c/o 2019 LGBTQ Applicants (2015-2016) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tekadin

New

Re: c/o 2019 LGBTQ Applicants (2015-2016)

Post by tekadin » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:33 pm

OtterLaw wrote:Nice to see a LGBT thread. Married guy here. Honestly, the only school that I've felt a negative effect from has been UT Austin. I'm on the WL with pretty good numbers and I'm beginning to wonder if my personal statement that talked about coming to terms with myself as a gay man didn't turn them off. Having lived in Texas for many years, I can say it's not the most gay-friendly state and I'm beginning to rethink that personal statement.
In off the waitlist. I have atheism and homosexual all over my application. Don't think it's a problem. Keep Austin weird.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:23 pm

tekadin wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:Nice to see a LGBT thread. Married guy here. Honestly, the only school that I've felt a negative effect from has been UT Austin. I'm on the WL with pretty good numbers and I'm beginning to wonder if my personal statement that talked about coming to terms with myself as a gay man didn't turn them off. Having lived in Texas for many years, I can say it's not the most gay-friendly state and I'm beginning to rethink that personal statement.
In off the waitlist. I have atheism and homosexual all over my application. Don't think it's a problem. Keep Austin weird.
That's actually encouraging to hear! And congrats again!

Drmrndaphd

New

Post by Drmrndaphd » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:06 am

Finding a school with a robust LGBT Community and accepting students is really important to me. (I guess that's probably common here). As I narrow down my selection, I want to talk to students and get a real answer beyond what Admissions will say about the existence of Outlaw/ Lambda Law. What questions do you all ask to students to find out about their LGBT community?

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:08 am

Drmrndaphd wrote:Finding a school with a robust LGBT Community and accepting students is really important to me. (I guess that's probably common here). As I narrow down my selection, I want to talk to students and get a real answer beyond what Admissions will say about the existence of Outlaw/ Lambda Law. What questions do you all ask to students to find out about their LGBT community?
I would think most admissions offices are willing to put you in touch with current students in Lambda/OUTlaw. That's how I've gotten a feel for each school I'm considering.

Drmrndaphd

New

Post by Drmrndaphd » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:18 am

OtterLaw wrote:
Drmrndaphd wrote:Finding a school with a robust LGBT Community and accepting students is really important to me. (I guess that's probably common here). As I narrow down my selection, I want to talk to students and get a real answer beyond what Admissions will say about the existence of Outlaw/ Lambda Law. What questions do you all ask to students to find out about their LGBT community?
I would think most admissions offices are willing to put you in touch with current students in Lambda/OUTlaw. That's how I've gotten a feel for each school I'm considering.
But then what? "Hi, I'm hella gay."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:46 am

Drmrndaphd wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:
But then what? "Hi, I'm hella gay."
Lol, yeah that's one opening line. I asked a bunch of questions about the overall environment at the institutions themselves, whether the students have ever been made to feel uncomfortable for reasons related to their gender/sexuality, what they would critique in the institution's handling of gender/sexuality issues, what student involvement in Lambda/OutLaw looks like, whether there are faculty mentors that lend support, whether the org helps to foster networking and promote relationships with legal professionals in the area, etc. Trans* issues are important to me, so I had some specific questions there. I inquired about pronoun usage, identity documentation issues, bathroom policies, insurance coverage.

It's also entirely possible that none of those things rate as high on another LGBTQ student's value list. Most of my conversations pretty quickly branched out into other areas (clinic experiences, housing options, etc.) that had nothing to do with LGBTQ issues. The gay thing was just a good intro to a much broader conversation with someone that I felt had some basic context for my life.

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:00 am

A lot of those students groups have publicly listed contacts. I've just been emailing them with "Hey I'm a prospective student, can you tell me about X, Y, and Z at [law school]?"

alohalaw

New

Post by alohalaw » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:32 am

Piggy backing off of what others have said, I simply have sent an email request to the admissions office requesting to speak with individuals from each community I would be a part of. Easily enough I have been connected with individuals from whatever organization I asked to speak to.

coffeelover

New

Post by coffeelover » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:03 pm

Any prospective UC Hastings students? I will be attending in the Fall and plan on getting involved with OUTlaw.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:06 pm

Chicago Outlaw here; feel free to pm me with any questions! I love our community.

seashell.economy

Bronze

Post by seashell.economy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:24 pm

GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
Draconem wrote:Anyone else really glad they aren't going to any North Carolina schools right now? Really disappointed in the legislation that just passed.
Yeah, it's absolutely terrifying. There is zero point to it other than bigotry. So much for all that small government talk.
I wouldn't say its bigotry. The problem is that that type of law could easily be abused by people who wouldn't be using it for the right reason. For instance it gives male sex offenders a chance to go into womens bathroom and do whatever. Its a slippery slope
That slippery slope argument has been disproved over and over by states that have legislation specifically allowing trans folk to use restroom of their choosing. There have been no increases in sexual assault because of it, nor any sort of mass societal confusion. This is about trans folk being able to pee in public facilities without outing themselves. A binary, passing trans man
will not look like he belongs in a women's restroom, and going in could result in physical harm to him if the wrong person takes offense. Trust trans folk to know where to pee. That's it.
I agree that trans people will use it to pee where they should. However, whats to stop a non-trans man from going into the womens bathroom just to look? Heck, if I was a guy that's what id do
And on the other hand, in bathrooms your bound to see genitals, be it accidentally or whatever, and im not sure anyone would want their young son/daughter seeing things they shouldn't
Really? Because I'm pretty sure that just means you'd be an awful, creepy man, but it still has zero to do with trans folk.

I have a feeling you assume that you can ID every trans person you come across and that you know what their genitals look like, which are assumptions on which this legislation is based. Those assumptions are laughably wrong, but the very real physical danger that it puts trans folk into is no laughing matter.
I've seen this argument about physical danger a thousand times now, but I've never actually heard of a story of, say, a passable transman 1) using the women's restroom when he clearly looks like a dude and 2) being beaten up for it by a bunch of women in there. What's more real is men attacking and assaulting women in vulnerable spaces (like restrooms). People are worried about men going into women's restrooms. And that has happened since certain cities have made it clear that anyone is allowed into any restroom based on their gender identity.

scone

Bronze

Post by scone » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:20 am

seashell.economy wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote: I agree that trans people will use it to pee where they should. However, whats to stop a non-trans man from going into the womens bathroom just to look? Heck, if I was a guy that's what id do
And on the other hand, in bathrooms your bound to see genitals, be it accidentally or whatever, and im not sure anyone would want their young son/daughter seeing things they shouldn't
Really? Because I'm pretty sure that just means you'd be an awful, creepy man, but it still has zero to do with trans folk.

I have a feeling you assume that you can ID every trans person you come across and that you know what their genitals look like, which are assumptions on which this legislation is based. Those assumptions are laughably wrong, but the very real physical danger that it puts trans folk into is no laughing matter.
I've seen this argument about physical danger a thousand times now, but I've never actually heard of a story of, say, a passable transman 1) using the women's restroom when he clearly looks like a dude and 2) being beaten up for it by a bunch of women in there. What's more real is men attacking and assaulting women in vulnerable spaces (like restrooms). People are worried about men going into women's restrooms. And that has happened since certain cities have made it clear that anyone is allowed into any restroom based on their gender identity.
Top two google results.

1. http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/06/2 ... oom-study/
2. http://mic.com/articles/114066/statisti ... -bathrooms

You're welcome to verify these or disprove these or carry on the argument ad nauseum. In the lounge. Not here. You know, these issues are kinda rather important for the trans folk on this thread when choosing a law school. They're not fodder for mindless and ill-informed shitposting.

Also I'm sick of people who've never participated in this thread before coming in just to tell LGBTQ people that their concerns are meaningless. This is a thread for LGBTQ people to discuss law schools, not a thread for cishets to discuss LGBTQ people (in case there was any confusion...)

Basically, get on-topic or get out.
Last edited by scone on Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

helloitsme

New

Post by helloitsme » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:56 pm

Anyone here going to Cornell?
Last edited by helloitsme on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seashell.economy

Bronze

Post by seashell.economy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:56 am

scone wrote:
seashell.economy wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
bruceaquizzer1 wrote: I agree that trans people will use it to pee where they should. However, whats to stop a non-trans man from going into the womens bathroom just to look? Heck, if I was a guy that's what id do

Top two google results.

You're welcome to verify these or disprove these or carry on the argument ad nauseum. In the lounge. Not here. You know, these issues are kinda rather important for the trans folk on this thread when choosing a law school. They're not fodder for mindless and ill-informed shitposting.

Also I'm sick of people who've never participated in this thread before coming in just to tell LGBTQ people that their concerns are meaningless. This is a thread for LGBTQ people to discuss law schools, not a thread for cishets to discuss LGBTQ people (in case there was any confusion...)

Think Progress and Mic.com. Great, unbiased sources haha. Oh, and I'm gay and I do believe I've posted in this forum before, so I guess I don't qualify to be kicked out on the status of my sexuality. Since you're Googling, please provide me with some stats on men attacking women the next time you Google for us, thx.

scone

Bronze

Post by scone » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:07 am

seashell.economy wrote:
scone wrote:
seashell.economy wrote:
Top two google results.

