ASU c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
IWannaJD

Re: ASU c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby IWannaJD » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:27 pm

DC@Heart22 wrote:Has anyone who applied/went complete mid-February received a decision recently? It has been so silent... hope that's not a bad sign.

I applied on 2/28, got my acceptance already.. but I applied binding so they say you get priority review

jgrove

Postby jgrove » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:58 pm

Bets wrote:
asu_admit wrote:Does anyone know what information is contained in the snail mail admissions info? Gotten the phone call, received an email. Just curious what exactly comes in the mail. Hoping to visit sometime!

Can I follow up by asking how long it took to receive after getting the call?

Mine came about a week later. Caveat: I'm local, and they sent it with this big ol' booklet thing because I applied as an O'Connor scholar. I think everyone else gets a folder with an official letter and scholarship offer (if they give you an offer).

Bets

Postby Bets » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:10 pm

Mine came about a week later. Caveat: I'm local, and they sent it with this big ol' booklet thing because I applied as an O'Connor scholar. I think everyone else gets a folder with an official letter and scholarship offer (if they give you an offer).[/quote]

Thanks! I'm local too, but I applied regular admission. I'll keep stalking the mailbox.

mstone219

Postby mstone219 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:57 pm

Here's a thought. Finally got my acceptance call. Stoked, committed, all set.

Now how do we go about finding roommates? I'm doing Sport Law and would ideally like at least one of my roommates to be a sport law guy too, but staying open minded since 1L won't have sport-specific classes anyway.

Where do we go to connect with admitted/committed 2019 students to make housing arrangements?

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:01 pm

mstone219 wrote:Here's a thought. Finally got my acceptance call. Stoked, committed, all set.

Now how do we go about finding roommates? I'm doing Sport Law and would ideally like at least one of my roommates to be a sport law guy too, but staying open minded since 1L won't have sport-specific classes anyway.

Where do we go to connect with admitted/committed 2019 students to make housing arrangements?

Look for a facebook page

SlithyTove

Postby SlithyTove » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:22 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
mstone219 wrote:Here's a thought. Finally got my acceptance call. Stoked, committed, all set.

Look for a facebook page

You could also start an ASU c\o 2019 thread in the TLS Class of 2019 forum. Those usually get rolling once people have committed to a specific school, just needs someone to start it.

mstone219

Postby mstone219 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:46 pm

SlithyTove wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

Look for a facebook page

You could also start an ASU c\o 2019 thread in the TLS Class of 2019 forum. Those usually get rolling once people have committed to a specific school, just needs someone to start it.

I'll try that TLS forum. No groups on fb rn. I looked. Any other suggestions?

SlithyTove

Postby SlithyTove » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:02 pm

mstone219 wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

Look for a facebook page

I'd start that thread in the C/O 2019 Forum and then hold tight for a while. Most people haven't committed to one school yet and will likely not start thinking about housing until after the deposit deadlines. There will probably be a facebook group eventually and as people commit to ASU, they'll join in the conversation on the thread. I bet that after May 1st you'll have a lot more luck.

MH136

Postby MH136 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:43 pm

I think I've already replied to one of your posts, but I'm in the same boat. I'm planning on doing sports law as well, and am searching for a roommate.

My problem is that I live far far away, and have no idea where to live. I've looked at two options, one downtown and one near ASU main campus, but still plan on taking a trip to Phoenix to get a better idea (couldn't attend ASW).

Anyway, just thought I'd throw my hat into the roommate search ring.

jgrove

Postby jgrove » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:49 pm

SlithyTove wrote:
mstone219 wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

Look for a facebook page

I'd start that thread in the C/O 2019 Forum and then hold tight for a while. Most people haven't committed to one school yet and will likely not start thinking about housing until after the deposit deadlines. There will probably be a facebook group eventually and as people commit to ASU, they'll join in the conversation on the thread. I bet that after May 1st you'll have a lot more luck.

Hey all, I'm 100% committed to ASU Law and I'm local. So I went ahead and made a Facebook group page for the Class of 2019 (I couldn't find one either). Now you all know my real name and that I'm local. It's a closed group, so just request to be added and I'll confirm you.

