UCLA Law c/o 2019 (2015-2016) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
batman88

New

Re: UCLA Law c/o 2019 (2015-2016)

Post by batman88 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:31 pm

Emailed Dean Schwartz Friday 4/1 about scholarship and have yet to receive a reply...is this normal? Would it be rude to send a followup?

tiggerkitty

New

Post by tiggerkitty » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:00 pm

What has the average turnaround time been to hear about scholly info for those who were admitted "later" in the cycle (i.e. Feb-March)? I haven't heard anything yet so will probably shoot fin aid an email since deposits are due soon- I have some friends who were accepted in Jan/ early Feb who said it took two months to hear about $ :|

LShopeful2016

Bronze

Post by LShopeful2016 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:13 pm

batman88 wrote:Emailed Dean Schwartz Friday 4/1 about scholarship and have yet to receive a reply...is this normal? Would it be rude to send a followup?
It's been less than 2 business days. You need to wait.

downtownboy

New

Post by downtownboy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:23 am

When’s the first seat deposit due?

Crushing_on_Hawke

New

Post by Crushing_on_Hawke » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:31 am

Has anyone who applied on February 1st got their decisions back yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The_Lorax

Bronze

Post by The_Lorax » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:46 am

downtownboy wrote:When’s the first seat deposit due?
4/15

The_Lorax

Bronze

Post by The_Lorax » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:47 am

Crushing_on_Hawke wrote:Has anyone who applied on February 1st got their decisions back yet?
Not quite, but I applied 1/24 and heard back last week

Crushing_on_Hawke

New

Post by Crushing_on_Hawke » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:10 am

The_Lorax wrote:
Crushing_on_Hawke wrote:Has anyone who applied on February 1st got their decisions back yet?
Not quite, but I applied 1/24 and heard back last week
Close enough :)

kala94

New

Post by kala94 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:09 pm

Not me personally but someone on LSN looks like their application was received on 2/01, complete on 3/01 and heard back yesterday.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

calgoldenbear

Bronze

Post by calgoldenbear » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:21 pm

What is the accepted, waitlist, rejection pattern for UCLA throughout the week?

worldhunter

New

Post by worldhunter » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:38 pm

calgoldenbear wrote:What is the accepted, waitlist, rejection pattern for UCLA throughout the week?
Ha! :lol:

KL10

New

Post by KL10 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:47 pm

kala94 wrote:
Not me personally but someone on LSN looks like their application was received on 2/01, complete on 3/01 and heard back yesterday.
Did they get in?

kala94

New

Post by kala94 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:25 pm

KL10 wrote:
kala94 wrote:
Did they get in?
Yes

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

capricasixx

Silver

Post by capricasixx » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:37 pm

kala94 wrote:
KL10 wrote:
kala94 wrote:
Did they get in?
Yes
Where on LSN are you finding timeline info? please and thanks

downtownboy

New

Post by downtownboy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:43 pm

The_Lorax wrote:
downtownboy wrote:When’s the first seat deposit due?
4/15
Ah, thanks!

Lynched.Pin

New

Post by Lynched.Pin » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:46 pm

Completed 03/02. Still no response. Sent in a LOCI a few days ago with an address change. Address remains incorrect on status checker.

Did they read it? Will they even look at my application? Am I crazy?

I suppose we'll find out in due time.

calgoldenbear

Bronze

Post by calgoldenbear » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:56 pm

Lynched.Pin wrote:Completed 03/02. Still no response. Sent in a LOCI a few days ago with an address change. Address remains incorrect on status checker.

Did they read it? Will they even look at my application? Am I crazy?

I suppose we'll find out in due time.
Should we be sending LOCIs to schools that haven't provided any decision yet? I thought this was best used if you were on a waitlist?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lynched.Pin

New

Post by Lynched.Pin » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:16 pm

calgoldenbear wrote: Should we be sending LOCIs to schools that haven't provided any decision yet? I thought this was best used if you were on a waitlist?
Sure as a rule of thumb it should be used for WL. But when seat depos have passed for many schools already, it's fine to remind them that you exist. I'll let you know if it pays off.

Edit: Plus, if you have an update to the application (as trivial as an address change, perhaps) it's fine to reiterate your interest at the same time.

kala94

New

Post by kala94 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:58 pm

capricasixx wrote:
kala94 wrote:
KL10 wrote:
kala94 wrote:
Did they get in?
Yes
http://ucla.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants the tabs have each status and some people actually update the dates

capricasixx

Silver

Post by capricasixx » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:33 pm

kala94 wrote:
capricasixx wrote:
kala94 wrote:
KL10 wrote:
kala94 wrote:
Did they get in?
Yes
http://ucla.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants the tabs have each status and some people actually update the dates
Ahh this is helpful - thanks!

LShopeful2016

Bronze

Post by LShopeful2016 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:22 pm

So I went to visit the school last week and I just wanted to share my experience. I really didn’t want to at first but after talking with a few people on here about it, I’ve decided to just do it.

