Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SlithyTove

Bronze

Re: Minnesota C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016 cycle)

Post by SlithyTove » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:47 am

MacDhubstep wrote:
Clytemnestra wrote:I have a question for those who received scholarships. I am wondering a bit about the wording and stipulation.

It says "you have been selected to receive a Law School scholarship in the amount of full resident tuition and University fees for the 2016 - 2017 academic year. The current scholarship amount (approximately 43,235) will be automatically renewed for the second and third years of law school...provided you maintain a 2.5 gpa or above"

My two questions are:

1) so when tuition and fees increase the following year, does the award change to that amount or stay at the 2016-2017 amount? To me it sounds like the latter? Is there a scholarship that actual does the form?

2) Where does a 2.5 GPA stand on their curve?
To answer question 2:
My SO is a current law school student at UMN, and he checked on law school transparency and apparently Minnesota doesn't have a reputation for ending aid for scholarship recipients, so if you're concerned about that, I wouldn't be.
In response to your first question: Sounds to me like the award amount will stay the same from year to year, regardless of tuition increases. But If I were you, I'd call the financial aid department and ask them to clarify.

Congrats, by the way! That's an enviable position to be in.

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:56 pm

MacDhubstep wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
MacDhubstep wrote:160, 3.77. Applied December 11th, Accepted December 18th (I think?) Offered 20k a year. I plan on accepting (after attempting a further negotiation). :D

I am currently an undergrad at the University of Minnesota as well, so if anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer them. I'm also looking for a roommate for next year if anyone else has submitted seat deposits and are interested in those details. And hopefully I'll see some of you at the campus preview weekend on April 1st and 2nd. :D
Are you planning on negotiating through the negotiation form? Meaning, do you have an offer from one of the listed schools that you're using as leverage? Or are you negotiating cold? I'd love to know about your approach and how it goes for you. Good luck!
I plan on using the form. I applied to two schools on the list, Boston U (accepted, awaiting scholarship info) and Emory (awaiting admission info). If by some grace of god I am offered anything by either school and the CoA is lower, I will attempt negotiation. I consider my offer from UMN very generous in the first place, and absolutely love this school anyway, so I will attend either way.

Also, for out of state students (like myself technically because my parents live in Michigan), it's important to note that unlike other law schools, UMN has an incredibly difficult in-state status review. The politicians in this state are pretty unanimously in favor of trying to keep Minnesotans in and others out, unfortunately. So if part of your plan to lower CoA involved getting residency, be sure to look into that first because you might not be able to get it until year 2 or 3. I know I'll be paying out of state tuition my first year, and hoping to gain it for years 2 + 3 to save that extra 17k.
Cool, well I hope it goes well. And thanks for the residency info! Have you talked to anyone at the school about your first year tuition or are you just assuming that will be the case since you currently live out of state? I definitely want to talk to someone about my situation but am kind of dragging my feet, waiting to hear back from the rest of the places I applied first.

Are you planning on going to ASW?
Last edited by SlithyTove on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJRpnw

Bronze

Post by CJRpnw » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:02 pm

MacDhubstep wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
MacDhubstep wrote:160, 3.77. Applied December 11th, Accepted December 18th (I think?) Offered 20k a year. I plan on accepting (after attempting a further negotiation). :D

I am currently an undergrad at the University of Minnesota as well, so if anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer them. I'm also looking for a roommate for next year if anyone else has submitted seat deposits and are interested in those details. And hopefully I'll see some of you at the campus preview weekend on April 1st and 2nd. :D
Are you planning on negotiating through the negotiation form? Meaning, do you have an offer from one of the listed schools that you're using as leverage? Or are you negotiating cold? I'd love to know about your approach and how it goes for you. Good luck!
I plan on using the form. I applied to two schools on the list, Boston U (accepted, awaiting scholarship info) and Emory (awaiting admission info). If by some grace of god I am offered anything by either school and the CoA is lower, I will attempt negotiation. I consider my offer from UMN very generous in the first place, and absolutely love this school anyway, so I will attend either way.

Also, for out of state students (like myself technically because my parents live in Michigan), it's important to note that unlike other law schools, UMN has an incredibly difficult in-state status review. The politicians in this state are pretty unanimously in favor of trying to keep Minnesotans in and others out, unfortunately. So if part of your plan to lower CoA involved getting residency, be sure to look into that first because you might not be able to get it until year 2 or 3. I know I'll be paying out of state tuition my first year, and hoping to gain it for years 2 + 3 to save that extra 17k.
That's surprising to hear, since they also have that reciprocity agreement with South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Manitoba. https://www.law.umn.edu/admissions/jd-a ... ancial-aid

MacDhubstep

New

Post by MacDhubstep » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:29 pm

Addressing both of the above comments: Yes, MN has reciprocity with several states, but the number of students from those places is incredibly minimal.

