TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Rigo

Diamond

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Post by Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:52 am

LawBuckeye12 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
LawBuckeye12 wrote: So do you think the federal government becoming more involved in education has been a success so far? The numbers seem to indicate the opposite. Your opinion of "a child being screwed" is much different from other people's opinion.
What numbers? Show me the receipts.
Left leaning politifact agrees: http://www.politifact.com/virginia/stat ... 30-years-/
This doesn't address why uniformity of standards isn't a good thing though.
This is a strawman in it's purest form.

LawBuckeye12

New

Post by LawBuckeye12 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:54 am

Rigo wrote:
LawBuckeye12 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
LawBuckeye12 wrote: So do you think the federal government becoming more involved in education has been a success so far? The numbers seem to indicate the opposite. Your opinion of "a child being screwed" is much different from other people's opinion.
Left leaning politifact agrees: http://www.politifact.com/virginia/stat ... 30-years-/
Well if the test scores are stagnant than obviously the uniformity of standards hasn't been doing much. It's clear we need major reform in education and the federal government hasn't been able to get scores up and has been throwing away tons of money. It's common sense to go to local control of education. It saves money and the people who know the kids best will be in charge, not bureaucrats in Washington.

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:55 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote: It's called fact application, and it's a pretty important of the law.

The founding fathers obviously did not speak directly to a public school system, but the fear of absurd, almost comical, variances in how states governed themselves, and the problems that would arise from free movement between the two vastly different states are what they feared.

Having one state that taught only creationism or that the civil war was OK would pretty clearly meet the definition of vastly, almost comically different, and the repercussions feared in the Federalist papers would almost certainly arise from that.

We can argue wether or not you think the differences in education would be that severe, but that wasnt the defense buckeye choose
Come on. The entire point of the Federalist Papers was to allay the fears of most of the states that the proposed new government would take over powers that the states held at the time. That the new, federal government would impose on states what they can and can't teach their citizens would almost certainly fall into the category of overreach that the states were worried about.

That's why you get passages like this, from 45:
Publius wrote: "The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected.
The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State. The operations of the federal government will be most extensive and important in times of war and danger; those of the State governments, in times of peace and security."
Not sure how you read that to imply the new, federal government is going to run education.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:01 am

LawBuckeye12 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
LawBuckeye12 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Well if the test scores are stagnant than obviously the uniformity of standards hasn't been doing much.
There's really no point in engaging if you're just going to keep doubling down on your strawman that we aren't even discussing.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:02 am

LawBuckeye12 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
We can certainly find better ways to use the money, but the NAEP is one standardized test for math and reading. It's far from the only metric for analyzing the benefit of federal school funding.

There's also the issue that federal funding is far and away more focused on higher education, and special education. How well students perform in high school is still largely at the will of the states. This coincides with the large funding increase because, as tuition increases, so must the funding for tuition assitance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

canafsa

Bronze

Post by canafsa » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:03 am

Last edited by canafsa on Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawBuckeye12

New

Post by LawBuckeye12 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:07 am

Rigo wrote:
LawBuckeye12 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
LawBuckeye12 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Well if the test scores are stagnant than obviously the uniformity of standards hasn't been doing much.
There's really no point in engaging if you're just going to keep doubling down on your strawman that we aren't even discussing.
I figured as much. It might break your heart to have to admit that the federal government isn't good at something

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:11 am

I value public schools and think education can be greatest equalizer and surest path out of poverty in this country. I agree with can do better, but disagree that scrapping the DOE is the way to do it. I'm not sure this is the place for that argument though.

What I originally posted was that this political climate has me worried about graduate loans and federal loan forgiveness programs. With PSLF actually starting to kick in soon as loan balances become eligible to be forgiven for the first time ever, I'm worried that politicians will become more aware of the expenditure and they might not have my best interprets in mind if they seek to address it and cut costs. I would hate to rely on current programs that might not be there or will have fundamentally been altered by the time I graduate. That's all.

forum_user

Silver

Post by forum_user » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:11 am

canafsa wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote: The founding fathers
Publius wrote:

the founders
Fuck the founders
Checking in on 180

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:13 am

Last edited by Monday on Wed May 10, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:14 am

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:16 am

LawBuckeye12 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Did you even read that article or just briefly skim the headline? The entire article is arguing that while the Senator's comments are "mostly true" they are grossly exaggerated.

Furthermore, the point that others have made ITT is that there needs to be some national education board in order to make sure the states don't do some whacky shit like teaching creationism, teaching Christianity in schools, teaching slavery is dope, etc.

EDIT: 180!
Last edited by RParadela on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:18 am

Dammit, guys. I come here to avoid politics.

In for 180.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:19 am

LawBuckeye12 wrote: It might break your heart to have to admit that the federal government isn't good at something
Believe me: I don't think the fedgov is good at everything.
The education level of this country is alarming. Your probability of success depending on what school district you're born into is a disgrace. I just believe eliminating minimum learning standards and then relying on a patchwork of states choosing what to teach and setting their own standards is bad.

Neither here nor there though. I encourage you to pursue a career in education policy if that's your passion.

tncats

Bronze

Post by tncats » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:20 am

Do y'all think it's better to visit schools on a regular school day or during an admitted student event?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:21 am

180 oh ya

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:22 am

canafsa wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote: It's called fact application, and it's a pretty important of the law.

The founding fathers obviously did not speak directly to a public school system, but the fear of absurd, almost comical, variances in how states governed themselves, and the problems that would arise from free movement between the two vastly different states are what they feared.

