Villanova C/O 2018 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Westofeden

New

Re: Villanova C/O 2018 Applicants

Post by Westofeden » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:34 pm

Accepted students day is Friday, March 27 from 12-7:30. Anyone going?

lcm16

New

Post by lcm16 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:21 pm

Westofeden wrote:Accepted students day is Friday, March 27 from 12-7:30. Anyone going?
I will be!

iChaseH

New

Post by iChaseH » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:12 am

I've been "In Review" since 1/26. I'm visiting them 3-20. I haven't made any real decisions, I'm a bit all over the place. Temple was my top choice, but I'm waitlisted and probably going to wait it out until at least July 1st. I should hear from Nova soon. With the right scholarship I'd consider it. I'm also looking at Case and Dickinson because of some great scholarships, but really I want to end up in Philly. 155 LSAT, 3.6 GPA, Strong softs. If you have any advice or anything else that you want to talk about please feel free...thanks all.

ineedacupofcoffee

New

Post by ineedacupofcoffee » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:25 pm

iChaseH wrote:I've been "In Review" since 1/26. I'm visiting them 3-20. I haven't made any real decisions, I'm a bit all over the place. Temple was my top choice, but I'm waitlisted and probably going to wait it out until at least July 1st. I should hear from Nova soon. With the right scholarship I'd consider it. I'm also looking at Case and Dickinson because of some great scholarships, but really I want to end up in Philly. 155 LSAT, 3.6 GPA, Strong softs. If you have any advice or anything else that you want to talk about please feel free...thanks all.
Practically the same, but 156, 3.5, strong softs. I was also waitlisted at Temple, but admitted into Villanova. Also waitlisted at Penn State. The whole thing makes little sense to be since I was waitlisted at a few T14, but I think I'm just a weird applicant. Hope this helps, feel free to PM me to hear about my softs if you'd like more comparison.

Also in regards to your Temple post, I THINK that Temple could receive more applicants than Villanova because holy crap is Temple's sticker price cheap, especially if you're a resident (which I think only takes a year in PA, correct me if I'm wrong). My home state in state is $25k/yr, out of state $51k/yr, versus Temple's $20k in/$34k out. So I could see people flooding it. Then again, I've heard that Villanova is pretty good with money, so who knows how things can end up.

iChaseH

New

Post by iChaseH » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:38 pm

ineedacupofcoffee wrote:
iChaseH wrote:I've been "In Review" since 1/26. I'm visiting them 3-20. I haven't made any real decisions, I'm a bit all over the place. Temple was my top choice, but I'm waitlisted and probably going to wait it out until at least July 1st. I should hear from Nova soon. With the right scholarship I'd consider it. I'm also looking at Case and Dickinson because of some great scholarships, but really I want to end up in Philly. 155 LSAT, 3.6 GPA, Strong softs. If you have any advice or anything else that you want to talk about please feel free...thanks all.
Practically the same, but 156, 3.5, strong softs. I was also waitlisted at Temple, but admitted into Villanova. Also waitlisted at Penn State. The whole thing makes little sense to be since I was waitlisted at a few T14, but I think I'm just a weird applicant. Hope this helps, feel free to PM me to hear about my softs if you'd like more comparison.

Also in regards to your Temple post, I THINK that Temple could receive more applicants than Villanova because holy crap is Temple's sticker price cheap, especially if you're a resident (which I think only takes a year in PA, correct me if I'm wrong). My home state in state is $25k/yr, out of state $51k/yr, versus Temple's $20k in/$34k out. So I could see people flooding it. Then again, I've heard that Villanova is pretty good with money, so who knows how things can end up.

Very cool. Thanks for the comparison, that really helps. Would you care to share scholarship info on what Villanova gave you? I know that's going to be a huge factor for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

itascot1992

Bronze

Post by itascot1992 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:56 pm

iChaseH wrote:
ineedacupofcoffee wrote:

Very cool. Thanks for the comparison, that really helps. Would you care to share scholarship info on what Villanova gave you? I know that's going to be a huge factor for me.
I would predict between 1/3 to 3/4 tuition scholarship given- probably close 1/2 tuition

itascot1992

Bronze

Post by itascot1992 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Westofeden wrote:
ineedacupofcoffee wrote:75th in both lsat and gpa. Didn't hear back yet about scholarship money though - did anyone else?

Hard to decide between Villanova and Temple though. I think I plan to see what the money looks like.

Same stats and received full tuition last Wednesday. If I decide to stay local I will choose Villanova over Temple.
Why VU over temple out of curiosity?

Westofeden

New

Post by Westofeden » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:41 pm

itascot1992 wrote:
Westofeden wrote:
ineedacupofcoffee wrote:75th in both lsat and gpa. Didn't hear back yet about scholarship money though - did anyone else?

Hard to decide between Villanova and Temple though. I think I plan to see what the money looks like.

Same stats and received full tuition last Wednesday. If I decide to stay local I will choose Villanova over Temple.
Why VU over temple out of curiosity?