First, I wanted to book like an information session, but apparently they don’t have them anymore because “it’s too late in the process; people are already picking schools.” Doesn’t make sense to me, but whatever. So I booked the tour and the classroom visit.
I couldn’t understand that teacher for the life of me. His accent was so thick. The students there seemed to understand though, so I’m sure that if I had been in the class for as long as they have, I probably would have by then too.
I spoke with someone from admissions. She really didn’t do a good job of answering my questions. She seemed to be kind of annoyed like she had answered these questions so many times today already.
The tour was alright. It’s a nice school, but nothing extraordinary. Same with the student leading the tour. He seemed nice and knowledgeable.

But the thing that I disliked the most about the school was that everyone just seemed so…idk how to explain it….like by themselves. For example, at other schools I have visited, the current students seemed interested in us. They talk to us, either after the class visit or just stopped to talk while we were taking the tour. I had several students come up after the class and ask us what schools we were interested in, tell us their story, share the goods and somewhat bads about the schools. No students talked to me or the group of us at all. And on the tour, students seemed to be off doing their own thing as well. No comradery I guess like there was at the other schools.
I’m not sure if this is because of the competitiveness of the school or if they’re just so tired of seeing 0Ls at their school or if they all have midterms/finals coming up or what. But I didn’t like the vibe at all.

My experience wasn’t a good one. But I’m trying not to base my decision on that 1 visit. And no one here should either. But I just wanted to share. And if others have had other experiences, please share!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

worldhunter

New

Post by worldhunter » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:42 pm

LShopeful2016 wrote:So I went to visit the school last week and I just wanted to share my experience. I really didn’t want to at first but after talking with a few people on here about it, I’ve decided to just do it.

First, I wanted to book like an information session, but apparently they don’t have them anymore because “it’s too late in the process; people are already picking schools.” Doesn’t make sense to me, but whatever. So I booked the tour and the classroom visit.
I couldn’t understand that teacher for the life of me. His accent was so thick. The students there seemed to understand though, so I’m sure that if I had been in the class for as long as they have, I probably would have by then too.
I spoke with someone from admissions. She really didn’t do a good job of answering my questions. She seemed to be kind of annoyed like she had answered these questions so many times today already.
The tour was alright. It’s a nice school, but nothing extraordinary. Same with the student leading the tour. He seemed nice and knowledgeable.

But the thing that I disliked the most about the school was that everyone just seemed so…idk how to explain it….like by themselves. For example, at other schools I have visited, the current students seemed interested in us. They talk to us, either after the class visit or just stopped to talk while we were taking the tour. I had several students come up after the class and ask us what schools we were interested in, tell us their story, share the goods and somewhat bads about the schools. No students talked to me or the group of us at all. And on the tour, students seemed to be off doing their own thing as well. No comradery I guess like there was at the other schools.
I’m not sure if this is because of the competitiveness of the school or if they’re just so tired of seeing 0Ls at their school or if they all have midterms/finals coming up or what. But I didn’t like the vibe at all.

My experience wasn’t a good one. But I’m trying not to base my decision on that 1 visit. And no one here should either. But I just wanted to share. And if others have had other experiences, please share!
I had the EXACT opposite experience, and I loved the "vibe" at the school. You may want to toughen up a little. :lol:

Holodigm

New

Post by Holodigm » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:46 pm

worldhunter wrote:
LShopeful2016 wrote:So I went to visit the school last week and I just wanted to share my experience. I really didn’t want to at first but after talking with a few people on here about it, I’ve decided to just do it.

I had the EXACT opposite experience, and I loved the "vibe" at the school. You may want to toughen up a little. :lol:
My experience leaned more towards LShopeful's - while it didn't bother me that none of the students came up and talked to us (they got their own shit to deal with), the students just didn't seem to be that happy. While I don't expect law school to be bubbles and rainbows, at every other campus I visited (while classes were going on) the students were talking and chatting and genuinely seemed like they were enjoying themselves. Not to show my nerd card, but it was like starting the Harry Potter movies with Prizoner of Azkaban, watching that movie 5 times, and then watching Sorcerer's Stone. That being said, I absolutely could have gotten the vibe all wrong, and assuming I'm accepted (fingers crossed) I'll visit again with a completely open mind.

Draconem

Bronze

Post by Draconem » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:56 pm

Holodigm wrote:
worldhunter wrote:

My experience leaned more towards LShopeful's - while it didn't bother me that none of the students came up and talked to us (they got their own shit to deal with), the students just didn't seem to be that happy. While I don't expect law school to be bubbles and rainbows, at every other campus I visited (while classes were going on) the students were talking and chatting and genuinely seemed like they were enjoying themselves. Not to show my nerd card, but it was like starting the Harry Potter movies with Prizoner of Azkaban, watching that movie 5 times, and then watching Sorcerer's Stone. That being said, I absolutely could have gotten the vibe all wrong, and assuming I'm accepted (fingers crossed) I'll visit again with a completely open mind.
Same, honestly.

The_Lorax

Bronze

Post by The_Lorax » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:55 am

Draconem wrote:
Holodigm wrote:
worldhunter wrote:

Same, honestly.
I hate to pile on, but I had a very similar experience. Of course I was just on campus for 1 day, so obviously the smallest of sample sizes

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”