Waitlist Oasis c/o 2019 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What is your waitlist status at this point in the cycle?

What's a waitlist? I got into all of the schools that I applied to
2%
I withdrew from all of my waitlists and have committed to one school
11%
I'm still waitlisted at like a million schools
20%
I'm still riding a few this summer to see what happens
27%
I'm still waiting on that call from my dream school
38%
HYS or bust!
2%
Other (let us know in the comments)
No votes

Total votes: 55

OtterLaw

Silver

Re: Waitlist Oasis c/o 2019

Post by OtterLaw » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:15 pm

genericwit wrote:
genericwit wrote:Waitlist update:

Harvard (Why Harvard/LOCI combo addendum sent)
Chicago (Sent a LOCI; Why Chicago essay sent before interview in March)
Columbia (haven't sent anything; not sure I will)
Cornell (Sent a LOCI; Why Cornell essay sent after interview in February)
Georgetown (withdrawn)
University of Texas (I went there for undergrad; eff them for waitlisting me)
UCLA (sent a LOCI but will probably actually withdraw; their bar passage stats are worse than USC's)
Vanderbilt (withdrawn; not even sure why I applied; I declined an interview)

How's that for a mixed bag? Haha. I'm putting in my deposit for USC this week; totally fell in love with the place.

Still pending at NYU. I think they've forgotten about me. Haha.
Waitlist update:

Got a phone call today from the assistant dean of admissions at University of Texas. I'm in. I can't believe I got in off the waitlist this early. Without a LOCI. Without a 'Why Texas' essay. Just before I was about to withdraw. As fun as undegrad was in Austin, I'm kind of looking forward to LA.
Apparently ignoring UT is the key to getting off the WL. I've heard many people getting the call with that strategy. Silly me with my LOCIs and genuine interest. About to withdraw myself so maybe I'll get the call today too. Lol

ETA: Congrats to you! Meant to put that in the original post.

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:28 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
genericwit wrote:

Georgetown (withdrawn)
UCLA (sent a LOCI but will probably actually withdraw; their bar passage stats are worse than USC's)

How's that for a mixed bag? Haha. I'm putting in my deposit for USC this week; totally fell in love with the place.

Waitlist update:

Got a phone call today from the assistant dean of admissions at University of Texas. I'm in. I can't believe I got in off the waitlist this early. Without a LOCI. Without a 'Why Texas' essay. Just before I was about to withdraw. As fun as undegrad was in Austin, I'm kind of looking forward to LA.
Apparently ignoring UT is the key to getting off the WL. I've heard many people getting the call with that strategy. Silly me with my LOCIs and genuine interest. About to withdraw myself so maybe I'll get the call today too. Lol

Thanks! Haha. I feel really bad, but I think I'm going to decline. Like I said, I'm still super salty that I got waitlisted in the first place. Unless they give me a substantial scholarship, I don't care. But if they're calling this early, lots of people must have declined, so your odds should be good.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:31 pm

genericwit wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:
genericwit wrote:

Georgetown (withdrawn)

Waitlist update:

Thanks! Haha. I feel really bad, but I think I'm going to decline. Like I said, I'm still super salty that I got waitlisted in the first place. Unless they give me a substantial scholarship, I don't care. But if they're calling this early, lots of people must have declined, so your odds should be good.
I'm a little salty too at this point. I had my hopes up when initial waitlist calls started going out a while back, but seeing people with worse numbers getting in makes me think I'm not what they're looking for. Oh well, UVA wants me and probably gives me better career options anyway.

