deposit deadlines for full scholarships and withdrawing

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HeirCroc

deposit deadlines for full scholarships and withdrawing

Postby HeirCroc » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:15 pm

I have a full ride at a lower ranked school and the depo deadline is April first. I have several other offers for less $$ at much higher ranked schools.I want to negotiate with these other schools but it's taking longer than expected, so I may save my seat at the lower ranked school. Since it's a full scholly, do I just email the adcomms and say 'save me a seat'? Then if I get a better offer just say 'I'm withdrawing'? Not in those exact words, of course, but you get the point.

One reason I'm asking is because--and maybe this is a bit silly--I feel kinda slimy having this school reserve my spot when I could very well end up withdrawing. I suppose I'm looking for reassurance that this standard practice.

Thanks

altf4

Re: deposit deadlines for full scholarships and withdrawing

Postby altf4 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:20 pm

AFAIK even with a full scholarship you need to deposit (as in, send the money). They refund the amount to you when you matriculate at their school. So a simple email like that would be insufficient.

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:49 pm

altf4 wrote:AFAIK even with a full scholarship you need to deposit (as in, send the money). They refund the amount to you when you matriculate at their school. So a simple email like that would be insufficient.

Not necessarily true. It's dependent on the school. From personal experience, some schools don't require a seat deposit for full schollys, just a letter of commitment agreeing to attend and withdraw from other schools. Other schools require a deposit (that will be refunded once school starts).

I'd be surprised if a school didn't make you withdraw from other schools before accepting the non-deposit scholly. I've got a few full rides and they all are pretty specific about their requirements.

HeirCroc

Postby HeirCroc » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:21 pm

whitespider wrote:
Not necessarily true. It's dependent on the school. From personal experience, some schools don't require a seat deposit for full schollys, just a letter of commitment agreeing to attend and withdraw from other schools. Other schools require a deposit (that will be refunded once school starts).

I'd be surprised if a school didn't make you withdraw from other schools before accepting the non-deposit scholly. I've got a few full rides and they all are pretty specific about their requirements.

I just double checked the letter and it states I need to inform them by April 1st in writing whether I plan to enroll and that this saves my seat. It sounds like I'm 'locked in' after an email to them confirming I plan to enroll? For example, lets say one of my reach schools waitlists me, will I be unable to withdraw and enroll at the reach school in, say, May or whatever?

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:50 pm

HeirCroc wrote:
whitespider wrote:

I just double checked the letter and it states I need to inform them by April 1st in writing whether I plan to enroll and that this saves my seat. It sounds like I'm 'locked in' after an email to them confirming I plan to enroll? For example, lets say one of my reach schools waitlists me, will I be unable to withdraw and enroll at the reach school in, say, May or whatever?

The fact the they require written confirmation of your intent to enroll would seem to lock you in, but it's certainly less specifically binding than most my letters have been. I'm surprised they don't require something more definitive.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”