c/o 2019 LGBTQ Applicants (2015-2016) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
monceau

Bronze

Re: c/o 2019 LGBTQ Applicants (2015-2016)

Post by monceau » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:56 pm

Navyhornguy wrote:
Olliedemars wrote:
monceau wrote:Hi LGBT+ friends, I'm in kind of an odd predicament. In my apps, I checked the box saying I'm LGBT and wrote about it somewhat in my PS. For those of you who made your LGBT identity apparent in your applications, has it ever been brought up on a school tour? I'm visiting four schools with both parents, one of whom I'm out to and the other I'm not. Thanks!
This happened to me at Wellesley (undergrad, obviously); I asked about LGBT student orgs during an interview, then the interviewer walked me out to the lobby where my mom was waiting. My interviewer brought up the topic again, and I cut her off, er--twice? Very awkward. Very dinged.

Now that I'm a nearly-married old lady and my mom likes my fiancee more than she likes me, I can laugh about it. Anyway, no, won't happen at law schools. I've been on two visits, and no one rushed up to me to slap a rainbow sticker on me.
Aww shoot, I was hoping to get slapped with a rainbow sticker at UVA's open house tomorrow. :(
haha i totally would want one too if i didn't have my parents in tow

Draconem

Bronze

Post by Draconem » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:30 pm

Anyone else really glad they aren't going to any North Carolina schools right now? Really disappointed in the legislation that just passed.

counttoten

New

Post by counttoten » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:35 pm

Draconem wrote:Anyone else really glad they aren't going to any North Carolina schools right now? Really disappointed in the legislation that just passed.
Yes. Honestly frightening.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:36 pm

Draconem wrote:Anyone else really glad they aren't going to any North Carolina schools right now? Really disappointed in the legislation that just passed.
Duke rejecting me doesn't seem so bad now. It's very discouraging.

Draconem

Bronze

Post by Draconem » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:39 pm

Navyhornguy wrote:
I didn't even apply to Duke because of the area's anti-LGBT reputation, but I am really glad that I didn't throw an app in for the hell of it right about now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:44 pm

Yeah, it's absolutely terrifying. There is zero point to it other than bigotry. So much for all that small government talk.

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:54 pm

Navyhornguy wrote:
Yyyyup. I mean, they waitlisted me rather than an outright rejected, but I'm gonna be withdrawing my app. Also, basketball is a terrible sport.

Olliedemars

New

Post by Olliedemars » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:59 pm

Last edited by Olliedemars on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Draconem

Bronze

Post by Draconem » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:00 pm

Olliedemars wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
Yeah, it's absolutely terrifying. There is zero point to it other than bigotry. So much for all that small government talk.
Y'all read about how many major businesses based in/with a significant presence in NC are publicly denouncing the new policies, though? Disney, American Airlines, etc. Very heartening.
Indeed. I'm hoping this ends shortly, but still. The fact that it even happened is so frustrating.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bruceaquizzer1

Bronze

Post by bruceaquizzer1 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:36 am

GrayGamut wrote:
I wouldn't say its bigotry. The problem is that that type of law could easily be abused by people who wouldn't be using it for the right reason. For instance it gives male sex offenders a chance to go into womens bathroom and do whatever. Its a slippery slope

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:12 am

bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
I wouldn't say its bigotry. The problem is that that type of law could easily be abused by people who wouldn't be using it for the right reason. For instance it gives male sex offenders a chance to go into womens bathroom and do whatever. Its a slippery slope
That slippery slope argument has been disproved over and over by states that have legislation specifically allowing trans folk to use restroom of their choosing. There have been no increases in sexual assault because of it, nor any sort of mass societal confusion. This is about trans folk being able to pee in public facilities without outing themselves. A binary, passing trans man
will not look like he belongs in a women's restroom, and going in could result in physical harm to him if the wrong person takes offense. Trust trans folk to know where to pee. That's it.

bruceaquizzer1

Bronze

Post by bruceaquizzer1 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:19 am

GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
That slippery slope argument has been disproved over and over by states that have legislation specifically allowing trans folk to use restroom of their choosing. There have been no increases in sexual assault because of it, nor any sort of mass societal confusion. This is about trans folk being able to pee in public facilities without outing themselves. A binary, passing trans man
will not look like he belongs in a women's restroom, and going in could result in physical harm to him if the wrong person takes offense. Trust trans folk to know where to pee. That's it.
I agree that trans people will use it to pee where they should. However, whats to stop a non-trans man from going into the womens bathroom just to look? Heck, if I was a guy that's what id do
And on the other hand, in bathrooms your bound to see genitals, be it accidentally or whatever, and im not sure anyone would want their young son/daughter seeing things they shouldn't

alohalaw

New

Post by alohalaw » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:26 am

GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
Isn't it still a slippery slope? If even one person gets assaulted due to "bathroom sharing" it should count for something. Sexual assault is something an individual has to cope with for a lifetime, so there are legitimate interests in having separate bathrooms. As a LGBT member I can see where sometimes our community can be over-aggressive.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bruceaquizzer1

Bronze

Post by bruceaquizzer1 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:32 am

alohalaw wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
Isn't it still a slippery slope? If even one person gets assaulted due to "bathroom sharing" it should count for something. Sexual assault is something an individual has to cope with for a lifetime, so there are legitimate interests in having separate bathrooms. As a LGBT member I can see where sometimes our community can be over-aggressive.
I appreciate your input. Sometimes people are quick to say "Oh you're against this, you must hate___"

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:34 am

bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
I agree that trans people will use it to pee where they should. However, whats to stop a non-trans man from going into the womens bathroom just to look? Heck, if I was a guy that's what id do
And on the other hand, in bathrooms your bound to see genitals, be it accidentally or whatever, and im not sure anyone would want their young son/daughter seeing things they shouldn't
Really? Because I'm pretty sure that just means you'd be an awful, creepy man, but it still has zero to do with trans folk.

I have a feeling you assume that you can ID every trans person you come across and that you know what their genitals look like, which are assumptions on which this legislation is based. Those assumptions are laughably wrong, but the very real physical danger that it puts trans folk into is no laughing matter.

Draconem

Bronze

Post by Draconem » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:35 am

GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
Really? Because I'm pretty sure that just means you'd be an awful, creepy man, but it still has zero to do with trans folk.

I have a feeling you assume that you can ID every trans person you come across and that you know what their genitals look like, which are assumptions on which this legislation is based. Those assumptions are laughably wrong, but the very real physical danger that it puts trans folk into is no laughing matter.
Exactly.

bruceaquizzer1

Bronze

Post by bruceaquizzer1 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:40 am

GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:

Again, im really not arguing about trans people being able to use the correct bathroom. I think that's a given that they should be allowed that. However, its not so clear cut because of people who will then have the ability to abuse the system per se.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:47 am

alohalaw wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
I have trans guy friends who have been socially IDed (i.e. "passed") as men for years. You think it's good policy to force them to use the women's restroom because they haven't been able to completely jump through all of the ridiculous administrative hoops necessary to change their birth certificate? This forces men to choose between legal penalties and a potential ass-whooping every time they go out and need pee.

Please can we stop conflating this with sexual assault. It's apples and oranges. Sexual assault is already illegal. Trans folk using the restroom shouldn't be.

MarshallMarshal

New

Post by MarshallMarshal » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:55 am

GrayGamut wrote:
alohalaw wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
I have trans guy friends who have been socially IDed (i.e. "passed") as men for years. You think it's good policy to force them to use the women's restroom because they haven't been able to completely jump through all of the ridiculous administrative hoops necessary to change their birth certificate? This forces men to choose between legal penalties and a potential ass-whooping every time they go out and need pee.

