UCONN C/O 2018 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ryanct7

New

Re: UCONN C/O 2018 Applicants

Post by ryanct7 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:45 am

Good luck

Law Man

New

Post by Law Man » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:50 pm

Confession time: I am actually a UConn Law Grad, not a candidate. I got on this board because my daughter is a candidate, or was a candidate and I wanted to follow the process.

She got in!

Her situation probably won't be helpful to anyone else since her numbers were pretty good, GPA well above UConn average, and LSAT around 75 %ile for UConn. UConn was the only school she applied to.

I hope you all get in as well!

rebecker

New

Post by rebecker » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:06 pm

Got in via email today! Complete 1/8, Under Review 3/5, Email 3/11

indypup

New

Post by indypup » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:42 am

Also in today via email!

ryanct7

New

Post by ryanct7 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:16 am

Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bl1nds1ght

Bronze

Post by bl1nds1ght » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:29 am

Anyone receive scholarship information yet?
Asking for someone on reddit.

Congrats to those who've been accepted so far and GL to everyone else.

SBUalex

New

Post by SBUalex » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:29 am

Got in yesterday via email. I feel like I kind of shot myself in the foot by not realizing that UConn requests a separate app for Financial Aid consideration, so I didn't get any scholarship offer. Either way, UConn was not a major contender on my list. Every step of their application process has been underwhelming--they hadn't contacted me at all before yesterday and my app was complete in January. I'll probably withdraw.

Good luck to everybody else, and congrats to those who were accepted!

ryanct7

New

Post by ryanct7 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:46 pm

Wait, there is a separate app? I thought they form a committee later in the process to determine allocation of scholarships.

bl1nds1ght

Bronze

Post by bl1nds1ght » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:30 pm

So I'm guessing that no one has received any money yet, in that case?

Financial aid app sounds like it would just be need-based, but I'm just spit-balling. Obviously they're going to give merit aid out to folks with good scores, I would think.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ineedacupofcoffee

New

Post by ineedacupofcoffee » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:54 pm

bl1nds1ght wrote:So I'm guessing that no one has received any money yet, in that case?

Financial aid app sounds like it would just be need-based, but I'm just spit-balling. Obviously they're going to give merit aid out to folks with good scores, I would think.
Haven't heard anything yet. It's taking forever.

SBUalex

New

Post by SBUalex » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:22 pm

I received an email over the weekend telling me that I could find my financial aid info by logging into the NetID system, and that my login info had been sent in a separate email. There was no separate email, so I had to call the Tech Services helpdesk to get my account set up. Anyone else have a similar experience?

shaun06905

New

Post by shaun06905 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:36 pm

SBUalex wrote:I received an email over the weekend telling me that I could find my financial aid info by logging into the NetID system, and that my login info had been sent in a separate email. There was no separate email, so I had to call the Tech Services helpdesk to get my account set up. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Yes. There's a way to set up your Net ID account and password in the system. Unfortunately, it took me 20 minutes to figure out, and I couldn't even tell you how I got to the appropriate place. Very frustrating. I wouldn't have bothered had they made it clear merit information wasn't included.
ineedacupofcoffee wrote:
bl1nds1ght wrote:So I'm guessing that no one has received any money yet, in that case?

Haven't heard anything yet. It's taking forever.
Naturally, I get a personalized email asking to confirm whether I am bringing a guest to the ASW this coming Saturday. Unfortunately, they couldn't devote this time to getting merit scholarships out to us with seat deposits due in 3 weeks. Needless to say I won't be spending my Saturday attending.

SBUalex

New

Post by SBUalex » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:10 pm

shaun06905 wrote:
SBUalex wrote:I received an email over the weekend telling me that I could find my financial aid info by logging into the NetID system, and that my login info had been sent in a separate email. There was no separate email, so I had to call the Tech Services helpdesk to get my account set up. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Yes. There's a way to set up your Net ID account and password in the system. Unfortunately, it took me 20 minutes to figure out, and I couldn't even tell you how I got to the appropriate place. Very frustrating. I wouldn't have bothered had they made it clear merit information wasn't included.
Yes, this system is nightmarishly confusing to work through. My award did include a scholarship called "Tuition Remission," but I don't know if that's a part of what they do for merit based scholarships. I can't imagine (and don't want to believe) that it's the only scholarship money they're going to offer me based on my numbers and other scholly packages I've already received from T1 schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ineedacupofcoffee

New

Post by ineedacupofcoffee » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:41 pm

SBUalex wrote:
shaun06905 wrote:
Yes, this system is nightmarishly confusing to work through. My award did include a scholarship called "Tuition Remission," but I don't know if that's a part of what they do for merit based scholarships. I can't imagine (and don't want to believe) that it's the only scholarship money they're going to offer me based on my numbers and other scholly packages I've already received from T1 schools.
Just got loan offers. I called to clarify, this does not include merit aid. Merit aid offers have not gone out yet. Still.

ineedacupofcoffee

New

Post by ineedacupofcoffee » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:31 pm

Got $3k/yr. The lowest offer I've received from any school, including ones that are much better. What an absolute joke.

