Georgia State c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Maplesyrup

Re: Georgia State c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby Maplesyrup » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:54 am

Randy 'BoBandy wrote:
Maplesyrup wrote:
pleadthafif wrote:
Randy 'BoBandy wrote:Signed my lease last week. I'll see you all in August! Anyone else committed fully to GSU?

I'm considering GSU because I find Atlanta appealing and don't want biglaw. Are you living on-campus?

im 90% committed, what part of town did you pick?

I considered living on-campus, but I found a nice, cheaper place 5 minutes from the Indian Creek MARTA station in Stone Mountain. 30 minute-ish commute if I take the marta.

right on man, i feel like 20 minutes either east or south of the school is the way to go, cheap but still convenient

JessicaPearson

Postby JessicaPearson » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:00 pm

Thank you!
I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple of other schools, but I want to start looking into housing anyway b/c the chances of me committing to GSU are pretty high. Does anybody have any recommendations on where I should start looking?

Randy 'BoBandy

Postby Randy 'BoBandy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:51 pm

JessicaPearson wrote:Thank you!
I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple of other schools, but I want to start looking into housing anyway b/c the chances of me committing to GSU are pretty high. Does anybody have any recommendations on where I should start looking?

I found my place on places4students.com. GSU is partnered with them. Here's the link:
https://www.places4students.com/Places/ ... FVngglU%3d

Randy 'BoBandy

Postby Randy 'BoBandy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:54 pm

Maplesyrup wrote:
Randy 'BoBandy wrote:
Maplesyrup wrote:
pleadthafif wrote:
Randy 'BoBandy wrote:Signed my lease last week. I'll see you all in August! Anyone else committed fully to GSU?

I'm considering GSU because I find Atlanta appealing and don't want biglaw. Are you living on-campus?

I considered living on-campus, but I found a nice, cheaper place 5 minutes from the Indian Creek MARTA station in Stone Mountain. 30 minute-ish commute if I take the marta.

right on man, i feel like 20 minutes either east or south of the school is the way to go, cheap but still convenient

cheap and convenient are huge for me! 90% committed is pretty close though; I figure you're still waiting to hear back from some other schools?

JessicaPearson

Postby JessicaPearson » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:02 pm

Randy 'BoBandy wrote:
JessicaPearson wrote:Thank you!

I found my place on places4students.com. GSU is partnered with them. Here's the link:
https://www.places4students.com/Places/ ... FVngglU%3d

Thank you!

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:04 pm

Emory has a good off-campus housing website (https://offcampushousing.emory.edu/). I'd caution against living too much further than I-285 if you're not a MARTA line as traffic in Atlanta is no joke.

Maplesyrup

Postby Maplesyrup » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:06 pm

Randy 'BoBandy wrote:
Maplesyrup wrote:
Randy 'BoBandy wrote:
Maplesyrup wrote:
pleadthafif wrote:

cheap and convenient are huge for me! 90% committed is pretty close though; I figure you're still waiting to hear back from some other schools?

sort of but I'm really just bullshitting to be honest, i already sent a seat deposit in and everything

JessicaPearson

Postby JessicaPearson » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:51 am

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:Emory has a good off-campus housing website (https://offcampushousing.emory.edu/). I'd caution against living too much further than I-285 if you're not a MARTA line as traffic in Atlanta is no joke.

Thank you!

GApeach1

Postby GApeach1 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:59 am

pleadthafif wrote:
GApeach1 wrote:
Maplesyrup wrote:
GApeach1 wrote:
Maplesyrup wrote:anyone going to the admitted students reception tomorrow? also there is going to be another round of scholarships this week.

I'll be there as well.
When you say another round, does that mean some applicants could get an additional one on top of one they already accepted you think?
I accepted my initial offer but I'm planning on negotiating.

they do negotiate, I'm not sure if the deadline having past and your already accepting the first offer will hurt your chances of getting more or not.

Got it... I'll see what I can do

Update?

I was told about a week ago that they have sent my info to the committee for reconsideration for increase in scholarship. I will update once I get news

sucreroux

Postby sucreroux » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:42 pm

I spoke with a student about two weeks ago and she recommended living in Buckhead, she said for the most part it is where most 1Ls live and the commute is about 30-45 in traffic. Great part of town, so thats where I am currently looking.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:53 pm

sucreroux wrote:I spoke with a student about two weeks ago and she recommended living in Buckhead, she said for the most part it is where most 1Ls live and the commute is about 30-45 in traffic. Great part of town, so thats where I am currently looking.

Oy. Unless you're talking extreme Southern Buckhead, that's arguably terrible advice. You'll be paying through the nose to be in traffic constantly. Campus is in Downtown. Focus on Midtown/West Midtown, Virginia Highland, Old Fourth Ward, Inman Park, Candler Park, Reynoldstown, Cabbagetown, or northern parts of Grant Park, EAV or Ormewood.

sucreroux

Postby sucreroux » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:15 am

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:
sucreroux wrote:I spoke with a student about two weeks ago and she recommended living in Buckhead, she said for the most part it is where most 1Ls live and the commute is about 30-45 in traffic. Great part of town, so thats where I am currently looking.

