Pitt Law c/o 2018

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nlm70390

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby nlm70390 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:19 pm

Got an e-mail that the Semester in DC email was sent in error and that my app is still under review. :/ the waiting continues...

cal2013

Postby cal2013 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:42 pm

nlm70390 wrote:Got an e-mail that the Semester in DC email was sent in error and that my app is still under review. :/ the waiting continues...

Same here. Awkward.

CADC15

Postby CADC15 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:18 pm

I logged into the status checker today -- Accepted! It's a bit of a relief after their recent email debacle. I hope the rest of you are hearing back soon as well!

nlm70390

Postby nlm70390 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:21 pm

^Congrats! I was accepted too. :) I think they must be moving things along after the e-mail error as well.

cal2013

Postby cal2013 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:38 pm

nlm70390 wrote:Got an e-mail that the Semester in DC email was sent in error and that my app is still under review. :/ the waiting continues...

Still haven't heard back since that debacle.

ineedacupofcoffee

Postby ineedacupofcoffee » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:06 pm

cal2013 wrote:

Same.

CADC15

Postby CADC15 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:05 pm

ineedacupofcoffee wrote:
cal2013 wrote:

Same.

Maybe now would be an excellent opportunity to submit a letter of continued interest. Really can't hurt.

thereelfeels

Postby thereelfeels » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:20 pm

Another Pitt Law student here ready to answer questions about the school, the city, financial aid, etc. Best of luck to you all - hadn't heard of the admissions snafu with the D.C. Semester email, sorry to hear of it.

Pequod

Postby Pequod » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:55 pm

Last edited by Pequod on Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:05 pm

Pequod wrote:
thereelfeels wrote:Another Pitt Law student here ready to answer questions about the school, the city, financial aid, etc. Best of luck to you all - hadn't heard of the admissions snafu with the D.C. Semester email, sorry to hear of it.

Thanks for taking questions! I have a couple...

1) What percent of law students would you say have cars? I did some undergrad at Pitt and I did not bring a car, but I also really didn't go anywhere off campus. Would you say a car is necessary/much better for clinics, internships, etc.?

2) What year are you? Anything stick out to you about how peers are faring in the job hunt? OCI?

2013 grad here, so my perspective will be a bit different.

1) I can't really guess a %, but I would imagine it is quite high. You can get places you need to go without one, and I knew people who did, but there are places that are just annoying to get to without one. Assuming you live in one of the go-to neighborhoods (shadyside, squirrel hill, Oakland, etc.) you won't need one to get to class. Depending on where you end up, internship-wise, it could be helpful to have a car - or not. My 1L summer I was downtown, so I didn't use my car for that. My 2L summer, I was in Latrobe, which is 40 miles each way. For that, a car helped a little.

2) I can only speak to 2013 grads, and the numbers for us are published, so my anecdata isn't even especially helpful. http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/pitt/

Pequod

Postby Pequod » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:20 pm

Last edited by Pequod on Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thereelfeels

Postby thereelfeels » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:41 pm

Pequod wrote:
thereelfeels wrote:Another Pitt Law student here ready to answer questions about the school, the city, financial aid, etc. Best of luck to you all - hadn't heard of the admissions snafu with the D.C. Semester email, sorry to hear of it.

Thanks for taking questions! I have a couple...

1) What percent of law students would you say have cars? I did some undergrad at Pitt and I did not bring a car, but I also really didn't go anywhere off campus. Would you say a car is necessary/much better for clinics, internships, etc.?

2) What year are you? Anything stick out to you about how peers are faring in the job hunt? OCI?

Absolutely. To answer the first, I can't put a definitive percentage on it but I know most of my classmates either walk, bike or take the bus to class. There are a few who drive, but the number seems pretty small. If you live in one of the neighborhoods law students tend to live in (the East End, generally), you don't really need a car to get to and from class. Your Pitt ID counts as a bus pass, so you can get most places easily. The clinic offices are, to my knowledge, across the street from the law school so I don't think that presents a transportation issue. Similarly, a lot of jobs are downtown and most I know commute by bus either to jobs during the school year, during the summer and for networking events. The only reason you'd really NEED a car is if you get a job in Southpointe; it's a business park about 30-35 minutes south of the city where a lot of natural gas drilling companies are headquartered - consequently, a lot of firms who specialize in oil and gas law are located there, as well. So, short answer is: it depends. I have one, and find that I rarely use it - even when I do use it, it's for convenience rather than necessity.

