TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Re: Real Housewives of TLS - c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by tuesdayninja » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:51 pm

dasq5511 wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:What's the deal with negotiating using offers from school's who's deposit deadlines have already passed? Is it expected/required that you've double deposited or can you continue negotiating with the offers even if the deadline has passed and you didn't double deposit?
Sorry to interrupt the shitposting, but does anyone know?

Pretty sure you'll need to double deposit. You lose the scholarship if you don't deposit.

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:57 pm

chargers21 wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
jstans wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
jstans wrote:If it flies it dies, if it crawls it falls *revs engine of lifted Ford with Browning and Ducks Unlimited stickers on the back before tearing across a muddy field*.
I think we just became best friends
True to my roots, and the mud on my boots.

*disclaimer: not actually a "country bo" but am definitely a resident of such a state
hahah O... Idk if my state is considered country but I grew up like it. So sad that I my CC permit doesn't overlap where i think i'll be heading for school.
I am "country" from a state that condones such people. Choosing between 2 schools right now, one where my CC permit is honored and the other where it's not. Which also relates to the people discussing the completely different trajectories that their lives will take depending on school choice.
I do my fair share of hunting and own guns because of it. Personally I've never felt the need for a CC permit (though most of my family has one), so that isn't influencing my decision much. However, our state AG does love to bring up her opinion that our constitution allows open carry, which is always a fun debate. My guns will be staying at home for LS regardless.

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:02 pm

chargers21 wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote: hahah O... Idk if my state is considered country but I grew up like it. So sad that I my CC permit doesn't overlap where i think i'll be heading for school.
I am "country" from a state that condones such people. Choosing between 2 schools right now, one where my CC permit is honored and the other where it's not. Which also relates to the people discussing the completely different trajectories that their lives will take depending on school choice.
I've been looking into this the last few weeks. Maybe someone help me out here. I'm headed to Michigan and I'm trying to figure out what the laws are. It looks like they have handgun registration (See: 28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol), with an exception for nonresidents with a CC permit from their home state. It doesn't seem to get talked about much (based strictly on google searches), so that makes me question whether this is accurate/up to date. Anyone want to make me happy by telling me I'm reading this wrong?

I'm not really interested in actually carrying and my state has constitutional carry anyway, so I've never bothered getting my permit, unfortunately :roll:

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:08 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:10 pm

Sarastro wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote: hahah O... Idk if my state is considered country but I grew up like it. So sad that I my CC permit doesn't overlap where i think i'll be heading for school.
I've been looking into this the last few weeks. Maybe someone help me out here. I'm headed to Michigan and I'm trying to figure out what the laws are. It looks like they have handgun registration (See: 28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol), with an exception for nonresidents with a CC permit from their home state. It doesn't seem to get talked about much (based strictly on google searches), so that makes me question whether this is accurate/up to date. Anyone want to make me happy by telling me I'm reading this wrong?

I'm not really interested in actually carrying and my state has constitutional carry anyway, so I've never bothered getting my permit, unfortunately :roll:
From what i can see on usacarry.com , it doesn't look like michigan is friendly to CC from most places. I'm having the same issue with Illinois, which is annoying. If you want coverage in a good amount of states (clearly michigan/illionis not included) I would suggest sitting for your Utah permit, which will cover you in 34 states i believe.

My buddies will be living with my brother during LS, hopefully I can figure it out afterwards.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dasq5511

Bronze

Post by dasq5511 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:17 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:What's the deal with negotiating using offers from school's who's deposit deadlines have already passed? Is it expected/required that you've double deposited or can you continue negotiating with the offers even if the deadline has passed and you didn't double deposit?

Pretty sure you'll need to double deposit. You lose the scholarship if you don't deposit.
My question was more concerning the fact that the deadline for the school I intend to go to is later than that of the schools who's offers I'm using to negotiate with them. So do I need to deposit at the other schools to even use their offers as a negotiating tool?

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:20 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

From what i can see on usacarry.com , it doesn't look like michigan is friendly to CC from most places. I'm having the same issue with Illinois, which is annoying. If you want coverage in a good amount of states (clearly michigan/illionis not included) I would suggest sitting for your Utah permit, which will cover you in 34 states i believe.

My buddies will be living with my brother during LS, hopefully I can figure it out afterwards.
They would recognize my permit, luckily. My concern is more that I don't want to have to register my guns with anyone, just out of personnel preference. It just unfortunately looks like I'll have to find a summer weekend to take a $100 class and get my $100 permit that I probably won't ever use. I thought you were cool, Michigan, what the heck.

That really sucks if you're going somewhere like CA that makes you a felon for bringing your collection with you. My problem is pretty minor relative to that.

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:25 pm

dasq5511 wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:

My question was more concerning the fact that the deadline for the school I intend to go to is later than that of the schools who's offers I'm using to negotiate with them. So do I need to deposit at the other schools to even use their offers as a negotiating tool?

Oh no I don't think so. As long as you haven't passed the deadlines the scholarships are alive. However, if you miss the deadline you'll have to deposit to keep the scholarship alive for negotiations with the school you intend to go to. So I'd get started negotiating now while you don't have to deposit and hope for bumps now.

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Sarastro wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

They would recognize my permit, luckily. My concern is more that I don't want to have to register my guns with anyone, just out of personnel preference. It just unfortunately looks like I'll have to find a summer weekend to take a $100 class and get my $100 permit that I probably won't ever use. I thought you were cool, Michigan, what the heck.

