Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
CJRpnw
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby CJRpnw » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:11 pm

Danimals18 wrote:
Clytemnestra wrote:Is anyone worried about employment coming out of Minnesota? I would really love to go there but am just worried about finding a job as a lawyer after graduation. While number of non-school funded full time jobs is comparable to its peers, It seems like starting salary for most people is lower compared to similar ranked schools. What type of full-time JD jobs you think the 68+ percent non-school funded grads are getting? Is this like doc-review or just working at a small firm? Or other things?

ETA: do you think the employment numbers will go up with the soon to be graduating smaller class sizes?


Yes - and you should be concerned. You have to finish top 10% to have even a chance at a "biglaw" job, and even then, you are working in Minnesota, which as a tertiary market, does not offer top market rates. Granted, COL is much cheaper in Minnesota than on the coasts, so your money does go further. It's a real risk. I have a family friend who graduated recently, and while she was lucky enough to find a good job, most of her friends were still looking for a job, months after graduation. That's a scary prospect.


I think it's a fair point that the hiring market will be pretty different for the class of 2019 vs. the class of, say, 2014.

Shootin
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:16 am

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby Shootin » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:32 am

CJRpnw wrote:
Danimals18 wrote:
Clytemnestra wrote:Is anyone worried about employment coming out of Minnesota? I would really love to go there but am just worried about finding a job as a lawyer after graduation. While number of non-school funded full time jobs is comparable to its peers, It seems like starting salary for most people is lower compared to similar ranked schools. What type of full-time JD jobs you think the 68+ percent non-school funded grads are getting? Is this like doc-review or just working at a small firm? Or other things?

ETA: do you think the employment numbers will go up with the soon to be graduating smaller class sizes?


Yes - and you should be concerned. You have to finish top 10% to have even a chance at a "biglaw" job, and even then, you are working in Minnesota, which as a tertiary market, does not offer top market rates. Granted, COL is much cheaper in Minnesota than on the coasts, so your money does go further. It's a real risk. I have a family friend who graduated recently, and while she was lucky enough to find a good job, most of her friends were still looking for a job, months after graduation. That's a scary prospect.


I think it's a fair point that the hiring market will be pretty different for the class of 2019 vs. the class of, say, 2014.



I am not sure what warrants such assumptions in all honesty, unless "pretty different" stands for some reasonable fluctuations. Either way, I would not expect their big law numbers or general employment outcomes to be significantly better than they are now. Going in with such hopes in mind is kind of like hoping to win a lottery or something (just hoping for dumb luck).

Clytemnestra
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:26 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby Clytemnestra » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:24 pm

I get that MN is not the place to go if you want biglaw, since few get it...but what do you think the rest of the class is doing ? The majority are in full time, jd requiring jobs, what type of work do you think this is?

User avatar
The_Lorax
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:43 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby The_Lorax » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:15 pm

Clytemnestra wrote:I get that MN is not the place to go if you want biglaw, since few get it...but what do you think the rest of the class is doing ? The majority are in full time, jd requiring jobs, what type of work do you think this is?

https://www.law.umn.edu/career-center/2014-career-facts-statistics

User avatar
tuesdayninja
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby tuesdayninja » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:26 am

Withdrawing tonight, money back in the pot. Good luck all!

Clytemnestra
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:26 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby Clytemnestra » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:58 pm

UMN 2015 Data Employment released:

https://www.law.umn.edu/sites/law.umn.edu/files/aba_employment_summary_for_2015_graduates.pdf

The full-time long-term bar passage required job rate is down (67.6% of the class has one ten months out). Last year it was around 73%, not including school funded positions.

Big Law and Fed Clerkship rates are up, totaling 24.18%.

User avatar
SlithyTove
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:22 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby SlithyTove » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:25 pm

Robina Public Interest Scholars Program applications were due yesterday; anyone else apply? They say it's a competitive program with 18 positions but I wish I had some info on the specific number of applicants.

User avatar
CJRpnw
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby CJRpnw » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:48 pm

On a Minneapolis note: RIP, Prince. :cry:

Ugh, I'm so depressed about this. One of the things I was most looking forward to in Minneapolis was catching one of his local gigs.

User avatar
SlithyTove
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:22 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby SlithyTove » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:57 pm

CJRpnw wrote:On a Minneapolis note: RIP, Prince. :cry:

Ugh, I'm so depressed about this. One of the things I was most looking forward to in Minneapolis was catching one of his local gigs.


