I need some help deciding....

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where should I go

Loyola
9
43%
Chapman
1
5%
American
0
No votes
Penn State
3
14%
NorthEastern
1
5%
Pepperdine
7
33%
 
Total votes: 21

User avatar
hairbear7
Posts: 517
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby hairbear7 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:11 pm

lefty bengal wrote: I don't want to retake the LSAT



lefty bengal wrote: Don't call me lazy

miamiri
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby miamiri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:14 pm

my advice because i am in similar boat. I might re-take but I also think that attending a school like Loyola or in my case Santa Clara could be great. IF you are able to do really well and IF you pay less than half tuition. The schools are not bad at teaching you the material nor do they have subpar professors. They just take on too many students who will fail and they could tell and not admit them if they wanted to but then they will not make enough money.
If you are really driven and build relationships w professors and network and work really hard I do think it can work out. Talk to the professors and alumni (recent) and ask them about their experience and then be honest with yourself and evaluate if you will be able to do what it takes.
Even with a 158 LSAT you should be good if you put in the work. I know I will prob get crucified in a minute here but that is just my humble one cent, not the gospel.

Hope everything will turn out great! And do not think it is personal when people are mean. This forum is an outlet during a stressful time for everyone and not everyone can be graceful, so don't sweat it, just keep moving. Welcome to the world of TLS. It is great and not so great at the same time, just like the real world haha

User avatar
BasilHallward
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby BasilHallward » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:16 pm

lefty bengal wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:id pick loyola. based on your writing you seem very immature so should consider taking some time off. dont take this as a knock. you'll get more mature. id just think about how much you want this versus how much you just want to get away from home without worrying about how you'll support yourself. if you were still lazy when you took the LSAT this is an issue you should address before going.


Also, I scored 167 on the LSAT. Don't call me lazy.



Classic.

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2621
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:18 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:18 pm

miamiri wrote:my advice because i am in similar boat. I might re-take but I also think that attending a school like Loyola or in my case Santa Clara could be great. IF you are able to do really well and IF you pay less than half tuition. The schools are not bad at teaching you the material nor do they have subpar professors. They just take on too many students who will fail and they could tell and not admit them if they wanted to but then they will not make enough money.
If you are really driven and build relationships w professors and network and work really hard I do think it can work out. Talk to the professors and alumni (recent) and ask them about their experience and then be honest with yourself and evaluate if you will be able to do what it takes.
Even with a 158 LSAT you should be good if you put in the work. I know I will prob get crucified in a minute here but that is just my humble one cent, not the gospel.

Hope everything will turn out great! And do not think it is personal when people are mean. This forum is an outlet during a stressful time for everyone and not everyone can be graceful, so don't sweat it, just keep moving. Welcome to the world of TLS. It is great and not so great at the same time, just like the real world haha


Both you and the OP should take at least a cycle off to acquire maturity before attending law school. Not saying that to be mean, I just think that's the best possible advice for you. You don't understand what law school is, what these schools get you, or the implications of attending. You're not ready.

miamiri
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby miamiri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:19 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:id pick loyola. based on your writing you seem very immature so should consider taking some time off. dont take this as a knock. you'll get more mature. id just think about how much you want this versus how much you just want to get away from home without worrying about how you'll support yourself. if you were still lazy when you took the LSAT this is an issue you should address before going.


based on your writing you sound like the most fun to be around! I have high hopes for you...when you grow up.

miamiri
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby miamiri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:20 pm

BigZuck wrote:
miamiri wrote:my advice because i am in similar boat. I might re-take but I also think that attending a school like Loyola or in my case Santa Clara could be great. IF you are able to do really well and IF you pay less than half tuition. The schools are not bad at teaching you the material nor do they have subpar professors. They just take on too many students who will fail and they could tell and not admit them if they wanted to but then they will not make enough money.
If you are really driven and build relationships w professors and network and work really hard I do think it can work out. Talk to the professors and alumni (recent) and ask them about their experience and then be honest with yourself and evaluate if you will be able to do what it takes.
Even with a 158 LSAT you should be good if you put in the work. I know I will prob get crucified in a minute here but that is just my humble one cent, not the gospel.

