Worth visiting wait list schools?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
letoile

Worth visiting wait list schools?

Postby letoile » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:21 pm

I am on the West Coast, currently wait listed by top East Coast law schools where I am (somewhat) below both medians. Would it be wise to visit these schools to demonstrate interest & increase chances of admission? I have the time and resources.

FirmBiz

Re: Worth visiting wait list schools?

Postby FirmBiz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:47 pm

letoile wrote:I am on the West Coast, currently wait listed by top East Coast law schools where I am (somewhat) below both medians. Would it be wise to visit these schools to demonstrate interest & increase chances of admission? I have the time and resources.

It certainly couldn't hurt, but I would think a LOCI should be enough, even though you may be able to afford it, you're going out of your way to travel across the country for the school to tell you the same thing u have heard at other schools "our employment is high/improving, we have great teachers who are there to help our students" etc etc. You're not going to gain any extra information that you don't already have access to, these schools could easily reject you at the snap of a finger, with or without you making the effort to travel.

I would just send another LOCI, or maybe ask their admissions office a question, even if you already know the answer, just so that they know that you are still interested.

I'm in the same position, 2 out of state waitlisted schools, I'm not going to go out of my way to show them anything outside of a LOCI, if they want me, then take me and cut the mating dance.

fisheatbananas

Postby fisheatbananas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:08 pm

FirmBiz wrote:
letoile wrote:I am on the West Coast, currently wait listed by top East Coast law schools where I am (somewhat) below both medians. Would it be wise to visit these schools to demonstrate interest & increase chances of admission? I have the time and resources.

It certainly couldn't hurt, but I would think a LOCI should be enough, even though you may be able to afford it, you're going out of your way to travel across the country for the school to tell you the same thing u have heard at other schools "our employment is high/improving, we have great teachers who are there to help our students" etc etc. You're not going to gain any extra information that you don't already have access to, these schools could easily reject you at the snap of a finger, with or without you making the effort to travel.

I would just send another LOCI, or maybe ask their admissions office a question, even if you already know the answer, just so that they know that you are still interested.

I'm in the same position, 2 out of state waitlisted schools, I'm not going to go out of my way to show them anything outside of a LOCI, if they want me, then take me and cut the mating dance.

Agree except just wanted to make it clear, don't ask a question if the answer is obvious from the school's website. It couldn't hurt to visit but it's not worth it unless you're vacationing on the east coast and decide to take an afternoon to visit that school. But going out of your way specifically for the purpose of visiting isn't worth it I think

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:14 pm

No.

This is potentially you:
http://abovethelaw.com/2015/04/this-is- ... tlist-bro/

Even if you could get in, you're not getting any money from these schools - so unless you're alluding to Harvard (and iffy even then), pushing for getting off the waitlist at this point is not ideal.

haus

Postby haus » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:15 pm

While I do not fully share Zach's view, it does raise a point worth mentioning. Most schools are likely expecting those coming off of the waitlist to pay full freight, and given the market conditions, at most schools this is a dubious option.

This being said, I suspect that if your heart is set on trying to break out of the waitlist, this could be an option worth considering. You might want to drop in at the Spivy thread and see if those on the other side of the equation have any thoughts on the matter.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=197451

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”