Santa Clara School of Law c/o 2018 Applicants (2014/2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
miamiri

Bronze

Re: Santa Clara School of Law c/o 2018 Applicants (2014/2015)

Post by miamiri » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:28 pm

tkim88 wrote:Just as a positive follow up to all the negative discussion in here, Santa Clara is a great school, not only for IP. I have several friends who matriculated, and are now working in big law at firms like Quinn and Kirkland as well as smaller, boutique firms making $160K+ per/year. I think your experience is what you make of it and how much effort you put into it, and I think it's unfair to the rest of the forum community to insert such a negative piece that is so clearly skewed.
+1
Thank You. What I was trying to say. It really helps to go visit w professors and talk w the students you run into on campus...so far so good for me. Glad this is balanced out now :-)

goldenstatewarriors

New

Post by goldenstatewarriors » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:28 pm

Roughly how long did it take for most people to get a decision after their application went complete?

Tumbleweed08

New

Post by Tumbleweed08 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:41 pm

goldenstatewarriors wrote:Roughly how long did it take for most people to get a decision after their application went complete?
Submitted 2/1
Complete 2/6
Admitted via email 2/19
Status checker change 2/25
Letter w/ $$ info 2/28

UselessKnowledge

New

Post by UselessKnowledge » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:34 pm

Submitted and Complete 01/28
Admitted via email 02/27
Status checker change 02/27
Still waiting on package in the mail

cal2013

Bronze

Post by cal2013 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:51 pm

goldenstatewarriors wrote:Roughly how long did it take for most people to get a decision after their application went complete?
2 days

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JD Walters

New

Post by JD Walters » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:01 pm

Has anyone here been admitted into the part-time program?

I submitted 1/31 but just went to "in committee" this week after my second LSAT score was released. I can't tell on LSN who is PT vs. Full time and whether there has been a different time frame for PT.

PropaneAccessories

New

Post by PropaneAccessories » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:41 pm

JD Walters wrote:Has anyone here been admitted into the part-time program?

I submitted 1/31 but just went to "in committee" this week after my second LSAT score was released. I can't tell on LSN who is PT vs. Full time and whether there has been a different time frame for PT.
I applied for the PT program and had my application sent to the committee this week as well.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:09 pm

tkim88 wrote:Just as a positive follow up to all the negative discussion in here, Santa Clara is a great school, not only for IP. I have several friends who matriculated, and are now working in big law at firms like Quinn and Kirkland as well as smaller, boutique firms making $160K+ per/year. I think your experience is what you make of it and how much effort you put into it, and I think it's unfair to the rest of the forum community to insert such a negative piece that is so clearly skewed.
Law school success is not based off what you make of it and though effort helps, it's not guaranteed. I don't think it's unfair or clearly skewed that one person posted his one negative experience. For ever friend you have who are working biglaw, there are 9 who aren't. Only 50% of last year's class were employed as lawyers. The employment numbers don't lie. Someone from my HS graduated with a JD/MBA above median and after 2 years of unsuccessful job searching (sporadically employed doing doc review but after a certain amount of time the stink of unemployment doesn't wash off regardless of how positive and diligent you are), is studying for the MCATs.

Also, by and large, the professors at every law school are absolutely qualified to teach and whatever "terrible" professor one encounters is just part of the natural distribution of people. There are lazy professors at every law school - even HYS.

As far as "being a good lawyer" goes, I don't think a Harvard graduate necessarily is a better lawyer than a Santa Clara grad or some other school. The problem is there are only half as many jobs out there as graduates, so how do you choose? A higher tiered school is a signal so employers don't have to waste resources in deciding which candidate is better.

I hope I didn't come off as mean or judgmental.

miamiri

Bronze

Post by miamiri » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:51 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Law school success is not based off what you make of it and though effort helps, it's not guaranteed. I don't think it's unfair or clearly skewed that one person posted his one negative experience. For ever friend you have who are working biglaw, there are 9 who aren't. Only 50% of last year's class were employed as lawyers. The employment numbers don't lie. Someone from my HS graduated with a JD/MBA above median and after 2 years of unsuccessful job searching (sporadically employed doing doc review but after a certain amount of time the stink of unemployment doesn't wash off regardless of how positive and diligent you are), is studying for the MCATs.

Also, by and large, the professors at every law school are absolutely qualified to teach and whatever "terrible" professor one encounters is just part of the natural distribution of people. There are lazy professors at every law school - even HYS.

As far as "being a good lawyer" goes, I don't think a Harvard graduate necessarily is a better lawyer than a Santa Clara grad or some other school. The problem is there are only half as many jobs out there as graduates, so how do you choose? A higher tiered school is a signal so employers don't have to waste resources in deciding which candidate is better.

What you are saying does not conflict with the statement "it is what you make of it" you might have to work harder here than there but in the end it is what you make of it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tkim88

Bronze

Post by tkim88 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:58 am

pancakes3 wrote:

Don't really see the point of this thread. Everyone is reading these forums to learn when people's applications are complete and when we can expect to hear back, and I think the majority are not idiots. It's pretty annoying to have to filter through these long winded, negative posts. Applicants can evaluate their own options and figure out what's best.

