Georgetown Wait-List 2014-2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AwesomeLawyer

New

Re: Georgetown Wait-List 2014-2015

Post by AwesomeLawyer » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:08 pm

Got an email yesterday (preferred waitlist) saying that their deposits are quite strong and they are not planning to make many offers prior to 05/01 deposit deadline. They will know for sure by 05/07 the latest if there will be any openings.

ineedacupofcoffee

New

Post by ineedacupofcoffee » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:28 pm

JTIII wrote:I didn't respond to the email because I sent a LOCI recently.

A little off topic, but does anyone know about odds of getting placed in Curriculum B for us waitlisted folks? If I were to get in (knock on wood), my strong preference would be for Curriculum B, but I've heard that it might not be likely for people on the waitlist because competition to get placed in that section is strong to begin with.
Really? When I went for the info session they made it sound like it wasn't that popular and that you could pretty much do it if you wanted to. But I could be wrong!
I think you should just call admissions and ask. They'd obviously know best and it's a legitimate question.

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:34 pm

ineedacupofcoffee wrote:

A little off topic, but does anyone know about odds of getting placed in Curriculum B for us waitlisted folks? If I were to get in (knock on wood), my strong preference would be for Curriculum B, but I've heard that it might not be likely for people on the waitlist because competition to get placed in that section is strong to begin with.
Really? When I went for the info session they made it sound like it wasn't that popular and that you could pretty much do it if you wanted to. But I could be wrong!
I think you should just call admissions and ask. They'd obviously know best and it's a legitimate question.
IDK that might not come off right if you ask before you get in.

JTIII

New

Post by JTIII » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:17 pm

ineedacupofcoffee wrote:

Were you by chance at the 4/10 info session? I got that sense too, but I've read online that placement is competitive, so I'm a bit confused!
Big Red wrote:
ineedacupofcoffee wrote:

IDK that might not come off right if you ask before you get in.
Feel ya on that. It's not a make-or-break issue for me so I might just sit on it. Ugh should've asked at the info session.

pta

Gold

Post removed...

Post by pta » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:25 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by pta on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

monkeyKT

Bronze

Post by monkeyKT » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:47 pm

Just curious since everyone on the preferred and regular WL chimed in, is anyone on the thread on the special preferred wait list? If so, is the language similar...?

pta

Gold

Post removed...

Post by pta » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:25 am

Post removed...
Last edited by pta on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

foreverlost

New

Post by foreverlost » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:44 am

monkeyKT wrote:Just curious since everyone on the preferred and regular WL chimed in, is anyone on the thread on the special preferred wait list? If so, is the language similar...?
I think I'm on the special preferred. The email I got had a different contact email.

"Good afternoon from Georgetown. I’m writing to you today to give you an update on the Georgetown waiting list. As you know, you are in a special select group that we will be going to first if spaces open up in the entering class.

As of today our deposits are quite strong, but it is always possible that we may extend some spaces in the class prior to or immediately after our May 1st deposit deadline. At this stage, the Committee is particularly interested in applicants who truly want to be at Georgetown. We understand that circumstances may change over time. While we are not asking you to commit, it would be extremely helpful to know what you are thinking at this point and the likelihood of enrolling if admitted.

Please respond to Alison Spada, Director of Admissions, at lawwaitlist@law.georgetown.edu as soon as possible to let us know your level of interest. On our end, we will try to keep you as up to date as possible on the waitlist situation, both before and after May 1st. But, in any event, we will get back to you with an update by Thursday, May 7th at the latest.

We look forward to hearing back from you and we thank you again for your continued interest in Georgetown and for your patience with our process.

Best,
Andy"

monkeyKT

Bronze

Post by monkeyKT » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:17 pm

foreverlost wrote:
monkeyKT wrote:Just curious since everyone on the preferred and regular WL chimed in, is anyone on the thread on the special preferred wait list? If so, is the language similar...?
I think I'm on the special preferred. The email I got had a different contact email.

"Good afternoon from Georgetown. I’m writing to you today to give you an update on the Georgetown waiting list. As you know, you are in a special select group that we will be going to first if spaces open up in the entering class.

As of today our deposits are quite strong, but it is always possible that we may extend some spaces in the class prior to or immediately after our May 1st deposit deadline. At this stage, the Committee is particularly interested in applicants who truly want to be at Georgetown. We understand that circumstances may change over time. While we are not asking you to commit, it would be extremely helpful to know what you are thinking at this point and the likelihood of enrolling if admitted.

Please respond to Alison Spada, Director of Admissions, at lawwaitlist@law.georgetown.edu as soon as possible to let us know your level of interest. On our end, we will try to keep you as up to date as possible on the waitlist situation, both before and after May 1st. But, in any event, we will get back to you with an update by Thursday, May 7th at the latest.

We look forward to hearing back from you and we thank you again for your continued interest in Georgetown and for your patience with our process.

