Waitlist Championships- class of 2018

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bob311

Re: Waitlist Championships- class of 2018

Postby bob311 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:48 pm

I posted this in the emory waitlist thread but it goes here too:

I have been getting waitlisted everywhere including Emory and I called to speak to my undergrad law school advisor. She said she was at an annual meeting of pre-law advisors and basically the take away message was something like this:

Because of the uncertainty with this year's class as far as numbers of students reducing as well as lsat scores being lower, most schools are HUGELY increasing their waitlists. She said she had heard directly from multiple top 20 schools admissions deans stating that they are planning on doubling or tripling their waitlists from even last year. Her takeaway message was send a LOCI to the schools, call frequently, etc. But don't hold you breath. The odds are drastically not in your favor this year.

It wasn't the best phone call I ever had but it makes a lot of sense. Schools don't know where their medians will be and are fighting to keep them. With having a smaller pool of students to keep their medians (especially top 20ish schools), it seems that they will be pulling more from the waitlist. But because of this, they are drastically increasing the waitlist sizes.

Take it for what it is worth.

KMart

Postby KMart » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:53 pm

So the WL champion is essentially the entire class of :(.

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Postby WhatCouldHaveBeen » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:36 pm

Thanks for sharing. By this logic, though, I don't see why the "odds" would be more or less in anyone's favor? If waitlists are bigger this year but more people are getting off of them, isn't that the same net neutral outcome as a smaller waitlist with less people coming off (unless lists are increasing in size disproportionate to the increase in individuals who get off of them). For instance, if a waitlist has 5 people and 2 get off, but then this year the waitlist has 10 and 4 get off....40% success rate in either case.

Not saying the news you received is incorrect, I'm just not sure it's negative news given I don't think we know enough on specific numbers .

bob311 wrote:I posted this in the emory waitlist thread but it goes here too:

I have been getting waitlisted everywhere including Emory and I called to speak to my undergrad law school advisor. She said she was at an annual meeting of pre-law advisors and basically the take away message was something like this:

Because of the uncertainty with this year's class as far as numbers of students reducing as well as lsat scores being lower, most schools are HUGELY increasing their waitlists. She said she had heard directly from multiple top 20 schools admissions deans stating that they are planning on doubling or tripling their waitlists from even last year. Her takeaway message was send a LOCI to the schools, call frequently, etc. But don't hold you breath. The odds are drastically not in your favor this year.

It wasn't the best phone call I ever had but it makes a lot of sense. Schools don't know where their medians will be and are fighting to keep them. With having a smaller pool of students to keep their medians (especially top 20ish schools), it seems that they will be pulling more from the waitlist. But because of this, they are drastically increasing the waitlist sizes.

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:43 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

bob311

Postby bob311 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:49 pm

WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:Thanks for sharing. By this logic, though, I don't see why the "odds" would be more or less in anyone's favor? If waitlists are bigger this year but more people are getting off of them, isn't that the same net neutral outcome as a smaller waitlist with less people coming off (unless lists are increasing in size disproportionate to the increase in individuals who get off of them). For instance, if a waitlist has 5 people and 2 get off, but then this year the waitlist has 10 and 4 get off....40% success rate in either case.

Not saying the news you received is incorrect, I'm just not sure it's negative news given I don't think we know enough on specific numbers .

bob311 wrote:I posted this in the emory waitlist thread but it goes here too:

I think what my old advisor was trying to suggest was that the individual schools do not yet know how things will turn out with the offers they have given out. We wont know if it is good news for a few weeks with deposit deadlines. But her case was basically suggesting if the % of students who accept offers given out already is the same as the past few years, it is extremely extremely bad for the waitlist people, because so many more waitlisted students to fill the slots. What the schools are worried about is they wont have enough people depositing, so they are increasing the waitlist sizes. But if that % doesn't change much, which is her point, then being on a waitlist this year is much worse than previous.

I don't know what will happen, but I feel inclined to this point. I do not think acceptances will drop so significantly to then make up the % taken off the waitlist to be similar to what it has in years past. It would mean most schools have drastically reduced depositors.

JGMotorsport

Postby JGMotorsport » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:35 pm

11 applications

2 Waitlists (Arizona; Colorado)
1 Rejection (Houston "Law" Center)
1 Pending
7 Accepted (Arizona State ($); Cal Davis; Denver ($$$$) Nevada ($$); New Mexico ($); Oklahoma($$$); Tennessee; Temple ($))

oaktown

Postby oaktown » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:49 pm

Applied: Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, NYU, Columbia, Cal, Duke, Georgetown, Penn, Michigan

Waitlisted: Harvard, Duke (Priority), Georgetown, Penn, Michigan

Denied: Cal

Still Waiting: Stanford, Chicago, NYU, Columbia

So I'm 5/6 on waitlists from schools I've heard back from. If everything goes right, I could end up 9/10 on waitlists, with no acceptances. I'll have to get a crown made.