Oy. Unless you're talking extreme Southern Buckhead, that's arguably terrible advice. You'll be paying through the nose to be in traffic constantly. Campus is in Downtown. Focus on Midtown/West Midtown, Virginia Highland, Old Fourth Ward, Inman Park, Candler Park, Reynoldstown, Cabbagetown, or northern parts of Grant Park, EAV or Ormewood.

Thank you so much for this!! going in pretty blind on atlanta so this was incredibly helpful. Anyone know when they make a Facebook page?

Maplesyrup

Postby Maplesyrup » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:27 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:

this is good advice, i used to rent a $1150 700 sqft apartment close to Lindbergh (south buckhead), it was nice to be close to a train station but besides that i found it to be very over valued. currently renting a nicely renovated house thats twice as big and still very close to a train station for $200 less per month, its the same distance from the school but south instead of north. the only downside is there are no nice restaurants, which i really miss but i just cook and save money so its fine.

Maplesyrup

Postby Maplesyrup » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:30 pm

everyone should check out the latest violent crime that has occured on the gsu campus, just type gsu shooting into google, there is some video for this one.

this is from an email sent from the university president, mark becker:

To the Georgia State community,

I know you share my outrage over the on-campus shooting that took place last night in front of the Piedmont North housing complex. While the suspects were taken into custody and charged shortly after the incident, these types of crimes are completely unacceptable and rightfully alarm our community.

I was particularly disheartened to learn that one of our own Georgia State students allegedly created the situation by selling drugs to visitors to campus.

I am proud of the hard work, dedication and commitment of our University Police Department, yet it is a time to make a change in leadership. Connie Sampson, who heads University Police as associate vice president for university police and building services, will now focus entirely on building services. We are beginning the search for an experienced law enforcement professional whose sole focus will be campus safety. In the interim, Deputy Chief Carlton Mullis will serve as acting chief of police.

We are also immediately changing our processes for timely notifications and emergency alerts. Many students and parents expressed concern they first heard about the incident on the news rather than from their own university. I am disappointed we did not promptly and effectively communicate what was happening last night as information became available. We will provide timely and frequent messages through a variety of channels to keep you informed.

I welcome your feedback and suggestions as we move forward: http://www.gsu.edu/safety-feedback/

Mark Becker
President
Georgia State University

sucreroux

Postby sucreroux » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:27 pm

Is there a certain area that most students live? Atlanta is so big I don't even know where to focus on when searching but I want to be near my peers. Still anxiously awaiting that Facebook page haha

Randy 'BoBandy

Postby Randy 'BoBandy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:42 pm

Has anyone received their financial aid award information or have any idea when they send them out?

Maplesyrup

Postby Maplesyrup » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:33 pm

sucreroux wrote:Is there a certain area that most students live? Atlanta is so big I don't even know where to focus on when searching but I want to be near my peers. Still anxiously awaiting that Facebook page haha

I would think everyone is pretty spread out, like the person from the school said most probably live in or close to buckhead but that doesn't really mean anything because its big enough to where you would never just run into people without arranging to do so. GSU is made up mostly of commuters with only a small percentage of undergraduates living in campus housing and i would think practically no graduate students doing so.

Maplesyrup

Postby Maplesyrup » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:35 pm

Randy 'BoBandy wrote:Has anyone received their financial aid award information or have any idea when they send them out?

merit scholarship award? I got mine about a month ago.

Randy 'BoBandy

Postby Randy 'BoBandy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:36 pm

Maplesyrup wrote:
Randy 'BoBandy wrote:Has anyone received their financial aid award information or have any idea when they send them out?

Like FAFSA, loan information, etc.

Maplesyrup

Postby Maplesyrup » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:46 pm

Randy 'BoBandy wrote:
Maplesyrup wrote:

Like FAFSA, loan information, etc.

I'm not sure if they send us anything, when i did my FASFA it said what i qualified for, $20,500 unsubsidized Stafford loan (5.84%) inmy case, i think if you make over a certain amount (or want more than the stafford amount) then you have to go the grad plus route (6.84%).
and then i guess you would just see financial aid at some point before classes start (or fax them a copy of the loan request form) and declare the amount you want to borrow.

but brother more importantly season 10 of trailer park boys just came out on netflix so........

Randy 'BoBandy

Postby Randy 'BoBandy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:46 pm

Maplesyrup wrote:
Randy 'BoBandy wrote:
Maplesyrup wrote:

but brother more importantly season 10 of trailer park boys just came out on netflix so........

I just watched the first two episodes haha It was sad to see that Mr. Lahey and Randy had taken a break though.

GMasters5

Postby GMasters5 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:25 am

In today! Waiting on scholarship info

JessicaPearson

Postby JessicaPearson » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:22 pm

GMasters5 wrote:In today! Waiting on scholarship info

Congrats! I got my scholarship info with my letter in the mail, which came about a week after my acceptance email so it may come then.

GMasters5

Postby GMasters5 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:41 pm

JessicaPearson wrote:
GMasters5 wrote:In today! Waiting on scholarship info

Congrats! I got my scholarship info with my letter in the mail, which came about a week after my acceptance email so it may come then.

Thanks! Is GSU high on your list?

pleadthafif

Postby pleadthafif » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:07 am

Who all is going to the Admitted Students Reception on April 14th?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”