Are there any other people who are really on board with organizing Facebook stuff? I could add you as an admin as well.

mstone219

Postby mstone219 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:57 pm

jgrove wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
mstone219 wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

Look for a facebook page

Hey all, I'm 100% committed to ASU Law and I'm local. So I went ahead and made a Facebook group page for the Class of 2019 (I couldn't find one either). Now you all know my real name and that I'm local. It's a closed group, so just request to be added and I'll confirm you.

Are there any other people who are really on board with organizing Facebook stuff? I could add you as an admin as well.

I just requested to join. I work a ton in anticipation of giving all my money to our girl Sandra Day O'Connor, but wouldn't mind some admin status to help you build the group in my free time.

jgrove

Postby jgrove » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:10 pm

mstone219 wrote:
jgrove wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
mstone219 wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

Look for a facebook page

I just requested to join. I work a ton in anticipation of giving all my money to our girl Sandra Day O'Connor, but wouldn't mind some admin status to help you build the group in my free time.

Oh cool, that's a big help. I'm wrapping up my own job (holding interviews for my own position: what a trip) so my time is a bit limited as well. I went ahead and added you as admin, so we can at least have two distracted people at the helm instead of one!

heyimliz

Postby heyimliz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:19 pm

jgrove wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
mstone219 wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

Look for a facebook page

I just requested to join, my name is Liz Small :)

chris.heo

Postby chris.heo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:23 pm

heyimliz wrote:
jgrove wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
mstone219 wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

Look for a facebook page

I just requested to join, my name is Liz Small :)

Hey everyone, looks like you all are getting a good jump on 1L year! As a current 2L, I'm glad to see you that the incoming class is excited to start! I do know the law school will be creating a class facebook page (and a forum on ASU's Blackboard site) for people in the class to get to know each other and set up roommates etc. The facebook page usually gets sent at the end of spring so it should be coming out in the next few weeks.

Hope to see all of you in the Fall in our shiny new building!

mstone219

Postby mstone219 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:52 pm

chris.heo wrote:
Hey everyone, looks like you all are getting a good jump on 1L year! As a current 2L, I'm glad to see you that the incoming class is excited to start! I do know the law school will be creating a class facebook page (and a forum on ASU's Blackboard site) for people in the class to get to know each other and set up roommates etc. The facebook page usually gets sent at the end of spring so it should be coming out in the next few weeks.

Hope to see all of you in the Fall in our shiny new building!

Thanks, Chris. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Any other advice for 1Ls? Otherwise, see you in a couple months.

kmbrenn2

Postby kmbrenn2 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:33 pm

I applied to the Binding Program in mid February, moved to the regular applicant pool on February 24 and have been waiting anxiously since then. I am local and ASU is my top choice. I have just received a quick acceptance at University of San Diego and need to put a deposit down by April 30.

As I'm under the impression that being placed on "hold" isn't the same as waitlisted, I am wondering if it's appropriate to email admissions and let them know I'm still extremely interested in ASU and/or that I've heard back and received a considerable scholly from USD? I'm doubtful that USD is competitive enough with ASU to hold any leverage, but curious to see what others in this position have done.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far! :D

steviewonders

Postby steviewonders » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:39 am

Can any curent ASU student chime in on the real impact of moving the campus downtown? I know it hasn't happened yet, but, they've been pushing this notion that the larger/more firms are in closer proximity.

But given ASU already owns Arizona, isn't there little to be gained in terms of additional firms recruiting from the campus if it's downtown? Weren't these firms/businesses already heading out to Tempe beforehand?

I realize my question is slightly theoretical in nature, but curious to hear any takes.

Thanks!

Been accepted at ASU and deposited, but am still trying to finalize my decision.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:35 am

steviewonders wrote:Can any curent ASU student chime in on the real impact of moving the campus downtown? I know it hasn't happened yet, but, they've been pushing this notion that the larger/more firms are in closer proximity.

But given ASU already owns Arizona, isn't there little to be gained in terms of additional firms recruiting from the campus if it's downtown? Weren't these firms/businesses already heading out to Tempe beforehand?

I realize my question is slightly theoretical in nature, but curious to hear any takes.

Thanks!

Been accepted at ASU and deposited, but am still trying to finalize my decision.

