Is telling a school you don't need money a good tactic?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nachase

Is telling a school you don't need money a good tactic?

Postby nachase » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:55 pm

Long story short: I'm a vet so I get free in state tuition at all public CA schools. Does anyone know whether I can leverage this for admission (ie. let the other kids have the money and just accept me without giving me anything)?

foregetaboutdre

Re: Is telling a school you don't need money a good tactic?

Postby foregetaboutdre » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:07 pm

Not sure, but since you are a vet that will give you a boost. Also all schools most likely/do know that vets can go for free so there's not necessarily and upside to telling them.

The thinker

Postby The thinker » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:07 pm

nachase wrote:Long story short: I'm a vet so I get free in state tuition at all public CA schools. Does anyone know whether I can leverage this for admission (ie. let the other kids have the money and just accept me without giving me anything)?

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/c ... ns-chances

Looks like it's school by school so do some research on the if system or your particular school to see if they use need blind admissions ( they should be able to infer that you wouldn't need aid from your application though I would imagine considering most schools have a section asking about military experience )

nachase

Postby nachase » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:14 pm

I appreciate the quick replies, and I certainly mentioned my military experience in my PS as well as the required military sections of my apps, but a lot of admissions folks don't seem particularly familiar with such things (given the couple I've talked to anyways). Perhaps some fellow vets can weigh in (I know you're out there).

jerrycallo

Postby jerrycallo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:16 pm

Last edited by jerrycallo on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lane

Postby lane » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:38 pm

nachase wrote:Long story short: I'm a vet so I get free in state tuition at all public CA schools. Does anyone know whether I can leverage this for admission (ie. let the other kids have the money and just accept me without giving me anything)?

I saw you on the UCLA page, so I assume this may be in reference to them. If it makes you feel any better, I am also a veteran and interviewed with Rob Schwartz on Friday. He specifically asked me about my GI Bill benefits and the Yellow Ribbon Program (I am not a California resident), so I would say that it probably wouldn't hurt considering I was asked directly about it. Unfortunately, I used most of my GI Bill benefits in obtaining my undergrad degree, which I conveyed to him, and I was still offered admission after the interview.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”