Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What Stage are you at?

No JS1
42%
Pre-Waitlist JS1
20%
Post-Waitlist JS1
9%
Pre-Waitlist JS1 and Rejection
No votes
Pre-Waitlist JS1 and JS1b
1%
Pre-Waitlist JS1 and JS2
11%
Rejection
2%
Post Waitlist JS1 Rejection
1%
Post Waitlist JS1 and JS2
13%

Total votes: 149

qwertyTLS

Bronze

Re: Harvard Law School c/o 2018 Waitlist

Post by qwertyTLS » Tue May 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Hikari wrote:
qwertyTLS wrote:didn't the email make it clear you would have to accept their waitlist offer before receiving financial aid information?

so:
step 1. they offer acceptance which is not officially binding
step 2. you accept or deny their offer which IS binding, and you withdraw from other school you've deposited at.
step 3. you receive financial aid information from HLS
It actually says:

By remaining active on the waitlist you agree to:

Accept an offer of admission if it is extended to you.
Withdraw your seat at any school to which you have committed if offered admission at HLS.

Reading it again it sounds like by remaining on the waitlist you are agreeing to accept. I am personally not bothered by it but wow.
Who has already withdrawn?
yeah i see what you're saying. what i was referencing was right below that in the e-mail. the first bullet point along the lines of 'you'll need to accept before receiving aid." could be misremembering - don't have the email accessible atm

qwertyTLS

Bronze

Post by qwertyTLS » Tue May 05, 2015 2:15 pm

if offered a spot at HLS, would you go? if you can't answer yes to that in 24 hours, i don't see the value or point in staying on the WL.

af0890

New

Post by af0890 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:19 pm

Last edited by af0890 on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The thinker

Bronze

Post by The thinker » Tue May 05, 2015 2:23 pm

af0890 wrote:Think it's a good idea to respond to that email with a LOCI if you haven't written one? I don't have any major life updates but I'd take the spot if offered.
TCR is no LOCI unless its an update to your application. The idea is Harvard knows everyone wants to go there and you dont need to remind them.

mernburg

New

Post by mernburg » Tue May 05, 2015 2:25 pm

So if we are planning on staying on the waitlist, we don't need to respond to that email, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

qwertyTLS

Bronze

Post by qwertyTLS » Tue May 05, 2015 2:25 pm

af0890 wrote:Think it's a good idea to respond to that email with a LOCI if you haven't written one? I don't have any major life updates but I'd take the spot if offered.
get some more opinions - but i feel like i'd be less inclined to send one now. the email basically says you 'have' to be interested/commit if you even remain on the waitlist. so saying 'i'd attend' is even less relevant than before, right?

that being said if it was me, i would probably send one in response *with some sort of update if possible (probably won't help, but probably won't hurt sort of thing)
Last edited by qwertyTLS on Tue May 05, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Tue May 05, 2015 2:26 pm

The thinker wrote:
TCR is no LOCI unless its an update to your application. The idea is Harvard knows everyone wants to go there and you dont need to remind them.
Before today I would have agreed with this 100%. But given that email they do seem much more concerned with yield than previously. While I still wouldn't send one, I think there is a lot more doubt now about the best way to proceed.

Hikari

Bronze

Post by Hikari » Tue May 05, 2015 2:39 pm

When I was waitlisted by schools I was genuinely considering but unlikely to attend if accepted, I dreaded these types of waitlist updates. I would answer vaguely or ignore them. It took me less than 5 min to acknowledge the waitlist update from the school I am dying to attend :lol:
Food for thought
Last edited by Hikari on Tue May 05, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The thinker

Bronze

Post by The thinker » Tue May 05, 2015 2:42 pm

Auxilio wrote:
The thinker wrote:
Before today I would have agreed with this 100%. But given that email they do seem much more concerned with yield than previously. While I still wouldn't send one, I think there is a lot more doubt now about the best way to proceed.
my opinion on the situation is
if you dont 100% want to go to Harvard, the email pretty much demands you withdraw
if you do 100% want to go to Harvard, nothing has changed

But as an aside I also think there is ALWAYS something you can update your application with. Even if you don't think you have an update there is probably something of note that has changed in your application thats worth sending in a LOCI

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Four Winds

Bronze

Post by Four Winds » Tue May 05, 2015 2:44 pm

The thinker wrote: my opinion on the situation is
if you dont 100% want to go to Harvard, the email pretty much demands you withdraw
if you do 100% want to go to Harvard, nothing has changed

But as an aside I also think there is ALWAYS something you can update your application with. Even if you don't think you have an update there is probably something of note that has changed in your application thats worth sending in a LOCI
I called to ask and they strongly emphasized that we should only update them with *significant* changes, whatever that means.

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Tue May 05, 2015 2:47 pm

Is the fact that Ive already deposited, received my financial aid stuff, and applied for loans sufficient for me to withdraw? I think id be selling myself short if I used only those reasons to justify withdrawing.

Hikari

Bronze

Post by Hikari » Tue May 05, 2015 2:51 pm

90convoy wrote:Is the fact that Ive already deposited, received my financial aid stuff, and applied for loans sufficient for me to withdraw? I think id be selling myself short if I used only those reasons to justify withdrawing.
Do you want Harvard or the other school?

gocowboys

New

Post by gocowboys » Tue May 05, 2015 3:14 pm

just to confirm, if you plan on staying on the waitlist there is no action required?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Tue May 05, 2015 3:33 pm

100% I'd love to go to Harvard. But what if we withdraw from our remaining schools and they ding us? I like the concept of a JS1b much better.

