University of San Diego c/o 2019 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
yenisey

Re: University of San Diego c/o 2019 Applicants

Postby yenisey » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:48 am

LShopeful2016 wrote:Has anyone anyone tried negotiating scholarships yet? What was the outcome?

Sorry I mistook this post for Loyola. USD granted me 28K/yr. I leveraged with an offer of 40K/yr (besides, ranking higher than USD). About a month later they amended my amount to 35K/yr.

yenisey

Postby yenisey » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:50 am

legallybrunette94 wrote:Initially offered $24k per year. Just sent an e-mail last week with my letter from Loyola to try and negotiate a better offer. USD replied and said my application has been sent to the appeals committee. I should be hearing back soon, so I'll keep you all updated.

It will take several weeks to receive their reply, according to my experience.

rdb

Postby rdb » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:42 pm

For those that have sent out negotiation letters, was there a specific person you addressed in your letter? Or was it just the admissions or financial aid office in general?

yenisey

Postby yenisey » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:21 am

rdb wrote:For those that have sent out negotiation letters, was there a specific person you addressed in your letter? Or was it just the admissions or financial aid office in general?

Just in general, or reply to the address which sent you the acceptance letter.

kitkat12

Postby kitkat12 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:45 pm

Admitted a while back, just withdrew w/ a substantial amount of scholarship $. Hopefully this helps everyone who's still waiting to hear back and/or to negotiate their scholarships! Good luck to everybody with your cycles :)

jesinka90

Postby jesinka90 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:23 pm

I was waitlisted in February. Went to tor the campus yesterday and sat down to speak with the Assistant Dean about my interest in USD. Today, I got an e-mail that I'm being offered a seat in their class:)

LShopeful2016

Postby LShopeful2016 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:53 pm

jesinka90 wrote:I was waitlisted in February. Went to tor the campus yesterday and sat down to speak with the Assistant Dean about my interest in USD. Today, I got an e-mail that I'm being offered a seat in their class:)

congratulations!!!

jesinka90

Postby jesinka90 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:09 pm

LShopeful2016 wrote:
jesinka90 wrote:I was waitlisted in February. Went to tor the campus yesterday and sat down to speak with the Assistant Dean about my interest in USD. Today, I got an e-mail that I'm being offered a seat in their class:)

congratulations!!!

Thank you!!!

lordmac69

Postby lordmac69 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:48 pm

Congrats! Had you sent a LOCI before you met with the Assistant Dean?

I was also waitlisted in February and would love to attend? What specifically interests you about USD? Thanks for the help!

jesinka90

Postby jesinka90 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:12 pm

lordmac69 wrote:

Congrats! Had you sent a LOCI before you met with the Assistant Dean?

I was also waitlisted in February and would love to attend? What specifically interests you about USD? Thanks for the help!

I hadn't sent a LOCI. I strongly encourage you to visit. I'm an example of how much they appreciate you going out of your way to show interest. I live in SD, it is the best school in the city and employers look to hire students from USD. Also, their Public Interest clinic and the law student community is really strong. PM me if you want for more info.

Jeebs

Postby Jeebs » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:00 pm

Hey All!

I am a soon-to-be graduate 3L from USD Law. I remember posting on these boards 3 years ago with the same curiosity and excitement that I know you all now have.

I spoke at the admitted student days last year but have been unable to attend any this year due to scheduling conflicts. If you have any questions about the school, career prospects, or just life in SD, I am happy to answer them.

Jeebs

Lawdog5

Postby Lawdog5 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:15 pm

Hi Jeebs,

This is a lot but there were too many hands up at Campus Visit Day to get these answered. Would you mind expanding on the following?
1) Your own experience with career prospects and your impression of your classmates' career prospects as well
2) Thoughts on USD alumni involvement with hiring/mentoring/internships from 1L to 3L
3) Thoughts on the quality of internships/externships available during the school year as a 2L/3L
4) Types of summer Opportunities available as a 1L and also as a 2L
5) Thoughts on the overall non-legal social life of USD (such as intramurals, Thursday night bar reviews, etc.)

Thanks!!

Jeebs

Postby Jeebs » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:48 pm

Lawdog5 wrote:Hi Jeebs,

This is a lot but there were too many hands up at Campus Visit Day to get these answered. Would you mind expanding on the following?
1) Your own experience with career prospects and your impression of your classmates' career prospects as well
2) Thoughts on USD alumni involvement with hiring/mentoring/internships from 1L to 3L
3) Thoughts on the quality of internships/externships available during the school year as a 2L/3L
4) Types of summer Opportunities available as a 1L and also as a 2L
5) Thoughts on the overall non-legal social life of USD (such as intramurals, Thursday night bar reviews, etc.)

Thanks!!

1) I have found career prospects to be great. I secured a post-bar position last spring in a very prestigious position. Additionally, I was made a competing offer in private practice quite recently. As far as classmates prospects, it seems that it is hit and miss. Some classmates of mine have jobs lined up while others are active searching. The majority of the people that worked in big law their 2L summer were made post-bar offers as well. I believe that career prospects, much like many things in law school, are much about academic performance and how much effort the individual puts into the search.

