Splitters in Limbo Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
capricasixx

Silver

Splitters in Limbo

Post by capricasixx » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:01 pm

Any other hardcore splitters out there feeling left out in the cold because our numbers make it so much harder to predict outcomes? Creating this thread so we can commiserate while we wait for decisions to roll in.

HawkeyeVodka34

New

Re: Splitters in Limbo

Post by HawkeyeVodka34 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:24 pm

Checking in. It seems like I'll be complete/UR forever. I'm getting really good at waiting though.

pandapops

New

Post by pandapops » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:32 pm

Fellow splitter here. The wait wouldn't be as bad if I didn't see everyone else's acceptances rolling in all over this site. Status checkers have become my mortal enemy

drblakedowns

Bronze

Post by drblakedowns » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:34 pm

I feel you. I'm a splitter who has no idea where I stand. I applied T13 in mid-December, and just haven't heard much.

I have gotten interviews at Columbia and Cornell, I'm waiting on FR for Berkeley, received the "we are taking a long time, but haven't forgotten you" email from NYU, and I have yet to be dinged from anywhere; but the only actual decision I have received is WL from Penn.

This uncertainty, combined with the small sample-size/hard to generalize data on myLSN and the fiance impatiently wanting to know where we are going to live next year (which is reasonable), makes the limbo a bit stressful.

Animosity

New

Post by Animosity » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:47 pm

Last edited by Animosity on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

capricasixx

Silver

Post by capricasixx » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:51 pm

pandapops wrote:Fellow splitter here. The wait wouldn't be as bad if I didn't see everyone else's acceptances rolling in all over this site. Status checkers have become my mortal enemy
Right?

Intuitively I know that I'm not in the "automatic admit" pile and will likely have to wait a bit longer, or ride the WL. Add to that the fact that I didn't get my apps in until Feb. 1. Nevertheless, I'm on the status checkers twice a day, and then refreshing the LSN graphs a couple more times a day to see if any fellow splitters made it into my schools. God help us all.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:52 pm

drblakedowns wrote:I feel you. I'm a splitter who has no idea where I stand. I applied T13 in mid-December, and just haven't heard much.

I have gotten interviews at Columbia and Cornell, I'm waiting on FR for Berkeley, received the "we are taking a long time, but haven't forgotten you" email from NYU, and I have yet to be dinged from anywhere; but the only actual decision I have received is WL from Penn.

This uncertainty, combined with the small sample-size/hard to generalize data on myLSN and the fiance impatiently wanting to know where we are going to live next year (which is reasonable), makes the limbo a bit stressful.
We're not dissimilar - I'm a big splitter. Denied at Cornell, WL at Columbia, Chicago, and Berkeley but accepted at Penn, Mich, UVA... LSN link is in my profile. I think splitters are having a pretty solid bid this year!

tezzeret

Bronze

Post by tezzeret » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:06 pm

Do you guys believe that being a splitter is the reason why we aren't getting decisions as quick as others?

wrestlme431

New

Post by wrestlme431 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:07 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
drblakedowns wrote:I feel you. I'm a splitter who has no idea where I stand. I applied T13 in mid-December, and just haven't heard much.

We're not dissimilar - I'm a big splitter. Denied at Cornell, WL at Columbia, Chicago, and Berkeley but accepted at Penn, Mich, UVA... LSN link is in my profile. I think splitters are having a pretty solid bid this year!
That's pretty surprising considering the uptick in 165+ LSAT scores this cycle. I can't believe Cornell dinged you, but from what I see they seem more GPA oriented.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HawkeyeVodka34

New

Post by HawkeyeVodka34 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:27 pm

Are any schools seeming to be particularly splitter friendly this cycle?

drblakedowns

Bronze

Post by drblakedowns » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:43 pm

tezzeret wrote:Do you guys believe that being a splitter is the reason why we aren't getting decisions as quick as others?
If law school admissions is as focused on numbers as folks say, it wouldn't surprise me if adcoms wanted to know the general numbers of their incoming class before deciding on a splitter.

