Seat Depoist, and Waitlist Schools

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
syh0912029

Seat Depoist, and Waitlist Schools

Postby syh0912029 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:24 am

Hi, Guys.

I have recently accepted from X school, but at the same time I am on waitlist at Y and Z schools.

X school requires to pay the seat deposit.

I talked to LSAc, and found out that those of my waitlist Y and Z schools will eventually find out which school I put a seat deposit.

1) Is it going to hurt my chances of getting off the waitlist if I pay the seat deposit to the school that I get accepted?

I will write LOCI (Letter of Continue Interest) to waitlist schools, and will indicate that I consider those schools to be my top choice. I just think that it is not logical? or persuading for me to say I want you to be my top choice but at the same time I pay the seat deposit to save my spot?

I am just really confused, and streesed.

2) Also, Is X school where I get admitted going to notify or to find out the content of my LOCI to those waitlist schools?

I am just trying to find the right pathway.

All the advices will greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Seat Depoist, and Waitlist Schools

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:38 am

A school that hasn't admitted you can't hold it against you that you paid a seat deposit at another school, no. They're not going to expect that you turn down any chance to go to law school if you can't go to their school. So no, it won't hurt your chance at getting off the waitlist. (The issue - to the extent there is one - is depositing at more than one school where you've been accepted already.)

And no, other schools won't see the contents of your LOCI to the school where you're waitlisted.

Lightworks

Postby Lightworks » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:38 am

Nothing at all wrong with depositing at X while you wait. Schools don't expect you to not deposit anywhere and simply take your chances with the waitlist. That would be crazy.

pkraft1

Postby pkraft1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:06 am

What exactly did the LSAC say that indicated that a waitlisting school you is informed that you have deposited at another school? That's clearly info that should not be shared--it creates a high risk, high reward incentive for applicants. That would be such a horrible policy that I have trouble believing it would exist.

Edit: I just called.

According to Beth from the LSAC, there is a report that any school at all has access to, regardless of whether you are waitlisted at the school, have seat-deposited there, or even if you have no status at the school, which tells the school if you are indicated as matriculating at any school. Seat deposits are considered matriculation; therefore, it must be there case that, if the goal is solely to get off the waitlist at school Y, it is best not to deposit anywhere.

This sounds crazy to me. There is a level of information sharing that my naive mind did not expect.
Last edited by pkraft1 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:10 am

I may be misunderstanding this, but I think that after May 15 schools can see where their applicants have deposited - the point is for schools to identify if you have deposited at their school and at another school (when both have accepted you - which they don't like you to do, because you can't go to both so it means their stats are messed up until you withdraw from one). I don't know that schools ever look to see where the people they've waitlisted have deposited, because really, why would they care? That is, why would the simple act of depositing elsewhere when you haven't yet been accepted by the other school be what tips their opinion of your application (as opposed to all the other info they already have about you).

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:59 pm

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”