Santa Clara School of Law c/o 2018 Applicants (2014/2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Tumbleweed08

Re: Santa Clara School of Law c/o 2018 Applicants (2014/2015)

Postby Tumbleweed08 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:13 pm

In yesterday via e-mail! My first acceptance! Weeee!

The application status checker still says "In Committee" though... don't know what that's about...

Good luck to everyone waiting!

maiden42

Postby maiden42 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:01 pm

Got an acceptance email 2/18/15, waiting to receive package via snail mail. I live in Southern California.

Tumbleweed08

Postby Tumbleweed08 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:12 pm

maiden42 wrote:Got an acceptance email 2/18/15, waiting to receive package via snail mail. I live in Southern California.

Congrats!

Tumbleweed08

Postby Tumbleweed08 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Tumbleweed08 wrote:In yesterday via e-mail! My first acceptance! Weeee!

The application status checker still says "In Committee" though... don't know what that's about...

Good luck to everyone waiting!

By the way, my status checker FINALLY says "admitted"... 5 days later lol

maiden42

Postby maiden42 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:22 am

Who is considering going here? Any general thoughts? For IP?

shawn1234

Postby shawn1234 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:38 am

Last edited by shawn1234 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

miamiri

Postby miamiri » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:56 pm

Thank You for sharing your story! I am on the fence for sure.
What I do not understand is how you were able to transfer to a top 20 school with your GPA? If your scholarship got taken away you were under 3.0 GPA and at UCLA for example the incoming transfers' 25th percentile 1L GPA was 3.44. Confusing, but good to know it is easier to transfer up than I thought.

Thanks again!

maiden42

Postby maiden42 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:20 pm

shawn1234 wrote:hate to be a downer. .

That was tough to read. It will make me re-consider. Thank you for posting this.

miamiri

Postby miamiri » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:39 pm

maiden42 wrote:
shawn1234 wrote:hate to be a downer. .

That was tough to read. It will make me re-consider. Thank you for posting this.

Sure, it was tough to read. I am on the fence too but would not change my mind based on one very one sided opinion. I caution you when someone is so biased in one direction. It is one persons point of view. To demonstrate:
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRat ... id=1190335

These people diverge wildly in their evaluations. Go meet people at Santa Clara, talk to the professors and the students you see and admission officers as well as contact former students now working. I did it all and I was very impressed and did not think anyone was disinterested.

I agree that it is good to have another perspective because I want to evaluate carefully and not throw money at a project that is likely failing. So for this reason I am thankful for this personal story. I will have to do some more digging before I attend here, if i do.

BTW: I talked to several 2L students who were not IP who were happy and were bright individuals. I also talked to a research attorney who went here and who says she enjoyed it and that the professors were great and that she had a job right away and now is working in a job she is happy with. I saw many good signs.

Cheers to a balanced approach.

lizzielemon

Postby lizzielemon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:41 pm

Just withdrew. Goodluck to others!

shawn1234

Postby shawn1234 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:12 pm

shawn1234

Postby shawn1234 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:40 pm

miamiri

Postby miamiri » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:54 pm

:D
Last edited by miamiri on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cal2013

Postby cal2013 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:16 pm

Sure, it was tough to read. I am on the fence too but would not change my mind based on one very one sided opinion. I caution you when someone is so biased in one direction. It is one persons point of view. To demonstrate:

These people diverge wildly in their evaluations. Go meet people at Santa Clara, talk to the professors and the students you see and admission officers as well as contact former students now working. I did it all and I was very impressed and did not think anyone was disinterested.

I agree that it is good to have another perspective because I want to evaluate carefully and not throw money at a project that is likely failing. So for this reason I am thankful for this personal story. I will have to do some more digging before I attend here, if i do.

BTW: I talked to several 2L students who were not IP who were happy and were bright individuals. I also talked to a research attorney who went here and who says she enjoyed it and that the professors were great and that she had a job right away and now is working in a job she is happy with. I saw many good signs.

Like I said man, there are plenty of people for whom this school is perfect. If that applies to you, awesome. The feedback you've gotten is positive, fantastic. I shared my opinion - is by no means "the right" opinion - it is just my opinion, and there are plenty of others. The employment stats do not lie, and it isn't just SCU, it is across the board. And, as far as your "cheers to a balanced approach" comment, I completely agree, so maybe a good idea would be to speak to not only those who had or are having a "great" experience, but those who aren't/ didn't, and find out why. Good luck with whatever decision you all make.

I am not a man. I am a woman. Also, I am trying to talk to someone with a negative experience, namely you. You are not willing to answer my questions though as opposed to all the others I talked to who had a positive view. So you not being willing to answer any questions I may have to help me decide, as you say you want to accomplish, tells me you might not be very sincere. Also, advising someone to just say they forgot in responding to how to handle omitting an undergrad school on your law school app is far from alright. Are you even attending any law school?