rainmaker12

Postby rainmaker12 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:45 pm

who else just wants to go ahead and start a thread for people reapplying next year? if I haven't already been rejected/waitlisted, I'm still complete at most schools that I'm sure are about to hit me with a ding. In at 1 of like 10 schools I applied to ...

celvreal

Postby celvreal » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:48 am

If the seat deposit at your first choice school is due April 15 (a week from today), is there a chance that they'll start admitting people off the waitlist say on the 16th?! :shock:

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:50 am

celvreal wrote:If the seat deposit at your first choice school is due April 15 (a week from today), is there a chance that they'll start admitting people off the waitlist say on the 16th?! :shock:

one shouldn't assign a zero probability to an event unless it is literally impossible

GOOD LUCK FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS

celvreal

Postby celvreal » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:54 pm

Hand wrote:
celvreal wrote:If the seat deposit at your first choice school is due April 15 (a week from today), is there a chance that they'll start admitting people off the waitlist say on the 16th?! :shock:

one shouldn't assign a zero probability to an event unless it is literally impossible

GOOD LUCK FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS

Thanks, Hand! You have literally made my day! *Law of Attraction*

oaktown

Postby oaktown » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:04 pm

oaktown wrote:Applied: Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, NYU, Columbia, Cal, Duke, Georgetown, Penn, Michigan

Waitlisted: Harvard, Duke (Priority), Georgetown, Penn, Michigan, Columbia

Denied: Cal

Still Waiting: Stanford, Chicago, NYU

Updated. Now at 6/7. Killin' it.

JHP

Postby JHP » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:07 pm

I have been wait listed at so many schools that I honestly thought I would get into, and I've been rejected at several for which I thought I had a chance on the wait list.

I felt like this was because schools were wanting to up their GPA averages and medians, since I am seeing many applicants with lower LSATs and higher GPAs getting accepted or wait listed to schools I was wait listed or rejected at, respectively. Of course, I don't know the strength of the rest of their apps, but I honestly thought I had a pretty okay application, so this is all very disappointing.

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmyjustice

Postby jimmyjustice » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:23 pm

Waitlist repeat champion at Columbia. Had a (much?) better LSAT this time around. Wasn't enough to bump off though.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:32 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:I am WL'd at Columbia, Chicago, Penn, UVA, Duke, Michigan, Cornell, GULC, Texas, UCLA, and Vandy, and George Washington

holy shit.

idontknow1

Postby idontknow1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:38 pm

It would be interesting to know what percentage of first deposit applicants eventually go on to make up the entering class. If a school fills up their roster 140/200 before the 15th, they would send out WL offers soon after and fill every spot and be done with it?

I might be thinking about this too much :?

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:57 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

vm18

Postby vm18 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:07 pm

Wow you probably would get the trophy. But it seems like many here are not that far behind...

waitlist: Chicago, UCLA, Penn, Northwestern, Emory

IN at Michigan, but its for the summer start so I don't know how long I can ride out the waitlist at any of the other schools.

ericalynn17

Postby ericalynn17 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:46 pm

8 Applied.

1 Waitlist: Arizona

4 Pending

2 Denied

1 Accepted: Denver

TigerGrad15

Postby TigerGrad15 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:43 pm

WL: Wash. U.
WL: Colorado
WL: SLU

Despite the wide variety, I've been waitlisted by my top three schools. I recently placed a seat deposit at my top "backup" school in order to assure I am enrolled somewhere this fall. As a result, I have formally withdrawn my other acceptance offers. However, I still have yet to hear from one of the Universities I applied. Am I required to withdraw my application from the pending university as part of having submitted a deposit? Any thoughts or considerations would be greatly appreciated.

applicant4321

Postby applicant4321 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:01 pm

TigerGrad15 wrote:WL: Wash. U.
WL: Colorado
WL: SLU

Despite the wide variety, I've been waitlisted by my top three schools. I recently placed a seat deposit at my top "backup" school in order to assure I am enrolled somewhere this fall. As a result, I have formally withdrawn my other acceptance offers. However, I still have yet to hear from one of the Universities I applied. Am I required to withdraw my application from the pending university as part of having submitted a deposit? Any thoughts or considerations would be greatly appreciated.

Nope! You don't have to withdraw from anything if you want to wait it out. All the schools know that the deadline is approaching and everyone is going to be putting down a deposit somewhere by then to be safe.
The deposit is a reservation, not a commitment

BM_1993

Postby BM_1993 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:06 pm

WL: Emory, UC Davis, Boston College
LOCI submitted for all

Pending: BU, Fordham, and Cornell

pancakes

Postby pancakes » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:03 pm

pancakes wrote:Applied 28 (Wasn't sure of my chances so I aimed a little too low, then applied again to better schools)

16/28 Accepted
4/28 Pending
2/28 Denied
6/28 Waitlisted (ASU, William&Mary, UC Davis, Colorado/Boulder (priority&interview), UC Hastings)

Add one more to the waitlist... Wake Forest

Blue0613

Postby Blue0613 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:54 pm

I am an idiot. Please delete.
Last edited by Blue0613 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”