What to Expect When You're Expecting Part Two: Class of 2018 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
capricasixx

Silver

Re: What to Expect When You're Expecting Part Two: Class of 2018

Post by capricasixx » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:03 pm

mayorscurvy wrote:
capricasixx wrote:
mayorscurvy wrote:
capricasixx wrote:
mayorscurvy wrote:
capricasixx wrote:Bumping this thread now that more decisions are rolling in. Anyone have intel on some of the lower T1 schools? UW for instance?
Forgive me, but when has UW been considered a lower T1? Just based off of less than expected employment?
Lower T1 as in not T14. I felt I needed to qualify because TLS tends to be so T14-focused.
Fair. Just wondering! And I heard back from UW relatively soon after I submitted (complete in early Jan, heard back end of Jan), but of course they have the infamous scholarship essay. I submitted that weeks ago, haven't heard anything (deadline is March 15).
How did they notify you? Email/mail/phone?
Email at like 6pm PT on a Friday which was bizarre, and a phone call (that I didn't pick up whoops) the next Monday.
Oh, interesting. Now I have justification for obsessively refreshing the status checker at illogical times of day.

frasier

Bronze

Post by frasier » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:15 am

capricasixx wrote:
mayorscurvy wrote:
capricasixx wrote:
mayorscurvy wrote:
capricasixx wrote:
mayorscurvy wrote:
capricasixx wrote:Bumping this thread now that more decisions are rolling in. Anyone have intel on some of the lower T1 schools? UW for instance?
Forgive me, but when has UW been considered a lower T1? Just based off of less than expected employment?
Lower T1 as in not T14. I felt I needed to qualify because TLS tends to be so T14-focused.
Fair. Just wondering! And I heard back from UW relatively soon after I submitted (complete in early Jan, heard back end of Jan), but of course they have the infamous scholarship essay. I submitted that weeks ago, haven't heard anything (deadline is March 15).
How did they notify you? Email/mail/phone?
Email at like 6pm PT on a Friday which was bizarre, and a phone call (that I didn't pick up whoops) the next Monday.
Oh, interesting. Now I have justification for obsessively refreshing the status checker at illogical times of day.

I got a Duke acceptance at ~3pm on a Sunday, FWIW

curiousstudent15

New

Post by curiousstudent15 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:39 am

Does anybody know how to deal with deadlines at schools at which you have an offer and being on waitlist elsewhere? NYU needs my decision by May 1 but I have heard that HLS has people coming off waitlist in Aug. Any advice?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:52 am

curiousstudent15 wrote:Does anybody know how to deal with deadlines at schools at which you have an offer and being on waitlist elsewhere? NYU needs my decision by May 1 but I have heard that HLS has people coming off waitlist in Aug. Any advice?
This is a bizarre necro. But if you're comfortable with attending NYU, deposit there while riding the waitlist at Harvard. You'll end up eating the deposit at NYU if you get off the waitlist at Harvard and decide to go, but that's just how this process works. NYU isn't going to delay your deposit deadline because you're hoping Harvard accepts you via the waitlist.

curiousstudent15

New

Post by curiousstudent15 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:04 am

Did not realize how old this thread was. Thanks! So there are no consequences beyond eating my deposit cost?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:19 am

curiousstudent15 wrote:Did not realize how old this thread was. Thanks! So there are no consequences beyond eating my deposit cost?
Nope, it happens literally every cycle. You're committed to attending NYU until you're not. The reason for the seat deposits is so the admissions people can manage their class size and have reasonable assurance that the admit will be attending. NYU is looking for ~430 (recent class was 431, didn't look beyond that) incoming students. That doesn't mean they'll deride you if you make that number 429 or if they end up with 435 students in a given class. If you drop off NYU because Harvard accepted you, they'll probably accept someone off their waitlist, and if that person takes your spot, great. If that person doesn't accept the offer for whatever reason, they won't be losing any sleep.

tortsilllustrated

New

Post by tortsilllustrated » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:50 pm

from my experience, uva does have status updates?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:11 pm

houstonunc0l

New

Post by houstonunc0l » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:07 am

Hey! This post is the best, so thank you to whomever originally created it.

I made a GoogleDoc version of this for all schools, from HYS to the unranked. If anyone would like to view and/or contribute, please go here! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KILIYA

New

Post by KILIYA » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:34 am

Username123 wrote:Notre Dame's status checker is "complete" for a while and then changes to "decision made"

I received an acceptance email a day or two after the status checker changed.
Not-acceptances: Asha says it will be by mail (thanks, Koala!) at the beginning of the cycle, but by email towards the end. (it appears now to be only by email)

Text-align

New

Post by Text-align » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:53 pm

this is so helpful

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”