Hope everything will turn out great! And do not think it is personal when people are mean. This forum is an outlet during a stressful time for everyone and not everyone can be graceful, so don't sweat it, just keep moving. Welcome to the world of TLS. It is great and not so great at the same time, just like the real world haha


Both you and the OP should take at least a cycle off to acquire maturity before attending law school. Not saying that to be mean, I just think that's the best possible advice for you. You don't understand what law school is, what these schools get you, or the implications of attending. You're not ready.


you are a 3L or graduated already? where did you attend law school?

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:24 pm

miamiri wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
miamiri wrote:my advice because i am in similar boat. I might re-take but I also think that attending a school like Loyola or in my case Santa Clara could be great. IF you are able to do really well and IF you pay less than half tuition. The schools are not bad at teaching you the material nor do they have subpar professors. They just take on too many students who will fail and they could tell and not admit them if they wanted to but then they will not make enough money.
If you are really driven and build relationships w professors and network and work really hard I do think it can work out. Talk to the professors and alumni (recent) and ask them about their experience and then be honest with yourself and evaluate if you will be able to do what it takes.
Even with a 158 LSAT you should be good if you put in the work. I know I will prob get crucified in a minute here but that is just my humble one cent, not the gospel.

Hope everything will turn out great! And do not think it is personal when people are mean. This forum is an outlet during a stressful time for everyone and not everyone can be graceful, so don't sweat it, just keep moving. Welcome to the world of TLS. It is great and not so great at the same time, just like the real world haha


Both you and the OP should take at least a cycle off to acquire maturity before attending law school. Not saying that to be mean, I just think that's the best possible advice for you. You don't understand what law school is, what these schools get you, or the implications of attending. You're not ready.


you are a 3L or graduated already? where did you attend law school?

2L at Texas

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:26 pm

Thomas Jefferson appears like an excellent option for you

miamiri
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby miamiri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:29 pm

BigZuck wrote:
miamiri wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
miamiri wrote:my advice because i am in similar boat. I might re-take but I also think that attending a school like Loyola or in my case Santa Clara could be great. IF you are able to do really well and IF you pay less than half tuition. The schools are not bad at teaching you the material nor do they have subpar professors. They just take on too many students who will fail and they could tell and not admit them if they wanted to but then they will not make enough money.
If you are really driven and build relationships w professors and network and work really hard I do think it can work out. Talk to the professors and alumni (recent) and ask them about their experience and then be honest with yourself and evaluate if you will be able to do what it takes.
Even with a 158 LSAT you should be good if you put in the work. I know I will prob get crucified in a minute here but that is just my humble one cent, not the gospel.

Hope everything will turn out great! And do not think it is personal when people are mean. This forum is an outlet during a stressful time for everyone and not everyone can be graceful, so don't sweat it, just keep moving. Welcome to the world of TLS. It is great and not so great at the same time, just like the real world haha


Both you and the OP should take at least a cycle off to acquire maturity before attending law school. Not saying that to be mean, I just think that's the best possible advice for you. You don't understand what law school is, what these schools get you, or the implications of attending. You're not ready.


you are a 3L or graduated already? where did you attend law school?

2L at Texas


thats impressive. thanks for the advice. i do think you do not have all the facts needed to draw a conclusion about my maturity. and I know it is possible to do well at a school like Loyola or Santa Clara or Hastings. A bigger gamble? sure! but not everyone is able to get into a school like the one you are attending. Mrs Harris, our attorney general went to hastings. wonder what she would say. T14 or bust? Hardly in every case.

zfletch74
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby zfletch74 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:29 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Thomas Jefferson appears like an excellent option for you


San Diego is beautiful this time of year.

miamiri
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby miamiri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:36 pm

zfletch74 wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Thomas Jefferson appears like an excellent option for you


San Diego is beautiful this time of year.

i'd say florida coastal or bust. that is my final word of advice.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:51 pm

miamiri wrote:thats impressive.

It's not really.

I think the fact that you would roll with a 3.9/150s score without even giving an LSAT retake the old college try says a lot about your maturity. It's a free roll that could make your life so much better and yet you insist on being obstinate and lazy. That's immaturity to me.

