University of San Diego c/o 2019 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
benjaye

Re: University of San Diego c/o 2019 Applicants

Postby benjaye » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:38 am

Jeebs wrote:Hey All!

I am a soon-to-be graduate 3L from USD Law. I remember posting on these boards 3 years ago with the same curiosity and excitement that I know you all now have.

I spoke at the admitted student days last year but have been unable to attend any this year due to scheduling conflicts. If you have any questions about the school, career prospects, or just life in SD, I am happy to answer them.

Jeebs

Hi Jeebs!

Two questions:
1. What are your thoughts on USD's CSO? They can't replace being proactive on the student's part but are they helpful/well connected in San Diego?
2. What type of 2L/3L school term positions are common among your class?

Thank you!

Lawdog5

Postby Lawdog5 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:55 am

Deposit paid, but hoping for another scholarship bump.

Anyone know if there is a Facebook group for Admitted Students for Class of 2019? I think one of the 20 or so emails I've received mentioned it being started by the SBA.

Lawdog5

Postby Lawdog5 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:45 pm

2015 Employment Data is up now: https://www.sandiego.edu/law/careers/st ... a-2015.php

FTBPR: 138/247 (56%)
BigLaw+Fed Clerk: 42/247 (17%)
101-250: 17
251-500: 4
501+: 13
Fed Clerk: 8
Unemployed-Seeking: 35 (14%)
0 full time Public Interest is a bit surprising

They're definitely an improvement from last year's numbers below. Hopefully that trend continues.

FTBPR: 130/268 (49%)
BigLaw+Fed Clerk: 32/268 (12%)
101-250: 9
251-500: 1
501+: 19
Fed Clerk: 3
Unemployed-Seeking: 38 (14%)
PI: 5

LShopeful2016

Postby LShopeful2016 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:28 pm

benjaye wrote:

I am a soon-to-be graduate 3L from USD Law. I remember posting on these boards 3 years ago with the same curiosity and excitement that I know you all now have.

I spoke at the admitted student days last year but have been unable to attend any this year due to scheduling conflicts. If you have any questions about the school, career prospects, or just life in SD, I am happy to answer them.

Jeebs

Hi Jeebs!

Two questions:
1. What are your thoughts on USD's CSO? They can't replace being proactive on the student's part but are they helpful/well connected in San Diego?

Thank you!

Also how is OCI?

LShopeful2016

Postby LShopeful2016 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:44 am

Last edited by LShopeful2016 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawdog5

Postby Lawdog5 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:20 pm

I went to the first ASD so I'm interested in your thoughts on how today's was. Professor Jordan Barry ran my mock class and it covered the chicken case, which is a well-known contracts case apparently. He was sick that day and his voice was super hoarse, but he still managed to be pretty engaging and humorous. Our tour guide was meh, but the forums after the tour (current student and graduating students - I guess alumni just do the lunch sitdown) were better than others I've seen. Dean Ferruolo's bit at lunch was also solid and both he and Dean Garcia seemed like they were very candid in their discussion of the school, financial aid, etc. Overall, it was all a nice little presentation.

LShopeful2016

Postby LShopeful2016 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:21 pm

Lawdog5 wrote:I went to the first ASD so I'm interested in your thoughts on how today's was. Professor Jordan Barry ran my mock class and it covered the chicken case, which is a well-known contracts case apparently. He was sick that day and his voice was super hoarse, but he still managed to be pretty engaging and humorous. Our tour guide was meh, but the forums after the tour (current student and graduating students - I guess alumni just do the lunch sitdown) were better than others I've seen. Dean Ferruolo's bit at lunch was also solid and both he and Dean Garcia seemed like they were very candid in their discussion of the school, financial aid, etc. Overall, it was all a nice little presentation.

I went to this last one and I really loved it. I really enjoyed how open and honest they were about the financial aid process and about the school in general. Students were super nice. Torts class was interesting and the teacher seemed good. Food they gave was good and they had a professor and a current student or alumni at every single table so you can ask them questions. They had an alumni panel and a student panel, which I liked. The only "negative" thing I have to say is that the Dean is a bit stand off-ish. I don't really care about that, but others might.

Lawdog5

Postby Lawdog5 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:05 am

Sounds similar to mine. How many people were there? I'd say mine was around 75. Given the size of their typical class (200ish FT plus 30-40 PT), I expected that number to higher.

LShopeful2016

Postby LShopeful2016 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:20 pm

Lawdog5 wrote:Sounds similar to mine. How many people were there? I'd say mine was around 75. Given the size of their typical class (200ish FT plus 30-40 PT), I expected that number to higher.

I'd say about the same amount. But there are 3 ASDs so I think that's about right.