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:46 pm

adj8103 wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:
adj8103 wrote:Received a reply to my LOCI the morning after sending it...
Hi ,

Thank you for your email, we appreciate you reaching out to us to express your continued interest. I have uploaded your letter to your application. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

...I was certain they'd just let me in after my flawless LOCI... :?
I have crafted what I'd like to think are 3 pretty good LOCIs to my top choice and I've been continually disappointed at the lack of any sort of response that I've gotten from any of them. All three were met with the same automated response and radio silence, while other waitlist candidates at the same school are getting in by literally not even responding to the initial waitlist email. :?
It's painful. I try to play it off to my friends like waitlists don't matter... but TLS knows my feels... This is rough! Good luck otter!
My friends know my feels. I took a day off work, drank myself into oblivion, and cried when Chicago waitlisted me. In opposite order. My friends have taken to handing me a shot when I walk into any room.

conztance

New

Post by conztance » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:27 pm

I'm English, so when visiting home (London) how do you guys feel about me sending pretty little postcards to the admissions teams (T14 schools) reminding them that I'm the most fabulous person they ever made the mistake of waitlisting?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stemal

New

Post by Stemal » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:54 pm

conztance wrote:I'm English, so when visiting home (London) how do you guys feel about me sending pretty little postcards to the admissions teams (T14 schools) reminding them that I'm the most fabulous person they ever made the mistake of waitlisting?
it'd be a mistake if you didn't, tbh

shaybaybayy

New

Post by shaybaybayy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:18 pm

2 questions:

First, I already sent a LOCI to the school before my decision to be on the waitlist was given to me (because I applied early and didn't hear back forever). Should I send another one?

Second, I can stay on the waitlist despite a scholarship even if the offer says withdraw all other applications? I've asked a few people about this and the answer seems to be yes but I'm so paranoid so if anyone has another take on this pls let me know!

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:28 pm

shaybaybayy wrote:2 questions:

First, I already sent a LOCI to the school before my decision to be on the waitlist was given to me (because I applied early and didn't hear back forever). Should I send another one?

Second, I can stay on the waitlist despite a scholarship even if the offer says withdraw all other applications? I've asked a few people about this and the answer seems to be yes but I'm so paranoid so if anyone has another take on this pls let me know!
You have to withdraw from all schools you've received a decision from when you accept a scholarship and deposit. BUT, a waitlist offer is not a decision so you can remain on waitlists even after accepting the scholarship. I'm sure other people will back me up on this.

zozo1717

Bronze

Post by zozo1717 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:43 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
shaybaybayy wrote:2 questions:

You have to withdraw from all schools you've received a decision from when you accept a scholarship and deposit. BUT, a waitlist offer is not a decision so you can remain on waitlists even after accepting the scholarship. I'm sure other people will back me up on this.
A lot of folks have referenced this blog post when the question comes up: https://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/jd- ... ruth-power

Basically, a waitlist is not a "decision" so you can accept a new offer even if you've deposited, accepted a scholarship, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wannabeJD2016

New

Post by wannabeJD2016 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:22 am

Late to the party - but waitlisted at

Hastings
Loyola
UC Irvine
Chapman
Southwestern

wtf. crying on the inside :cry:

benjaye

New

Post by benjaye » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:52 am

wannabeJD2016 wrote:Late to the party - but waitlisted at

Hastings
Loyola
UC Irvine
Chapman
Southwestern

wtf. crying on the inside :cry:
That's a bizarre array in terms of stats. Chapman and SW could be YPs!

Toure2016

New

Post by Toure2016 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:05 am

Hey guys,

I was placed on the hold list early January at my top choice. I visited earlier last month and then was placed on the waitlist. I visited, sat in two classes and spoke with an admission counselor, I sent a LOCI. I have maxed out my LSAT retakes ... What else could I do to increase my chances?

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:01 am

Toure2016 wrote:Hey guys,

I was placed on the hold list early January at my top choice. I visited earlier last month and then was placed on the waitlist. I visited, sat in two classes and spoke with an admission counselor, I sent a LOCI. I have maxed out my LSAT retakes ... What else could I do to increase my chances?
Send pizza and beer?

In more seriousness, have you spoken with either professor who's class you sat in on? If you can strike up a conversation and maybe get one to put in a word for you - no idea how likely it might be.

