University of Denver Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hoping2015

New

University of Denver

Post by hoping2015 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:00 pm

So I'm a little stuck on what to do. I wanted to go to law school in California to be near my parents but can't because courts won't let me relocate my son. So to keep my family together I have to stay in Denver so another school really isn't an option. I had taken the LSAT in Sept. 2014 but didn't do really well. I had gotten into DU with 20,000/yr scholarship. I already had to wait a year to get all the custody stuff figured out and I wanted to retake in December but court happened to be the same day that was the last day to sign up and well I just didn't have a head for it. Now I have to get into DU, and while I think I will because of last year, I'm wondering if a higher LSAT score in February would be helpful to get more scholarship. I know I can do better than I did and I've been studying all year, and I can't put it off another year. Should I just apply with my current stats and say I plan on retaking in February and then if I have a higher score try to negotiate? I was also thinking of writing an addendum explaining why I didn't accept last year and that I would really like to go to their school. Thoughts?

Thank you for any help! :)

Scalvert

Silver

Re: University of Denver

Post by Scalvert » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:09 am

hoping2015 wrote:So I'm a little stuck on what to do. I wanted to go to law school in California to be near my parents but can't because courts won't let me relocate my son. So to keep my family together I have to stay in Denver so another school really isn't an option. I had taken the LSAT in Sept. 2014 but didn't do really well. I had gotten into DU with 20,000/yr scholarship. I already had to wait a year to get all the custody stuff figured out and I wanted to retake in December but court happened to be the same day that was the last day to sign up and well I just didn't have a head for it. Now I have to get into DU, and while I think I will because of last year, I'm wondering if a higher LSAT score in February would be helpful to get more scholarship. I know I can do better than I did and I've been studying all year, and I can't put it off another year. Should I just apply with my current stats and say I plan on retaking in February and then if I have a higher score try to negotiate? I was also thinking of writing an addendum explaining why I didn't accept last year and that I would really like to go to their school. Thoughts?

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/denver/2014/

Their tuition is more than twice your scholarship and their LST score isn't great, but I imagine if you plan on staying in Denver, then you might be alright. I would definitely retake for more money. Unless you go for free, I think this could end up being a very expensive mistake. I would imagine there is a lot of job competition from CU grads in Denver, though. Definitely do your homework on job placement before deciding.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:25 am

Don't go to Denver unless it's for free or near free. Potentially life-ruining mistake to take out a significant amount of loans for that school.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:27 am

acr wrote:Don't go to Denver unless it's for free or near free. Potentially life-ruining mistake to take out a significant amount of loans for that school.

Willpower

New

Post by Willpower » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:31 am

Got accepted with 15k/yr on the 25th. 155/4.0+

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zniha

New

Post by zniha » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:32 pm

Scalvert wrote:
hoping2015 wrote:So I'm a little stuck on what to do. I wanted to go to law school in California to be near my parents but can't because courts won't let me relocate my son. So to keep my family together I have to stay in Denver so another school really isn't an option. I had taken the LSAT in Sept. 2014 but didn't do really well. I had gotten into DU with 20,000/yr scholarship. I already had to wait a year to get all the custody stuff figured out and I wanted to retake in December but court happened to be the same day that was the last day to sign up and well I just didn't have a head for it. Now I have to get into DU, and while I think I will because of last year, I'm wondering if a higher LSAT score in February would be helpful to get more scholarship. I know I can do better than I did and I've been studying all year, and I can't put it off another year. Should I just apply with my current stats and say I plan on retaking in February and then if I have a higher score try to negotiate? I was also thinking of writing an addendum explaining why I didn't accept last year and that I would really like to go to their school. Thoughts?

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/denver/2014/

Their tuition is more than twice your scholarship and their LST score isn't great, but I imagine if you plan on staying in Denver, then you might be alright. I would definitely retake for more money. Unless you go for free, I think this could end up being a very expensive mistake. I would imagine there is a lot of job competition from CU grads in Denver, though. Definitely do your homework on job placement before deciding.
The responses you have received on here are more of just guesses. I am a 3L there and can hopefully give some better guidance. Denver is a good school but it is expensive. In terms of the Denver area they place fairly well. The recession in Denver was bad, but not as bad as much of the rest of the country. Jobs can be found in the Denver area. you should definitely make sure you get a scholarship. The scholarship maxes out at around 36k or so unless you are a chancellors scholar, which is a special application and they only give out a couple. Ultimately, if you have to stay in Denver the school is a good bet and you are likely to get a job when its all said and done.