Lawdog5

Postby Lawdog5 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:49 pm

That sounds about right if every person attending the ASD ends up attending in the fall. Otherwise, that seems a bit low. Although, perhaps their numbers are lower because a lot of applicants are from SoCal so they can visit whenever it's convenient and actually sit on in a class.

Jeebs

Postby Jeebs » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:06 pm

benjaye wrote:

Jeebs

Hi Jeebs!

Two questions:

Thank you!

I've personally had mixed feelings about the CSO. The vibe I get from others is much the same. There are a number of people working in the office with some from public service sector and others from BigLaw/private practice. I've had a great experience with a couple that have been willing to help in just about any way imaginable. I've spoke with one that seemed largely disinterested in our conversation. I've spoken with yet another that pretty much had her own agenda and was trying to push it aggressively. Outside the one-on-one interactions, the office is great, as odd as that may sound. There are always panels, mixers, and you-name-its that bring in attorneys from every walk of life to talk to and mingle with the student body. That is where the proactive student part kicks in.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second question. Are you asking about positions available during the academic term?

benjaye

Postby benjaye » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:45 pm

Jeebs wrote:
benjaye wrote:

Jeebs

Hi Jeebs!

Two questions:

Thank you!

I've personally had mixed feelings about the CSO. The vibe I get from others is much the same. There are a number of people working in the office with some from public service sector and others from BigLaw/private practice. I've had a great experience with a couple that have been willing to help in just about any way imaginable. I've spoke with one that seemed largely disinterested in our conversation. I've spoken with yet another that pretty much had her own agenda and was trying to push it aggressively. Outside the one-on-one interactions, the office is great, as odd as that may sound. There are always panels, mixers, and you-name-its that bring in attorneys from every walk of life to talk to and mingle with the student body. That is where the proactive student part kicks in.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second question. Are you asking about positions available during the academic term?

Sorry my second question was really unclear. Do a good number of students obtain paid/non-paid positions during the school year? And if so, what type of positions (eg Law clerks and such)

Thanks for your insight on CSO!

Jeebs

Postby Jeebs » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:11 pm

LShopeful2016 wrote:
benjaye wrote:

Jeebs

Hi Jeebs!

Two questions:

Thank you!

Also how is OCI?

OCI is okay, I suppose. I cannot really compare it to another school's given I've only experienced it here. There is plenty to choose for multiple interests. OCI here is done in two rounds. The first round is typically BigLaw (Jones Day, DLA, etc.) and government agencies (USAO, DA, etc.). This round is predominantly for those that are ranked (top 20 in the class) with the exception being the DA's office. The second round is more medium sized and local firms. I don't remember any government being listed for round 2. Round 2 is better suited for those in the top half of the class. Application packages are submitted through the school. If you are selected by an employer you will be offered various time slots on a given day. It is first come first serve for time slots. If you make it past the first round of interviews, you will typically be invited to the firm for a second round of interviews before being offered a summer associate position. Government jobs will often make an offer after just one interview.

Hope that helped. If not, feel free to ask follow-ups!

Jeebs

Postby Jeebs » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:19 pm

benjaye wrote:
Jeebs wrote:
benjaye wrote:

Jeebs

Hi Jeebs!

Two questions:

Thank you!

Sorry my second question was really unclear. Do a good number of students obtain paid/non-paid positions during the school year? And if so, what type of positions (eg Law clerks and such)

Thanks for your insight on CSO!

Yes, a lot of students obtain both paid law clerk positions and non-paid intern/externships. In fact, I'd say that vast majority do during their 2L/3L years. Positions range from everything from some sort of law clerk position with a firm (paid) or government agency (think US Attorney's Office, DA's office, ICE, federal defenders, etc. that is unpaid but can be taken for credit) to internships with the state and federal courts. The beauty of San Diego is that it has two trial court systems (state and federal), bankruptcy court, immigration court, and two appellate court systems (state and federal) and USD Law is the far and away the best school in the area. That makes obtaining these positions that much easier during the academic year.

As far as the CSO, you are probably going to get that in a lot of places. You just need to know when the advice isn't right for you, smile, thank them for their time, and move on in whatever direction you deem best.

lolppp

Postby lolppp » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:19 pm

Hey, I know USD is a Catholic university. How much does that play in the university and in the law school in particular? How does the student body lean in regards to religion and politics? Thanks!