Having one state that taught only creationism or that the civil war was OK would pretty clearly meet the definition of vastly, almost comically different, and the repercussions feared in the Federalist papers would almost certainly arise from that.

We can argue wether or not you think the differences in education would be that severe, but that wasnt the defense buckeye choose
Come on. The entire point of the Federalist Papers was to allay the fears of most of the states that the proposed new government would take over powers that the states held at the time. That the new, federal government would impose on states what they can and can't teach their citizens would almost certainly fall into the category of overreach that the states were worried about.

That's why you get passages like this, from 45:
Publius wrote: "The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected.
The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State. The operations of the federal government will be most extensive and important in times of war and danger; those of the State governments, in times of peace and security."
Not sure how you read that to imply the new, federal government is going to run education.

Correct. It helps to read the damn things first before acting like the founders envisioned or tacitly prescribed nationalized education :lol:
This is the age old disagreement on the application of centuries old language to the world today.

"The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected."

To ensure peace and foreign trade in 2017, it is necessary that all states maintain some level of standardized education and that there be funding available to those seeking higher education (the lions share of the DOE).

Also I can pick pieces out of 85 articles to support my points too
The powers included in the THIRD class are those which provide for the harmony and proper intercourse among the States. Under this head might be included the particular restraints imposed on the authority of the States, and certain powers of the judicial department; but the former are reserved for a distinct class, and the latter will be particularly examined when we arrive at the structure and organization of the government.
We can have a reasonable discussion about this or you can continue being condescending, which would you prefer?
Last edited by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:23 am

tncats wrote:Do y'all think it's better to visit schools on a regular school day or during an admitted student event?
Both have pros and cons. I liked going on a regular school day personally and sitting in on classes and getting a feel for the energy when students are actually there.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:31 am

I love you all

speaking of Federalist Papers, currently reading a history of the American Revolution to have some good context before I tackle the Federalist Papers. should be fun.
Last edited by proteinshake on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:32 am

LawBuckeye12 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
LawBuckeye12 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Well if the test scores are stagnant than obviously the uniformity of standards hasn't been doing much. It's clear we need major reform in education and the federal government hasn't been able to get scores up and has been throwing away tons of money. It's common sense to go to local control of education. It saves money and the people who know the kids best will be in charge, not bureaucrats in Washington.
I'm in total agreement that education reform is needed, and I would be ok with more local control. However, my homes state lags far behind the national average in almost every educational category, largely because our legislators couldn't seem to care less about education. My state's largest city had its school board dissolved a few years back and has been in limbo ever since, with schools in the low-income parts of town closing so more schools can open in the higher-income neighborhoods. So yes, I want reform and would be ok with more local control if my local government exhibited more competency or at least gave a damn.

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:35 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote: This is the age old disagreement on the application of centuries old language to the world today.

"he former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected."

To ensure peace and foreign trade in 2017, it is necessary that all states maintain some level of standardized education and that there be funding available to those seeking higher education (the lions share of the DOE).

Also I can pick pieces out of 85 articles to support my points too
The powers included in the THIRD class are those which provide for the harmony and proper intercourse among the States. Under this head might be included the particular restraints imposed on the authority of the States, and certain powers of the judicial department; but the former are reserved for a distinct class, and the latter will be particularly examined when we arrive at the structure and organization of the government.
We can have a reasonable discussion about this or you can continue being condescending, which would you prefer?
If you were referring to me with that last part, I apologize if I came off as condescending. That wasn't my intention.

That said, that is an extremely taxed view of that passage. The concern of the founders, living under the Articles government, was that states, without a stronger federal system, would spiral apart and become separate nations. This was a legitimate concern given that states had their own currencies/distinct financial systems and were practically negotiating with foreign powers on their own. For a fledgling nation that didn't agree on much, there were real concerns about the unity of the union in the 1780's. That is almost certainly the intent behind statements about harmony and intercourse between states: economic and diplomatic harmony. It's such a stretch to argue that that would include things like education, as the states at the time already had massively different educational systems and cultural backgrounds and they made such a fuss over keeping those distinct systems that Hamilton et al. had to write the Federalist Papers to convince them that the Feds weren't going to erase their states' identities.

In contrast, my passage wasn't "picked out," it is extremely representative of the writings and arguments made surrounding the constitution when it was debated and ratified. That is, in my view, unequivocally how the majority of the states viewed the constitution when they accepted it. This is held up by the debates in the states' legislatures.

You might have a point if the states would be teaching their students that the Union is evil, Texas should impose tarrifs on California, and that federal law men should be shot on sight. Those would probably be examples of things that would threaten federal unity. Things like creationism being taught in one state and evolution in another (which I will reiterate is not the primary motivation behind much criticism of the current system) don't even scratch the surface of the disparities that existed 200 years ago between states, yet those disparities weren't severe enough to be written into the Constitution or the Federalist Papers as problems. I fail to see how the concern you perceive in your passage rises above the concern I see in mine, which it would have to in order for your argument to make sense.

edit: typo
Last edited by Sarastro on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

canafsa

Bronze

Post by canafsa » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:37 am

Last edited by canafsa on Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:40 am

What are some good biopics or books about the creation of America that I can read?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:42 am

Keilz wrote:What are some good biopics or books about the creation of America that I can read?
A History of the American Revolution by John R Alden (look him up). don't know if there is a better single volume history of that time period.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:42 am

180 y'all

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”