The thinker

Bronze

Post by The thinker » Tue May 05, 2015 3:42 pm

The message said that you have to withdraw from other schools once you've been admitted off the waitlist not in order to remain on it. In fact the blog suggests making alternative plans (one of which would be depositing at another law school)

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Tue May 05, 2015 3:47 pm

The thinker wrote:The message said that you have to withdraw from other schools once you've been admitted off the waitlist not in order to remain on it. In fact the blog suggests making alternative plans (one of which would be depositing at another law school)
Whoops, misread that one. That's fair

Hikari

Bronze

Post by Hikari » Tue May 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Atmosphere wrote:
The thinker wrote:The message said that you have to withdraw from other schools once you've been admitted off the waitlist not in order to remain on it. In fact the blog suggests making alternative plans (one of which would be depositing at another law school)
How did you miss that? Lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Tue May 05, 2015 3:56 pm

Hikari wrote:
Atmosphere wrote:
Hey leave me alone, it's finals week and i'm braindead :cry:

everton125

New

Post by everton125 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:58 pm

I am trying to assess what kind of financial aid I should expect from Harvard before deciding whether or not to withdraw from the waitlist, and I just want to make sure I understand what Harvard means by "protect 50% of the value of these assets" in the language below. Do they mean that if a student has money in a retirement account, they only expect the student to contribute 50% of the total value of that account towards paying for Harvard? So, for example, if you have $20,000 in your retirement account, then the expected student contribution would only go up by $10,000 rather than $20,000?

Personally, if I am understanding this correctly, I think this is pretty much straight BS, as I don't think they should be assessing my retirement account at all in determining my expected student contribution, particularly considering Harvard's massive endowment. If I am being charitable, I suppose they are trying to prevent people from throwing all their savings into retirement accounts in order to decrease expected student contributions, when they otherwise would not have moved that money into their retirement account at all. Regardless, I am not a fan, and not just because it screws me over a bit.

**Retirement Assets

Retirement assets (401K, 403B, IRA, Roth IRA, and any other type of retirement account) are treated somewhat differently from other assets. We ask that you report the total current value of any retirement assets regardless of their type. We do, however, protect 50% of the value of these assets in recognition of the fact that their liquidation may incur an additional tax burden and/or penalties for early withdrawal of these funds. More importantly, we strongly encourage our students to save for retirement and believe that this type of asset protection is in keeping with that philosophy.
***********************************************************************************************************
EDIT: Also, to clarify, despite Harvard avoiding outright mentioning liabilities in the below description (such as, e.g., mortgages and debt, though the former may be captured in home equity for all I know), for the purpose of calculating parental contribution, net worth is the total of all the below minus all liabilities, correct?

•your parents’ net worth (from all investments excluding savings in qualified retirement accounts, plus home equity, plus other savings, trusts, business value, and real estate equity) falls within the range typical for the HLS Grant recipient population, which is $0 to $500,000

lokikoala

Bronze

Post by lokikoala » Tue May 05, 2015 4:15 pm

Took myself off the waitlist! Good luck to you all!

RandomDude

New

Post by RandomDude » Tue May 05, 2015 4:20 pm

lokikoala wrote:Took myself off the waitlist! Good luck to you all!
Now, for research purposes, were you influenced by today's e-mail?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thequeen

New

Post by thequeen » Tue May 05, 2015 4:22 pm

Still as committed as ever. I'm glad they sent out this email though. It's not fair to them or us if people who remain on the waitlist decide to suddenly decline the offer after waiting it out.

If money is a top consideration, you can easily calculate what your expected financial aid would be.

everton125

New

Post by everton125 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:23 pm

thequeen wrote:Still as committed as ever. I'm glad they sent out this email though. It's not fair to them or us if people who remain on the waitlist decide to suddenly decline the offer after waiting it out.

If money is a top consideration, you can easily calculate what your expected financial aid would be.
I don't know if it is actually that easy, unless you can point me to a calculator that determines the expected parental contribution, and you can answer my above questions.

I am also happy to pm my personal financial information (i.e., my savings, my parents income, and my parents net worth) to anyone if they are interested in accurately calculating my financial aid, and potentially removing me from the waitlist.
Last edited by everton125 on Tue May 05, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hikari

Bronze

Post by Hikari » Tue May 05, 2015 4:34 pm

Atmosphere wrote:
Hikari wrote:
Atmosphere wrote:
Hey leave me alone, it's finals week and i'm braindead :cry:
I hope you get to enjoy your summer before law school. I could not imagine not taking time off before law school.

Hikari

Bronze

Post by Hikari » Tue May 05, 2015 4:36 pm

everton125 wrote:
thequeen wrote:Still as committed as ever. I'm glad they sent out this email though. It's not fair to them or us if people who remain on the waitlist decide to suddenly decline the offer after waiting it out.

I don't know if it is actually that easy, unless you can point me to a calculator that determines the expected parental contribution and can answer my above questions.

I am also happy to pm my personal financial information (i.e., my savings, my parents income, and my parents net worth) to anyone if they are interested in accurately calculating my financial aid, and potentially removing me from the waitlist.
Why don't you call the financial aid office to find out more?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”