To answer the second, I'm a 2L who somewhat went through the OCI process. From what I can recall of the employers, firms like Reed Smith, K&L Gates, Buchanan Ingersoll, Jones Day, etc. will interview somewhere between the top 10-15% of the class - from there, I know of a number of people who secured SA positions at those types of firms through OCI. Similarly, a number of large Philadelphia firms will interview the top 15-20% during the school's Philadelphia Interview Day, held in Center City. If you're looking for Philadelphia Biglaw, it's possible but you make it much easier on yourself if you're in the top 10-15% as we just don't have as many Philly firms doing OCI as Temple and Villanova do. There are a number of Pittsburgh mid-size firms or firms with mid-size Pittsburgh offices - Clark Hill, Burns White, Cohen & Grigsby, Dickie McCamey, Morgan Lewis, Saul Ewing, etc. - who pull from OCI, but even then only the top third or so will get screeners. Overall though, things seem relatively optimistic for those in the top half of the class - a lot of folks are interested in state or federal government agencies (where we place surprisingly well in D.C. from what I can tell) or the nonprofit side of things. Other than that, the LST page tells most of the story - I haven't read tea leaves about the C/O 2014 employment numbers, but we've finally had our Career Services offices settle down with a few years under their belts, and they've added two new people in the past year so it sounds optimistic.

drs36

Postby drs36 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:57 pm

2014 Grad

I'll echo that you don't NEED a car, but it is really inconvenient not to have one. Getting from shadyside to southside on a bus is a pain in the ass. Though, now that Pgh has Uber/Lyft, you can use those and won't need a car. I think a very high percentage of my class had a car.

Pro tip: if you live outside of a reasonable bus-trip/walk to campus, park in between Oakland and the Hot Metal Bridge (Southside) or Uptown. Parking is free and you can hop on a 1 minute bus ride to campus/downtown, which is also free with student ID.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:44 pm

Employment-wise, it is probably worth mentioning that Pitt's entering class size was 103 smaller for the entering class of 2014 than it was for my entering class of 2010.

Pequod

Postby Pequod » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:09 pm

Last edited by Pequod on Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proctor_right_in_the

Post removed.

Postby proctor_right_in_the » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:20 am

Post removed.
Last edited by proctor_right_in_the on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:14 am

proctor_right_in_the wrote:I've wanted to go to Pitt Law since I was a kid... but spent the last ten years bumming around the beaches of socal, and have only recently started to pursue that dream in any meaningful way. My Feb LSAT is right at the median. I definitely couldn't (wouldn't) do full sticker, but... it's still far and away my first choice.

Hoping things work out. Thinking about retaking in June to bring that median LSAT up to 75th range. I'll be applying early for next cycle.

It may interest you to know that when I was admitted, I had an LSAT and GPA dead on the medians for the prior year's accepted class, and I got about 8k/yr. I also managed in-state tuition for 2L and 3L. Obviously more $$$ is better, but Pitt is willing to negotiate.

proctor_right_in_the

Post removed.

Postby proctor_right_in_the » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:19 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by proctor_right_in_the on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thereelfeels

Postby thereelfeels » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:06 pm

proctor_right_in_the wrote:
Dr. Review wrote:
CM3809 wrote:Anyone know if Pitt is open to scholarship negotiation? I received a decent merit scholarship, but I have full-tuition offers from Temple, Penn State, and Duquesne

I don't know if it has changed since then, but most TLSers from my cycle at Pitt had good success getting additional $$ from Pitt through negotiations. Even students with median numbers got in the range of 8k/yr. Pitt tends to spread the money around more than other places, though. As a result, there are fewer (if any) full-tuition scholarships.

If the choice is between Duquesne for free and Pitt at half cost, I might be inclined to do Duqesne for free.

I've wanted to go to Pitt Law since I was a kid... but spent the last ten years bumming around the beaches of socal, and have only recently started to pursue that dream in any meaningful way. My Feb LSAT is right at the median. I definitely couldn't (wouldn't) do full sticker, but... it's still far and away my first choice.

Hoping things work out. Thinking about retaking in June to bring that median LSAT up to 75th range. I'll be applying early for next cycle.

Pitt is definitely willing to negotiate with scholarships, speaking from experience. I don't think I'd encourage you to apply for priority if you're at the medians, but if you bump that LSAT up you're definitely a solid scholarship candidate. When I was applying, a 160+ on the LSAT and a ~3.4 guaranteed you at least a $10,000/year scholarship, but I'm not sure if that's changed in the past two years, and I know a number of people who were around median who got similar numbers. I can say with some certainty that they've increased scholarship money in the last year or so.

If I may ask, why specifically Pitt Law since you were a kid? Are you originally from the Pittsburgh area?

proctor_right_in_the

Post removed.

Postby proctor_right_in_the » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:58 pm

Post removed.

yannao

Postby yannao » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:44 pm

UR since 3/3.. has anyone had any updates this month?

cal2013

Postby cal2013 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:23 pm

yannao wrote:UR since 3/3.. has anyone had any updates this month?

Silence. UR since 2/2. Only school I haven't heard from yet.

ineedacupofcoffee

Postby ineedacupofcoffee » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:57 pm

Did anyone hear anything back yet? This is literally the last school I'm waiting on.

yannao

Postby yannao » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:04 pm

ineedacupofcoffee wrote:Did anyone hear anything back yet? This is literally the last school I'm waiting on.

Nope. But thats on par with my overall situation.. still waiting on 12 schools.. hopefully we hear by tomorrow?

CM3809

Postby CM3809 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:05 pm

I emailed Pitt a scholarship reconsideration request about 4 weeks ago. Still no word back from them yet. Anyone in a similar situation?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”