St. John's or Maryland

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shoregirl

St. John's or Maryland

Postby shoregirl » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi guys! So I am a Maryland resident with a lot of family in NY so I am currently stuck deciding between SJ and UMD. SJ offered me a full tuition scholarship so I would just have to pay for housing. Maryland offered me only a couple thousand so it would be about 23 thousand a year plus housing. COL is cheaper in Baltimore (not by much) and MD is ranked in the high 40's (48 I believe) while SJ's is ranked 82. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few more schools but these two look like my best options right now. I honestly don't know if I'd rather live in NY or MD after law school so this is an obvious issue. I'm currently trying to get more money from MD so we will see how that goes. Any and all advice welcome!

Capitol_Idea

Re: St. John's or Maryland

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:02 pm

People who care more are going to be asking you to provide a lot more info, but in the meanwhile let's make this a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure:

1. If you'd like to practice in a Big Law Firm, or get a federal clerkship, or practice any kind of law outside of MD or NY, go to 2. Otherwise, go to 3.

2. RESULT: Re-take LSAT, sit out a cycle and re-apply. Blanket schools in the area you want to apply to and some top 14 schools if your GPA/LSAT scores are high enough. Negotiate for money. Take a full scholly at a good regional school or decent money at a t14 school.

3. OK, so you want to practice something reasonable that a regional firm could provide. If you want to practice in NY, go to 4. If you want to practice in MD, go to 5.

4. RESULT: Re-take LSAT, sit out a cycle and re-apply. But if for some reason you really, really don't want to do this, full scholly at St. John's isn't the end of the world. You'll have minimal debt so you can take any law job and be fine. But if you want decent choices about where to work and something with actual regional appeal, a law school in the middle of Queens ain't it. A state school outside of NYC will do you better for non-NYC, and for NYC you'll need to go to a better school.

5. RESULT: Re-take LSAT, sit out a cycle and re-apply. But if for some reason you really, really don't want to do this, don't go to UMD. It's not a particularly great school, and they're not offering you much money. MAYBE if you were offered a full scholly. It might be OK for smaller law in Baltimore, but get a damn scholarship first.

6. There is no 6. Re-take the LSAT, sit out a cycle and re-apply.

WichitaShocker

Re: St. John's or Maryland

Postby WichitaShocker » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:24 am

zacharus85 wrote:People who care more are going to be asking you to provide a lot more info, but in the meanwhile let's make this a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure:

1. If you'd like to practice in a Big Law Firm, or get a federal clerkship, or practice any kind of law outside of MD or NY, go to 2. Otherwise, go to 3.

2. RESULT: Re-take LSAT, sit out a cycle and re-apply. Blanket schools in the area you want to apply to and some top 14 schools if your GPA/LSAT scores are high enough. Negotiate for money. Take a full scholly at a good regional school or decent money at a t14 school.

3. OK, so you want to practice something reasonable that a regional firm could provide. If you want to practice in NY, go to 4. If you want to practice in MD, go to 5.

4. RESULT: Re-take LSAT, sit out a cycle and re-apply. But if for some reason you really, really don't want to do this, full scholly at St. John's isn't the end of the world. You'll have minimal debt so you can take any law job and be fine. But if you want decent choices about where to work and something with actual regional appeal, a law school in the middle of Queens ain't it. A state school outside of NYC will do you better for non-NYC, and for NYC you'll need to go to a better school.

5. RESULT: Re-take LSAT, sit out a cycle and re-apply. But if for some reason you really, really don't want to do this, don't go to UMD. It's not a particularly great school, and they're not offering you much money. MAYBE if you were offered a full scholly. It might be OK for smaller law in Baltimore, but get a damn scholarship first.

6. There is no 6. Re-take the LSAT, sit out a cycle and re-apply.

I hate myself for following this all the way until the end... It is TCR though, Maryland on a full scholarship is not indefensible, but you will almost certainly need to retake for that to be an option.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”