TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

HaveMercy

New

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby HaveMercy » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:05 pm

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:14 pm

Last edited by Mikey on Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:40 pm

TheMikey wrote:Quote me if you want BUT DON'T QUOTE THE BELOW PLEASE!!

Dude, as I recall your GPA isn't bad. I'd honestly just let it be unless you have some compelling reason. It risks drawing attention off your overall GPA and onto a mediocre year with no real achievable benefit. So...costs could be high and rewards most likely low. Ehhhh, let that one go man.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:48 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
TheMikey wrote:Quote me if you want BUT DON'T QUOTE THE BELOW PLEASE!!

Dude, as I recall your GPA isn't bad. I'd honestly just let it be unless you have some compelling reason. It risks drawing attention off your overall GPA and onto a mediocre year with no real achievable benefit. So...costs could be high and rewards most likely low. Ehhhh, let that one go man.

Thanks man! That's what I figured most would advise, I just wasn't too sure.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:25 pm

So if the school asks "Has there ever been an interruption of one or more terms in your education for any reason?" does that apply to time off between HS and college? I think it's talking about an interruption while enrolled in a program (like a semester off or something) but I don't want to assume.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:30 pm

ashrice13 wrote:So if the school asks "Has there ever been an interruption of one or more terms in your education for any reason?" does that apply to time off between HS and college? I think it's talking about an interruption while enrolled in a program (like a semester off or something) but I don't want to assume.

Yup...I think this is a safe assumption. I'm not counting the five years between my undergrad and MBA as an "interruption" either. My guess is time between HS and UG is the same thing.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:33 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:So if the school asks "Has there ever been an interruption of one or more terms in your education for any reason?" does that apply to time off between HS and college? I think it's talking about an interruption while enrolled in a program (like a semester off or something) but I don't want to assume.

Yup...I think this is a safe assumption. I'm not counting the five years between my undergrad and MBA as an "interruption" either. My guess is time between HS and UG is the same thing.

Sweet. That's what I thought. Thanks!

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:06 pm

One of my target schools is Texas. I'm thinking about applying to UCLA for scholarship negotiation purposes because I have a fee waiver. Does anybody know how much scholarship UCLA gives compared to Texas, and is it really all that great of a bargaining chip if they do give more? Currently debating whether the $30 is worth it or not.

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:11 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:12 pm

zeglo wrote:
poptart123 wrote:One of my target schools is Texas. I'm thinking about applying to UCLA for scholarship negotiation purposes because I have a fee waiver. Does anybody know how much scholarship UCLA gives compared to Texas, and is it really all that great of a bargaining chip if they do give more? Currently debating whether the $30 is worth it or not.

It's only $30 for a lifetime of knowledge and no regret.

Damn that's deep. Thank you.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Postby alpha kenny body » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:44 pm

Applying to 10 Schools a lot earlier this time around than last cycle. Interviewing in-person on-campus for most.

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:23 pm

Last edited by TexasENG on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:36 am

So I graduated awhile ago, have WE and did a master's abroad. When I was in UG I took two quarters off because I was in an accident where I was walking on the street and got run over by a car (basically my head hit the top of the car, the windshield, the hood, license plate, and then the ground--the police told me they were glad it was me and not a child because a child would have died). The car was speeding. Anyhow I suffered two mild concussions, was taken to the hospital, and on medication for a short period. I have documentation from the hospital, but since it was so long ago I don't know if its necessary to talk about this interruption. Thoughts?

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:17 pm

Last edited by TexasENG on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:35 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:

So I graduated awhile ago, have WE and did a master's abroad. When I was in UG I took two quarters off because I was in an accident where I was walking on the street and got run over by a car (basically my head hit the top of the car, the windshield, the hood, license plate, and then the ground--the police told me they were glad it was me and not a child because a child would have died). The car was speeding. Anyhow I suffered two mild concussions, was taken to the hospital, and on medication for a short period. I have documentation from the hospital, but since it was so long ago I don't know if its necessary to talk about this interruption. Thoughts?

You'll have to answer yes to the interruption question. But, it'll be a non-issue. Just explain, briefly, you were run over by a speeding car and your medical issues required you to take a couple quarters off (documentation available upon request), but that you suffer no lasting issues as evidenced by your subsequent academic successes. This will dismiss any adcomm's concerns.

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:03 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:

You'll have to answer yes to the interruption question. But, it'll be a non-issue. Just explain, briefly, you were run over by a speeding car and your medical issues required you to take a couple quarters off (documentation available upon request), but that you suffer no lasting issues as evidenced by your subsequent academic successes. This will dismiss any adcomm's concerns.

Perfect. Thank you so much!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:36 pm

Does the file format of your upload to LSAC matter? Am I wrong in thinking that all app documents are sent to the schools as a PDF or should I send all my stuff in as pdf to start?

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:59 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Does the file format of your upload to LSAC matter? Am I wrong in thinking that all app documents are sent to the schools as a PDF or should I send all my stuff in as pdf to start?

The LSAC system accepts .doc .pdf and a couple other file formats as well. After you're done uploading, the system spits out everything compiled in PDF format regardless of what you uploaded. So, no, it does not matter.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:17 am

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Does the file format of your upload to LSAC matter? Am I wrong in thinking that all app documents are sent to the schools as a PDF or should I send all my stuff in as pdf to start?

The LSAC system accepts .doc .pdf and a couple other file formats as well. After you're done uploading, the system spits out everything compiled in PDF format regardless of what you uploaded. So, no, it does not matter.

OK I just wanted to confirm that LSAT spit it all out as PDF. I know it shows me a PDF but I wasn't sure if it gave it to schools in native doc type

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:22 am

I would send everything as a PDF anyway. You don't know what might happen in their conversion, and you definitely don't want to accidentally leave track changes on or accidentally edit something and not notice.

i would keep all docs as word docs, and then once I'm completely 100% sure that it's the final version, save it as a PDF so I can be sure that I'm uploading exactly what I want to upload

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:57 am

Keilz wrote:I would send everything as a PDF anyway. You don't know what might happen in their conversion, and you definitely don't want to accidentally leave track changes on or accidentally edit something and not notice.

i would keep all docs as word docs, and then once I'm completely 100% sure that it's the final version, save it as a PDF so I can be sure that I'm uploading exactly what I want to upload

I came to that conclusion also. I kept the question up because I was curious

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Postby Baby Gaga » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:01 pm

Keilz wrote:I would send everything as a PDF anyway. You don't know what might happen in their conversion, and you definitely don't want to accidentally leave track changes on or accidentally edit something and not notice.

yup, that's exactly how I do it too

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:13 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackCanary

Bronze

Postby BlackCanary » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:26 pm

It made no sense for me to travel home between business trips so I booked myself into a nice hotel and am planning on knocking out all my apps.

Oh, and always submit pdfs.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:30 am

Why x's

Should they be double spaced and what's a reasonable length?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?