I was casually reading this thread and thought the tone was perfectly fine, until your comment (especially the bolded text). That was completely unnecessary. The person you replied to was being perfectly respectful and was giving valuable advice as someone with first hand experience.

lizzielemon

Postby lizzielemon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:28 pm

cal2013 wrote:

Like I said man, there are plenty of people for whom this school is perfect. If that applies to you, awesome. The feedback you've gotten is positive, fantastic. I shared my opinion - is by no means "the right" opinion - it is just my opinion, and there are plenty of others. The employment stats do not lie, and it isn't just SCU, it is across the board. And, as far as your "cheers to a balanced approach" comment, I completely agree, so maybe a good idea would be to speak to not only those who had or are having a "great" experience, but those who aren't/ didn't, and find out why. Good luck with whatever decision you all make.

I am not a man. I am a woman. Also, I am trying to talk to someone with a negative experience, namely you. You are not willing to answer my questions though as opposed to all the others I talked to who had a positive view. So you not being willing to answer any questions I may have to help me decide, as you say you want to accomplish, tells me you might not be very sincere. Also, advising someone to just say they forgot in responding to how to handle omitting an undergrad school on your law school app is far from alright. Are you even attending any law school?

I was casually reading this thread and thought the tone was perfectly fine, until your comment (especially the bolded text). That was completely unnecessary. The person you replied to was being perfectly respectful and was giving valuable advice as someone with first hand experience.

+1

miamiri

Postby miamiri » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:43 pm

:!:
Last edited by miamiri on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miamiri

Postby miamiri » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:53 pm

lizzielemon wrote:Just withdrew. Goodluck to others!

why are you withdrawing from your #1 choice?

PropaneAccessories

Postby PropaneAccessories » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:57 pm

Oh dear god, thank you! I just received my February LSAT score this evening and, barring something egregious on my application, I feel very confident about my prospects with Santa Clara.

shawn1234

Postby shawn1234 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:51 am

Last edited by shawn1234 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

miamiri

Postby miamiri » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:44 pm

shawn1234 wrote:
lizzielemon wrote:
cal2013 wrote:

+1

Thanks to "cal2013" and "lizzielemon" for the posts. As cal2013 said, just trying to give some advice, that's it. I went to SCU, and yes, if you read my posts, I am now enrolled at a (very good) law school, in my second year. I haven't logged on to this website in over a year, and did just to look at some 2L summer job posts. Apologies for not knowing your gender. I didn't take the time to look at your profile, and honestly, don't care what your gender is - the advice is the same. As an FYI, the phrase "like I said man" is just a phrase and doesn't always refer to the gender of the person whom you're addressing, e.g, "Man, what a great movie". Lastly, the multiple PM's and demands for an answer are creepy. If you end up going to law school, even SCU, you will find out that it is a non-stop grind, and if your day ends before 10pm, you consider yourself lucky. Again, like cal2013 said, all I tried to do was share my experience, and to say that a lot of you a probably very talented, and SMART, so don't SETTLE - shoot for your number one and demand that you get the best law school education available to YOU. I did, and couldn't be happier. Last post in this forum for me, but happy to answer PM questions for people who, like "cal2013" and "lizzielemon" can simply appreciate an opinion, and respectfully "TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT".

Thank you! I appreciate your opinion. Never said otherwise. I just said it's very biased and also it is not really for this thread. Still, thank you for taking the time to let us know. It is a tough choice. I believe I sent one PM. Sorry it bothered you. Did not mean to.

UselessKnowledge

Postby UselessKnowledge » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:02 pm

How long did it take you guys to get scholarship info after receiving the acceptance email?

PrizeFighter

Postby PrizeFighter » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:04 pm

PrizeFighter wrote:
miamiri wrote:
lizzielemon wrote:How long did it take everyone who got accepted to receive scholarship info? Did it come via email/snail mail? Thanks!!

I got my scholarship info in a letter (snail) I received about two days after the admitted email. Then, about 3-4 more days later I got another letter (snail) which stated the scholarship stipulations. (you most likely need to maintain a 3.0 GPA to continue receiving the award the following years.

M

Same.

Tumbleweed08

Postby Tumbleweed08 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:14 pm

UselessKnowledge wrote:How long did it take you guys to get scholarship info after receiving the acceptance email?

I got my letter (with scholarship info included) a little over a week after the email.

Email - 2/19/15
Status Checker - 2/25/15
Letter - 2/28/15

tkim88

Postby tkim88 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:23 pm

Just as a positive follow up to all the negative discussion in here, Santa Clara is a great school, not only for IP. I have several friends who matriculated, and are now working in big law at firms like Quinn and Kirkland as well as smaller, boutique firms making $160K+ per/year. I think your experience is what you make of it and how much effort you put into it, and I think it's unfair to the rest of the forum community to insert such a negative piece that is so clearly skewed.

ub3r

Postby ub3r » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:38 pm

tkim88 wrote:Just as a positive follow up to all the negative discussion in here, Santa Clara is a great school, not only for IP. I have several friends who matriculated, and are now working in big law at firms like Quinn and Kirkland as well as smaller, boutique firms making $160K+ per/year. I think your experience is what you make of it and how much effort you put into it, and I think it's unfair to the rest of the forum community to insert such a negative piece that is so clearly skewed.

Where did they finish in the class? Are we talking median or top 5%?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”