Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Stage are you at?

No JS1
57
41%
Pre-Waitlist JS1
27
20%
Post-Waitlist JS1
14
10%
Pre-Waitlist JS1 and Rejection
0
No votes
Pre-Waitlist JS1 and JS1b
1
1%
Pre-Waitlist JS1 and JS2
17
12%
Rejection
3
2%
Post Waitlist JS1 Rejection
1
1%
Post Waitlist JS1 and JS2
18
13%
 
Total votes: 138

Cinderella24
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby Cinderella24 » Fri May 01, 2015 3:29 pm

They are stalking this forum and are set on making our lives miserable for next couple months.

User avatar
tonysoprano
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:22 am

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby tonysoprano » Fri May 01, 2015 4:16 pm

Cinderella24 wrote:They are stalking this forum and are set on making our lives miserable for next couple months.

Wouldn't surprise me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7_49EXuLoQ
"I’m afraid a couple of you probably are evil. That’s just the odds."

User avatar
Eladriel
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:53 pm

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby Eladriel » Fri May 01, 2015 4:22 pm

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

User avatar
tonysoprano
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:22 am

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby tonysoprano » Fri May 01, 2015 5:00 pm

Not really my style

User avatar
tonysoprano
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:22 am

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby tonysoprano » Fri May 01, 2015 5:01 pm

But that speech is actually hilarious if anyone has the time to watch

User avatar
grwfews4546
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:16 am

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby grwfews4546 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:29 am

mernburg wrote:
grwfews4546 wrote:Are there any internationals like me in this thread?


me :) where are you from?


Europe! Any thoughts on going to America with debt vs staying abroad for free/almost free?

mernburg
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby mernburg » Sat May 02, 2015 8:36 am

grwfews4546 wrote:
mernburg wrote:
grwfews4546 wrote:Are there any internationals like me in this thread?


me :) where are you from?


Europe! Any thoughts on going to America with debt vs staying abroad for free/almost free?


My situation is a little different. My family moved to the US but I don't have a passport, so I'm considered an international student even though I pretty much live here now. I know for sure that I want to work in the US so it made sense to go to law school here.

The thinker
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:43 pm

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby The thinker » Sat May 02, 2015 10:13 am

Facebook group is at 547 23 more than last year

paahhgg
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby paahhgg » Sat May 02, 2015 10:38 am

The thinker wrote:Facebook group is at 547 23 more than last year


Just fyi, the 2017 FB page ended up with 700+ people. Not to mention, while the FB page may be +23, our WL spreadsheet is -40(ish) from last year. Too much mitigating factors for either to really give any indication, though.

mernburg
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby mernburg » Sat May 02, 2015 1:53 pm

paahhgg wrote:
The thinker wrote:Facebook group is at 547 23 more than last year


Just fyi, the 2017 FB page ended up with 700+ people. Not to mention, while the FB page may be +23, our WL spreadsheet is -40(ish) from last year. Too much mitigating factors for either to really give any indication, though.


Also I'm sure that there are people who already know they're not going and haven't left the group yet. I know this because I completely forgot to leave a bunch of groups myself.

Broncos15
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:25 am

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby Broncos15 » Sat May 02, 2015 2:38 pm

Can June LSAT scores be used to get off the WL for that upcoming Fall's admissions ex. take June 2015 LSAT to get off WL for Fall '15 ? ( i know this question was asked earlier, but not addressed)

Applying next cycle but I'd imagine I will be WL'ed instead of straight admit, so I am planing out a timeline for my cycle

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat May 02, 2015 2:54 pm

Broncos15 wrote:Can June LSAT scores be used to get off the WL for that upcoming Fall's admissions ex. take June 2015 LSAT to get off WL for Fall '15 ? ( i know this question was asked earlier, but not addressed)

Applying next cycle but I'd imagine I will be WL'ed instead of straight admit, so I am planing out a timeline for my cycle


In general yes

paahhgg
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby paahhgg » Sat May 02, 2015 2:57 pm

So wait, what's the deal? There were 9 interview slots open two days ago and they disappeared yesterday? Have they reappeared? Do you think this def means they are not happening?

qwertyTLS
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:06 am

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby qwertyTLS » Sat May 02, 2015 4:28 pm

They'll happen, just probably not as soon as we thought or were hoping. My unsubstantiated guess is invitations end of this upcoming week with interviews beginning of next week.

adman921
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby adman921 » Sun May 03, 2015 7:47 pm

...or it's possible they were given out to people who are not using TLS and haven't reported them here

paahhgg
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby paahhgg » Sun May 03, 2015 8:37 pm

adman921 wrote:...or it's possible they were given out to people who are not using TLS and haven't reported them here


A. Would this make the slots go away? And so abruptly? Doubt it
B. Given the TLS sample size I highly doubt that's the case.

everton125
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:22 am

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby everton125 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:42 am

I understand the CR re: additional LORs is that they likely won't be helpful. However, I can get a recommendation from a V5 partner and graduate of Harvard Law who I have worked fairly closely with over the past two years. Is that the sort of LOR that might be worth sending? I definitely don't want to bother him if his LOR would be seriously unlikely to help at all. Just looking for some input. Thanks.

