I already know the answer, I just need you to tell me same

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Chowfun

I already know the answer, I just need you to tell me same

Postby Chowfun » Wed May 13, 2015 11:23 am

I have not received an answer from Fordham. They are my only school left and the most convenient one for me financially. It has been over 2 months. I have not been waitlisted, denied or accepted. My status update recently changed to 5/8. I assume this means an answer soon, but that is not a direct indicator.

I'm trying to be really patient, because I know they have other applicants. I know they are probably working diligently. I don't want to harass them. I don't think I'm over reacting, but I don't want to get on their bad side, at this point I mean....

I want to call them, but I don't want to seem rude. When it comes to things like this, I know there is a nice way of following up that isn't emotionally driven.

Ugh, I'll call them.

Should I wait till Friday?

Hand

Re: I already know the answer, I just need you to tell me same

Postby Hand » Wed May 13, 2015 11:24 am

Chowfun wrote:the most convenient one for me financially

interested in this, please elaborate

ETA: what I want to know is, do you have a big stack of boy-loving jesuit dollars stuffed under your mattress?

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Wed May 13, 2015 11:27 am

Dude chill.

The email said that if you don't hear back by next week, it is okay to contact them.

tealeaves12

Postby tealeaves12 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:29 am

Chowfun wrote: It has been over 2 months. I have not been waitlisted, denied or accepted. My status update recently changed to 5/8. I assume this means an answer soon, but that is not a direct indicator.

Was that the first time your status had a date change? If so, I'd give it at least another week or two. My status checker had 3 or 4 date changes before a decision came through. (They were all within a 2 or 3 week range though, so maybe you're onto something with assuming it means an answer soon, but maybe not as soon as you think?)

Edit - this was a few months ago in the cycle though. I'd just listen to Laws on this.
Last edited by tealeaves12 on Wed May 13, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed May 13, 2015 11:29 am

I don't see any harm in calling. Just be polite.

PourMeTea

Postby PourMeTea » Wed May 13, 2015 11:30 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:I don't see any harm in calling. Just be polite.

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Wed May 13, 2015 11:31 am

And not crazy.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:31 am

Chowfun wrote:It has been over 2 months. I have not been waitlisted, denied or accepted.

Relax. This is what happens when you apply late. Or sometimes it just happens. People in the NYU and NU threads (and others I'm sure) went SEVEN-PLUS MONTHS without word one from their schools.

I feel ya, I do. You can give them a call, just don't be crazy. Crazy doesn't play well.

PourMeTea

Postby PourMeTea » Wed May 13, 2015 11:33 am

TasmanianToucan wrote:

And not crazy.

yeah, this. you seem on edge. try to control yourself.

MurdockLLP

Postby MurdockLLP » Wed May 13, 2015 11:34 am

Dude needs to calm down. Take a step away from the computer, checking statuses, worrying, and go outside. Whatever you do now will not change their answer (unless, of course you go crazy, call them, insult them, and ultimately get rejected). Just breathe and relax. When they decide, you'll hear.

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Wed May 13, 2015 11:36 am

LawsRUs wrote:Dude chill.

The email said that if you don't hear back by next week, it is okay to contact them.

I didn't get an email?

when was this sent. :(

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Wed May 13, 2015 11:40 am

I wish I could go outside...park ave never looked so tempting, but finance is fun and my chair would miss me if I'm gone.

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Wed May 13, 2015 11:41 am

Hand wrote:
Chowfun wrote:the most convenient one for me financially

interested in this, please elaborate

ETA: what I want to know is, do you have a big stack of boy-loving jesuit dollars stuffed under your mattress?

lol I wouldn't need to move. It's like 5 blocks from my apt. I don't pay rent and I don't need transportation. My dollars aren't boy- loving and Jesuit or under a mattress, but they are there.

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Wed May 13, 2015 11:45 am

Question: If you have a finance job on Park avenue that is fun and involves a chair friendly enough to miss you, why the hell are you even thinking about Fordham, or any other law school for that matter?!

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Wed May 13, 2015 11:46 am

April 17

Actually, you might need to contact them. I just reread the email, and it said three weeks. fwiw, I got in last week.