I'm an Undergrad at Minnesota, but I'm technically out of state from Michigan. I have lived in MN consecutively for more than a year, have a permanent residence here, file taxes here, am registered to vote, and intend to live here after graduation. I recently tried to get an MN driver's license but just barely failed the written test (you need an 80% here, and they ask you specific MN driving laws, I'll be fine after a quick study and retake) and UMN likes to see that your license predates the start of classes by 12 months. I think moving with an SO that has a job will significantly improve your ability to argue for in-state status. I have the forms sitting in my desk right now, they require you to write a little essay on "why" MN and you have to provide a significantly large amount of evidence, including the DL, voter registration, the essay, and more. It's certainly a process, and it'll be more likely for me if I apply for years 2-3 because I'll have that DL and such.

And yes, I intend to go to the ASW, on April 1 and 2. I've already taken a tour and I did volunteer work with them this January during a "raise the bar" volunteer session. (I was in a group that went to a food bank). I really enjoyed my time talking to the (mostly 1 and 3Ls) students, and afterwards got to go to a fancy restaurant where I walked away with over $100 in free Pizza Luce (of the 135 volunteers only 40 showed up to the endless buffet, so we all got boxes to take home food). I probably sound like a walking UMN Law ad but whatever, I am hyped.

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:31 pm

In! Just got the phone call a couple of minutes ago! Very excited. No mention of scholly, would they mention it in the voicemail?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wellitsover

Bronze

Post by wellitsover » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:43 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:In! Just got the phone call a couple of minutes ago! Very excited. No mention of scholly, would they mention it in the voicemail?
Mine was in the letter they sent me. Congrats!

The_Lorax

Bronze

Post by The_Lorax » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:46 pm

Just got the phone call and accepted! (612 number)

The_Lorax

Bronze

Post by The_Lorax » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:47 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:In! Just got the phone call a couple of minutes ago! Very excited. No mention of scholly, would they mention it in the voicemail?
They mail you the scholarship info in about a week.

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:48 pm

wellitsover wrote:
Cool beans, thanks! Where does UMinn rank for you?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wellitsover

Bronze

Post by wellitsover » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:09 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:
wellitsover wrote:
Right now it's my top choice, but I also have 10+ schools I am waiting to hear back from. But given the pretty generous scholarship, it's probably going to be a top contender regardless. I've actually never been to Minneapolis, but strangely am really drawn to the city. What about you?

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:42 pm

wellitsover wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:
wellitsover wrote:
Right now it's my top choice, but I also have 10+ schools I am waiting to hear back from. But given the pretty generous scholarship, it's probably going to be a top contender regardless. I've actually never been to Minneapolis, but strangely am really drawn to the city. What about you?
I'm not sure yet. Minnesota is way better ranked than Loyola Chicago, my only other offer at this point. Still waiting to hear back from other schools though in addition to my Minnesota packet for scholly. Never been to Minneapolis either.

Clytemnestra

New

Post by Clytemnestra » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:43 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by Clytemnestra on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:45 pm

Clytemnestra wrote:Is anyone else thinking of possibly going to U of MN over T-10/14? The scholarship plus the fact that I really want to live/work in MN is tempting...
I wouldn't. I'm from Minnesota, and would love to go back, but even a full ride there really isn't worth it IMO. I don't know what schools you've been accepted to besides, but I'll almost certainly be passing up my MN offer. All of my friends there are getting low-paying jobs (if any) and you can't really work far beyond Minnesota, if you wanted to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CJRpnw

Bronze

Post by CJRpnw » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:14 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
Clytemnestra wrote:Is anyone else thinking of possibly going to U of MN over T-10/14? The scholarship plus the fact that I really want to live/work in MN is tempting...
I wouldn't. I'm from Minnesota, and would love to go back, but even a full ride there really isn't worth it IMO. I don't know what schools you've been accepted to besides, but I'll almost certainly be passing up my MN offer. All of my friends there are getting low-paying jobs (if any) and you can't really work far beyond Minnesota, if you wanted to.
Well, for some of us, the low-paying job is built into the degree. I'm going into public interest/advocacy, which Minnesota seems to have a decent focus on, so a full ride offer makes it very tempting. Paying sticker price at, say, Michigan seems like a worse idea from that perspective.

