Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Stage are you at?

No JS1
41%
Pre-Waitlist JS1
20%
Post-Waitlist JS1
10%
Pre-Waitlist JS1 and Rejection
No votes
Pre-Waitlist JS1 and JS1b
1%
Pre-Waitlist JS1 and JS2
12%
Rejection
2%
Post Waitlist JS1 Rejection
1%
Post Waitlist JS1 and JS2
13%

Total votes: 138

MajinBuu

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby MajinBuu » Tue May 19, 2015 3:10 pm

90convoy wrote:we might have to call it a day yall...

I guess we can safely assume that today's not the day :(

Eladriel

Postby Eladriel » Tue May 19, 2015 3:22 pm

Relying on them to hold to similar dates (JS1b's on May 15) as last year was a poor assumption.

morningstar

Postby morningstar » Tue May 19, 2015 3:40 pm

I agree that the dates can't necessarily be translated from year to year. I was also hoping for some news today, but that's only because the interviewer specifically stressed that the process would "be moving fast this year". That might be what they say to everyone every year, but it certainly gave me that "not sure if i have to poop or throw up" knot in my stomach.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue May 19, 2015 3:46 pm

Maybe they'll skip JS1bs this year

Eladriel

Postby Eladriel » Tue May 19, 2015 4:16 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Maybe they'll skip JS1bs this year

Heresy.

In seriousness though, isn't the point of a JS1b to push closer to a 100% waitlist yield? A verbal taking of temperature/intent?

mimiquestionmark

Postby mimiquestionmark » Tue May 19, 2015 4:56 pm

Maybe everything is taking so long because their carefully constructed LSAT medians got crushed and they are working hard to piece the class back together? Which would mean that they aren't just picking applicants they like/think are cool people; they're having to do numbers analysis?

Spivey seems to think that schools like Harvard are going to have to dip into the waitlist big time in order to keep medians (if they can keep their medians at all): http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/coming ... -movement/

This would all bode well for those with high LSATs. I'd be interested to know if most of the post-waitlist JS1's had relatively high LSAT scores (at or above median).

morningstar

Postby morningstar » Tue May 19, 2015 5:48 pm

mimiquestionmark wrote:Maybe everything is taking so long because their carefully constructed LSAT medians got crushed and they are working hard to piece the class back together? Which would mean that they aren't just picking applicants they like/think are cool people; they're having to do numbers analysis?

Spivey seems to think that schools like Harvard are going to have to dip into the waitlist big time in order to keep medians (if they can keep their medians at all): http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/coming ... -movement/

This would all bode well for those with high LSATs. I'd be interested to know if most of the post-waitlist JS1's had relatively high LSAT scores (at or above median).

I'm 75th percentile-ish.

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:52 pm

mimiquestionmark wrote:Maybe everything is taking so long because their carefully constructed LSAT medians got crushed and they are working hard to piece the class back together? Which would mean that they aren't just picking applicants they like/think are cool people; they're having to do numbers analysis?

Wouldn't number analysis mean things would take shorter, not longer? I wouldn't be surprised if H struggles to hold LSAT medians, but I feel like that would 1) make it easier to identify high scorers to take off the waitlist; 2) put pressure on H to accept those people quickly before other schools take them.

mimiquestionmark

Postby mimiquestionmark » Tue May 19, 2015 6:29 pm

stoopkid13 wrote:

Wouldn't number analysis mean things would take shorter, not longer? I wouldn't be surprised if H struggles to hold LSAT medians, but I feel like that would 1) make it easier to identify high scorers to take off the waitlist; 2) put pressure on H to accept those people quickly before other schools take them.

That is possible...but I think that having to factor in LSAT probably takes more time. In earlier years they perhaps picked the few applicants who struck their fancy/whose applications they remembered (which could be done in minutes). They probably took into account class demographics mostly and barely even looked at scores. Now they have to keep their class demographics AND find a way to fix their LSAT median... they are probably looking at SUPER splitters...which makes them worried about maintaining their GPA medians.

This probably won't take them an extra month or anything...but maybe it will take them an extra two three days (maybe a week?). They've probably got to get moving though because like you mentioned they want to snatch up the high lsats while they can

All of this is meaningless speculation obviously...