But as others said, don't be crazy.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed May 13, 2015 11:47 am

TasmanianToucan wrote:Question: If you have a finance job on Park avenue that is fun and involves a chair friendly enough to miss you, why the hell are you even thinking about Fordham, or any other law school for that matter?!

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Wed May 13, 2015 12:04 pm

TasmanianToucan wrote:Question: If you have a finance job on Park avenue that is fun and involves a chair friendly enough to miss you, why the hell are you even thinking about Fordham, or any other law school for that matter?!

I'm 22. I've always wanted to go to law school since I was a kid. At my company, I have the ability to work my way up, but it is a slow process. My mom pressures me to go, because she lives in this bubble that law is the key that opens so many doors. Whether that was the case 20-30 years ago, I doubt it is now. When I was a kid, law seemed like an amazing profession, it is an esteemed degree, the pay was glorious and with a law degree the perception is that you can do anything and work for your self etc...

However, now I hear of the struggles a lot of graduates face across all borders and it scares me. I love being financially stable. I love having money in the bank that makes me feel safe, in case things go wrong. The debt of 100k scares me as well as the apparent low job prospects. Therefore, I wasn't going to quit my job to go to a Columiba, Harvard or Yale, it didn't seem worth it. I wanted to play it as safe as possible.

However, I have a stable job, which I love, but it doesn't pay me enough to be able to pay rent and save. It will take some time to make big money. My mother is feeding me that if I become lawyer things will be better!!

I'm hoping that the company I work for will hire me as we have lawyers here.

PourMeTea

Postby PourMeTea » Wed May 13, 2015 12:08 pm

it like, really isn't "playing it safe" to attend fordham

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed May 13, 2015 12:09 pm

Chowfun wrote:

I'm 22. I've always wanted to go to law school since I was a kid. At my company, I have the ability to work my way up, but it is a slow process. My mom pressures me to go, because she lives in this bubble that law is the key that opens so many doors. Whether that was the case 20-30 years ago, I doubt it is now. When I was a kid, law seemed like an amazing profession, it is an esteemed degree, the pay was glorious and with a law degree the perception is that you can do anything and work for your self etc...

However, now I hear of the struggles a lot of graduates face across all borders and it scares me. I love being financially stable. I love having money in the bank that makes me feel safe, in case things go wrong. The debt of 100k scares me as well as the apparent low job prospects. Therefore, I wasn't going to quit my job to go to a Columiba, Harvard or Yale, it didn't seem worth it. I wanted to play it as safe as possible.

However, I have a stable job, which I love, but it doesn't pay me enough to be able to pay rent and save. It will take some time to make big money. My mother is feeding me that if I become lawyer things will be better!!

I think you should take some more time to research careers you're interested in/the state of the legal market, and hiring in particular, and whether or not this decision is really best for you right now. I think you'll find that diving into colossal debt to attend Fordham Law isn't going to yield the financial stability you're looking for. How'd you do on the LSAT? If you think you could do better, I also recommend redoing that. If you think you couldn't do better, I recommend changing up your study methods and figuring out a way to do better.

Postby 071816 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:10 pm

same

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Wed May 13, 2015 12:16 pm

PourMeTea wrote:it like, really isn't "playing it safe" to attend fordham

It isn't but it is to appease my mother. As stupid as it sounds, and I know it sounds stupid...believe me.

Isn't Fordham a great school, especially in nyc?

bretby

Postby bretby » Wed May 13, 2015 12:17 pm

Chowfun wrote:

Are you counting on Fordham giving you a big scholarship then?

PourMeTea

Postby PourMeTea » Wed May 13, 2015 12:19 pm

Chowfun wrote:

It isn't but it is to appease my mother. As stupid as it sounds, and I know it sounds stupid...believe me.

i can't say that without knowing more about what you want to do and how much of a scholarship you'd have, but take a look at LST if you haven't already: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/fordham/2014/

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed May 13, 2015 12:19 pm

Chowfun wrote:

Define great... http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/fordham/2014/

ETA: scooped.

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed May 13, 2015 12:20 pm

Chowfun wrote:

it's pretty decent, but great? absolutely not. in NYC only cls and nyu can be classified thus

ETA superscooped, but either way, you obviously shouldn't spend 3 yrs and a fuckton of money to appease your mother on this point.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”