Loyola Law (Los Angeles) c/o 2018

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
idontknow1

Re: Loyola Law (Los Angeles) c/o 2018

Postby idontknow1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:34 pm

KGLaw18 wrote:
pancakes wrote:
KGLaw18 wrote:
pancakes wrote:Okay... so I have to ask. Is anyone else routinely getting the Latino Admit Welcome Day emails??

Just got another one. And a call last week.

lol okay, I wasn't sure if it was more targeted or everyone is getting the emails... my coworkers and I were laughing a little because I'm not Latino.

Oops now that does sound more odd. I actually am...lol. I'm guessing you will NOT be in attendance? :lol:

I received a bunch of invites too and I am not, maybe they want everyone to attend this event?

Drowninmyowntears

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:52 am

whitespider wrote:Anyone hear anything about the full-tuition Deans Scholarship yet? I asked to be considered, but was wondering if they've already starting awarding them. That little extra would definitely make a difference for me with the deadline quickly approaching.

Wow! Wondering if I should submit a scholarship negotiation letter, but I don't have any other offers to bargain with. I currently have the alumni scholarship.

pancakes

Postby pancakes » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:45 am

KGLaw18 wrote:
pancakes wrote:
KGLaw18 wrote:
pancakes wrote:Okay... so I have to ask. Is anyone else routinely getting the Latino Admit Welcome Day emails??

Just got another one. And a call last week.

lol okay, I wasn't sure if it was more targeted or everyone is getting the emails... my coworkers and I were laughing a little because I'm not Latino.

Oops now that does sound more odd. I actually am...lol. I'm guessing you will NOT be in attendance? :lol:

Haha well who knows... But no I don't think I'll be at this one lol

KGLaw18

Postby KGLaw18 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:26 pm

Would anyone who has had success with scholarship negotiation mind PMing me? I'm curious as to who you contacted, how you responded to the Scholarship Response Form, and which other offers were used as leverage. Thanks!

blove99

Postby blove99 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:47 am

Is anyone here going to the Preview Day on the 24th?

KGLaw18

Postby KGLaw18 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:59 pm

blove99 wrote:Is anyone here going to the Preview Day on the 24th?

I will be there!

nci7

Postby nci7 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:07 pm

KGLaw18 wrote:
blove99 wrote:Is anyone here going to the Preview Day on the 24th?

I will be there!

Same here.

gdt

Postby gdt » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:30 am

Last edited by gdt on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GenesisMaryrose

Postby GenesisMaryrose » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:04 pm

I haven't received a response yet. Does anyone have some suggestions? I don't want to come off as too pushy.

I'd appreciate any advice!

Porkypots

Postby Porkypots » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:08 pm

is anyone still waiting for a response from the PT program? also did you guys receive a confirmation email from Loyola, i havent received one.

Drowninmyowntears

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:50 pm

GenesisMaryrose wrote:I haven't received a response yet. Does anyone have some suggestions? I don't want to come off as too pushy.

It's really late in the cycle. I don't think it would seem pushy if you called or emailed and asked.

GenesisMaryrose

Postby GenesisMaryrose » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:47 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:
GenesisMaryrose wrote:I haven't received a response yet. Does anyone have some suggestions? I don't want to come off as too pushy.

It's really late in the cycle. I don't think it would seem pushy if you called or emailed and asked.

Haha ok! Thanks for the advice I'll get in contact with them!

GenesisMaryrose

Postby GenesisMaryrose » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:48 pm

Porkypots wrote:is anyone still waiting for a response from the PT program? also did you guys receive a confirmation email from Loyola, i havent received one.

I applied for the Full Time but I did get a confirmation email the same day I applied. I don't know if it's different for the part time program though!

kokoshes

Postby kokoshes » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:01 pm

Congrats to those who got in and to those who were able to get pretty good/awesome schollies.