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue May 19, 2015 6:33 pm

Highly doubt it has anything to do with medians, their class is big enough it won't matter

mimiquestionmark

Postby mimiquestionmark » Tue May 19, 2015 6:49 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Highly doubt it has anything to do with medians, their class is big enough it won't matter

How so? It seems like Harvard will have more trouble than anyone keeping their medians because their class is so big. They need more than 250 people with an LSAT of 173 or above (whereas Y/S need about 120). I'm not a statistician or anything though, so if my logic is wrong please correct me.

duck_rabbit

Postby duck_rabbit » Tue May 19, 2015 6:50 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Highly doubt it has anything to do with medians, their class is big enough it won't matter

I doubt it as well. Further evidence against the case: I'm a post-waitlist JS1 and a reverse-splitter. Maybe it's that their numbers are solid and now they have the difficult task of evaluating people on things more substantive than their score on the LSAT.

kadyevna

Postby kadyevna » Tue May 19, 2015 7:00 pm

possibly, maybe JS1bs didnt work out very well for them last year, so they decided to send us an email instead (the email we got two weeks ago regarding the waitlist process), i think that email served the same purpose as JS1bs, both are not binding but urge us to drop out if we are not committed. Plus, the email saves them a lot of trouble, for example, some people are currently not in US so they simply cannot reach them by phone. This happened last year, i saw someone quoting the story this morning.
Last edited by kadyevna on Tue May 19, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eladriel

Postby Eladriel » Tue May 19, 2015 7:38 pm

See you crazy cats tomorrow.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue May 19, 2015 7:41 pm

kadyevna wrote:

possibly, maybe JS1bs didnt work out very well for them last year, so they decided to send us an email instead (the email we got two weeks ago regarding the waitlist process), i think that email served the same purpose as JS1bs, both are not binding but urge us to drop out if we are not committed. Plus, the email saves them a lot of trouble, for example, some people are currently not in US so they simply cannot reach them by phone. This happened last year, i saw someone quoting the story this morning.

Ya that's what I was thinking and the fact that they didn't do the homework thing for post WL js1s too

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Tue May 19, 2015 7:46 pm

Eladriel wrote:

Heresy.

said the chaos space marine.

Hikari

Postby Hikari » Tue May 19, 2015 9:48 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
kadyevna wrote:

Ya that's what I was thinking and the fact that they didn't do the homework thing for post WL js1s too

This would imply, if u get a JS1, you are more likely in?

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue May 19, 2015 10:28 pm

Well I mean they just picked some of the preWL JS1s last year to get JS1bs and then JS2s, so im just saying they'll skip that step, not that they're going to accept a higher percentage or anything

Eladriel

Postby Eladriel » Tue May 19, 2015 11:56 pm

Hikari wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
kadyevna wrote:

This would imply, if u get a JS1, you are more likely in?

I think we already established, thanks to Pylon that--from the perspective of being on the waitlist--a post-WL JS1 is more likely to get in than a pre-WL JS1.

dabigchina wrote:
Eladriel wrote:

Heresy.

said the chaos space marine.

The Emperor is the true heretic.
Last edited by Eladriel on Wed May 20, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

qwertyTLS

Postby qwertyTLS » Wed May 20, 2015 12:29 am

I still think there will be some movement this week (js1bs and js2s, but I see why people are saying js1bs may no longer be necessary).

post-WL interviewees were told within two weeks, right? so I guess latest we could hear is end of next week, which isn't too bad.

Meximelt

Postby Meximelt » Wed May 20, 2015 12:33 am

qwertyTLS wrote:I still think there will be some movement this week (js1bs and js2s, but I see why people are saying js1bs may no longer be necessary).

post-WL interviewees were told within two weeks, right? so I guess latest we could hear is end of next week, which isn't too bad.

Ha I wasn't told anything about the wait list because we were already running over by the end of the interview but I hope thats true….

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Wed May 20, 2015 1:43 am

qwertyTLS wrote:I still think there will be some movement this week (js1bs and js2s, but I see why people are saying js1bs may no longer be necessary).

yeah I think well hear something thurs/fri

qwertyTLS

Postby qwertyTLS » Wed May 20, 2015 10:45 am

mimiquestionmark wrote:

How so? It seems like Harvard will have more trouble than anyone keeping their medians because their class is so big. They need more than 250 people with an LSAT of 173 or above (whereas Y/S need about 120). I'm not a statistician or anything though, so if my logic is wrong please correct me.

IF they were concerned about their medians, it would be a much easier/quicker process to fill the class. literally plug whatever desirable into their admissions spreadsheet and voila you have your WL admits. not worrying about numbers and trying to pick 'interesting/cool' people would take longer, just because of the nature of choosing. with softs, you're comparing apples to oranges. with numbers, you're comparing oranges to oranges. the reality i's somewhere in between

sorcer

Postby sorcer » Wed May 20, 2015 11:11 am

Last edited by sorcer on Thu May 28, 2015 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

MajinBuu

Postby MajinBuu » Wed May 20, 2015 11:16 am

sorcer wrote:Just got my acceptance off the waitlist 12 minutes ago!! I'm international, so I received an e-mail. Good luck to the rest of you!

Wow congrats!!!!!! Pre or post waitlist JS1?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”