then evaluate my app going forward

Same. A decision from Duke along with my acceptance to UVA means I will save a ton of money and time by not filling out apps to safety schools.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:09 pm

TheMikey wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
caitlinrw wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions. I'm a Florida native, and know for sure that I want to stay here to practice after school. Should I include schools outside of Florida on my app list? Right now, FSU is my top choice, and I'm sure I can get some scholly money if I apply early enough as planned. Thanks for the future advice, let me know if you need my stats to answer this.

Hey...welcome to the thread! About FL (anecdote alert): Mrs. Meerkat graduated from one of Duke, Penn, Virginia this last year. One of her close friends was top-25ish% after 1L year and grew up/graduated high school in Florida. This person received multiple V15 offers in NYC (definitely an accomplished individual) but, despite 3 callbacks at FL biglaw firms, couldn't land an offer to get back home.

So, I'd suggest you seriously consider the TLS-standard advice that FL is VERY uniquely ties sensitive. If you're dead set on practicing in FL, seems to me FSU might be a solid option (especially if you're looking at a significant scholarship). Good luck!

Bringing this back up because I did a search for something like this. Florida is honestly a possibility for me (slight possibility but still will apply to UF and FSU) for familial reasons. I don't have many ties in FL besides some family, but I doubt they even have ties within the legal community. I was born and raised in NYC (still live here), and obviously I have ties here, but if I went to FL, my chances of landing something without ties would very difficult, right? I like some of the florida law schools but i don't want to have a shitty chance of getting a job.

Dude, I wish I had a crystal ball and could give you some certainty--but, I can't. Let me tell you what I do know.

1) If practicing in Florida is a priority for you, going to FSU/UF would be a solid option.
2) Anything is "hypothetically" possible if you go to a T-14, but with your lack of robust ties, the common wisdom traded on TLS is Florida would be a tough nut to crack.

Now, this doesn't mean you're guaranteed a job in FL if you decide FSU is for you. It also doesn't mean you'd be completely shut out if you went to, say, Duke/UVA. But, these seem to be the trends people have picked up on. Good luck man. :)

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:14 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:

Dude, I wish I had a crystal ball and could give you some certainty--but, I can't. Let me tell you what I do know.

1) If practicing in Florida is a priority for you, going to FSU/UF would be a solid option.
2) Anything is "hypothetically" possible if you go to a T-14, but with your lack of robust ties, the common wisdom traded on TLS is Florida would be a tough nut to crack.

Now, this doesn't mean you're guaranteed a job in FL if you decide FSU is for you. It also doesn't mean you'd be completely shut out if you went to, say, Duke/UVA. But, these seem to be the trends people have picked up on. Good luck man. :)

Thanks for the reply! Yeah it's a tough market to crack, which sucks. I was reading around and people said basically what you said. Some people said go to some school in the south like vandy or duke and try to break into the FL market. I'll definitely let you know how everything ends up for me and if I even decide to head out there to FL or stay in nyc!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:36 pm

TheMikey wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:

Thanks for the reply! Yeah it's a tough market to crack, which sucks. I was reading around and people said basically what you said. Some people said go to some school in the south like vandy or duke and try to break into the FL market. I'll definitely let you know how everything ends up for me and if I even decide to head out there to FL or stay in nyc!

I was the other person from FL in this original Convo. I was toying with the idea of going to FSU/UF but ultimately I think I have decided not to do it. Currently Duke is my first choice and I'm hoping to possibly crack the FL nut after. A few reasons I chose and why they may or may not apply.

1)speaking about employment (specifically biglaw) everyone has an anecdotal story about a t14 er (or sometimes hyser) that struck out in FL oci. However, there is not nearly enough data on attempts from t14 to Florida to draw a statically significant conclusion. At Florida schools, the employment is almost all in the state, but there are still stories of students striking out oci and the stats for law firm employment and employment out of uf fsu aren't stellar (not hating on either of them, but it is what it is). Ultimately I decided that with FL law being so uncertain in both situations I'd take the more likely firm numbers and possibly roll in to FL.

2) This one is more of a disclaimer. I have really strong ties to FL. Grew up there, ug at FSU, girlfriends dad was a partner at a mid law firm there.

I'm probably a bit more confident about getting into FL than you are given (2) but I figured I'd give you my logic at (1).

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:50 pm

What schools still need a thread? Is there any interest in me making one of the following?

Washu
Vanderbilt
UCLA
USC

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?