Howard Law C/O 2018

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mlehh91

Howard Law C/O 2018

Postby mlehh91 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:05 pm

Apparently this doesn't exist yet? Checking in.

Applied 11/10/2014
Accepted 1/13/2015 with scholarship

message for details.

IHamp15

Re: Howard Law C/O 2018

Postby IHamp15 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:06 am

I was accepted on 1/13/15. I've been looking for people who are for sure going to Howard in the fall.

mlehh91

Postby mlehh91 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:19 am

IHamp15 wrote:I was accepted on 1/13/15. I've been looking for people who are for sure going to Howard in the fall.

As of right now, I'm going (still waiting on 4 schools). I'll be visiting in March for the open house. Is it your top choice?

FSK

Postby FSK » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:24 am

When you visit, make sure you stop by the Indian or Pho restaurants right next to the LS on Connecticut. Both are great.

mlehh91

Postby mlehh91 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:28 pm

Invitations to the open house 3/6 just went out via email

IHamp15

Postby IHamp15 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:11 am

mlehh91 wrote:
IHamp15 wrote:I was accepted on 1/13/15. I've been looking for people who are for sure going to Howard in the fall.

As of right now, I'm going (still waiting on 4 schools). I'll be visiting in March for the open house. Is it your top choice?

Yes, I told myself that I'd go to Howard if accepted. Everything else was back up. I got a call about the open house but I've already bought plane tickets to visit the weekend after open house.

mlehh91

Postby mlehh91 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:42 am

IHamp15 wrote:
mlehh91 wrote:

Yes, I told myself that I'd go to Howard if accepted. Everything else was back up. I got a call about the open house but I've already bought plane tickets to visit the weekend after open house.

That's excellent, happy to hear you're committed. I'm operating under the assumption that Howard is where I'll call home, but I can't make that final decision until everything is back.

deoncarlette

Postby deoncarlette » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:39 am

I was accepted at Howard, but I'm not sure If I'll attend yet. I'm still waiting on a few more offers. Howard would be much more appealing if the scholarship was guaranteed over all three years.

cc78

Postby cc78 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:19 am

deoncarlette wrote:I was accepted at Howard, but I'm not sure If I'll attend yet. I'm still waiting on a few more offers. Howard would be much more appealing if the scholarship was guaranteed over all three years.

I can understand that. Just curious. What are your stipulations to keep your scholarship?

mlehh91

Postby mlehh91 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:00 pm

cc78 wrote:
deoncarlette wrote:I was accepted at Howard, but I'm not sure If I'll attend yet. I'm still waiting on a few more offers. Howard would be much more appealing if the scholarship was guaranteed over all three years.

I can understand that. Just curious. What are your stipulations to keep your scholarship?

I understand that. My scholarship seemed only for one year but the follow up letter clarified. Did you get your letter yet?

deoncarlette

Postby deoncarlette » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:02 pm

cc78 wrote:

cc78 wrote:

The letter said that the award for successive years would depend on class standing.

Redgemini17

Postby Redgemini17 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:08 pm

Completed app 2/3
Accepted 2/5

Anyone ever heard of a decision being made that fast? Please note that no scholarship offer was sent with the email I received. Still waiting for the acceptance letter. I just thought that the turnaround time was pretty fast especially after I contacted the law school to make sure my verification form went through the day after my app was submitted and the admissions officer stated its usually 2-8 weeks before a decision is made.

Does this seem a little odd to anyone? Or is this the norm?

IHamp15

Postby IHamp15 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:18 pm

Redgemini17 wrote:Completed app 2/3
Accepted 2/5

Anyone ever heard of a decision being made that fast? Please note that no scholarship offer was sent with the email I received. Still waiting for the acceptance letter. I just thought that the turnaround time was pretty fast especially after I contacted the law school to make sure my verification form went through the day after my app was submitted and the admissions officer stated its usually 2-8 weeks before a decision is made.

Mine was pretty quick as well

mlehh91

Postby mlehh91 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:59 pm

IHamp15 wrote:
Redgemini17 wrote:Completed app 2/3
Accepted 2/5

Mine was pretty quick as well

I applied in November, so I can't say that I had the same experience. Any merit scholarships will be sent via USPS and not with the acceptance e-mail.

Redgemini17

Postby Redgemini17 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:36 am

Is Howard completely finished giving out aid this year? I got nth from them but a couple of other schools are covering about half of my tuition and they are ranked at 87 and 93 according to usnews. Has anyone received scholarship money when negotiating?

illmatic92

Postby illmatic92 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:43 pm

Applied on 1/29 and received acceptance email on 3/2. Open house on 3/6 is too short notice so I plan to go to the one this summer. Also admitted into NCCU but Howard is my top choice as of right now.