Edit: Phone issues.
Last edited by TheProdigal on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:29 am

OtterLaw wrote: I love how in the waitlist email they act like you are SUCH a qualified applicant and they just don't have room right now for you. I'm all like, bitch please, if I was a "qualified" applicant you should be sending me an acceptance letter. Ugh.
lol honestly +100

Joining you guys in the WL party because misery loves company.
Wait list so far:
Harvard
Chicago
UCLA
Cornell
Georgetown (preferred WL)

Dead silence from NYU and Columbia since Nov/Dec. Expecting WL or rejection tbh :(

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:09 pm

Another WL today. Getting waitlisted pretty much everywhere in the T14 so far (except for Penn and Cornell, who rejected me outright, because Penn and I have no idea, respectively). Damn the splitter life. I figured being at/above 75th on the LSAT for every school Stanford and down would get me something in the T14, but I'm not having any luck so far.

WaitWaitDontSay

Bronze

Post by WaitWaitDontSay » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:05 pm

Silly/quick question. If I want to send another LOR (that's already of file with LSAC) to a school, all I have to do is assign that letter to them on LSAC and it'll automatically go to them. Right?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:07 pm

WaitWaitDontSay wrote:Silly/quick question. If I want to send another LOR (that's already of file with LSAC) to a school, all I have to do is assign that letter to them on LSAC and it'll automatically go to them. Right?
Right

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WaitWaitDontSay

Bronze

Post by WaitWaitDontSay » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:07 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
WaitWaitDontSay wrote:Silly/quick question. If I want to send another LOR (that's already of file with LSAC) to a school, all I have to do is assign that letter to them on LSAC and it'll automatically go to them. Right?
Right
Perfect. Thanks!

kangaroo430

New

Post by kangaroo430 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:10 pm

Stemal wrote:
conztance wrote:I'm English, so when visiting home (London) how do you guys feel about me sending pretty little postcards to the admissions teams (T14 schools) reminding them that I'm the most fabulous person they ever made the mistake of waitlisting?
it'd be a mistake if you didn't, tbh
Its definitely a good idea! Cant see how that would hurt. My past experience dealing with Royal Mail was not so pleasant though. It took them forever to deliver a simple damn document.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:39 pm

OtterLaw wrote: I'm a little salty too at this point. I had my hopes up when initial waitlist calls started going out a while back, but seeing people with worse numbers getting in makes me think I'm not what they're looking for. Oh well, UVA wants me and probably gives me better career options anyway.
I mean, I'm still up for the UT/UVA trade if you are :lol:

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:41 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
OtterLaw wrote: I'm a little salty too at this point. I had my hopes up when initial waitlist calls started going out a while back, but seeing people with worse numbers getting in makes me think I'm not what they're looking for. Oh well, UVA wants me and probably gives me better career options anyway.
I say no only because then we won't be classmates! I hope you get in at UVA. I'm committing there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:43 pm

Try being on GULC's "Preferred Waitlist" last year and watching people on the "Regular Waitlist" get in through the entirety of the summer.

This year I'm on the Regular Waitlist. So its better, right? Right? RIGHT??

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:45 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:
I say no only because then we won't be classmates! I hope you get in at UVA. I'm committing there.
First off, congrats on committing! Now I have even more reasons to try. Sending in my LOCI later today, visiting in a few weeks. Hopefully that's enough, if not I don't really know what else to do. I might retake in June? I'm already way above their 75th but a few extra points could help in theory. I mean, I'm even considering shaving my beard before I go visit just to look more professional; if that isn't wholehearted commitment I don't know what is.

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:47 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:
First off, congrats on committing! Now I have even more reasons to try. Sending in my LOCI later today, visiting in a few weeks. Hopefully that's enough, if not I don't really know what else to do. I might retake in June? I'm already way above their 75th but a few extra points could help in theory. I mean, I'm even considering shaving my beard before I go visit just to look more professional; if that isn't wholehearted commitment I don't know what is.
I cut my hair short for the first time in 17 years for waitlist visits.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:48 pm

TheProdigal wrote: I cut my hair short for the first time in 17 years for waitlist visits.
Haha oh man, glad I'm not alone in this. My beard is currently at like five months length. I don't want to shave, but if it helps me get into a great school then I will.

Also, next post for you is 1,000. Make it count :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”