Accepted a few months ago. Really disapointed with the scholarship I got. Tried to negotiate - they wouldn't budge. Tried to ask for some other stuff/other aide - wouldn't budge. Pretty close to withdrawing my file at this point.

wildlavender

Postby wildlavender » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:02 pm

Accepted earlier this month. Status checker went to DF and found a package in the mail a few days later. No scholly though, probably due to my low LSAT. Anybody know of any luck calling in with zilch?

whsy

Postby whsy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:26 pm

2L here, willing to answer any questions people might have

l18

Postby l18 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:02 pm

whsy wrote:2L here, willing to answer any questions people might have

Thanks for offering. Most likely going deposit at Loyola this week.

1. Any tips for preparing for the first year?
2. Regarding exams, can you say what you found particularly useful to succeed?
3. Are old exams available to students?
4. Were you able to negotiate if you received a scholarship?
5. Did you get to pick your teachers for 1L and 2L? If so, how did you choose teachers?
6. I am thinking of doing one of the concentrations, any benefits for doing one?
7. I heard a student say Loyola is starting a program to connect samaller firms with the school so that they hire their graduates, have they explained/offered this program to you?

whsy

Postby whsy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:43 pm

l18 wrote:

Thanks for offering. Most likely going deposit at Loyola this week.

1. Any tips for preparing for the first year?
2. Regarding exams, can you say what you found particularly useful to succeed?
3. Are old exams available to students?
4. Were you able to negotiate if you received a scholarship?
5. Did you get to pick your teachers for 1L and 2L? If so, how did you choose teachers?
6. I am thinking of doing one of the concentrations, any benefits for doing one?
7. I heard a student say Loyola is starting a program to connect samaller firms with the school so that they hire their graduates, have they explained/offered this program to you?

1. Know what your studying style is. A lot of pple get sucked into what everyone else is doing. I tried the study group thing, didn't work, I know for some it does, so know your learning style. Don't start outlining too early, outlining is a way (at least for me) to condense everything I've learned and for review. Most importantly, read throughout the semester and take good notes e.g. write down rule, application of rule, policy for some professors
2. Do the old practice exams. Also, would recommend picking up E&Es, supplements. If the professor wrote one, buy that one
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Not for 1L, yes for 2L. A lot of professors teaching 1L also teach 2L electives. I basically picked according to what fits my schedule, what I was interested in, and if I took and liked the professor
6. Not that I know of... it does give you a particular niche, I really don't know that it would make a difference starting out though
7. I was not aware of this, although maybe I just didn't pay attention. However, the school has a huge alumni base, and most are generally willing to mentor students, so I wouldn't be surprised that this is true

l18

Postby l18 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:27 pm

whsy wrote:
1. Know what your studying style is. A lot of pple get sucked into what everyone else is doing. I tried the study group thing, didn't work, I know for some it does, so know your learning style. Don't start outlining too early, outlining is a way (at least for me) to condense everything I've learned and for review. Most importantly, read throughout the semester and take good notes e.g. write down rule, application of rule, policy for some professors
2. Do the old practice exams. Also, would recommend picking up E&Es, supplements. If the professor wrote one, buy that one
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Not for 1L, yes for 2L. A lot of professors teaching 1L also teach 2L electives. I basically picked according to what fits my schedule, what I was interested in, and if I took and liked the professor
6. Not that I know of... it does give you a particular niche, I really don't know that it would make a difference starting out though
7. I was not aware of this, although maybe I just didn't pay attention. However, the school has a huge alumni base, and most are generally willing to mentor students, so I wouldn't be surprised that this is true

Thank you for taking the time to answer, this is very helpful. Slowly getting more excited to start school soon :) Good luck on your finals!

BDD2317

Postby BDD2317 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:32 pm

Any housing advice? From both upperclassmen and alumni, here is the advice I've gathered so far - what are your thoughts on the following?