ScottPilgrimv.TheLaw

Postby ScottPilgrimv.TheLaw » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:49 am

Fee Waiver e-mail 3/3. Applied 3/5. Application Received e-mail 3/6. Under Review e-mail 3/11. Admitted with $$$$ offer in e-mail on 3/13.

That was probably the quickest and least communicative process of the schools I applied to. It was strange not having a status checker, and I definitely wouldn't have been able to decipher that the scholly was recurring w/out y'all's assistance. Howard's one of my top options but I'm still waiting on Georgetown. Thanks for your updates. Good luck!

ETA: I just got my packet in the mail today. The stips don't seem too bad (top 50% for close to full), but DC COL is waaaay higher than ATX COL.

jhuff006

Postby jhuff006 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:51 pm

I am for sure going. From Cali and struggling to find a place to live. Not sure what are safe neighborhoods, etc. Any thoughts?

mlehh91

Postby mlehh91 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:05 pm

It really depends on your preferences. I've spoken to several current students who have spoken highly of MD and DC living. It really depends on the costs. IF you're going for the maximum student loans I would say go for DC

jhuff006

Postby jhuff006 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:19 pm

mlehh91 wrote:It really depends on your preferences. I've spoken to several current students who have spoken highly of MD and DC living. It really depends on the costs. IF you're going for the maximum student loans I would say go for DC

I have seen a lot of affordable apartments that look really nice in MD, however, I will not be bringing my car ( at least not my first year) and it is quite far on public transportation. I am hoping to find an apartment in DC, near or close to Howard. But it is so hard! Do you know if Brookland is a nice area? Or Forest Hills and Columbia Heights? I heard that some areas are not the safest to live. I plan on taking the max - its only $2000 a month which isnt that much at all - so about $1k for rent. BTW Thanks for the response!

BigCityDreams

Postby BigCityDreams » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:48 pm

jhuff006 wrote:
mlehh91 wrote:It really depends on your preferences. I've spoken to several current students who have spoken highly of MD and DC living. It really depends on the costs. IF you're going for the maximum student loans I would say go for DC

I have seen a lot of affordable apartments that look really nice in MD, however, I will not be bringing my car ( at least not my first year) and it is quite far on public transportation. I am hoping to find an apartment in DC, near or close to Howard. But it is so hard! Do you know if Brookland is a nice area? Or Forest Hills and Columbia Heights? I heard that some areas are not the safest to live. I plan on taking the max - its only $2000 a month which isnt that much at all - so about $1k for rent. BTW Thanks for the response!

I currently live in DC as I am in Howard undergrad. All the neighborhoods you listed are pretty safe with Columbia Heights probably being the top and most expensive. I would suggest looking into the 7th Street flats. It is near Howard's undergraduate campus and has lots of new bars and restaurants in walking distance. It is above a metro station and provides a pretty easy commute via the train. Also, I would not suggest living in Maryland the first year until you are used to the city.

jhuff006

Postby jhuff006 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:24 pm

BigCityDreams wrote:
jhuff006 wrote:

I currently live in DC as I am in Howard undergrad. All the neighborhoods you listed are pretty safe with Columbia Heights probably being the top and most expensive. I would suggest looking into the 7th Street flats. It is near Howard's undergraduate campus and has lots of new bars and restaurants in walking distance. It is above a metro station and provides a pretty easy commute via the train. Also, I would not suggest living in Maryland the first year until you are used to the city.

Thank you for your response. I looked into 7th street and they look really nice. But on my budget of $1k a month for rent, those probably will not work for me. That being said, is there anyone attending Howard Law that is looking for a roommate? Please message me as I am searching for housing for me and my dog right now and it is getting pretty difficult. Thanks!! :)

IHamp15

Postby IHamp15 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:11 pm

I'm looking for a roommate!

jhuff006 wrote:
BigCityDreams wrote:
jhuff006 wrote:

Thank you for your response. I looked into 7th street and they look really nice. But on my budget of $1k a month for rent, those probably will not work for me. That being said, is there anyone attending Howard Law that is looking for a roommate? Please message me as I am searching for housing for me and my dog right now and it is getting pretty difficult. Thanks!! :)

BigCityDreams

Postby BigCityDreams » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:16 pm

Accepted today!
Complete 4/2
Accepted 4/3 :shock: with $$$

I think it helped a lot that I am currently at the undergrad! So I'm guessing access to records caused a fast response?!?! Either way, most likely attending. Does anyone know if there is an upcoming event at the law school

mlehh91

Postby mlehh91 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:49 pm

5/15 open house. Congratulations!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”