Please can we stop conflating this with sexual assault. It's apples and oranges. Sexual assault is already illegal. Trans folk using the restroom shouldn't be.
Nailed it. This slippery slope argument you're making is the same one that discriminiating legislatures around the country are making. But we have no basis for that other than prejudice and imaginary monsters that lobbyist and a prejudiced public has created. Over 200 cities have bills that that allow trans folks to use the bathrooms that best fit them, and there is literally no evidence that they are actually abused by cisgender criminals.

Sexual assault is obviously a real problem. But I can guarantee you that if we were 1/2 as worked up about the imaginary assaults that come about as the result of fair and inclusive bathroom policies, we could probably do some major good.
Last edited by MarshallMarshal on Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:57 am

bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:

Again, im really not arguing about trans people being able to use the correct bathroom. I think that's a given that they should be allowed that. However, its not so clear cut because of people who will then have the ability to abuse the system per se.
Well then I'm glad we can agree that the legislation is terrible, because it penalizes exactly that. We already have laws that prohibit sexual assault and harassment. If anyone wants to try and "abuse the system" by entering a bathroom for those purposes, there is clear legal recourse. No need for more legislation.

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:57 am

MarshallMarshal wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
alohalaw wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:

Nailed it. This slippery slope argument you're making is the same one that discriminiating legislatures around the country are making. But we have no basis for that other than prejudice and imaginary monsters lobbyist and a prejudiced public has created. Over 200 cities have bills that that allow trans folks to use the bathroomsthat best fits them, and there is no literally evidence that they are actually abused by cisgender criminals.

Sexual assault is obviously a real problem.But I can guarantee you that if we here 1/2 as worked up about imaginary assaults that come about as the result of fair and inclusive bathroom policies, we could probably do some major good.
Yes, thank you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scone

Bronze

Post by scone » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:03 am

GrayGamut wrote: Please can we stop conflating this with sexual assault. It's apples and oranges. Sexual assault is already illegal. Trans folk using the restroom shouldn't be.
Exactly.

Also, I don't think this is the place to argue about whether this legislation is LGBTQ-friendly or not. This is a thread for LGBTQ applicants and law students to discuss their experiences applying to law school and their impressions of different schools. If any of us feel threatened by or worried about particular legislation in a state we might choose to go to law school in, we have a right to post about that here without the thread descending into a load of people debating whether the law is objectively good or not. Those discussions belong in the lounge, not here.

alohalaw

New

Post by alohalaw » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:05 am

GrayGamut wrote: I have trans guy friends who have been socially IDed (i.e. "passed") as men for years. You think it's good policy to force them to use the women's restroom because they haven't been able to completely jump through all of the ridiculous administrative hoops necessary to change their birth certificate? This forces men to choose between legal penalties and a potential ass-whooping every time they go out and need pee.

I actually don't know the answer to the issue. I do believe that understanding helps to solve the problem though. Unfortunately it sounds like you're over-simplifying, because sexual assault is something a lot of women live in fear of everyday.

Sexual assault is already illegal, but it has not stopped being a serious ongoing issue.

Allowing transgendered individuals to use the bathroom of their choice is not going to stop "predators", however it could be helpful if we learned to be considerate of everyone. No cause is not greater than another, and we certainly won't beat any of them if we disregard the very serious issues regarding others.

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:11 am

scone wrote:
GrayGamut wrote: Please can we stop conflating this with sexual assault. It's apples and oranges. Sexual assault is already illegal. Trans folk using the restroom shouldn't be.
Exactly.

Also, I don't think this is the place to argue about whether this legislation is LGBTQ-friendly or not. This is a thread for LGBTQ applicants and law students to discuss their experiences applying to law school and their impressions of different schools. If any of us feel threatened by or worried about particular legislation in a state we might choose to go to law school in, we have a right to post about that here without the thread descending into a load of people debating whether the law is objectively good or not. Those discussions belong in the lounge, not here.
Thanks. Sorry for my role in hijacking the thread. Appreciate you keeping us on track, OP.

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:36 pm

bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:

Nothing is stopping creeps from being creeps NOW (oooo a door that doesn't lock with a picture of a person on it, wouldn't wanna fuck with that). Letting trans people pee in the correct place has zilch to do with it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”