1.Do not live alone your first year, live with family (not applicable in my situation) or a 2L/3L. Roommates save money, offer advice and support, and can be a friendly face when you are suffering through the 1L year. After 1L, live alone if you wish.
2.Unless you are attached to a specific neighborhood or city in Los Angeles, live as close to campus as possible. I'd say about 85% of the people I talked to say live in DTLA, 10% Silver Lake/Los Feliz and maybe 5% in West Hollywood or out that direction. I've been advised to think of it as Freshman year for undergrad - live in the on-campus dorms (or DTLA in this case) purely for convenience and timeliness. Your 2L and 3L years you can move elsewhere.
3.Drive to school, don't take the train or bus (at least dont RELY on public transportation as your only means.

Again, those are just some points I've heard from various sources. Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

whsy

Postby whsy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:26 pm

BDD2317 wrote:

Any housing advice? From both upperclassmen and alumni, here is the advice I've gathered so far - what are your thoughts on the following?

1.Do not live alone your first year, live with family (not applicable in my situation) or a 2L/3L. Roommates save money, offer advice and support, and can be a friendly face when you are suffering through the 1L year. After 1L, live alone if you wish.
2.Unless you are attached to a specific neighborhood or city in Los Angeles, live as close to campus as possible. I'd say about 85% of the people I talked to say live in DTLA, 10% Silver Lake/Los Feliz and maybe 5% in West Hollywood or out that direction. I've been advised to think of it as Freshman year for undergrad - live in the on-campus dorms (or DTLA in this case) purely for convenience and timeliness. Your 2L and 3L years you can move elsewhere.
3.Drive to school, don't take the train or bus (at least dont RELY on public transportation as your only means.

Again, those are just some points I've heard from various sources. Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Hey, don't know if you're from LA, but it's true, it is hard to get around without a car here. On the other hand, the school does offer shuttles that run from morning to evenings that takes you to from campus to metro . The shuttles also take you to LA live during lunch... but def a car is handy. I'd say there are a lot of commuters here and definitely don't think it's like freshman year of undergrad where everyone lives close by. If you are moving from far though, I would recommend living downtown, LA traffic is awful

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:11 am

Anyone have experience living within 10 blocks or so of the school? I used to live on the western edge of K-Town and never had any problems, but this neighborhood seems significantly more rundown.

Safe for a nondescript young dude?

l18

Postby l18 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:45 am

whitespider wrote:Anyone have experience living within 10 blocks or so of the school? I used to live on the western edge of K-Town and never had any problems, but this neighborhood seems significantly more rundown.

Also wondering this. I live ~13 miles away atm (takes about an hour in traffic), would like to move next to the school for the first year.

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Well folks, just deposited and accepted my scholly. It's official...

Loyola Law Class of 2018. 8)

Looking forward to meeting everyone this fall.

spencercross

Postby spencercross » Fri May 01, 2015 3:19 pm

l18 wrote:
whitespider wrote:Anyone have experience living within 10 blocks or so of the school? I used to live on the western edge of K-Town and never had any problems, but this neighborhood seems significantly more rundown.

Also wondering this. I live ~13 miles away atm (takes about an hour in traffic), would like to move next to the school for the first year.

10 blocks to the east/northeast is City West or DTLA and should be pretty safe. I would avoid going west or south. That takes you into Pico Union, which has some amazing old houses but is a terrible neighborhood. If you can swing just a little farther north, I would totally recommend Historic Filipinotown (which, in the spirit of full disclosure, is where I live). North of Beverly, south of Temple, between Alvarado and Glendale (it technically stretches west to Hoover, but I find that part to be sketchier than east of Alvarado). It's basically southern Echo Park, but more families and less crowded. A ton of USC/Loyola students live in Belmont Station, which is at the southeastern corner of HiFi. I personally find the neighborhood just across the street from that building a little sketchy, but in reality you wouldn't have much reason to go there aside from the beautiful park, which is safe, so you'd likely be fine.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”