I need some help deciding....

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where should I go

Loyola
43%
Chapman
5%
American
No votes
Penn State
14%
NorthEastern
5%
Pepperdine
33%

Total votes: 21

miamiri

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby miamiri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:37 pm

DiniMae wrote:Spivey gave good advice on his last podcast on rankings. He said if you're not going to a top tier law school you should consider location (in relation to post-grad work), debt/cost, and bar passage rate for the state you want to practice in. He said many people don't get hired until they pass the bar at lower tiered schools. HTH

Thank You! That's great advice. You are an amazing person. I have noticed.

Sirius Blackstone

Postby Sirius Blackstone » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:43 pm

miamiri wrote:
DiniMae wrote:Spivey gave good advice on his last podcast on rankings. He said if you're not going to a top tier law school you should consider location (in relation to post-grad work), debt/cost, and bar passage rate for the state you want to practice in. He said many people don't get hired until they pass the bar at lower tiered schools. HTH

Thank You! That's great advice. You are an amazing person. I have noticed.

This is completely consistent with the advice typically given to people on this forum, and is in fact consistent with the advice given to the OP in this very thread.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:44 pm

miamiri wrote:Well I happen to think that 22k per year is not a high price to pay

miamiri wrote:I had good experiences meeting the profs and alumni and i also know the alumni network is strong.

Both of these things are problematic but I'm going to let someone else tackle them.

These is getting sidetracked but to bring it back around to the OP- I think anyone considering schools of this ilk need to really, really parse through employment statistics before signing on. If you're good with the expected outcome and can put aside all notions of your own specialness compared to your peers and you are ok with the financial ramifications, then go for it I guess.

lawschool1741

Postby lawschool1741 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:50 pm

miamiri wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
miamiri wrote:You guys are not incredibly welcoming...

Meh.

I mean, TLS does come down pretty hard on people and is prone to pile ons if people say dumb stuff. Maybe it should be a little more forgiving there. But I kind of chalk that up to it being the internet.

I do think that for the most part, TLS is just very blunt and straightforward and if a poster is cool then TLS will shoot coolness right back at them. I think a lot of what is perceived as rudeness or whatever is just TLS not telling people what they want to hear and delivering it in kind of a cooly (Cooley?) rational manner. If you want someone to cosign a dumb decision like attending Santa Clara with very little scholarship money, go talk to your uncle or something. They'll pat you on the head/back and tell you how smart and successful you are. If you want brutally honest advice that's particularly focused on risk (which I think is important when making such a monumental and often expensive decision as which law school to attend or whether to attend at all) then talk to TLS. There's nothing avuncular about it but it's a tremendous community with tremendous advice and support to give.

Just my opinion. I applied to schools like Hastings and Santa Clara before I found TLS so I'm probably especially attuned to the plight of people considering law school in Northern CA.

you are correct. i do not want to hear i am obstinate and lazy especially if you cannot back up this assertion. How do you come up with the assumption that there would be very little scholarship money? The spelling is 'cooly' so you were correct with your instinct on that one.
Well I happen to think that 22k per year is not a high price to pay and it does make me consider Santa Clara especially since I had good experiences meeting the profs and alumni and i also know the alumni network is strong. Again, I have not decided yet. Thanks again for your invaluable advice on this.

He was making a joke about Cooley, an often-hated-on TTTT.

Not arguing one way or the other, as it seems you have your mind made up, but be sure to add in opportunity cost when thinking about total investment (ie could be making $50k during those years, so a $216K 'price')

miamiri

Postby miamiri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:00 pm

lawschool1741 wrote:
miamiri wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
miamiri wrote:You guys are not incredibly welcoming...

Meh.

I mean, TLS does come down pretty hard on people and is prone to pile ons if people say dumb stuff. Maybe it should be a little more forgiving there. But I kind of chalk that up to it being the internet.

I do think that for the most part, TLS is just very blunt and straightforward and if a poster is cool then TLS will shoot coolness right back at them. I think a lot of what is perceived as rudeness or whatever is just TLS not telling people what they want to hear and delivering it in kind of a cooly (Cooley?) rational manner. If you want someone to cosign a dumb decision like attending Santa Clara with very little scholarship money, go talk to your uncle or something. They'll pat you on the head/back and tell you how smart and successful you are. If you want brutally honest advice that's particularly focused on risk (which I think is important when making such a monumental and often expensive decision as which law school to attend or whether to attend at all) then talk to TLS. There's nothing avuncular about it but it's a tremendous community with tremendous advice and support to give.

Just my opinion. I applied to schools like Hastings and Santa Clara before I found TLS so I'm probably especially attuned to the plight of people considering law school in Northern CA.

you are correct. i do not want to hear i am obstinate and lazy especially if you cannot back up this assertion. How do you come up with the assumption that there would be very little scholarship money? The spelling is 'cooly' so you were correct with your instinct on that one.
Well I happen to think that 22k per year is not a high price to pay and it does make me consider Santa Clara especially since I had good experiences meeting the profs and alumni and i also know the alumni network is strong. Again, I have not decided yet. Thanks again for your invaluable advice on this.

He was making a joke about Cooley, an often-hated-on TTTT.

Not arguing one way or the other, as it seems you have your mind made up, but be sure to add in opportunity cost when thinking about total investment (ie could be making $50k during those years, so a $216K 'price')

got it. thanks. my mind is not made up. thanks for explaining the cooley thing..

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”