I need some help deciding....

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where should I go

Loyola
9
43%
Chapman
1
5%
American
0
No votes
Penn State
3
14%
NorthEastern
1
5%
Pepperdine
7
33%
 
Total votes: 21

lefty bengal
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:58 am

I need some help deciding....

Postby lefty bengal » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:15 pm

So far got a full ride to Loyola (LA), Chapman, American, Penn State, and NorthEastern. Pepperdine is giving me 60K. Hastings waitlisted me. Waiting to hear back from UCLA, UCI, and UTexas. I'll most likely get rejected to all three since I got waitlisted at Hastings. With that being said, any advice on where I should go.

Also keep in mind, I don't want to retake the LSAT and I definitely want to be a lawyer. Not too interested in BigLaw, we'll see what happens when it comes to where I rank after my first semester.

Help a brother out.

User avatar
RCSOB657
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby RCSOB657 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:16 pm

What area of the country do you want to live?

exitoptions
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:58 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby exitoptions » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:18 pm

Are there stipulations on any of the full rides? Can you live at home and attend any of the schools that you were awarded a full ride? Also, I second the "where would you like to work" question, as no school listed will provide much portability.

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2628
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:22 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sneezus
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby sneezus » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:23 pm

it's good that you definitely want to be a lawyer; a lot of people shell out for law school without really wanting that.

the truth though is that to have better than a coin flip's shot at becoming a lawyer, you need to retake the LSAT. even free, these schools are not worth the opportunity cost to attend.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/

look into these schools' employment numbers. you need to retake.

lefty bengal
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:58 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby lefty bengal » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:37 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:What area of the country do you want to live?



I want to live in Socal since i've been here forever. I really just applied out of state because I had a few friends doing the same thing. I would love to live in LA. Do not want to live at home (that is not an option, don't want to waste time explaining why).

And in response to SNEEZUS, I'm going to law school come Fall, regardless of how whack the employment rates are. I already have a job lined up for me as an advocate for medically appropriate healthcare for the citizens of California. The attorneys at the firm I'm working at make roughly 8k a month... given they've been working for 3+ years here. Not sure how much they made before.

Also, even though I have this job lined up does not necessarily mean I want to work here after school. I'm asking for help deciding because I am very confused. I know the unemployment rates and I know they don't look good. I know my chances of working BigLaw going to one of these schools are slim to none. That said, I'm making the decision to go to law school because I'm relying on my connects (which none are set in stone) and my intelligence to rank fairly high. This sounds absurd because I didn't get into a T-14 but I went to UCSB and partied, thus my low gpa and low LSAT. I'm ranting now, I apologize but long story short, I know the schools suck, but I'm going to one of them. Please give me some insight.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10720
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:43 pm

Not American. The rest could be regionally appropriate depending on where you want to work

User avatar
hairbear7
Posts: 517
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby hairbear7 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:46 pm

lefty bengal wrote: I'm making the decision to go to law school because I'm relying on my connects (which none are set in stone) and my intelligence to rank fairly high. This sounds absurd


bad idea

User avatar
wonka
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby wonka » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:52 pm

If you've got the full-ride to Loyola, know some people in LA & want to stay there, and are really not interested in retaking the LSAT, then I'd say go with Loyola. Given the specifications you've laid out, that decision seems easy to me. Do you think you could line up maybe your 1L and definitely your 2L summer working with the place you're looking to be once you graduate? That would be a good way to solidify those connections and improve the chances of employment after graduation.

That being said, even if you don't end up hired where you want to be, your risk isn't that high, considering the full-ride. Just live conservatively while you're in school and keep COL as low as possible.

ETA: gonna echo whoever said viewforum.php?f=1

User avatar
Sirius Blackstone
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby Sirius Blackstone » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:59 pm

lefty bengal wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:What area of the country do you want to live?



I want to live in Socal since i've been here forever. I really just applied out of state because I had a few friends doing the same thing. I would love to live in LA. Do not want to live at home (that is not an option, don't want to waste time explaining why).