Same. This is a huge loss for the Minneapolis community. The Current's live stream is playing all of his albums chronologically today, interspersed with interviews with people who knew him. It's pretty moving and, if anything, is making me love Minnesota even more. http://www.thecurrent.org/listen

User avatar
Cosine12
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:57 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby Cosine12 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:19 pm

CJRpnw wrote:On a Minneapolis note: RIP, Prince. :cry:

Ugh, I'm so depressed about this. One of the things I was most looking forward to in Minneapolis was catching one of his local gigs.


I'm actually in Minneapolis right now (from Baltimore) for a school visit. It seems to be all anyone here is talking about.

User avatar
SlithyTove
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:22 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby SlithyTove » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:31 pm

For anyone who's committed to Minnesota, I started a C/O 2019 Admits thread: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=263267

User avatar
CJRpnw
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby CJRpnw » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:58 pm

SlithyTove wrote:For anyone who's committed to Minnesota, I started a C/O 2019 Admits thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=263267


Yessssss! Just deposited -- see you in the land of hot dish and near-Canadian winters!

User avatar
SlithyTove
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:22 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby SlithyTove » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:04 pm

CJRpnw wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:For anyone who's committed to Minnesota, I started a C/O 2019 Admits thread: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=263267


Yessssss! Just deposited -- see you in the land of hot dish and near-Canadian winters!


:D :D :D See you there!

anrobinson
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:17 am

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby anrobinson » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:56 pm

got admitted with 30k /yr . don't think ill attend.

elduderino55
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:43 am

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby elduderino55 » Fri May 06, 2016 3:49 pm

Anyone have any waitlist updates?

Stemal
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby Stemal » Fri May 06, 2016 5:49 pm

elduderino55 wrote:Anyone have any waitlist updates?

I got in last night with 120k. I almost threw up. One week to make a decision.

elduderino55
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:43 am

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby elduderino55 » Fri May 06, 2016 6:26 pm

Stemal wrote:
elduderino55 wrote:Anyone have any waitlist updates?

I got in last night with 120k. I almost threw up. One week to make a decision.


Wow! Congrats!!!

User avatar
CJRpnw
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby CJRpnw » Fri May 06, 2016 8:01 pm

Stemal wrote:
elduderino55 wrote:Anyone have any waitlist updates?

I got in last night with 120k. I almost threw up. One week to make a decision.


Nice! What's your decision down to now?

jocelyn6663
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby jocelyn6663 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:51 pm

hi everyone I just want to ask that does your scholly comes with the admission letter or come later? I am admitted but there's no scholly info yet. Thank you!

DareDreamer23
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 1:51 am

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby DareDreamer23 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:07 pm

I just got admitted off the waitlist today! I am also not really sure where they post scholly info. Is it on the admitted students website?

User avatar
CJRpnw
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby CJRpnw » Tue May 10, 2016 8:16 pm

jocelyn6663 wrote:hi everyone I just want to ask that does your scholly comes with the admission letter or come later? I am admitted but there's no scholly info yet. Thank you!


Mine came with my admission letter, which came very quickly! Can't speak to waitlist decisions, but I'd watch your mailbox.

jocelyn6663
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby jocelyn6663 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:38 pm

DareDreamer23 wrote:I just got admitted off the waitlist today! I am also not really sure where they post scholly info. Is it on the admitted students website?


I checked. There's no scholly info in the admitted students website. so maybe we have to wait or write another e-mail to ask them.

jocelyn6663
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby jocelyn6663 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:42 pm

CJRpnw wrote:
jocelyn6663 wrote:hi everyone I just want to ask that does your scholly comes with the admission letter or come later? I am admitted but there's no scholly info yet. Thank you!


Mine came with my admission letter, which came very quickly! Can't speak to waitlist decisions, but I'd watch your mailbox.


Thanks! :D

EastCoastICU
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:37 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby EastCoastICU » Wed May 11, 2016 11:14 am

Got off the waitlist with 70% scholarship. Very pleased :)

jocelyn6663
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Postby jocelyn6663 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:24 pm

EastCoastICU wrote:Got off the waitlist with 70% scholarship. Very pleased :)


Congrats! Could you please share your LSAT score? Thank you!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], DCKMK13, deadthrone7, Google [Bot], PostNihilist, SopranoSaxophone and 10 guests