For anyone receiving full tuition to either school and wants to pick between one or the other, the differences between the two schools are slim. It really comes down to personal preference. I went to undergrad in the city and I am kind of sick of city life. If I were to go to Villanova I can life at home for free and commute to Villanova no problem; however, I'd hate to commute to Temple and hate even more so to spend $ and live in that area again. I also come from a family of nova law grads (one even within the past year) and they are all doing extremely well for themselves in this area. After doing a ton of reading on both schools I just feel as if Villanova is a better fit for me.

ranger1990

New

Post by ranger1990 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:45 pm

Anyone know if they are still giving out merit based scholarships? I got in 12/16 with a 3.46 and 156, haven't heard about scholly info yet and its getting close to deposit time for other schools

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

itascot1992

Bronze

Post by itascot1992 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:49 am

ranger1990 wrote:Anyone know if they are still giving out merit based scholarships? I got in 12/16 with a 3.46 and 156, haven't heard about scholly info yet and its getting close to deposit time for other schools
I don't know if they still are but it doesn't hurt to email them or call them

ineedacupofcoffee

New

Post by ineedacupofcoffee » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:51 pm

iChaseH wrote:
ineedacupofcoffee wrote:

They didn't get back to me on money yet, but told me that I'll know before the deposit is due. I'm getting very impatient though.

ineedacupofcoffee

New

Post by ineedacupofcoffee » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:52 pm

ranger1990 wrote:Anyone know if they are still giving out merit based scholarships? I got in 12/16 with a 3.46 and 156, haven't heard about scholly info yet and its getting close to deposit time for other schools
They are. I asked them about it when they called me and they told me that I'll hear back before the deposit deadline. They said it's an ongoing process.

tstarkyy

New

Post by tstarkyy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:49 am

I got my acceptance letter on Saturday, but no scholarship info. The letter says the process is still ongoing...but I'm not sure if that means I'm not getting any money or they are still sending it out. Just thought it was weird seeing as I got scholarship from two schools much better ranked than Villanova. Just trying to make my decisions here as deadlines are coming up!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:20 am

Recent Nova grad here, happy to answer any questions.

itascot1992

Bronze

Post by itascot1992 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:05 am

Onion wrote:Recent Nova grad here, happy to answer any questions.
Pm'ed

Jeankim92

New

Post by Jeankim92 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:57 pm

How long did everyone have to wait until they heard from Villanova? My status changed from complete to review on 3/17/2015.

Julien_Benda

New

Post by Julien_Benda » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:08 pm

ineedacupofcoffee wrote:
Does anyone on TLS have weak softs?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kjohns21

New

Post by kjohns21 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:10 pm

So I got my Estimated Financial Aid Award today but that just has federal loans. Does anyone know if this means I won't get any sort of merit scholarship since it wasn't in that letter? 156 LSAT and 3.5 GPA. I've tried contacting financial aid but just get the same answer (it's an ongoing process).

If anyone knows anymore I'd appreciate the input!
Thanks!

ineedacupofcoffee

New

Post by ineedacupofcoffee » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:16 am

kjohns21 wrote:So I got my Estimated Financial Aid Award today but that just has federal loans. Does anyone know if this means I won't get any sort of merit scholarship since it wasn't in that letter? 156 LSAT and 3.5 GPA. I've tried contacting financial aid but just get the same answer (it's an ongoing process).

If anyone knows anymore I'd appreciate the input!
Thanks!
I think it means that you don't have merit, at least not yet. I'm just going off of the fact that mine had merit listed. It's weird that they didn't really give you a straight answer though.

ineedacupofcoffee

New

Post by ineedacupofcoffee » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:18 am

3.5, 156, got 20k/yr. Will be negotiating down further when I visit because I want full. PM for any questions.

CTel92

New

Post by CTel92 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:40 pm

lcm16 wrote:
Westofeden wrote:Accepted students day is Friday, March 27 from 12-7:30. Anyone going?
I will be!
Totally forgot about this site for a while but yeah, I'm going as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dackers123

New

Post by dackers123 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:15 pm

Another recent Villanova grad here. Willing to answer any questions about the school and my impression of life at school and employment prospects.

iChaseH

New

Post by iChaseH » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:46 pm

I am currently still waiting to hear about scholarship information. I was told by the admissions office that if I had a deadline I needed to know by then I should let them know and show proof of that. My deadline is April 15th for other schools, but May 1st for Nova. The issue I am having is if I send the proof into them via e-mail should I use the letter which also states my scholarship from that school or should I choose a different letter without it, but with just the seat deposit date. I plan on negotiating with Nova to acquire an increased scholarship, but I'm not sure if I should throw all my cards out on the table without hearing the initial offer or if I should wait for that offer and then ask for reconsideration and an increased scholarship with the others for leverage. I'm fairly confident Nova will give me 15K-20K, but I need 30K to really make me swing toward them; also, I have 28K and 30K from two school ranked higher than Nova. Thank you for your help!

CTel92

New

Post by CTel92 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:35 pm

dackers123 wrote:Another recent Villanova grad here. Willing to answer any questions about the school and my impression of life at school and employment prospects.
Sent you a PM

CTel92

New

Post by CTel92 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:38 pm

Onion wrote:Recent Nova grad here, happy to answer any questions.
PM'd you as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”