And in response to SNEEZUS, I'm going to law school come Fall, regardless of how whack the employment rates are. I already have a job lined up for me as an advocate for medically appropriate healthcare for the citizens of California. The attorneys at the firm I'm working at make roughly 8k a month... given they've been working for 3+ years here. Not sure how much they made before.

Also, even though I have this job lined up does not necessarily mean I want to work here after school. I'm asking for help deciding because I am very confused. I know the unemployment rates and I know they don't look good. I know my chances of working BigLaw going to one of these schools are slim to none. That said, I'm making the decision to go to law school because I'm relying on my connects (which none are set in stone) and my intelligence to rank fairly high. This sounds absurd because I didn't get into a T-14 but I went to UCSB and partied, thus my low gpa and low LSAT. I'm ranting now, I apologize but long story short, I know the schools suck, but I'm going to one of them. Please give me some insight.


You have a job lined up that will pay over 90k a year after 3 years? Then take the full ride at Loyola LA.

But the fact that you say your connects are "not set in stone" makes me think that by the time you graduate you won't have much of a shot at working at this place over Stanford/Berkeley/UCLA/USC/even Hastings or Irvine high performers that apply there.

In other words, don't go to any of these schools unless you are 100% certain that the attorneys you work with now will hire you when you graduate (which seems unlikely).
Last edited by Sirius Blackstone on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jepper
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:13 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby jepper » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:12 pm

How do you come up with 400k per year from 8k a month?

User avatar
Sirius Blackstone
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby Sirius Blackstone » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:17 pm

jepper wrote:How do you come up with 400k per year from 8k a month?


Reading comp fail. Thought it said 8k a week. Still, if OP knows he can get a job paying 96k/a year in what sounds like reasonably interesting work he should definitely take the full ride at Loyola and intern at this place.

lefty bengal
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:58 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby lefty bengal » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:17 pm

Sirius Blackstone wrote:
lefty bengal wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:What area of the country do you want to live?



I want to live in Socal since i've been here forever. I really just applied out of state because I had a few friends doing the same thing. I would love to live in LA. Do not want to live at home (that is not an option, don't want to waste time explaining why).

And in response to SNEEZUS, I'm going to law school come Fall, regardless of how whack the employment rates are. I already have a job lined up for me as an advocate for medically appropriate healthcare for the citizens of California. The attorneys at the firm I'm working at make roughly 8k a month... given they've been working for 3+ years here. Not sure how much they made before.

Also, even though I have this job lined up does not necessarily mean I want to work here after school. I'm asking for help deciding because I am very confused. I know the unemployment rates and I know they don't look good. I know my chances of working BigLaw going to one of these schools are slim to none. That said, I'm making the decision to go to law school because I'm relying on my connects (which none are set in stone) and my intelligence to rank fairly high. This sounds absurd because I didn't get into a T-14 but I went to UCSB and partied, thus my low gpa and low LSAT. I'm ranting now, I apologize but long story short, I know the schools suck, but I'm going to one of them. Please give me some insight.


You have a job lined up that will pay over 490k a year after 3 years? Then take the full ride at Loyola LA.

But the fact that you say your connects are "not set in stone" makes me think that by the time you graduate you won't have much of a shot at working at this place over Stanford/Berkeley/UCLA/USC/even Hastings or Irvine high performers that apply there.

In other words, don't go to any of these schools unless you are 100% certain that the attorneys you work with now will hire you when you graduate (which seems unlikely).



The job is for sure lined up. They love me here. They want me to work part time in law school if possible. Both the PRES and CFO want me here after law school. I was thinking of going to Loyola with the full ride. Seems like the perfect option for me. Even if I do get into Hastings off the waitlist, I think I'd still rather choose Loyola.

The main concern I have is that everyone makes me feel like I will be unemployed or broke as F*** if I don't have a job lined up and I go to Loyola. I have not read one comment from anyone who gives me hope that if I go to Loyola I could land a decent job, yet I'm sure a lot of people on these forums are still about to go there.... bizarre

User avatar
Sirius Blackstone
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby Sirius Blackstone » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:20 pm

lefty bengal wrote:The job is for sure lined up. They love me here. They want me to work part time in law school if possible. But both the PRES and CFO want me here after law school. I was thinking of going to Loyola with the full ride. Seems like the perfect option for me. Even if I do get into Hastings off the waitlist, I think I'd still rather choose Loyola.


