University of Utah C/O 2018

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
magnuswalton

Re: University of Utah C/O 2018

Postby magnuswalton » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:43 pm

sp_crowell wrote:
magnuswalton wrote:
sp_crowell wrote:They offered me a seriously generous chunk of change. I am at or above both 75ths, though

What percentage of tuition were you awarded?

90%

By 90% i will assume you received the 88% and are rounding up. You are the fourth person now that I have heard of that has received that scholarship. Do you know how common that particular scholie is this year?
Do you know anyone who has received a full ride?

magnuswalton

Postby magnuswalton » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:49 pm

sp_crowell wrote:They offered me a seriously generous chunk of change. I am at or above both 75ths, though

sp_crowell, you note that your lsat is above the 75th percentile at the U, however, your profile shows your LSAT score to be 161...which is not above the 75th percentile at the U. Is your profile not accurate?

magnuswalton

Postby magnuswalton » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:04 pm

ChiefOstenaco wrote:Just got my Scholarship email!

I have not heard back anything from the University of Utah as of today...and am starting to get worried!

I doubt that a scholarship is any where near possible, but I want to go here so bad :) Love the people I have met!

Do you folks think there is any hope at this stage? Should I retake the LSAT?

sp_crowell

Postby sp_crowell » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:37 pm

magnuswalton wrote:
sp_crowell wrote:
magnuswalton wrote:

90%

By 90% i will assume you received the 88% and are rounding up. You are the fourth person now that I have heard of that has received that scholarship. Do you know how common that particular scholie is this year?
Do you know anyone who has received a full ride?

By 90% I mean 90%. The scholarship email they sent said 90.

sp_crowell

Postby sp_crowell » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:08 pm

magnuswalton wrote:

sp_crowell, you note that your lsat is above the 75th percentile at the U, however, your profile shows your LSAT score to be 161...which is not above the 75th percentile at the U. Is your profile not accurate?

I believe I said "at or above both 75ths" 161 is at the 75th, if I'm not mistaken

magnuswalton

Postby magnuswalton » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:18 pm

sp_crowell wrote:
magnuswalton wrote:

I believe I said "at or above both 75ths" 161 is at the 75th, if I'm not mistaken

Mr. SP_Crowell, the 75th percentile is 161. you are 161. you are NOT above the 75th. You are at 75th.
Details, details, details...

magnuswalton

Postby magnuswalton » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:22 pm

sp_crowell wrote:
magnuswalton wrote:

The reason for asking you this info is not to be a pest. I am an undergrad at the U. The weird thing with this cycle is that the numbers are very strange for scholarship coverage. Now there are 4 different groups of odd numbers: I have heard of an 85% tuition coverage; and 87%, and 88%, and a 90%. That is why I asked you about that number.
I wonder what the U is up to now?

sp_crowell

Postby sp_crowell » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:55 pm

magnuswalton wrote:
sp_crowell wrote:
magnuswalton wrote:

Mr. SP_Crowell, the 75th percentile is 161. you are 161. you are NOT above the 75th. You are at 75th.

My GPA is ABOVE the 75th. My LSAT is AT the 75th. "At or above both 75ths" is an accurate statement, and one that is used pretty frequently 'round these parts. Quit your nitpicking, junior.

Moabit

Postby Moabit » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:18 pm

magnuswalton wrote:Mr. SP_Crowell, the 75th percentile is 161. you are 161. you are NOT above the 75th. You are at 75th.

This is funny. Let me ask, which part of the LSAT, logical reasoning or reading comprehension, was your best?

ChiefOstenaco

Postby ChiefOstenaco » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:55 pm

Last edited by ChiefOstenaco on Wed May 06, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnuswalton

Postby magnuswalton » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:32 pm

Moabit wrote:
magnuswalton wrote:Mr. SP_Crowell, the 75th percentile is 161. you are 161. you are NOT above the 75th. You are at 75th.

This is funny. Let me ask, which part of the LSAT, logical reasoning or reading comprehension, was your best?