Saying these types of things is also concerning to me:
miamiri wrote:You are screwed unless you attend HY or S, you did not know that?? ;-)

miamiri wrote:it is possible to do well at a school like Loyola or Santa Clara or Hastings.

miamiri wrote:Mrs Harris, our attorney general went to hastings.

miamiri wrote:T14 or bust? Hardly in every case.


I mean, I guess I could chalk that all up as extremely poor reading comprehension or logical reasoning skills. But I'm choosing to believe that's just more obstinance. I'd rather believe that you're just immature, not that you're dumb. Immaturity can be fixed.

miamiri
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby miamiri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:04 pm

BigZuck wrote:
miamiri wrote:thats impressive.

It's not really.

I think the fact that you would roll with a 3.9/150s score without even giving an LSAT retake the old college try says a lot about your maturity. It's a free roll that could make your life so much better and yet you insist on being obstinate and lazy. That's immaturity to me.

Saying these types of things is also concerning to me:
miamiri wrote:You are screwed unless you attend HY or S, you did not know that?? ;-)

miamiri wrote:it is possible to do well at a school like Loyola or Santa Clara or Hastings.

miamiri wrote:Mrs Harris, our attorney general went to hastings.

miamiri wrote:T14 or bust? Hardly in every case.


I mean, I guess I could chalk that all up as extremely poor reading comprehension or logical reasoning skills. But I'm choosing to believe that's just more obstinance. I'd rather believe that you're just immature, not that you're dumb. Immaturity can be fixed.


where did you get those numbers? work on your research skills which you will need as an attorney and please leave me alone. You are so rude and condescending and you are not even making sense. Proof is required when you make claims. Back them up next time. But please spare me the banter. I actually have things to get done. Was just trying to help someone out who is new here. You guys are not incredibly welcoming...

User avatar
whitespider
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:37 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby whitespider » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:10 pm

miamiri wrote:where did you get those numbers?


Err... He looked through your post history and found it.

miamiri wrote:hi there,
if anyone could help out i would love it.

i have a 157, first take and a 3.96 gpa.

User avatar
NoBladesNoBows
Posts: 1118
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:12 pm

.
Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hairbear7
Posts: 517
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby hairbear7 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:13 pm

miamiri wrote:I might re-take


:D

User avatar
Auxilio
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby Auxilio » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:14 pm

miamiri wrote:
thats impressive. thanks for the advice. i do think you do not have all the facts needed to draw a conclusion about my maturity. and I know it is possible to do well at a school like Loyola or Santa Clara or Hastings. A bigger gamble? sure! but not everyone is able to get into a school like the one you are attending. Mrs Harris, our attorney general went to hastings. wonder what she would say. T14 or bust? Hardly in every case.



It is important to remember in this type of discussion that Hastings USED to be one of the best schools in the country, but has seen continual drops since the mid 90s. As a result it is easy to point to lots of very successful alumni in California, despite it being unrepresentative of current grads. Just something to consider when you quote stuff like that.

Having said that, you guys are not even attending Hastings, but going lower employment wise.

miamiri
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby miamiri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:16 pm

whitespider wrote:
miamiri wrote:where did you get those numbers?


Err... He looked through your post history and found it.

miamiri wrote:hi there,
if anyone could help out i would love it.

i have a 157, first take and a 3.96 gpa.


yes. correct numbers. and he can't read i guess. or numbers are a bit hard...or 150 is the same as 157 in your world. not in mine.

miamiri
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby miamiri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:18 pm

Auxilio wrote:
miamiri wrote:
thats impressive. thanks for the advice. i do think you do not have all the facts needed to draw a conclusion about my maturity. and I know it is possible to do well at a school like Loyola or Santa Clara or Hastings. A bigger gamble? sure! but not everyone is able to get into a school like the one you are attending. Mrs Harris, our attorney general went to hastings. wonder what she would say. T14 or bust? Hardly in every case.



It is important to remember in this type of discussion that Hastings USED to be one of the best schools in the country, but has seen continual drops since the mid 90s. As a result it is easy to point to lots of very successful alumni in California, despite it being unrepresentative of current grads. Just something to consider when you quote stuff like that.

