ASU c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rdreiley1

New

Re: ASU c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Post by rdreiley1 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:21 pm

Hello! got admitted but my offer was not what I expected. Had a 167 LSAT and 3.92GPA but got $40k total for the offer. Any ideas on negotiation?

LandMermaid

Bronze

Post by LandMermaid » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:12 am

rdreiley1 wrote:Hello! got admitted but my offer was not what I expected. Had a 167 LSAT and 3.92GPA but got $40k total for the offer. Any ideas on negotiation?
Are you sure it's not 40k per year? I have similar stats and got exactly that much annually. I remember the letter being slightly confusing

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:55 am

rdreiley1 wrote:Hello! got admitted but my offer was not what I expected. Had a 167 LSAT and 3.92GPA but got $40k total for the offer. Any ideas on negotiation?
Do you have any higher offers from other school or acceptances from higher ranked schools? ASU is definitely open to renegotiation but will ask for documentation of offers from other schools. I would check out the thread "Negotiating Scholarships Works!!!" here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... hp?t=27221 (I found pages 1, 15 and 17 to be especially useful) and this thread is awesome too: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373

rdreiley1

New

Post by rdreiley1 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:11 pm

LandMermaid wrote:
Are you sure it's not 40k per year? I have similar stats and got exactly that much annually. I remember the letter being slightly confusing

Yeah I am sure. The actual offer is 20 first year, 15 for 2nd, 5 for third. Its bizarre

rdreiley1

New

Post by rdreiley1 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:13 pm

SlithyTove wrote:
Do you have any higher offers from other school or acceptances from higher ranked schools? ASU is definitely open to renegotiation but will ask for documentation of offers from other schools. I would check out the thread "Negotiating Scholarships Works!!!" here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... hp?t=27221 (I found pages 1, 15 and 17 to be especially useful) and this thread is awesome too: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373

Yeah I do have better school offers. 25/year from USC, 30/year from Vandy with 5k summer/tuition stipend, 20/year William and Mary.

But COA over all would be more for those schools so Im not sure how to approach it. Cant exactly say they cost too much compared to the other schools

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LandMermaid

Bronze

Post by LandMermaid » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:16 pm

rdreiley1 wrote:
LandMermaid wrote:

Yeah I am sure. The actual offer is 20 first year, 15 for 2nd, 5 for third. Its bizarre
Wow that is crazy... i would definitely negotiate that up. So weird. Good luck!

IWannaJD

New

Post by IWannaJD » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:55 am

mstone219 wrote:
nousernameplease wrote: phoenix is more fun but tempe is """Safer"" i guess. i don't know. i'm just curious
Phoenix is more fun than Tempe? How is that possible with all the Tempe nightlife on Mills Ave and the undergrad action. (I'm from the northeast so I don't know much about it.)
Depends on what you think is fun. Phoenix has hangouts like comedy clubs and things like that; Tempe has Mill Ave and is a short Uber away from Old Town Scottsdale which is way better for the bar/club environment.

heyimliz

New

Post by heyimliz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:46 pm

Hope to get to meet some of you tomorrow and/or Friday! My name is Liz, and even though I am 29, I'm dragging my mom along with me because she is the coolest.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:51 pm

heyimliz wrote:Hope to get to meet some of you tomorrow and/or Friday! My name is Liz, and even though I am 29, I'm dragging my mom along with me because she is the coolest.
Be prepared for some great weather! I just got to campus and it said 88 degrees on my car thermometer! lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

heyimliz

New

Post by heyimliz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:56 pm

kwabedi wrote:
heyimliz wrote:Hope to get to meet some of you tomorrow and/or Friday! My name is Liz, and even though I am 29, I'm dragging my mom along with me because she is the coolest.
Be prepared for some great weather! I just got to campus and it said 88 degrees on my car thermometer! lol
I'm so ready for warm! I live in Washington State, so it's been a chilly few months.

jgrove

New

Post by jgrove » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:44 pm

mstone219 wrote:
nousernameplease wrote: phoenix is more fun but tempe is """Safer"" i guess. i don't know. i'm just curious
Phoenix is more fun than Tempe? How is that possible with all the Tempe nightlife on Mills Ave and the undergrad action. (I'm from the northeast so I don't know much about it.)
Depends on what you're looking for. If you like the trendy upscale scene, Old Town Scottsdale and Downtown Tempe are your vibe. They're expensive, though. If you want art galleries and indie businesses, downtown Phoenix is more your jam. It's more my jam, for the record, so I'm biased. We have a fantastic First Friday artwalk, and Roosevelt Row is one of the up-and-coming art districts in the country. You can get some seriously amazing food, too, for half the price you'd pay at the upscale chains in Scottsdale.

Hipsters and 30-somethings prefer Phoenix to Tempe. Tempe is crawling with undergrads. Not my scene, but I'm pushing 30.

Scottsdale is where the rich party, but there's some neat indie restaurants in there (check out the 5th Avenue shops area for the best of them).

jgrove

New

Post by jgrove » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:48 pm

Contact the Assistant Director of Financial Aid, his name is Eric Border. He'll give you a link to an online form where you can write a letter about why they should reconsider your scholarship amount. I'm in the process of writing mine.

I thought my scholarship was below what I wanted too. I'm in-state, so mine was 80% of my tuition. But I have LSATs ten points higher than their median, so I wanted a full ride. We'll see what happens.