SBUalex

New

Post by SBUalex » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:38 am

ineedacupofcoffee wrote:Got $3k/yr. The lowest offer I've received from any school, including ones that are much better. What an absolute joke.
Yep, UConn was my lowest offer, as well. I'm going to send them a reconsideration request...I can imagine it's annoying for them to receive a request less than 24 hours after sending out the scholarship offers, but deposit deadlines are looming. As a born and raised Connecticutian--whose parents and siblings all went to UConn for undergrad and grad school--I must say that I have been very unimpressed by this school throughout the admissions process. The combination of poor communications, lack of scholarship $, and abysmal employment numbers makes it's very unlikely I'll be attending in the fall.

ineedacupofcoffee

New

Post by ineedacupofcoffee » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:12 am

SBUalex wrote:
ineedacupofcoffee wrote:Got $3k/yr. The lowest offer I've received from any school, including ones that are much better. What an absolute joke.
Yep, UConn was my lowest offer, as well. I'm going to send them a reconsideration request...I can imagine it's annoying for them to receive a request less than 24 hours after sending out the scholarship offers, but deposit deadlines are looming. As a born and raised Connecticutian--whose parents and siblings all went to UConn for undergrad and grad school--I must say that I have been very unimpressed by this school throughout the admissions process. The combination of poor communications, lack of scholarship $, and abysmal employment numbers makes it's very unlikely I'll be attending in the fall.
Also a nutmegger with family ties to the school. Honestly, good luck - I gave them my other offers and from where before they even decided on what I would get, thinking we could help each other out. Nope.

I've been reading that Malloy is having to issue significant cuts to funding CT universities, but damn. I'm guessing it's that? Then again, UConn is notoriously stingy in its undergrad as well. Who knows. Either way, I agree with you, I'm reiterating my other offers, and if they don't up it like crazy, I'm withdrawing. Very surprised that living out of state, even with cost of living, will be cheaper than attending UConn and living with my parents.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

slippa

New

Post by slippa » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:27 am

(I'm an applicant's mom) My daughter went to UConn for undergrad and initially applied to their law school this cycle. She was so unimpressed by their obnoxious, rude UConn Law School Advisor (who told her to "apply to Suffolk" because that is where he went) and then found their representatives at the LSAC Boston Forum to be so unfriendly and unwelcoming that she pulled her application in November. They wrote back and asked her 'why' but she didn't bother answering. Since that time she has been accepted to much better schools than UConn with scholarship $$. UConn used to be a great school until they got their current president and it's been all downhill since then.

ryanct7

New

Post by ryanct7 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:58 am

The positivity in this forum is overwhelming!

Wendelsr

New

Post by Wendelsr » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:09 pm

ryanct7 wrote:The positivity in this forum is overwhelming!

Its actually making me nervous.

slippa

New

Post by slippa » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:16 pm

Seriously, I'm not trying to make anyone unnecessarily nervous but do your homework and be sure that you're happy with whatever school you choose. It's a huge decision.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ineedacupofcoffee

New

Post by ineedacupofcoffee » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:39 pm

slippa wrote:(I'm an applicant's mom) My daughter went to UConn for undergrad and initially applied to their law school this cycle. She was so unimpressed by their obnoxious, rude UConn Law School Advisor (who told her to "apply to Suffolk" because that is where he went) and then found their representatives at the LSAC Boston Forum to be so unfriendly and unwelcoming that she pulled her application in November. They wrote back and asked her 'why' but she didn't bother answering. Since that time she has been accepted to much better schools than UConn with scholarship $$. UConn used to be a great school until they got their current president and it's been all downhill since then.
I didn't go to UConn undergrad for this reason, but I guess it was wrong of me to assume that the law school is different. Also, I agree, Susan is the WORST president.

Law Man

New

Post by Law Man » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:11 am

As I said previously, I am a UConn Law Grad. I didn't mention that I also went undergrad to the University of Pennsylvania, or that I have now been practicing law for 34 years quite successfully.

My daughter was accepted to UConn Law, and my son is just finishing up and about to take the bar. UConn was the only law school either of them applied to.

My daughter went to the accepted student reception and unfortunately met some whiners like those who are posting here. I strongly urge all of you who believe you are too good for UConn to go to some other school. We truly don't need you.

And if you are thinking that going to law schools such as Boston College or Boston University or other such schools (I don't mean to pick on any single school) will give you a great advantage that UConn won't, you are deluding yourself. Unless you get into an Ivy League school or some other truly great law school (maybe there are 10 or 15 of them in the country) you are not elite yourself, and where you go to law school probably won't make that much difference. A huge number of people in my class DID get into the top law firms, and DID get great jobs. Yes, that was a while ago, but I have no reason to believe that is not still true.

Those of you who are complaining about not getting enough money ought to start comparing UConn's normal tuition with that of some of the other schools. I think you could probably get $20k or $30k per year from some schools and still be left with more to pay than you would have to pay getting nothing or $3k from UConn. I guess math has never been most lawyers' strong suit.

Anyway, as an alum I sincerely hope we get a more positive group of 1Ls than I have seen here.

ryanct7

New

Post by ryanct7 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:24 am

Amen. UConn is the only school I want to attend. I considered some others, but I want to be a Husky. I went to CCSU instead of UConn for undergrad because my family needed me closer to home.. So the criticism, besides coming off as extremely petty, is simply obnoxious.

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:45 am

Law Man wrote:As I said previously, I am a UConn Law Grad. I didn't mention that I also went undergrad to the University of Pennsylvania, or that I have now been practicing law for 34 years quite successfully.

A huge number of people in my class DID get into the top law firms, and DID get great jobs. Yes, that was a while ago, but I have no reason to believe that is not still true.
Sir, I'm sorry but I don't believe your experience is representative of situation surrounding today's market. I am well acquainted with UConn Law and know many people graduating/who have RECENTLY graduated. MANY do not have jobs or struggled/are struggling to find something halfway acceptable as employment. That's the reality of the situation now. I also know people who got top grades and ended up with great jobs...but the vast majority of applicants will NOT have top grades.

Congrats to your son for graduating - does he have a job lined up?

I passed up UConn with a full ride for this reason, and I'm happy I did. I'm not saying that UConn isn't a nice school - it is, and I seriously considered it. But, like any other low-ranked school, it's a huge gamble.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”