Clytemnestra

New

Post by Clytemnestra » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:11 pm

Ditto. ^^

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:25 pm

Got my packet in the mail today, 30k/yr! Pretty excited about it!

Clytemnestra

New

Post by Clytemnestra » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:38 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:Got my packet in the mail today, 30k/yr! Pretty excited about it!
Congrats Ninja!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hazelwood

New

Post by hazelwood » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:16 am

Wondering if anyone has had any luck negotiating a scholarship with Minnesota? I know they have their Scholarship Reconsideration Program, but I didn't receive a scholarship form any of the allowed schools (attached). By the way I am out of state, LSAT: 164 GPA: 3.65, offered $25,000 a year. Thanks!

Boston University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Emory University
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Harvard University
New York University
Northwestern University
Stanford University
UC – Berkeley
UC – Los Angeles
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
University of Southern
California
University of Texas
University of Virginia
Vanderbilt University
Washington University
Yale University

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:07 pm

hazelwood wrote:Wondering if anyone has had any luck negotiating a scholarship with Minnesota? I know they have their Scholarship Reconsideration Program, but I didn't receive a scholarship form any of the allowed schools (attached). By the way I am out of state, LSAT: 164 GPA: 3.65, offered $25,000 a year. Thanks!

Boston University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Emory University
Georgetown University
Harvard University
New York University
Northwestern University
Stanford University
UC – Berkeley
UC – Los Angeles
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
University of Southern
California
University of Texas
University of Virginia
Vanderbilt University
Washington University
Yale University
Interested to hear if you've made any progress here. Did you attempt to negotiate? If so, how did it go?

hazelwood

New

Post by hazelwood » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:03 pm

SlithyTove wrote:
hazelwood wrote:Wondering if anyone has had any luck negotiating a scholarship with Minnesota? I know they have their Scholarship Reconsideration Program, but I didn't receive a scholarship form any of the allowed schools (attached). By the way I am out of state, LSAT: 164 GPA: 3.65, offered $25,000 a year. Thanks!

Boston University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Emory University
Georgetown University
Harvard University
New York University
Northwestern University
Stanford University
UC – Berkeley
UC – Los Angeles
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
University of Southern
California
University of Texas
University of Virginia
Vanderbilt University
Washington University
Yale University
Interested to hear if you've made any progress here. Did you attempt to negotiate? If so, how did it go?
Haven't tried to negotiate yet. I'll probably attempt but I don't predict much success being below their medians and with no leverage from better or peer schools. But their initial offer was very generous so I am not complaining. I am going to the Campus Preview Weekend on April 1-2 to check the school out.

Best of luck with your negotiations!

TylerKubik

New

Post by TylerKubik » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:29 pm

Minnesota just sent information about additional scholarship opportunities, specifically the Dean's Elite Scholarship. Does anyone know how much these Dean's Elite scholarships range in dollar amounts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

janderson821

Bronze

Post by janderson821 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:34 pm

SlithyTove wrote:

Boston University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Emory University
Georgetown University
Harvard University
New York University
Northwestern University
Stanford University
UC – Berkeley
UC – Los Angeles
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
University of Southern
California
University of Texas
University of Virginia
Vanderbilt University
Washington University
Yale University
I sent in my scholarship reconsideration on February 11th because I have higher scholarships from two schools on the list that are ranked higher than Minnesota. They said "we will review all SRP applications in the coming months and get back to you". I still haven't heard back and likely will be withdrawing soon.

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:40 pm

TylerKubik wrote:Minnesota just sent information about additional scholarship opportunities, specifically the Dean's Elite Scholarship. Does anyone know how much these Dean's Elite scholarships range in dollar amounts?
All it says on the information sheet is that award amounts vary based on the funds that are available. It would be nice to have an idea if it will be closer to $1,000 or $75,000 though.

Count1234

New

Post by Count1234 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:47 pm

TylerKubik wrote:Minnesota just sent information about additional scholarship opportunities, specifically the Dean's Elite Scholarship. Does anyone know how much these Dean's Elite scholarships range in dollar amounts?
I got one last year, the award was for 2500/year so 7500 total. Another person that got it also got the same amount.

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:50 pm

Count1234 wrote:
I got one last year, the award was for 2500/year so 7500 total. Another person that got it also got the same amount.
Do you know of anyone who received more than one? They say you can apply for multiple areas but it would be interesting to know if anyone is ever selected to receive multiple awards.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”