If you have something bad to say, move it to the ding bar.

miamiri

Bronze

Post by miamiri » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:05 am

tkim88 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:

Don't really see the point of this thread. Everyone is reading these forums to learn when people's applications are complete and when we can expect to hear back, and I think the majority are not idiots. It's pretty annoying to have to filter through these long winded, negative posts. Applicants can evaluate their own options and figure out what's best.

If you have something bad to say, move it to the ding bar.
This.

PropaneAccessories

New

Post by PropaneAccessories » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:16 pm

To anyone who has received a decision:

Did your status checker update to reflect two new categories, specifically "Decision Status" and "Decision Status Date"? Either the layout of the status checker page was re-arranged for display on my phone, or those two categories are new. I cannot recall having seen them prior to today.

IPlaw09

New

Post by IPlaw09 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:24 pm

Went complete on 2/1. It has been "in committee" since then....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PropaneAccessories

New

Post by PropaneAccessories » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:21 pm

IPlaw09 wrote:Went complete on 2/1. It has been "in committee" since then....
So are you not seeing "Decision Status" and "Decision Status Date"? Mine says "In Committee" as well, but like I said, I believe that the decision categories appeared recently if you can confirm that you're not seeing them on your status checker, then I have a feeling that the decision on my application is close to being revealed.

...which makes me extremely nervous, ha.

JD Walters

New

Post by JD Walters » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:00 pm

PropaneAccessories wrote:
IPlaw09 wrote:Went complete on 2/1. It has been "in committee" since then....
So are you not seeing "Decision Status" and "Decision Status Date"? Mine says "In Committee" as well, but like I said, I believe that the decision categories appeared recently if you can confirm that you're not seeing them on your status checker, then I have a feeling that the decision on my application is close to being revealed.

...which makes me extremely nervous, ha.
Sounds like yours is similar to mine... it changed at some point between Friday and this afternoon. The boxes are rearranged and I have the "Decision Status" and "Decision Status Date" now too.

I'm hoping this is a good thing!

JD Walters

New

Post by JD Walters » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:02 pm

I spoke too soon. I just looked at my other status checker sites and all of the layouts have changed (all look the same as my SCU one).

PropaneAccessories

New

Post by PropaneAccessories » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:13 pm

JD Walters wrote:I spoke too soon. I just looked at my other status checker sites and all of the layouts have changed (all look the same as my SCU one).

Ha, alright. Glad to know that this seems to be a larger change. LSAC maintains the backend of status checkers for nearly every school, and they did take it offline this morning to conduct maintenance, so I think this was part of a larger formatting change.

I started getting really nervous, as the "1st Deposit", "2nd Deposit", and "Final Deposit" categories in the Fees section disappeared after having been there from the beginning. I sat back and was like "Oh great, this means I'm getting rejected."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PropaneAccessories

New

Post by PropaneAccessories » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:30 pm

Did any of you who are waiting on a decision hear anything today?

JD Walters

New

Post by JD Walters » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:32 pm

PropaneAccessories wrote:Did any of you who are waiting on a decision hear anything today?

I'm still waiting.

PropaneAccessories

New

Post by PropaneAccessories » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:36 pm

This has been me at work all day: http://i.imgur.com/Qal71ZA.png

I figured I'd drop in and check this thread, but since it has been a little quiet, I figured a little prodding may get some of you all to pipe up again.
Last edited by PropaneAccessories on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JD Walters

New

Post by JD Walters » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:41 pm

PropaneAccessories wrote:This has been me at work all day, haha.

http://i.imgur.com/Qal71ZA.png
haha! I've gone through my list of status checkers at least 5 or 6 times already.

Do you think it will be this week?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PropaneAccessories

New

Post by PropaneAccessories » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:45 pm

I hope so, but only time will tell. Knowing sooner would make life easier as far as the logistics of moving across the country and getting setup at my company's office in the Bay Area.

Btw, glad to see another PT applicant on here!

JD Walters

New

Post by JD Walters » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:58 pm

Wow! That's awesome how supportive they are (joking or not about talking to SCU)!

I hope SCU wants to process all the applications they have so far before what I imagine would be a rush of new ones coming in with the deadline approaching this weekend.

JD Walters

New

Post by JD Walters » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:00 pm

PropaneAccessories wrote:I hope so, but only time will tell. Knowing sooner would make life easier as far as the logistics of moving across the country and getting setup at my company's office in the Bay Area.

Btw, glad to see another PT applicant on here!
Likewise :D

PropaneAccessories

New

Post by PropaneAccessories » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3etXUOY_YE

The official theme song for those of us who are still waiting to hear from Santa Clara.

The tone of this thread needs to be lightened up given the spat that two posters had a few pages back regarding SCU Law. I'm in a holding pattern at the moment in my office, so why not give everyone a laugh?

C'mon Santa Clara. Be the Rufus to my Chaka Khan and tell me somethin' good! :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”