Think Progress and Mic.com. Great, unbiased sources haha. Oh, and I'm gay and I do believe I've posted in this forum before, so I guess I don't qualify to be kicked out on the status of my sexuality. Since you're Googling, please provide me with some stats on men attacking women the next time you Google for us, thx.
a) You haven't posted in this thread before. (So... welcome?! Sorry to react harshly, but this debate has already taken up two pages.)
b) Being gay gives you no right to police trans people's oppression or reaction to it, and gives you no right to erase their concerns in this thread.
c) If you want to continue the argument about this bill, please do it in the lounge.

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:42 am

seashell.economy wrote:
scone wrote:
seashell.economy wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:

Top two google results.

Wow, a gay man who's hilariously ignorant about trans people..I've never seen one of those before! /sarcasm
Keep posting in here if you want, but stop talking about shit that 1) has no impact on you, and 2) that you know nothing about.

alohalaw

New

Post by alohalaw » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:09 pm

tsujimoto74 wrote:
Wow, a gay man who's hilariously ignorant about trans people..I've never seen one of those before! /sarcasm
Keep posting in here if you want, but stop talking about shit that 1) has no impact on you, and 2) that you know nothing about.
That's aggressive. With an attitude like that, I wouldn't be surprised if it pervaded your law school apps. Hmm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:44 pm

alohalaw wrote:
tsujimoto74 wrote:
That's aggressive. With an attitude like that, I wouldn't be surprised if it pervaded your law school apps. Hmm.
Tempting bait. Not going for it, though.

seashell.economy

Bronze

Post by seashell.economy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:24 pm

tsujimoto74 wrote:Wow, a gay man
So, to correct the angry mob on my identity (again), I'm actually a woman.

But way to go, my LGBTQIA brethren, showing everyone how tolerant our community is of a diversity of opinions. Or not...It's actually scary to see how many times people in this community shut down conversations because they encounter views opposing their own. I honestly expect more of the same when in law school (keeping it on-topic!)

monceau

Bronze

Post by monceau » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:55 pm

seashell.economy wrote:

But way to go, my LGBTQIA brethren, showing everyone how tolerant our community is of a diversity of opinions. Or not...It's actually scary to see how many times people in this community shut down conversations because they encounter views opposing their own. I honestly expect more of the same when in law school (keeping it on-topic!)
It doesn't matter if you're LGBT or not. Your "opinion" that trans people using the restrooms of their choice somehow translates into girls/women getting assaulted is rather just a misinformed and untrue platitude that directly oppresses trans individuals.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:10 pm

Just a friendly mod reminder that scone is absolutely correct that this is not the place to discuss the merits of laws regarding trans people, or whether you're being shut down when you're being disagreed with. That kind of discussion needs to take place in the lounge and not derail discussion of this year's cycle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:26 pm

monceau wrote:
seashell.economy wrote:

It doesn't matter if you're LGBT or not. Your "opinion" that trans people using the restrooms of their choice somehow translates into girls/women getting assaulted is rather just a misinformed and untrue platitude that directly oppresses trans individuals.
This. My apologies for the misgendering, but your opinion, frankly, has no merit and directly hurts other people in the LGBTQ community. I'd expect to get booed out of this thread if I came in and opined that gay marriage hurts straight couples for the same reasons. (Note: this is not an actual opinion I hold, just a demonstrative example.) There is no evidence that allowing trans people to use the correct bathrooms hurts anyone; disallowing that hurts trans people, and probably cis people too (even if they don't realize it), because it's actually forcing the exact thing legislators are claiming they don't want: men in women's restrooms. You think a woman will feel safe and comfortable seeing this guy in a ladies room? I doubt it.

crescentstars

Bronze

Post by crescentstars » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:41 pm

So I'm going to shift the topic to add that I noticed that some schools have started creating additional queer groups on campuses. In particular, I know that Columbia and Harvard have approved a QPOC group and a QTPOC group respectively.

Scone, do you think this is something that could be added in the opening post? It might be important for admits/prospective students to be aware of them. I'm also sure that some groups like these are springing up at other law schools too, so if anyone else has something to add, it might be helpful.

And in case anyone's curious, here's the blurb about the Harvard group from the school's student group website (I couldn't find Columbia's, though I know it exists!). I don't think either has an official website yet since they're both so new, but the Harvard one has an email that could be added to the OP too.

"For students standing at the intersection of marginalized communities, entering Harvard Law School can be an emotionally taxing endeavor. As a new student affinity group, QTPOC imagines a community in which queer and racial/ethnic identities receive equal weight. This enables collaboration with queer and POC affinity groups while also enabling tailored discussions on topics and issues uniquely relevant to queer and trans individuals that identify as people of color.

Email: QTPOC@mail.law.harvard.edu"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”