2) Alumni involvement is strong. I say that with the caveat that I am referring to the San Diego area. One thing that needs to be understood is that USD Law is very much a regional school. With that in mind, USD Law is the king of the hill in a big city. Alumni participate in mock interview courses, return for networking events, judge events such as mock trial and/or moot court, etc. Additionally, alumni will actively seek USD Law students over the other two schools in the area for jobs both during and post law school.

3) Internship/externship quality with government organizations is great. Again, I say this with San Diego in mind. The beauty of USD Law is that you are in a big city that has a very large federal district court, state trial and appellate court systems and all of the support systems for both (think US Attorney's Office, DA's Office, Federal Defenders, etc.) yet you only compete against two very low quality schools for positions at each of these. Contrast that to the Los Angeles area where they have a federal district court and state court system as well but you are competing with USC, UCLA, Pepperdine, Loyola, Southwestern, and UC Irvine. In San Diego you are a big fish in a little pond.

4) Summer becomes more difficult for finding government internship/externships. This is due in large part to the fact that people want to spend a summer in San Diego. So the same positions I mentioned above will get applications from top law schools around the nation. That isn't to say it is impossible or even difficult, just not quite as easy as it is during the academic year. Summer jobs, whether it be 1L or 2L summers, are easy to find, frankly put. I know people that have worked in just about every type of office from big law down to working for a solo practitioner. It is all personal preference and there is no shortage of work.

5) Social life is what you make of it. San Diego is a very vibrant city and offers an unlimited number of things for a young adult to do. The problem is time. Don't forget that this is law school and free time is not abundant. As far as law school events go, you will not be bored. I can tell you now that if you attend USD Law you will be on a softball team. Intramural softball is huge at this school. It offers a great escape from studying and allows you to connect with fellow students in a non-academic setting from the start. Bar reviews happen almost weekly and are at various clubs and bars all over town. They are well attended.

If you or anyone else has any other questions, feel free to ask.

Lawdog5

Postby Lawdog5 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:24 pm

Thanks for responding! I just have one follow-up to item 4 on summer opportunities for 1Ls and 2Ls. I know that summer associate gigs at biglaw firms pay well for 2Ls, but I was under the impression that the majority of government jobs (DA/PD) and public interest groups hire 1Ls as non-paid interns. Are there paying gigs for USD 1Ls and 2Ls that don't land a summer associate gig? Experience is nice and I know I'm not in a position to do much after my first year, but I'm not trying to work for free all summer. Thanks again!

desperatedreams

Postby desperatedreams » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:41 pm

withdrew today good luck

Jeebs

Postby Jeebs » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:11 pm

Lawdog5 wrote:Thanks for responding! I just have one follow-up to item 4 on summer opportunities for 1Ls and 2Ls. I know that summer associate gigs at biglaw firms pay well for 2Ls, but I was under the impression that the majority of government jobs (DA/PD) and public interest groups hire 1Ls as non-paid interns. Are there paying gigs for USD 1Ls and 2Ls that don't land a summer associate gig? Experience is nice and I know I'm not in a position to do much after my first year, but I'm not trying to work for free all summer. Thanks again!

You are correct that summer jobs for 1L's are largely public interest related that are unpaid. There are also a number of prestigious things such as interning for a federal judge, working with the US Attorney's Office, etc. That said, there are a number of paid jobs available for 1L's during summer. I even know of some students that landed big law jobs their 1L summers. I advise everyone to plan on working a job that does not pay during your 1L summer. This way if you land a job that pays, you are all the better. If you don't land a paid job, you are prepared and able to survive the four months.

Jobs for 2L's during summer that are paid are plentiful. I don't know anyone that was unable to acquire a paying job their 2L summer, if that was what they were seeking.

rdb

Postby rdb » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:08 pm

Has anyone successfully negotiated a scholarship increase?

FOBsoFLY

Postby FOBsoFLY » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:35 am

Jeebs wrote:Hey All!

I am a soon-to-be graduate 3L from USD Law. I remember posting on these boards 3 years ago with the same curiosity and excitement that I know you all now have.

I spoke at the admitted student days last year but have been unable to attend any this year due to scheduling conflicts. If you have any questions about the school, career prospects, or just life in SD, I am happy to answer them.

Jeebs

Hello Jeebs!

Thanks for offering to take questions. I have one regarding the culture/religious nature of USD. Is the school considered uber conservative or does the religious aspect go unnoticed? Also, in your opinion, would you attend USD over UC Hastings for public interest law? I am having a really hard time choosing between the two and as someone who has gone through this process, I would really appreciate your insight. Thank you so much!

Lawdog5

Postby Lawdog5 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:40 pm

Did anyone go to ASD this past Friday? I went to the March 18th ASD and thought there would be more people there considering the average class size.

