TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

charles117

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by charles117 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:40 pm

RParadela wrote:I mean, it's not crazy to think that the Obama daughters are very smart. Barrack went to Columbia and Harvard without any "unfair" advantages and Michelle went to Princeton and Harvard without any "unfair" advantages either.

Chances are that their children are pretty damn smart too
ahem affirmative act... I mean social justice

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:47 pm

can we have a moratorium on first family convos? i think, like cooley jokes, theyve run their course here.

also if you see any dumb posts just don't respond to them. it will help make the thread less dumb.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:47 pm

charles117 wrote:
RParadela wrote:I mean, it's not crazy to think that the Obama daughters are very smart. Barrack went to Columbia and Harvard without any "unfair" advantages and Michelle went to Princeton and Harvard without any "unfair" advantages either.

Yeah, I like Obama and voted for him and am a big fan, but hear tell is that he benefitted from being African American when applying to Harvard. Although he hasn't released his stats, records show the numbers from Columbia UG AAs that applied to Harvard and got in, and in all odds he likely had numbers around 171/3.6, which are great, but don't get you into Harvard on their own

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Post by Bob loblaw law blog » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:57 pm

Instrumental wrote:Although it's unfair, I'd say it's only in the general sense that life is unfair. The president's children have the ability to garner prestige and attention for the school that us lowly commoners can't and that is a huge contribution to the school I imagine. They also have the ability to provide insights and perspective that few will experience. So while it's not solely on the merit of school and work accomplishments, it is a uniquely beneficial trait which is what the committee is looking for in all of us to some degree.
I agree with the idea that it garners prestige/attention for the schools and that's probably what schools are hoping for when they admit them. Not so sure about the perspective thing. I think having them in a law school class might have more of a negative effect, where people don't want to attack the policies or legal arguments of the person's parents while they're sitting right next to them. Or people could be afraid for their future career prospects if something they said that Dad doesn't like gets back to them. Or someone might obnoxiously brown-nose to try to enhance thier chances at some jobs (I don't think that would work, but the current administration does seem receptive to flattery) . Just a lot of unnecessary incentives to not participate/be annoying in class.

Not to mention the costs that come with security and media presence, or the PR headache the school would ensure if they were somehow seen as slighting POTUS daughter for political reasons (I can see something like this occurring at NYU, esp given the stereotype people already have in thier heads about NYU).

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:01 pm

chargers21 wrote:
charles117 wrote:

Yeah, I like Obama and voted for him and am a big fan, but hear tell is that he benefitted from being African American when applying to Harvard. Although he hasn't released his stats, records show the numbers from Columbia UG AAs that applied to Harvard and got in, and in all odds he likely had numbers around 171/3.6, which are great, but don't get you into Harvard on their own
And then he was on Law Review when he was at Harvard so what is the point in trying to undermine his success by calling into question the ..... nvm.

I'm not gonna get into this convo. Y'all be blessed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Post by Bob loblaw law blog » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:02 pm

chargers21 wrote:
charles117 wrote:

Source? I don't doubt you, I just think it would be amusing if I could confirm that me and Barry O are almost Numbers twins

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:05 pm

found a list of all the FAFSA codes http://www.top-law-schools.com/fafsa-co ... -list.html

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:06 pm

proteinshake wrote:found a list of all the FAFSA codes http://www.top-law-schools.com/fafsa-co ... -list.html
If I were you, I'd double-check to make sure they're all accurate just because that post is seven years old and idk if those things tend to change lol.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:09 pm

brinicolec wrote:
proteinshake wrote:found a list of all the FAFSA codes http://www.top-law-schools.com/fafsa-co ... -list.html
If I were you, I'd double-check to make sure they're all accurate just because that post is seven years old and idk if those things tend to change lol.
if they still pop up on FAFSA does it mean they're accurate? or would old ones and new ones both pop up?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:09 pm

proteinshake wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
if they still pop up on FAFSA does it mean they're accurate? or would old ones and new ones both pop up?
That's something I'm not sure about. I feel like they're probably still accurate, just because it seems stupid for FAFSA to keep old codes on file if they're not gonna work lol

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:10 pm

brinicolec wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
That's something I'm not sure about. I feel like they're probably still accurate, just because it seems stupid for FAFSA to keep old codes on file if they're not gonna work lol
just checked, they are accurate (at least most of the T14)

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:12 pm

brinicolec wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
charles117 wrote:

And then he was on Law Review when he was at Harvard so what is the point in trying to undermine his success by calling into question the ..... nvm.

Don't forget graduated at the top end of his class.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:16 pm

Can we please end this discussion? These arguments tend to be pointless and people tend to have intractable viewpoints on AA/legacy/famous person admission standards. We should have a new poll as to the state of our cycles (i.e. do you know where you're going, close to decided, no idea (me)).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:27 pm

curry1 wrote:Can we please end this discussion? These arguments tend to be pointless and people tend to have intractable viewpoints on AA/legacy/famous person admission standards. We should have a new poll as to the state of our cycles (i.e. do you know where you're going, close to decided, no idea (me)).
Where are you thinking of attending as of now?

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:29 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
curry1 wrote:Can we please end this discussion? These arguments tend to be pointless and people tend to have intractable viewpoints on AA/legacy/famous person admission standards. We should have a new poll as to the state of our cycles (i.e. do you know where you're going, close to decided, no idea (me)).
UChi, but I'm waiting on all of HYSCN still, so everything is completely up in the air.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:42 pm

curry1 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
UChi, but I'm waiting on all of HYSCN still, so everything is completely up in the air.
That's a great school to have in your pocket while you wait lol.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:04 pm

curry1 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Duke, but still waiting on CNPV and HS (reachin)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:06 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
charles117 wrote:

By no means was I hating on affirmative action or Barry O. I think the man's a genius and was a great president. And he also shredded at law school. But as TLS users we're aware that physically getting into the school was surely helped by his URM status. That's all I was pointing out.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:29 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
charles117 wrote:

By no means was I hating on affirmative action or Barry O. I think the man's a genius and was a great president. And he also shredded at law school. But as TLS users we're aware that physically getting into the school was surely helped by his URM status. That's all I was pointing out.
No harm done bro. Much love lol.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Was affirmative action primarily used in college admissions when he applied to school? I was under the impression it was a newer thing

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:04 pm

I wish there was footage of his JS1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:05 pm

And Michelle

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:05 pm

God I love them

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:22 pm

Rigo wrote:God I love them

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:39 pm

Rigo wrote:God I love them
These vacation memes are killing me lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”