Good luck on your renegotiation! I highly recommend doing it, even if nothing comes of it. Worse case scenario is exactly what you have now, while best case is getting even more.

steviewonders

New

Post by steviewonders » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:50 am

Had an amazing time! Catching some spring training today. Dean Sylvester was very personable, one on one. Just positive all around.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:31 pm

steviewonders wrote:Had an amazing time! Catching some spring training today. Dean Sylvester was very personable, one on one. Just positive all around.
I met the Dean a few weeks ago and I really liked him too. He seems pretty checked in to the student experience. What did you think of the new building?! Super bummed I wasn't able to make it to ASW but I'd love to live though the experiences of anyone who was there.

rdreiley1

New

Post by rdreiley1 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:04 pm

jgrove wrote:
Contact the Assistant Director of Financial Aid, his name is Eric Border. He'll give you a link to an online form where you can write a letter about why they should reconsider your scholarship amount. I'm in the process of writing mine.

I thought my scholarship was below what I wanted too. I'm in-state, so mine was 80% of my tuition. But I have LSATs ten points higher than their median, so I wanted a full ride. We'll see what happens.

Good luck on your renegotiation! I highly recommend doing it, even if nothing comes of it. Worse case scenario is exactly what you have now, while best case is getting even more.

Re-negotiated and they are offering 20k/year now. Woot woot

Trying to decide between Vanderbilt and ASU now. Much more expensive over all to go to Vandy(7k/year tuition vs 24k). Crimety

heyimliz

New

Post by heyimliz » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:20 pm

I was really impressed with the dean and faculty I spoke with at ASW. Tempe is so fun, kinda sad the school is moving to downtown Phoenix, but the building is amazing. So I'm not that sad.

steviewonders

New

Post by steviewonders » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:25 am

SlithyTove wrote:
steviewonders wrote:Had an amazing time! Catching some spring training today. Dean Sylvester was very personable, one on one. Just positive all around.
I met the Dean a few weeks ago and I really liked him too. He seems pretty checked in to the student experience. What did you think of the new building?! Super bummed I wasn't able to make it to ASW but I'd love to live though the experiences of anyone who was there.
I know a lot of these events are spin/persuasion jobs, but I genuinely felt that the Dean meant what he said to students. He doesn't come off as a higher up - either he really isn't in the way he approaches his job, like you said, or he's an extremely good actor.

The new building's renderings look absolutely stunning – a lot of work is still to be done on it (believe it or not!). During our visit, we were taken to a lot of the places shown to us on the rendering, but it's hard to get a full sense of it in the current state. The location is superb, however – right near the financial and arts districts.

Some people are bummed they're moving from Tempe to downtown, but I'm not one of them. Nothing wrong with Tempe, but I've always been more of a city center than college town kind of guy. :P

Met a bunch of very nice people with whom I had long conversations. If I decide to attend ASU, I will absolutely hit them up once again.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DC@Heart22

New

Post by DC@Heart22 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:47 pm

Has anyone who applied/went complete mid-February received a decision recently? It has been so silent... hope that's not a bad sign.

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:56 pm

steviewonders wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
I know a lot of these events are spin/persuasion jobs, but I genuinely felt that the Dean meant what he said to students. He doesn't come off as a higher up - either he really isn't in the way he approaches his job, like you said, or he's an extremely good actor.

The new building's renderings look absolutely stunning – a lot of work is still to be done on it (believe it or not!). During our visit, we were taken to a lot of the places shown to us on the rendering, but it's hard to get a full sense of it in the current state. The location is superb, however – right near the financial and arts districts.

Some people are bummed they're moving from Tempe to downtown, but I'm not one of them. Nothing wrong with Tempe, but I've always been more of a city center than college town kind of guy. :P

Met a bunch of very nice people with whom I had long conversations. If I decide to attend ASU, I will absolutely hit them up once again.
I agree, I actually HATE Tempe so the fact that the school is downtown is a big plus for me. Also my SO is an architect so we've had fun ogling the renderings.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm going to try to visit but I'm not sure I'll be able to before the (ridiculously early) deposit deadline so feedback from others is super helpful.

astro24

New

Post by astro24 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:34 pm

Six weeks since I applied. Haven't heard anything yet. Getting nervous. :|

Bets

New

Post by Bets » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:19 pm

DC@Heart22 wrote:Has anyone who applied/went complete mid-February received a decision recently? It has been so silent... hope that's not a bad sign.
Complete 2/17. I got the phone call 3/15, followed by an email 3/18.
I hope you hear soon! March 7-11 was Spring Break, so I'm not sure how that affected things.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

asu_admit

New

Post by asu_admit » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:22 pm

Does anyone know what information is contained in the snail mail admissions info? Gotten the phone call, received an email. Just curious what exactly comes in the mail. Hoping to visit sometime!

Bets

New

Post by Bets » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:26 pm

asu_admit wrote:Does anyone know what information is contained in the snail mail admissions info? Gotten the phone call, received an email. Just curious what exactly comes in the mail. Hoping to visit sometime!
Can I follow up by asking how long it took to receive after getting the call?

Shib26

Bronze

Post by Shib26 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:33 pm

asu_admit wrote:Does anyone know what information is contained in the snail mail admissions info? Gotten the phone call, received an email. Just curious what exactly comes in the mail. Hoping to visit sometime!
It's nice but not much, mine basically had an official acceptance letter, scholarship information, and viewbook.

astro24

New

Post by astro24 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:43 pm

Bets wrote:
DC@Heart22 wrote:Has anyone who applied/went complete mid-February received a decision recently? It has been so silent... hope that's not a bad sign.
Complete 2/17. I got the phone call 3/15, followed by an email 3/18.
I hope you hear soon! March 7-11 was Spring Break, so I'm not sure how that affected things.
Crap. Mine was completed 2/8.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”