Having said that, you guys are not even attending Hastings, but going lower employment wise.


that is a very good point and something I considered already which is one of the many reasons why I am prob going to re-take. Santa Clara's employment statistic is not much worse, at least i think similar enough to put Hastings and Santa Clara in the same 'drawer'

User avatar
universityof
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby universityof » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:19 pm

miamiri wrote:
whitespider wrote:
miamiri wrote:where did you get those numbers?


Err... He looked through your post history and found it.

miamiri wrote:hi there,
if anyone could help out i would love it.

i have a 157, first take and a 3.96 gpa.


yes. correct numbers. and he can't read i guess. or numbers are a bit hard...or 150 is the same as 157 in your world. not in mine.


In which worlds is 157 not 150s, which is what he actually said?

miamiri
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby miamiri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:21 pm

universityof wrote:
miamiri wrote:
whitespider wrote:
miamiri wrote:where did you get those numbers?


Err... He looked through your post history and found it.

miamiri wrote:hi there,
if anyone could help out i would love it.

i have a 157, first take and a 3.96 gpa.


yes. correct numbers. and he can't read i guess. or numbers are a bit hard...or 150 is the same as 157 in your world. not in mine.


In which worlds is 157 not 150s, which is what he actually said?


thanks for pointing out. true. my mistake. i was so upset i read too fast. someone needs to move this thread to 'choosing a law school'

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:27 pm

miamiri wrote:You guys are not incredibly welcoming...

Meh.

I mean, TLS does come down pretty hard on people and is prone to pile ons if people say dumb stuff. Maybe it should be a little more forgiving there. But I kind of chalk that up to it being the internet.

I do think that for the most part, TLS is just very blunt and straightforward and if a poster is cool then TLS will shoot coolness right back at them. I think a lot of what is perceived as rudeness or whatever is just TLS not telling people what they want to hear and delivering it in kind of a cooly (Cooley?) rational manner. If you want someone to cosign a dumb decision like attending Santa Clara with very little scholarship money, go talk to your uncle or something. They'll pat you on the head/back and tell you how smart and successful you are. If you want brutally honest advice that's particularly focused on risk (which I think is important when making such a monumental and often expensive decision as which law school to attend or whether to attend at all) then talk to TLS. There's nothing avuncular about it but it's a tremendous community with tremendous advice and support to give.

Just my opinion. I applied to schools like Hastings and Santa Clara before I found TLS so I'm probably especially attuned to the plight of people considering law school in Northern CA.

User avatar
DiniMae
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby DiniMae » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:28 pm

Spivey gave good advice on his last podcast on rankings. He said if you're not going to a top tier law school you should consider location (in relation to post-grad work), debt/cost, and bar passage rate for the state you want to practice in. He said many people don't get hired until they pass the bar at lower tiered schools. HTH

miamiri
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby miamiri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:35 pm

BigZuck wrote:
miamiri wrote:You guys are not incredibly welcoming...

Meh.

I mean, TLS does come down pretty hard on people and is prone to pile ons if people say dumb stuff. Maybe it should be a little more forgiving there. But I kind of chalk that up to it being the internet.

I do think that for the most part, TLS is just very blunt and straightforward and if a poster is cool then TLS will shoot coolness right back at them. I think a lot of what is perceived as rudeness or whatever is just TLS not telling people what they want to hear and delivering it in kind of a cooly (Cooley?) rational manner. If you want someone to cosign a dumb decision like attending Santa Clara with very little scholarship money, go talk to your uncle or something. They'll pat you on the head/back and tell you how smart and successful you are. If you want brutally honest advice that's particularly focused on risk (which I think is important when making such a monumental and often expensive decision as which law school to attend or whether to attend at all) then talk to TLS. There's nothing avuncular about it but it's a tremendous community with tremendous advice and support to give.

Just my opinion. I applied to schools like Hastings and Santa Clara before I found TLS so I'm probably especially attuned to the plight of people considering law school in Northern CA.


you are correct. i do not want to hear i am obstinate and lazy especially if you cannot back up this assertion. How do you come up with the assumption that there would be very little scholarship money? The spelling is 'cooly' so you were correct with your instinct on that one.
Well I happen to think that 22k per year is not a high price to pay and it does make me consider Santa Clara especially since I had good experiences meeting the profs and alumni and i also know the alumni network is strong. Again, I have not decided yet. Thanks again for your invaluable advice on this.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests