TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

jjcorvino

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (new poll)

Post by jjcorvino » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:41 am

Wake up waiters! It is a weekday!

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:45 am

nimbus cloud wrote:The application deadline refers to the last day I must submit the app, not the day by which it must go complete, correct? One of the schools abroad is taking forever to submit a doc.
You are technically correct. Adcomms on Spivey's blog have mentioned that the deadline is more there to encourage folks to finish their app as early as possible as it's the admissions offices jobs to go through thousands of applicants and create a class. For them (and for your admissions chances) it is best if you submit earlier. However, if there a doc that you need, it will still be accepted after the deadline. If you feel the need to apply after the deadline entirely, they'll likely still review the app. But, again, admissions and FinAid chances are.. not that most favorable.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:48 am

jjcorvino wrote:Wake up waiters! It is a weekday!
Oh, we're awake. We're just feeling a way.

galeatus

Silver

Post by galeatus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:54 am

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

nimbus cloud

Silver

Post by nimbus cloud » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:04 am

Last edited by nimbus cloud on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:11 am

this poll is no longer new to me

i feel the title of this thread is a misnomer

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:26 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:this poll is no longer new to me

fixed

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:38 am

S.Picquery wrote:
:lol:

I feel like TLS has slowed down a lot in the past few weeks. Maybe a bit of fatigue.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:48 am

jjcorvino wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
:lol:

I feel like TLS has slowed down a lot in the past few weeks. Maybe a bit of fatigue.
The Columbia thread is still a shit show though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:55 am

I did a solid 2 hours of work this morning for the first time in... a pretty long time. I think avoiding TLS is what I mainly have to thank for it.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:01 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:this poll is no longer new to me

fixed
you're a class act jeeves

Kopetz

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (aging poll)

Post by Kopetz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:07 pm

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:01 pm

Well it's 3 hours into the workweek and I haven't heard from a single damn school! The nerve of these people!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:57 pm

"Dear Hennessy,
Congratulations again on your admission to Emory Law..."

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:36 pm

No application movement :|

Instrumental

Silver

Post by Instrumental » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Gotta knock out this UCLA video interview shortly. staycalmstaycalmstaycalm

appind

Gold

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (taking poll suggestions)

Post by appind » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:09 pm

Monday wrote:
quigleyest wrote:173/3.65 .... first app complete at CLS on 1/20, HLS complete 1/23
pumped the brakes on my cycle because of lateness and running short on $$.

Are more T6 applications worth the money because of the drop in 170+ scorers? Would Any more of HYS or CCN be worth the money, particularly S or NYU? Uchicago gets a negative rep on here. Currently live in NYC... and came from the midwest. not too keen to return

attorney in my office with T6 full ride advises me to not rush to law school. feeling lost because of my dead end position (paralegal in public interest)

Advice would be very much appreciated!
Well, it's not a choice between applying this cycle and never attending law school, so the fact that your position is a dead end position isn't quite important. The advice of not rushing to law school is sound and echoed often here: there is absolutely no reason to rush into it, especially if the possibility of a better LSAT score from a retake exists.

Also, even if you were to apply next cycle, you don't have to stay at your dead end job. There are so many other opportunities, take the time to explore (especially before you get locked into being an attorney). If you are seriously entertaining applying early next cycle, then approach this cycle as an aggressive one. Don't bother applying to safety schools, and if you don't get into your dream schools, apply next year after a retake.

why the bolded? he already has a 173 which i think isn't going to keep him out anywhere.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:25 pm

appind wrote:
Monday wrote:
quigleyest wrote:173/3.65 .... first app complete at CLS on 1/20, HLS complete 1/23

Are more T6 applications worth the money because of the drop in 170+ scorers? Would Any more of HYS or CCN be worth the money, particularly S or NYU? Uchicago gets a negative rep on here. Currently live in NYC... and came from the midwest. not too keen to return

attorney in my office with T6 full ride advises me to not rush to law school. feeling lost because of my dead end position (paralegal in public interest)

Well, it's not a choice between applying this cycle and never attending law school, so the fact that your position is a dead end position isn't quite important. The advice of not rushing to law school is sound and echoed often here: there is absolutely no reason to rush into it, especially if the possibility of a better LSAT score from a retake exists.

Also, even if you were to apply next cycle, you don't have to stay at your dead end job. There are so many other opportunities, take the time to explore (especially before you get locked into being an attorney). If you are seriously entertaining applying early next cycle, then approach this cycle as an aggressive one. Don't bother applying to safety schools, and if you don't get into your dream schools, apply next year after a retake.

why the bolded? he already has a 173 which i think isn't going to keep him out anywhere.
Y'all will tell someone with a 179 to retake, I swearrrrrr.

Also, OP it's unclear, have you gotten fee waivers? To answer your question, you have good numbers, though I'm not sure if they're Stanford numbers. Where are you trying to practice post-LS? Where do you WANT to go? But also, I don't really think retaking is necessary, especially if you have a concern about your $$$, but it also depends on where you're really set on going.

Kopetz

Bronze

Post by Kopetz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:36 pm

appind wrote:
Monday wrote:

ABR (Always Be Retaking)

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:36 pm

appind wrote:
Monday wrote:

how the fuck u gonna retake a 173

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:38 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:"Dear Hennessy,
Congratulations again on your admission to Emory Law..."

Underrated post. Shit made me lol. :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:51 pm

Last edited by Monday on Wed May 10, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:55 pm

brinicolec wrote:No application movement :|
Girl we're getting Berk together next week and gonna be best friends.

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:57 pm

Monday wrote:
appind wrote:
Monday wrote:
quigleyest wrote:173/3.65

Certainly, 173 won't be what keeps OP out, but if OP decides to apply next cycle, then there is absolutely nothing to lose by retaking particularly if a retake will make OP a more attractive splitter to the schools listed. At least, that would be one potentially rewarding path to take compared to, say, just crossing off the dates until next September.

quigleyest

New

Post by quigleyest » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:01 pm

brinicolec wrote:
appind wrote:
Monday wrote:

Y'all will tell someone with a 179 to retake, I swearrrrrr.

Also, OP it's unclear, have you gotten fee waivers? To answer your question, you have good numbers, though I'm not sure if they're Stanford numbers. Where are you trying to practice post-LS? Where do you WANT to go? But also, I don't really think retaking is necessary, especially if you have a concern about your $$$, but it also depends on where you're really set on going.
I am pretty sure I want to raise my family in California. My top 3 choices as it stands are Harvard (portability and magical power), Berkeley (enjoyable place), and Columbia (some portability and respect?)

I live in NYC after moving from SF. I think it is miserable here (compared to the Bay Area). I went to Michigan for undergraduate and I really have no desire to return to the midwest, so I pretty much would only apply to NU/UM for negotiation purposes. I would sort of loathe going back there for LS. I heavily think that Berkeley would provide me with the most enjoyable experience, but I am not sure if I should turn down a potential admission to CLS to go back out west. As it stands, I have no idea whether I would get into Berkeley (this year at least), or if I would be eligible to receive any scholarships. I have fee waivers for many schools outside of the top 6. I think I have them at Duke, Penn, Cornell, NU, Mich, and Virginia. I was thinking of doing Mich + UVA to have possible negotiation material.

Also, my work informally expects me to stay until 2018... I am not very much enjoying it (legal job), though am on the fence about 2017 or 2018 law school entry. Some attorneys are advising me to pump the brakes on LS applications, but somehow I feel restless. Their backgrounds include CCN full rides, so I think they are giving me solid advice on waiting. But nevertheless I feel like I am not learning anything/dying inside at work, where I am busy but more so like a drone.

Does anyone in here have any advice/information regarding scholarships and deferrals? Say I get into one out of CLS/Berkeley, but get no scholarship money. Would I have to apply again or could I ask for money next fall after taking a 1 year deferral. If I did receive a scholarship to one of them, would I be able to ask for it to be saved for 2018? I sort of threw in applications at the last moment this year because I realized that I might not want to take another year off working, and because I saw the data on lowered amounts of 170+ scorers (thus my reason for throwing together an SLS app, where I am not convinced I have much of a chance of being admitted to)

Thanks for all of your advice (to everyone who replied)
Last edited by quigleyest on Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”