Hello Mrs. Moab,
Actually, i was not a fan of either section....since a common denominator was being able to read....which I believe may be an outdated skill....like writing cursive....since computers can do it anyways...like document review, word search function, spell check.

Back to Mr. "at or above's" choice of words, I must maintain my objection because IF he was actually above the 75th I would understand the justification for a large scholarship, as that is the game law schools appear to play, but since he as AT the 75th...and not above it, the question of why the U has chosen to offer a scholarship of such value must be raised?

Every year, every law school has a game they play, and I posit that the U has a game in play as the game is on the line this year...new building and lots on the line to justify such a hugh investment...

Really though, Mr. "At or Above", congratulations on your meritorious feat, EVEN IF you are only AT the 75th. :)

Now, if I could only get accepted, do you think it worth while to pay out of state tuition here? I think you owe me a well thought out answer as my tuition payments will be bank rolling your attendance...right?

magnuswalton

Postby magnuswalton » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:43 pm

sp_crowell wrote:
magnuswalton wrote:

Hello Mr. SP_Crowell... junior here. With your GPA they should give you 100%...even though your LSAT was just AT the 75th...and not ABOVE.....maybe you can negotiate?

Moabit

Postby Moabit » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:54 am

magnuswalton wrote:I must maintain my objection because IF he was actually above the 75th I would understand the justification for a large scholarship, as that is the game law schools appear to play, but since he as AT the 75th...and not above it, the question of why the U has chosen to offer a scholarship of such value must be raised?

This is of course a question totally separate from the dissection of the merits of SP_Crowell's claim, but while we are at it... why wouldn't the U do it? Your implicit assumption is that they strive to improve their 50th and 75th percentiles while in reality they might merely want to hold steady. Just a few years back 161 was their median, and the number of law school applications nationwide has only been going south ever since.

And by the way, I am not Mrs., so "stop calling me Shirley."

nyp165

Postby nyp165 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:50 pm

magnuswalton wrote:
nyp165 wrote:75% of non-resident, was hoping for a bit more honestly.

I hear that Utah is pretty good about giving in-state after the first year. Will they honor the 75% even if you become in-state? So will the take 75% off of your in-state tuition for year 2 and 3?

Yes, the scholarship remains the same.

sp_crowell

Postby sp_crowell » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:58 pm

magnuswalton wrote:
Moabit wrote:

Hello Mrs. Moab,
Actually, i was not a fan of either section....since a common denominator was being able to read....which I believe may be an outdated skill....like writing cursive....since computers can do it anyways...like document review, word search function, spell check.

Back to Mr. "at or above's" choice of words, I must maintain my objection because IF he was actually above the 75th I would understand the justification for a large scholarship, as that is the game law schools appear to play, but since he as AT the 75th...and not above it, the question of why the U has chosen to offer a scholarship of such value must be raised?

Every year, every law school has a game they play, and I posit that the U has a game in play as the game is on the line this year...new building and lots on the line to justify such a hugh investment...

Really though, Mr. "At or Above", congratulations on your meritorious feat, EVEN IF you are only AT the 75th. :)

Now, if I could only get accepted, do you think it worth while to pay out of state tuition here? I think you owe me a well thought out answer as my tuition payments will be bank rolling your attendance...right?

:wink: Feel free to PM me if you would actually like my input

magnuswalton

Postby magnuswalton » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:25 pm

So....I received this CREEPY message about my posting regarding scholarship banter:

xylocarp wrote:The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
Please refrain from picking fights in the Acceptances/Denials/Waitlists forum. This part of TLS is for discussion about decisions being received from schools, not about whether or not you think someone deserved the scholarship they received.

"picking fights"....."deserving of scholarship"....WHAT...did that really just happen? Babies...please grow up and look up the word BANTER.

You can rest assured that there is ABSOLUTELY NO picking of fights ladies and sirs. I love it when people get schollies from law schools....i think it very disturbing for any person to pay sticker price at most law schools given the current supply/demand/job opportunities in the field. Banter ladies....not picking fights.