Obviously they are going to sell the move to students any way they can. But really, it will have some positive impact even if a small one. Most of the externship/internship opportunities are in the downtown area and, like ASU has been pushing, the larger firms are also in the area. ASU owning Arizona may be a bit of a stretch. UofA has mad pull even in the downtown area simply because there is a large alumni network. ASU also has concerns about Summit; not based on their rankings but because Summit has such a close proximity to other firms/downtown area their students that know how to hustle are gobbling up opportunities that could otherwise be had by ASU grads.

tl;dr: The move will help but it won't be as significant as they make it seem.

Nachoo2019

Postby Nachoo2019 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:40 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
steviewonders wrote:Can any curent ASU student chime in on the real impact of moving the campus downtown? I know it hasn't happened yet, but, they've been pushing this notion that the larger/more firms are in closer proximity.

Thanks!

Obviously they are going to sell the move to students any way they can. But really, it will have some positive impact even if a small one. Most of the externship/internship opportunities are in the downtown area and, like ASU has been pushing, the larger firms are also in the area. ASU owning Arizona may be a bit of a stretch. UofA has mad pull even in the downtown area simply because there is a large alumni network. ASU also has concerns about Summit; not based on their rankings but because Summit has such a close proximity to other firms/downtown area their students that know how to hustle are gobbling up opportunities that could otherwise be had by ASU grads.

Everything Gaud said above is spot on.... But god damn that building looks beautiful. I walk by it on my way to class everyday

RacheterRaptor

Postby RacheterRaptor » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:21 pm

Now that things are all over (or nearly over) for this cycle, just want to let future applicants know about my timeline, numbers, and offers so they can get a sense of what they might expect. My stats: 165/3.7x

Complete: 11/1
In Review: 11/12
Accepted: 11/17

Initial offer was 20k/15k/10k each year, 45k total.

Got an email in February from Dean of Admissions, said they have more money available for scholarships. Had a Skype interview late February with the Dean of Admissions.

I did get a significantly increased scholarship offer, but it didn't come until March 31, literally the day before their deposit deadline. The offer was for 40k first year (I'm out of state) and then either 20k 2nd and 3rd year if I was in-state, or 35k 2nd and 3rd year if I was still out of state. Basically they were guaranteeing I would only pay about 15k in tuition over three years.

For a number of reasons, I declined the offer. But future applicants, know that negotiating definitely works, and also know that they do these in state/out of state offers. Good luck!

Shib26

Postby Shib26 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:39 pm

Managed to get my deposit deadline pushed back again since I'm still in the negotiation process with ASU and another school. I will say this much, ASU has been very cooperative and pretty much bent over backwards to try to get me there. I'm strongly leaning towards joining you guys in the fall.

Billy.berry

Postby Billy.berry » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:49 pm

kmbrenn2 wrote:I applied to the Binding Program in mid February, moved to the regular applicant pool on February 24 and have been waiting anxiously since then. I am local and ASU is my top choice. I have just received a quick acceptance at University of San Diego and need to put a deposit down by April 30.

As I'm under the impression that being placed on "hold" isn't the same as waitlisted, I am wondering if it's appropriate to email admissions and let them know I'm still extremely interested in ASU and/or that I've heard back and received a considerable scholly from USD? I'm doubtful that USD is competitive enough with ASU to hold any leverage, but curious to see what others in this position have done.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far! :D

I am in the same boat! Any advice or info. I'm still wondering if the hold is a good thing or If it means anything at all. I've been stressing now for a month! Any advice is really appreciated!

steviewonders

Postby steviewonders » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:05 am

Good Guy Gaud wrote:

Thanks!

Appreciate you taking the time, thank you.

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:44 pm

I have heard they have been pretty stingy this cycle, I wonder at what stats are people being offered full-rides? ASU is one of my top choices for next cycle.

Billy.berry

Postby Billy.berry » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:31 pm

Hello!

I am currently on hold with ASU as I applied for the O'Connor Scholars program. I have yet to hear anything at all and I am still on hold. However, I received a weird email from ASU about the downtown campus and a link that is titled "your page". Has anyone else received this or am I making a big deal over nothing?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”