That's at least my working theory.

wrestlme431

New

Post by wrestlme431 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:47 pm

HawkeyeVodka34 wrote:Are any schools seeming to be particularly splitter friendly this cycle?
From what I've seen on the spreadsheets, Georgetown and Michigan seem pretty splitter friendly. So pretty typical.

tezzeret

Bronze

Post by tezzeret » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:55 pm

drblakedowns wrote:
tezzeret wrote:Do you guys believe that being a splitter is the reason why we aren't getting decisions as quick as others?
If law school admissions is as focused on numbers as folks say, it wouldn't surprise me if adcoms wanted to know the general numbers of their incoming class before deciding on a splitter.

well I think your theory has merit because the schools my numbers are a match for, I got admitted already, and my reach schools are still experiencing radio silence.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HawkeyeVodka34

New

Post by HawkeyeVodka34 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:25 pm

tezzeret wrote:
drblakedowns wrote:

well I think your theory has merit because the schools my numbers are a match for, I got admitted already, and my reach schools are still experiencing radio silence.
It only makes sense. They have had plenty of time to review our apps. I'm coming up on three months since I submitted mine, and a lot of people have been waiting even longer. If they were sure of what they wanted to do with us, they've had more than enough time to issue a decision.

tezzeret

Bronze

Post by tezzeret » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:30 pm

So basically if that theory is correct, is that good or bad in the long run?

drblakedowns

Bronze

Post by drblakedowns » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:58 pm

tezzeret wrote:So basically if that theory is correct, is that good or bad in the long run?

My thoughts are that it is better than a WL or a ding, but its a crapshoot for each school depending on how each school's numbers look?

For me, I'm hoping that some number of schools will think something along the lines of "His LSAT will help (or not hurt) us, we are strong enough with our GPA numbers that he won't really bring them down, and we think he will be a good student (or add something unique) for our class, so let's give him a shot."

It may be wishful thinking, but without much feedback thus far, that's what I'm going with.

tezzeret

Bronze

Post by tezzeret » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:46 am

drblakedowns wrote:
tezzeret wrote:So basically if that theory is correct, is that good or bad in the long run?

My thoughts are that it is better than a WL or a ding, but its a crapshoot for each school depending on how each school's numbers look?

For me, I'm hoping that some number of schools will think something along the lines of "His LSAT will help (or not hurt) us, we are strong enough with our GPA numbers that he won't really bring them down, and we think he will be a good student (or add something unique) for our class, so let's give him a shot."

It may be wishful thinking, but without much feedback thus far, that's what I'm going with.
If only that was the truth of the matter. Of course in my position that would be fantastic, but who knows. I got dinged from all of my reach schools thus far and have 2 left standing, so we'll see.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Archibald

New

Post by Archibald » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:02 am

Splitter here. <3 gpa, 169.. Denied at mich and Cornell.. In at wash u with minimal $.. In at case western with good $. Silence from about 8 others... Plus many Canadian schools

Waiting is horseshit

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:00 am

Guess I may as well join this party.

tezzeret

Bronze

Post by tezzeret » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:08 am

tsujimoto74 wrote:Guess I may as well join this party.
party... More like the Island of Lost Toys. Man being a splitter sucks, you really have no idea what to expect and when to expect it.

pixalia

New

Post by pixalia » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:11 am

I am also waiting to hear back from UT and Michigan having gone complete at the end of November. Priority WLed at Georgetown and Duke and dinged at Northwestern...I always had a 50/50 shot at Georgetown but was pretty surprised to get dinged by Northwestern since no one with my stats got dinged there last year. Leaves me with not much hope for Michigan and Penn. Already in with good money at WashU. I think my best bets at this point are UT and UCLA. I just can't take this wait much longer!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zozo1717

Bronze

Post by zozo1717 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:28 am

HawkeyeVodka34 wrote:Are any schools seeming to be particularly splitter friendly this cycle?
I'm kind of a splitter (not a SUPER high LSAT, but for schools I'm in I'm either at or above median LSAT) - in at Georgetown, Michigan, Cornell and Northwestern, UT and a few others and WL @ Chicago, Berkeley and Penn. NU is usually pretty splitter friendly and it seems like GULC is as well (the usual?)

jumbo2016

Silver

Post by jumbo2016 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:47 am

I guess I seem to be the exception. 169 LSAT, 3.1ish GPA. In at most places I applied including Mich, GULC. I've heard from everywhere else (WL at Penn and Vandy) but dear lord I've been stuck CR2 at USC for almost a month. Applied on 10/21 and still haven't heard. I'm beginning to feel like at this rate I'm not going to hear from them before the deposit deadline.

edit: I didn't apply anywhere higher rank than Penn so maybe that's why I heard back more quickly than a lot of people

drblakedowns

Bronze

Post by drblakedowns » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:11 pm

It is very possible that this "splitter limbo" does not actually exist, and it just seems like it because the only people who we are hearing from are those posting on TLS and LSN and I am absolutely sure that the folks active on those sites (especially TLS forums) are a self selecting group.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:13 pm

Well, well, well, the most diabolical splitters this side of the Mississippi.

At this point I'm just hoping that I hear back from everywhere by the end of March, and maybe I'll be under review at USC by the time that 1L starts up in the fall.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”