Who ever creepy XYLOCARP is that sent me the PM, they can take their "mother may I" garbage and throw it out. Ridiculous.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:41 pm

magnuswalton wrote:So....I received this CREEPY message about my posting regarding scholarship banter:

xylocarp wrote:The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
Please refrain from picking fights in the Acceptances/Denials/Waitlists forum. This part of TLS is for discussion about decisions being received from schools, not about whether or not you think someone deserved the scholarship they received.

"picking fights"....."deserving of scholarship"....WHAT...did that really just happen? Babies...please grow up and look up the word BANTER.

You can rest assured that there is ABSOLUTELY NO picking of fights ladies and sirs. I love it when people get schollies from law schools....i think it very disturbing for any person to pay sticker price at most law schools given the current supply/demand/job opportunities in the field. Banter ladies....not picking fights.

Who ever creepy XYLOCARP is that sent me the PM, they can take their "mother may I" garbage and throw it out. Ridiculous.

Hi magnuswalton! I already PMed you, but I assumed that you were picking a fight and/or trolling because the poster you were arguing with clearly said "at or above" both 75th percentiles, and you were arguing that s/he was "at" the 75th percentile, which obviously made no sense whatsoever and was an utterly ridiculous argument to be making, unless you were just trolling or picking a fight. I also received a report/complaint about your posts here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

mak04

Postby mak04 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:49 pm

How long after you guys got your acceptance letters did you receive your scholorship information?

ChiefOstenaco

Postby ChiefOstenaco » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:08 pm

Last edited by ChiefOstenaco on Wed May 06, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mak04

Postby mak04 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:50 pm

ChiefOstenaco wrote:
mak04 wrote:How long after you guys got your acceptance letters did you receive your scholorship information?

Mine was a couple weeks after. They sent an email with the basics and later sent a packet with the details.

Okay, thank you so much! Hopefully I hear from them regarding scholarships sooner rather than later

ChiefOstenaco

Postby ChiefOstenaco » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:33 pm

Last edited by ChiefOstenaco on Wed May 06, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnuswalton

Postby magnuswalton » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:26 pm

sp_crowell wrote:
magnuswalton wrote:

90%

Hello SP Crowell. As we have clearly demonstrated (especially by the intervention on the part of XYLOCARP)...people on THIS forum value and care about details...hence the proverbial "ruffled feathers" over AT OR ABOVE when it comes to the LSAT score discussed previously.

I have now FINALLY convinced my humble and kind friend who was awarded one of the 88% scholarships to show me his scholarship letter. In that letter, which I saw with my own very set of eyeballs (signed by Reyes Aguilar), it is very clear that the 88% scholarship it the "most prestigious merit scholarship award" at the U for the upcoming class.

Normally, one would say who cares about 2%. But, details matter! So, did you really get a 90% scholarship, or were you rounding up?...and yes I am assuming that Reyes Aguilar is telling the truth in his email! He is a good man.

ChiefOstenaco

Postby ChiefOstenaco » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:12 pm

Last edited by ChiefOstenaco on Wed May 06, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mak04

Postby mak04 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:31 am

I would guess it that it is just referring to the fact that it is a merit. I was also offered 90% and my letter says " one of our most prestigious". Has any one heard of someone being offered more than 90

mak04

Postby mak04 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:33 am

magnuswalton wrote:
sp_crowell wrote:
magnuswalton wrote:

90%

Hello SP Crowell. As we have clearly demonstrated (especially by the intervention on the part of XYLOCARP)...people on THIS forum value and care about details...hence the proverbial "ruffled feathers" over AT OR ABOVE when it comes to the LSAT score discussed previously.

I have now FINALLY convinced my humble and kind friend who was awarded one of the 88% scholarships to show me his scholarship letter. In that letter, which I saw with my own very set of eyeballs (signed by Reyes Aguilar), it is very clear that the 88% scholarship it the "most prestigious merit scholarship award" at the U for the upcoming class.

Normally, one would say who cares about 2%. But, details matter! So, did you really get a 90% scholarship, or were you rounding up?...and yes I am assuming that Reyes Aguilar is telling the truth in his email! He is a good man.

I was offered 90%

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”