Edit: Also, is there any real value in visiting if I have not already? I only live five hours away, so doing so would not be overly burdensome.

qwertyTLS
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:06 am

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby qwertyTLS » Mon May 04, 2015 4:45 am

everton125 wrote:I understand the CR re: additional LORs is that they likely won't be helpful. However, I can get a recommendation from a V5 partner and graduate of Harvard Law who I have worked fairly closely with over the past two years. Is that the sort of LOR that might be worth sending? I definitely don't want to bother him if his LOR would be seriously unlikely to help at all. Just looking for some input. Thanks.

Edit: Also, is there any real value in visiting if I have not already? I only live five hours away, so doing so would not be overly burdensome.

from the wl message:
The fact that your application was selected for the wait list means that you are clearly a strong applicant to Harvard Law School. If, however, you believe you have any relevant, new information, which is not part of your application to date, which would strengthen your application, you are welcome to send additions to your file. Additional letters of recommendation are rarely useful at this time, however, if you have been enrolled in an academic program, you may wish to provide a final transcript to LSAC.

qwertyTLS
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:06 am

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby qwertyTLS » Mon May 04, 2015 7:36 am

comparing last cycle's wl spreadsheet to this cycle's wl spreadsheet.

WL 2014:
average lsat: 172.6
median lsat: 173
average gpa: 3.81

WL 2015:
average lsat: 170.3
median lsat: 171
average gpa: 3.80

let's get some discussion going. why the disparity? gpa is the same, but a gap of 2 points for both average and median on the lsat is pretty significant i'd say.

User avatar
Comma.Split
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:22 pm

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby Comma.Split » Mon May 04, 2015 8:47 am

qwertyTLS wrote:comparing last cycle's wl spreadsheet to this cycle's wl spreadsheet.

WL 2014:
average lsat: 172.6
median lsat: 173
average gpa: 3.81

WL 2015:
average lsat: 170.3
median lsat: 171
average gpa: 3.80

let's get some discussion going. why the disparity? gpa is the same, but a gap of 2 points for both average and median on the lsat is pretty significant i'd say.


What about GPA median? Number of observations? Are these the same as well?
Also, I think we should use the LSN data, not the spreadsheet. I know it is tedious, but it will give us a much more accurate look.

Edit: did you use the data from "fun with LSN data" or the data on TLS users?

qwertyTLS
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:06 am

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby qwertyTLS » Mon May 04, 2015 8:59 am

iirc gpa median was the same as average. also number of observations less than last year. data on tls users, as 2014 didn't have 'fun with lsn data' information.

agreed, lsn would be more accurate. but i think tls data is enough to say there's a different in the LSAt composition of this year's wl compared to last. quantifying how much that difference makes sense to look at LSN, but i didn't have the time - feel free to share if you're able

qwertyTLS
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:06 am

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby qwertyTLS » Mon May 04, 2015 9:51 am

ps what's the facebook group count at? i wonder if people have started leaving after the commitment deadline...

adman921
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby adman921 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:17 am

Assuming the numbers are representative, what do you think that says about this cycle for them? Do you think it says they have wiggle room on LSAT (i.e. they've already basically secured their numbers) and are only focused on shoring up their GPAs?

User avatar
Four Winds
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby Four Winds » Mon May 04, 2015 10:40 am

qwertyTLS wrote:ps what's the facebook group count at? i wonder if people have started leaving after the commitment deadline...


I'm seeing 539 right now.

The thinker
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:43 pm

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Postby The thinker » Mon May 04, 2015 10:48 am

Facebook: 539

I see three possible situations for the discrepancy :

1. It means nothing just a product of self report bias
2. It means those with high lsats who would have gotten waitlisted last year (splitters presumably) have been admitted this year because of dropping scores
3. It means those with high lsats who would have gotten waitlisted last year were denied because Harvard has already secured it's lsat median

1 would have no affect on the waitlist admit chances
2 seems to suggest favoring high lsats off the waitlist
3 seems to suggest favoring high gpas /non lsat factors

Moral of the story: we have no idea




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”