FOBsoFLY

Postby FOBsoFLY » Mon May 02, 2016 11:39 am

Officially deposited Saturday! Will be attending this fall unless I get off the waitlist at either UC Irvine or UC Davis :D

UsernameNotFound

Postby UsernameNotFound » Mon May 09, 2016 8:09 pm

So I've deposited at multiple schools and have joined multiple facebook pages for classes of 2019. I was actually surprised to see how few people joined the one for San Diego and how no one really posts anything on there. It's not like other schools, for example Pepperdine, who have current students and 0Ls posting on that page.
Not sure if that shows that people aren't really as involved at this school/they don't care or if the page wasn't advertised enough.

yelahjl

Postby yelahjl » Tue May 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Jeebs

Hi Jeebs,

Where do students typically live? I know they have the different areas listed on the site, but would like to hear from your point of view. Any ideas on non-traditional students? Single mom with 4 year old asking.

kmbrenn2

Postby kmbrenn2 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:33 pm

UsernameNotFound wrote:So I've deposited at multiple schools and have joined multiple facebook pages for classes of 2019. I was actually surprised to see how few people joined the one for San Diego and how no one really posts anything on there. It's not like other schools, for example Pepperdine, who have current students and 0Ls posting on that page.
Not sure if that shows that people aren't really as involved at this school/they don't care or if the page wasn't advertised enough.

I've deposited at USD but I'm still waiting to hear back from my top choice, ASU. I haven't joined the FB group yet because of this. Not sure if there are others in the same boat who don't want to get involved too early at one school only to "abandon ship" if they get into a higher choice.

I'm getting quite annoyed actually because I want to be happy and start joining groups and getting started but my pending status at ASU is making it difficult to fully commit at this point.

SochieGraham

Postby SochieGraham » Fri May 13, 2016 5:27 pm

I was admitted in early April and paid my first deposit already but haven't received an invite to the Facebook page. Is anyone else in that same boat?

lolppp

Postby lolppp » Fri May 13, 2016 6:34 pm

SochieGraham wrote:I was admitted in early April and paid my first deposit already but haven't received an invite to the Facebook page. Is anyone else in that same boat?

I paid my deposit and was emailed the Facebook group page. The email says to click join on the page and they'll accept you once "your status is verified."

Lawdog5

Postby Lawdog5 » Thu May 19, 2016 1:40 pm

The Class of 2019 FB group numbers do seem a bit low for mid May. I'm a bit concerned about the FB numbers when viewed in combination with the number of lower GPA/LSAT scores that were formerly waitlisted but recently admitted on LSN. Seems like USD is struggling to fill out its 200ish person full-time class. Oh well, as long as they still do well placing in SD I guess I'll be happy. It's still frustrating to see people clamoring for waitlists to higher ranked schools I passed on for USD though.

LShopeful2016

Postby LShopeful2016 » Tue May 24, 2016 12:31 pm

Lawdog5 wrote:The Class of 2019 FB group numbers do seem a bit low for mid May. I'm a bit concerned about the FB numbers when viewed in combination with the number of lower GPA/LSAT scores that were formerly waitlisted but recently admitted on LSN. Seems like USD is struggling to fill out its 200ish person full-time class. Oh well, as long as they still do well placing in SD I guess I'll be happy. It's still frustrating to see people clamoring for waitlists to higher ranked schools I passed on for USD though.

My thoughts as well.

Jeebs

Postby Jeebs » Tue May 31, 2016 11:21 am

yelahjl wrote:

Jeebs

Hi Jeebs,

Where do students typically live? I know they have the different areas listed on the site, but would like to hear from your point of view. Any ideas on non-traditional students? Single mom with 4 year old asking.

Hi there! Sorry for the delay - I have had a busy few weeks and am now studying for the bar.

People generally live in a few concentrated area. Many of the single students live in the apartments right along Linda Vista Rd. Those that don't mind a bit of a drive will usually live in the Clairemont area (north of campus near Balboa Ave) or Pacific Beach (west of campus). I lived in San Diego prior to attending law school and am about 40 minutes from school and commuted. If you are thinking about living in Pacific Beach, I would caution you that most that come from out of town and move to PB, only stay there for their first lease and then leave. PB is a major party area. While that sounds great for a 20-something moving to a coastal city, it is not beneficial to studying during your first year in law school. The first year is everything and how you do 1L year has a lasting effect on your time at school as well as post bar prospects. Separate yourself from the madness your first year. If you absolutely must live in PB after that, at least you've experienced it (in all likelihood at that point) and can make a more informed decision.

For a family, there are some condos that are just behind campus that are great. A friend of mine lived there with his wife and newborn daughter. They are quite literally right behind the softball fields and a short walk to campus. They are off of Via Las Cumbres and Caminito Del Oeste. If that doesn't work, check the mission valley area for additional living that is outside the college area.

LShopeful2016

Postby LShopeful2016 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:29 pm

Put in my second deposit last night. So I guess I'll be attending USD in the fall. See you guys there!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”