Lawdog5

Postby Lawdog5 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:10 pm

USD just extended their first deposit deadline to April 30th to "coincide with other law schools." What other credible schools have an April 30th deadline?? Sounds like applicant deposit numbers aren't doing so hot and they need April 18th ASD to matter more. Thoughts anyone??

LShopeful2016

Postby LShopeful2016 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:13 pm

Lawdog5 wrote:USD just extended their first deposit deadline to April 30th to "coincide with other law schools." What other credible schools have an April 30th deadline?? Sounds like applicant deposit numbers aren't doing so hot and they need April 18th ASD to matter more. Thoughts anyone??

I think there's a lot of people asking for extensions so they figured they would just extend it all? I did.
Also, doesn't make sense to have that ASD AFTER the deposit deadline.

LShopeful2016

Postby LShopeful2016 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:14 pm

LShopeful2016 wrote:
Lawdog5 wrote:USD just extended their first deposit deadline to April 30th to "coincide with other law schools." What other credible schools have an April 30th deadline?? Sounds like applicant deposit numbers aren't doing so hot and they need April 18th ASD to matter more. Thoughts anyone??

I think there's a lot of people asking for extensions so they figured they would just extend it all? I did.
Also, doesn't make sense to have that ASD AFTER the deposit deadline.

I'll be attending that ASD now though. Anyone else going that day?

Jeebs

Postby Jeebs » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:55 pm

FOBsoFLY wrote:

Jeebs

Hello Jeebs!

Thanks for offering to take questions. I have one regarding the culture/religious nature of USD. Is the school considered uber conservative or does the religious aspect go unnoticed? Also, in your opinion, would you attend USD over UC Hastings for public interest law? I am having a really hard time choosing between the two and as someone who has gone through this process, I would really appreciate your insight. Thank you so much!

First off, the answer to your first question would most likely be 'yes.' The school and the student body is largely conservative. Many of the students have a desire to enter the legal world via BigLaw. The school's religious aspect largely goes unnoticed. You will get emails periodically from the ministry but nothing more than that. Outside the crosses all over the buildings, it would be easy to forget that you are at a Catholic university.

I really cannot answer whether USD Law would be better than UC Hastings. The only advice I can offer in regards to Hastings would be to visit the campus (I use the term loosely) and see if the downtown vibe is for you. I visited several campuses that had downtown buildings and could not stand them. I have very much enjoyed the more traditional college campus environment. That said, to each his (or her) own. I do know several people that are interested in pursuing public interest careers and are doing so successfully here at USD Law. I do not think there is any shortage of those opportunities in the San Diego area. In fact, given the competition for BigLaw and other firm jobs, it may be easier at a more conservative school to pursue a public interest career.

When choosing between the two, I would look at where you will be happy and most likely successful during your three years in law school. One thing that I have learned in this process is that rankings mean little to nothing once you are in law school unless you are going to a T-14 school (or a bottom feeder on the other end). Performance in law school is everything. Visit all campuses, talk to students, and spend a day or two in each city. My favorite question when trying to get a more honest answer from people: "What do you dislike the most about this school?"

FOBsoFLY

Postby FOBsoFLY » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:58 am

Jeebs wrote:
FOBsoFLY wrote:

Jeebs

Hello Jeebs!

First off, the answer to your first question would most likely be 'yes.' The school and the student body is largely conservative. Many of the students have a desire to enter the legal world via BigLaw. The school's religious aspect largely goes unnoticed. You will get emails periodically from the ministry but nothing more than that. Outside the crosses all over the buildings, it would be easy to forget that you are at a Catholic university.

I really cannot answer whether USD Law would be better than UC Hastings. The only advice I can offer in regards to Hastings would be to visit the campus (I use the term loosely) and see if the downtown vibe is for you. I visited several campuses that had downtown buildings and could not stand them. I have very much enjoyed the more traditional college campus environment. That said, to each his (or her) own. I do know several people that are interested in pursuing public interest careers and are doing so successfully here at USD Law. I do not think there is any shortage of those opportunities in the San Diego area. In fact, given the competition for BigLaw and other firm jobs, it may be easier at a more conservative school to pursue a public interest career.

When choosing between the two, I would look at where you will be happy and most likely successful during your three years in law school. One thing that I have learned in this process is that rankings mean little to nothing once you are in law school unless you are going to a T-14 school (or a bottom feeder on the other end). Performance in law school is everything. Visit all campuses, talk to students, and spend a day or two in each city. My favorite question when trying to get a more honest answer from people: "What do you dislike the most about this school?"

Thanks so much for the insight! I grew up in Irvine, CA so I'm more familiar with SoCal than NorCal and would rather attend USD where I've heard nothing but good things about job placement in the San Diego area. I also like that USD has a campus, whereas Hastings does not. I am glad about the April 30th extension, just a bit more time to make my decision. Thanks again!

queenb921

Postby queenb921 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:57 pm

Last edited by queenb921 on Mon May 09, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”