That really sucks if you're going somewhere like CA that makes you a felon for bringing your collection with you. My problem is pretty minor relative to that.
Yeah forget registering, that's not the life I'm about

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:39 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

I will never register my guns either. I've basically ruled out CA even though I like the weather and some of the schools I got into there. My issues right now lie with Chicago and their assault weapons ban, which casts a pretty wide net and hits about half of my collection. Great school, great jobs, and I love the area besides the weather. But what good is money if I can't spend it on the things I like to spend it on?

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:43 pm

chargers21 wrote:I will never register my guns either. I've basically ruled out CA even though I like the weather and some of the schools I got into there. My issues right now lie with Chicago and their assault weapons ban, which casts a pretty wide net and hits about half of my collection. Great school, great jobs, and I love the area besides the weather. But what good is money if I can't spend it on the things I like to spend it on?
UGH! i forgot about that. I need to start brushing up on my Chicago weapons knowledge, considering one of the schools there is my frontrunner. "Assault weapons" is such a joke of a concept.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:47 pm

chargers21 wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

I will never register my guns either. I've basically ruled out CA even though I like the weather and some of the schools I got into there. My issues right now lie with Chicago and their assault weapons ban, which casts a pretty wide net and hits about half of my collection. Great school, great jobs, and I love the area besides the weather. But what good is money if I can't spend it on the things I like to spend it on?
this is not a serious rec, but when I was at Alabama a lot of students had guns (prof asked anon)

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:49 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
chargers21 wrote:I will never register my guns either. I've basically ruled out CA even though I like the weather and some of the schools I got into there. My issues right now lie with Chicago and their assault weapons ban, which casts a pretty wide net and hits about half of my collection. Great school, great jobs, and I love the area besides the weather. But what good is money if I can't spend it on the things I like to spend it on?
UGH! i forgot about that. I need to start brushing up on my Chicago weapons knowledge, considering one of the schools there is my frontrunner. "Assault weapons" is such a joke of a concept.
My frontrunner is also in Chicago and the laws there are killing me for long term living reasons. Here's a link to the "assault weapons" ban info. http://directives.chicagopolice.org/lt2 ... l?ownapi=1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:51 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
Chicago's where I'd like to end up for at least a few years in biglaw, but that's a major concern of mine. They're constantly getting pulled into court for those things, however, and maybe by the time we're out of school there will be a shift in the supreme court's ideology on the issue. One can dream.

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:56 pm

chargers21 wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
My frontrunner is also in Chicago and the laws there are killing me for long term living reasons. Here's a link to the "assault weapons" ban info. http://directives.chicagopolice.org/lt2 ... l?ownapi=1
The shotgun regulations are the worst now that I'm reading them. That would cut apart even the average outdoorsman's collection

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:00 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
The shotgun regulations are the worst now that I'm reading them. That would cut apart even the average outdoorsman's collection
The obsession with folding stocks always cracks me up. It's just so blatantly to cover as many firearms as possible.

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:09 pm

Sarastro wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
The obsession with folding stocks always cracks me up. It's just so blatantly to cover as many firearms as possible.
I always like people that stress "SEMI-AUTOMATIC" weapons, as they almost never have a clue what that means.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:58 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
jstans wrote:Told myself I will deposit and withdraw from all other schools at noon CST today. Morning productivity has been completely demolished by the thought of "what if I choose school x instead of y, but what about z?" Damn my brain to hell.
almost feels as though I could have two very different lives by choosing one school over another. not knowing where I will end up is what makes deciding so hard.
This.

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:30 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
jstans wrote:Told myself I will deposit and withdraw from all other schools at noon CST today. Morning productivity has been completely demolished by the thought of "what if I choose school x instead of y, but what about z?" Damn my brain to hell.
almost feels as though I could have two very different lives by choosing one school over another. not knowing where I will end up is what makes deciding so hard.
This.
Yeeees! All of this. I let a deposit deadline pass by yesterday for a school I really liked...so tough but feels so good to not have that option weighing over me anymore

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:31 pm

Do i wait for my UT reconsideration to comeback before submitting an NU reconsideration? Can't decide where to prioritize, but I'll probably end up being deposited at both anyway

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Spivey being clutch once again

For all you worried doubled deposit people:

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/multiple_deposits/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:55 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:Spivey being clutch once again

For all you worried doubled deposit people:

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/multiple_deposits/
:shock: Thank you kindly!

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:22 pm

I am confused as fuck about loans.

From what I now understand, you are only allowed to take fed loans (Unsubsidized + PLUS) up to the amount of your school's COA, minus any scholarship you receive.

So if you have a full scholarship, you can only take what the school estimates as the COA in Fed loans.

is this correct?

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:29 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:I am confused as fuck about loans.

From what I now understand, you are only allowed to take fed loans (Unsubsidized + PLUS) up to the amount of your school's COA, minus any scholarship you receive.

So if you have a full scholarship, you can only take what the school estimates as the COA in Fed loans.

is this correct?
Yes. This is why a lot of schools will "overestimate" col for the categories they list. There are things (car, car insurance etc) that they are not allowed to include in COL estimates so you would need to find independent money if you have something like that

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:35 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote: is this correct?
Yup.
I've been told by law students to take out the full amount 1L because stuff will come up and you won't know if your summer job will be paid or eligible for a stipend/grant until way later in the year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”