GrandJC

New

Post by GrandJC » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:39 pm

In via email. No $ which is odd since I have received three full ride offers so far... Does anyone know if U of Denver typically strict with financial aid?

Echoduck

New

Post by Echoduck » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:00 pm

GrandJC wrote:In via email. No $ which is odd since I have received three full ride offers so far... Does anyone know if U of Denver typically strict with financial aid?
I was accepted in October with 22k/year. Not sure if they have a history of being strict though.

HMinAZ

New

Post by HMinAZ » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:39 pm

Accepted yesterday with $15k/year scholarship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

apc2016

New

Post by apc2016 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:04 am

Accepted two weeks ago (1 week turnaround time for a decision) with $30k year scholarship.

hopefulJDfor2016

New

Post by hopefulJDfor2016 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:18 pm

apc2016 wrote:Accepted two weeks ago (1 week turnaround time for a decision) with $30k year scholarship.
Do you mind sharing your LSAT/GPA information or at least your range? Recently submitted my application and I'm curious how fast the turnaround might be for me!

apc2016

New

Post by apc2016 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:39 pm

hopefulJDfor2016 wrote:
apc2016 wrote:Accepted two weeks ago (1 week turnaround time for a decision) with $30k year scholarship.
Do you mind sharing your LSAT/GPA information or at least your range? Recently submitted my application and I'm curious how fast the turnaround might be for me!
4.0 GPA, LSAT well above 75% range.

Teetime23

New

Post by Teetime23 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:20 am

Hi everyone! Got into DU Law last month on a full-tuition scholarship! Still waiting on other decisions to come in, but I'm excited in the possibility of me going there. Anyone put in their deposit? Is living downtown a good idea? Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

spenc360

New

Post by spenc360 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:45 am

Teetime23 wrote:Hi everyone! Got into DU Law last month on a full-tuition scholarship! Still waiting on other decisions to come in, but I'm excited in the possibility of me going there. Anyone put in their deposit? Is living downtown a good idea? Thanks!
Do you mind sharing your LSAT and G.P.A.? I assume you didn't negotiate to that amount, it was just offered, correct?

Teetime23

New

Post by Teetime23 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:54 am

3.93 GPA/154 LSAT...strong softs. Yes, the amount was just offered so no negotiation.

spenc360

New

Post by spenc360 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:14 pm

Teetime23 wrote:3.93 GPA/154 LSAT...strong softs. Yes, the amount was just offered so no negotiation.
Thanks! Was just trying to get a feel because I am trying to negotiate to full scholarship.

Teetime23

New

Post by Teetime23 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:46 pm

spenc360 wrote:
Teetime23 wrote:3.93 GPA/154 LSAT...strong softs. Yes, the amount was just offered so no negotiation.
Thanks! Was just trying to get a feel because I am trying to negotiate to full scholarship.
No problem! Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:26 pm

I applied last week and was admitted today. Do scholarship offers come after the initial acceptance email? Or does this mean that I was not awarded any money?

virtus26

New

Post by virtus26 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:53 am

kwabedi wrote:I applied last week and was admitted today. Do scholarship offers come after the initial acceptance email? Or does this mean that I was not awarded any money?
Its sent out with the email, but they're out of scholarship money from what they announced during their admitted student day. I'd call and ask regardless.

bananagram5

New

Post by bananagram5 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:15 pm

Got my financial aid email with no scholarship $ - they said funds have been exhausted, but more might be available in May depending on accepted offers. No chance I'm paying sticker for Denver but we'll see.

Draconem

Bronze

Post by Draconem » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:19 pm

Will be releasing my 90k scholarship soon. Hold out!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

keezmasterflex

New

Post by keezmasterflex » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:23 pm

Draconem wrote:Will be releasing my 90k scholarship soon. Hold out!
I will be withdrawing $15,000 scholarship soon.

bananagram5

New

Post by bananagram5 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:39 pm

keezmasterflex wrote:
Draconem wrote:Will be releasing my 90k scholarship soon. Hold out!
I will be withdrawing $15,000 scholarship soon.
Thanks good to know! Drawback is they don't let you know until after the first deposit deadline...

virtus26

New

Post by virtus26 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:29 pm

To echo what others said, I'll likely be declining mine as well -- think there will be a good pool of money to draw from here in a bit.

adj8103

Bronze

Post by adj8103 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:45 pm

bananagram5 wrote:Got my financial aid email with no scholarship $ - they said funds have been exhausted, but more might be available in May depending on accepted offers. No chance I'm paying sticker for Denver but we'll see.
Same. Would be first choice with scholly offer! But... I applied sooo late in the cycle. guh.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”