Get them to commit before you go, but this sounds like a situation where you just need the degree so you should just try to minimize costs and maximize your ability to keep working there.

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby AReasonableMan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:28 pm

id pick loyola. based on your writing you seem very immature so should consider taking some time off. dont take this as a knock. you'll get more mature. id just think about how much you want this versus how much you just want to get away from home without worrying about how you'll support yourself. if you were still lazy when you took the LSAT this is an issue you should address before going.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby 071816 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:32 pm

I'd pick pepperdine state because it's an ivy league

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2628
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:32 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dream_weaver32
Posts: 643
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:38 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby Dream_weaver32 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:35 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:id pick loyola. based on your writing you seem very immature so should consider taking some time off. dont take this as a knock. you'll get more mature. id just think about how much you want this versus how much you just want to get away from home without worrying about how you'll support yourself. if you were still lazy when you took the LSAT this is an issue you should address before going.


Advice about being immature from someone who fails to use capitalization and punctuation. That is fantastic.

lefty bengal
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:58 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby lefty bengal » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:37 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:id pick loyola. based on your writing you seem very immature so should consider taking some time off. dont take this as a knock. you'll get more mature. id just think about how much you want this versus how much you just want to get away from home without worrying about how you'll support yourself. if you were still lazy when you took the LSAT this is an issue you should address before going.


Wow, so much hate on a forum. I'm new so I didn't know we had to form mature sentences on here.

lefty bengal
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:58 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby lefty bengal » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:42 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:id pick loyola. based on your writing you seem very immature so should consider taking some time off. dont take this as a knock. you'll get more mature. id just think about how much you want this versus how much you just want to get away from home without worrying about how you'll support yourself. if you were still lazy when you took the LSAT this is an issue you should address before going.


Also, I scored 167 on the LSAT. Don't call me lazy.

User avatar
whitespider
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:37 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby whitespider » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:56 pm

lefty bengal wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:id pick loyola. based on your writing you seem very immature so should consider taking some time off. dont take this as a knock. you'll get more mature. id just think about how much you want this versus how much you just want to get away from home without worrying about how you'll support yourself. if you were still lazy when you took the LSAT this is an issue you should address before going.


Also, I scored 167 on the LSAT. Don't call me lazy.


I'm confused. In the Hastings thread, you said you were waitlisted with "median lsat, below median gpa".

Hastings median LSAT is 158.

User avatar
tincan678
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby tincan678 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:59 pm

whitespider wrote:
lefty bengal wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:id pick loyola. based on your writing you seem very immature so should consider taking some time off. dont take this as a knock. you'll get more mature. id just think about how much you want this versus how much you just want to get away from home without worrying about how you'll support yourself. if you were still lazy when you took the LSAT this is an issue you should address before going.


Also, I scored 167 on the LSAT. Don't call me lazy.


I'm confused. In the Hastings thread, you said you were waitlisted with "median lsat, below median gpa".

Hastings median LSAT is 158.


Also confused about your score. 167 on a practice LSAT maybe?

miamiri
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 am

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby miamiri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:04 pm

lefty bengal wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:id pick loyola. based on your writing you seem very immature so should consider taking some time off. dont take this as a knock. you'll get more mature. id just think about how much you want this versus how much you just want to get away from home without worrying about how you'll support yourself. if you were still lazy when you took the LSAT this is an issue you should address before going.


Wow, so much hate on a forum. I'm new so I didn't know we had to form mature sentences on here.


yes. this forum is filled with a lot of very young people who are extremely elitist - such a question on here will get you nowhere. You are screwed unless you attend HY or S, you did not know that?? ;-)

jepper
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:13 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby jepper » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:06 pm

Obviously OP is not telling us the truth. Not good OP.

User avatar
Hikikomorist
Posts: 3134
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: I need some help deciding....

Postby Hikikomorist » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:09 pm

.
Last edited by Hikikomorist on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], BodieBroadus, pandaaa and 12 guests