Waitlist woes

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Still waiting on response?

Yes
57%
No
2%
F them
24%
Decided to pursue my cosmetology degree
2%
fish tacos
15%

Total votes: 46

Chris Manifesto

Waitlist woes

Postby Chris Manifesto » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:33 am

Not sure if this is true for anyone else but i'm finding myself growing upset at my school of choice for their lack of response. It used to be fun- checking the status checker 4-5 times a day and hoping for a change. Now, (after 4 months) it's just turning me off to the school entirely. I'm thinking the simple peace of mind of submitting my seat deposit to my second choice school would be more gratifying than the growing angst of these waitlist woes. The seat deposit deadline is coming up soon so if I don't hear back by then, my hand would be forced.

Anyone else feel the need to wallow in self-pity? I could use the distraction.

sneezus

Re: Waitlist woes

Postby sneezus » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:23 am

bro if you're on the waitlist then you almost certainly won't hear back before the deposit deadline. usually, schools don't dip into their waitlist until people don't deposit and give up their spots.

Chris Manifesto

Postby Chris Manifesto » Mon May 04, 2015 5:46 pm

sneezus wrote:bro if you're on the waitlist then you almost certainly won't hear back before the deposit deadline. usually, schools don't dip into their waitlist until people don't deposit and give up their spots.

Is "waitlist" an actual status or is a title given when you havent recieved word back from a school in a long time? I'm pretty sure that it's an actual status but at this point, i'm unsure because my app has been "under comittee review" for 5 months with no word at all from the school. If this isn't being waitlisted then what is it? (besides being SOL)

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Mon May 04, 2015 5:48 pm

Chris Manifesto wrote:
sneezus wrote:bro if you're on the waitlist then you almost certainly won't hear back before the deposit deadline. usually, schools don't dip into their waitlist until people don't deposit and give up their spots.

Is "waitlist" an actual status or is a title given when you havent recieved word back from a school in a long time? I'm pretty sure that it's an actual status but at this point, i'm unsure because my app has been "under comittee review" for 5 months with no word at all from the school. If this isn't being waitlisted then what is it? (besides being SOL)

Chris Manifesto

Postby Chris Manifesto » Mon May 04, 2015 5:57 pm

Kinky John wrote:
Chris Manifesto wrote:

Sigh. Might have to consider becoming a male stripper, i suppose.

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Mon May 04, 2015 6:39 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed May 27, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry_Pluxen

Postby Harry_Pluxen » Mon May 04, 2015 7:11 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:At this point, I would begin making plans as if you will not get accepted to this school. If you're certain you want to go to law school, and your second choice school has a good balance between chance at a job and debt-incurred, go ahead and deposit. If either of those are not the case, then I would start looking into other options such as retaking and reapplying next year, or pursuing a career other than law. Godspeed.

ETA: You certainly could still get in, and if you do, great! But unfortunately it is not wise to count on it at this point :-/

It's only early May. Most schools have only just passed their first deposit deadline...Hardly time to give up on things.

Chris Manifesto

Postby Chris Manifesto » Mon May 04, 2015 7:31 pm

I'm in and deposited at my second choice already. It's just that my first choice is MUCH more convienient than the second but the second is still better than waiting yet another year.

FC>SC>W

:D > :) > :cry:

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Mon May 04, 2015 8:27 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed May 27, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon May 04, 2015 8:28 pm

FIU ?

FirmBiz

Postby FirmBiz » Tue May 05, 2015 12:58 am

Just tired of the games, why not deny us from the get go instead of leaving us in purgatory??

Chris Manifesto

Postby Chris Manifesto » Tue May 05, 2015 11:51 am

FirmBiz wrote:Just tired of the games, why not deny us from the get go instead of leaving us in purgatory??

yeah. I agree. And it always seems to be the first choice schools. Every other school I applied to has responded and did so in a timely fashion. I called the school and read between the lines when the rep implied they are waiting on the June LSAT results to start handing out acceptance/denial letters for marginal apps. Seems like they are waiting to see if higher qualified students will apply or that applicants will give the LSAT another shot in order to improve the schools medians. Seems like a dirty game at the expense of the applicants :/

JGMotorsport

Postby JGMotorsport » Tue May 05, 2015 1:10 pm

Mine is very frustrating as well.

My first choice was a school in a town that I don't like all that much but have built excellent connections through a job as a Law Clerk at a high end boutique firm. (Small Firm, huge clients=best of both worlds). I applied early decision (with pretty median numbers, but working with Adjunct Professors who wrote letters would surely be enough) I've been on the wait list for 6 months and have lost interest after getting into the other higher ranked State School in the bigger metro with a scholarship, using basically the same application.

So I'm leaving and if I strike out, I can always come back.

Hikari

Postby Hikari » Tue May 05, 2015 8:18 pm

Chris Manifesto wrote:
FirmBiz wrote:Just tired of the games, why not deny us from the get go instead of leaving us in purgatory??

yeah. I agree. And it always seems to be the first choice schools. Every other school I applied to has responded and did so in a timely fashion. I called the school and read between the lines when the rep implied they are waiting on the June LSAT results to start handing out acceptance/denial letters for marginal apps. Seems like they are waiting to see if higher qualified students will apply or that applicants will give the LSAT another shot in order to improve the schools medians. Seems like a dirty game at the expense of the applicants :/

Wut? What school is waiting for the June lsat score to ding people?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue May 05, 2015 10:06 pm

I gotta be honest, you guys are acting like entitled brats. You don't have a right to go to your top choice school, or any school for that matter. If you want to get in, do your part and retake till you have the numbers to earn your seat, otherwise wait for the school to make a decision and deal with the results. They aren't toying with you, and they aren't waiting at your expense, they're trying to maximize their options just like you are.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”