Best,
Andy"
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like special group and Preferred WL have the same "notified by May 7" timeline.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BangShootBang

New

Post by BangShootBang » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:16 pm

On the preferred wait list and got a call today asking if I was admitted what would I do. The guy said they think they have a small number of spots that will be open and wanted to know my level of commitment to the school

ku546

Bronze

Post by ku546 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:58 pm

BangShootBang wrote:On the preferred wait list and got a call today asking if I was admitted what would I do. The guy said they think they have a small number of spots that will be open and wanted to know my level of commitment to the school
Congratulations. How did you respond if you don't mind? Would be curious to hear the interaction and their response. Seems like they play games with scholarships and if you say something like "I'm definitely going" then they'll screw you and make you pay sticker.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:09 pm

ku546 wrote:
BangShootBang wrote:On the preferred wait list and got a call today asking if I was admitted what would I do. The guy said they think they have a small number of spots that will be open and wanted to know my level of commitment to the school
Congratulations. How did you respond if you don't mind? Would be curious to hear the interaction and their response. Seems like they play games with scholarships and if you say something like "I'm definitely going" then they'll screw you and make you pay sticker.
Yes but you could probably negotiate with them once you get in. If you aren't admitted yet you have literally no negotiation power lol.

lc0626

New

Post by lc0626 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:36 pm

Hey I was "in a special group within their Preferred Waiting List," to quote the decision letter, but I just withdrew a couple of days ago.

Good luck guys!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:58 pm

lc0626 wrote:Hey I was "in a special group within their Preferred Waiting List," to quote the decision letter, but I just withdrew a couple of days ago.

Good luck guys!
I find it funny that they'd waitlist you considering you've been accepted to much better schools.

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Bronze

Post by WhatCouldHaveBeen » Mon May 04, 2015 4:17 pm

Anyone have data, anecdotal or past years or whatever, about how realistic it is for those who get in off the PWL or WL to get scholly $$? My understanding is that for some t14 schools (Duke, Michigan are two I've heard of this for) this is a "not uncommon" thing since money goes back in the pot after deposit deadlines pass from those with scholly $ who don't deposit/who withdraw. Haven't seen anything regarding this for GULC one way or another.

Thanks!!

JTIII

New

Post by JTIII » Mon May 04, 2015 4:45 pm

WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:Anyone have data, anecdotal or past years or whatever, about how realistic it is for those who get in off the PWL or WL to get scholly $$? My understanding is that for some t14 schools (Duke, Michigan are two I've heard of this for) this is a "not uncommon" thing since money goes back in the pot after deposit deadlines pass from those with scholly $ who don't deposit/who withdraw. Haven't seen anything regarding this for GULC one way or another.

Thanks!!
I think GULC falls into the "not uncommon" category as you described it. I've heard that a lot of it depends on timing, and that if you happen to get off the WL at a time when someone has recently withdrawn and given up their scholly, then you may luck out. Keep in mind that this money is also allotted back out to students who have already deposited and negotiate for more.

monkeyKT

Bronze

Post by monkeyKT » Mon May 04, 2015 4:55 pm

Any news or movement today at all?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

storpappa

Silver

Post by storpappa » Mon May 04, 2015 5:02 pm

WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:Anyone have data, anecdotal or past years or whatever, about how realistic it is for those who get in off the PWL or WL to get scholly $$? My understanding is that for some t14 schools (Duke, Michigan are two I've heard of this for) this is a "not uncommon" thing since money goes back in the pot after deposit deadlines pass from those with scholly $ who don't deposit/who withdraw. Haven't seen anything regarding this for GULC one way or another.

Thanks!!
Based on the on campus Q&A, expect to pay full tuition
If you get some money, it is a bonus

And as pointed out "Financial Aid Office is always open to help you"

Take from that how much you want.

pta

Gold

Post removed...

Post by pta » Tue May 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by pta on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Tue May 05, 2015 3:35 pm

storpappa wrote:

Thanks!!
Based on the on campus Q&A, expect to pay full tuition
If you get some money, it is a bonus

And as pointed out "Financial Aid Office is always open to help you"

Take from that how much you want.
To be fair this is the posture they're always going to take in an event like that.

hopefulrs

New

Post by hopefulrs » Wed May 06, 2015 11:06 am

Did anyone on here get the part-time waitlist email last week? It didn't say anything about "being a preferred candidate", even though I am on the preferred wait-list but for part time... does this mean I am no longer a preferred applicant? ...

Good luck to everyone out there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

santoki

Silver

Post removed.

Post by santoki » Wed May 06, 2015 4:41 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by santoki on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

JTIII

New

Post by JTIII » Wed May 06, 2015 4:43 pm

Getting reeeeeal antsy. Thought there would have been some movement by now.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Wed May 06, 2015 4:47 pm

Think they are actually going to make offers starting tomorrow?

monkeyKT

Bronze

Post by monkeyKT » Wed May 06, 2015 4:51 pm

Last edited by monkeyKT on Fri May 20, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”