Pitt Law c/o 2018

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
knabla
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:53 am

Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby knabla » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:02 pm

I didn't see one of these for University of Pittsburgh so I figured I'd get it started! I am a current 3L at Pitt Law and would be more than happy to answer any questions about the school or the city. I hope the admission process is going well for everyone!

kms181
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:04 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby kms181 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:07 am

Checking in. Complete application 11/17 and went under review 12/8. Still haven't heard much. Is Pitt generous with scholarship/financial aid?

Tot12Tator
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:58 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby Tot12Tator » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:41 pm

Under Review as of 1/4/15.

knabla
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:53 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby knabla » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:09 pm

kms181 wrote:Checking in. Complete application 11/17 and went under review 12/8. Still haven't heard much. Is Pitt generous with scholarship/financial aid?


The nice thing is that Pitt includes scholarship awards in their acceptance packet so you know right away what you are getting and can easily compare to other schools. In my experience (from my own scholarship and what I've heard from classmates), if you get a scholarship it is a decent amount to very generous. That being said, there are people who get nothing. Pitt bases scholarships off GPA, LSAT, and life experience so you may get more than you would think.

kms181
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:04 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby kms181 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:03 pm

Has anyone heard back from Pitt? I need to make some decisions and am dying to know...been 2 months since submitted.

BillsFan9907
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby BillsFan9907 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:21 pm

I applied to Pitt. Any idea why they use the same email advertising template as several other schools - william mitchell, creighton, hamline, u denver?

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby Hand » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:53 pm

Can anyone tell me a little more on how Pitt's DC Biglaw placement is? Asking for a friend.

User avatar
JTIII
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 1:41 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby JTIII » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:58 pm

kms181 wrote:Has anyone heard back from Pitt? I need to make some decisions and am dying to know...been 2 months since submitted.


I applied late September and was accepted 12/4.

drs36
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby drs36 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:59 pm

hereisonehand wrote:Can anyone tell me a little more on how Pitt's DC Biglaw placement is? Asking for a friend.


Ranges from 'not good' to 'non-existent.' Do not recall any of my classmates who got DC Biglaw, but I also don't recall any who sought it out. I'd imagine only the top handful of Pitt grads could have any meaningful chance, at least starting out. Pitt's DC connection is largely through agencies, non-profits, etc.

Pitt does fairly well in Pittsburgh Biglaw. Firms won't dip too far though.

kms181
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:04 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby kms181 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:23 pm

JTIII wrote:
kms181 wrote:Has anyone heard back from Pitt? I need to make some decisions and am dying to know...been 2 months since submitted.


I applied late September and was accepted 12/4.



Do you remember how long your status was 'under review' before you were accepted?

User avatar
JTIII
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 1:41 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby JTIII » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:27 pm

kms181 wrote:
JTIII wrote:
kms181 wrote:Has anyone heard back from Pitt? I need to make some decisions and am dying to know...been 2 months since submitted.


I applied late September and was accepted 12/4.



Do you remember how long your status was 'under review' before you were accepted?


Sorry, I don't. Hope you hear some good news soon. (I am waiting on a lot of other schools and slowly dying on the inside.)

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby Hand » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:57 pm

drs36 wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:Can anyone tell me a little more on how Pitt's DC Biglaw placement is? Asking for a friend.


Ranges from 'not good' to 'non-existent.' Do not recall any of my classmates who got DC Biglaw, but I also don't recall any who sought it out. I'd imagine only the top handful of Pitt grads could have any meaningful chance, at least starting out. Pitt's DC connection is largely through agencies, non-profits, etc.

Pitt does fairly well in Pittsburgh Biglaw. Firms won't dip too far though.


Thanks!

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:35 pm

drs36 wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:Can anyone tell me a little more on how Pitt's DC Biglaw placement is? Asking for a friend.


Ranges from 'not good' to 'non-existent.' Do not recall any of my classmates who got DC Biglaw, but I also don't recall any who sought it out. I'd imagine only the top handful of Pitt grads could have any meaningful chance, at least starting out. Pitt's DC connection is largely through agencies, non-profits, etc.

Pitt does fairly well in Pittsburgh Biglaw. Firms won't dip too far though.


My answer would be "better than you would expect, but not enough to be significant". I know a handful of people who ended up in DC from my class, at least one of which is in one of the big IP boutiques. For the most part, the above post is pretty accurate. It's better than non-existent, but I would not choose Pitt for any alleged connections to DC. It's a good school if you are willing to stay in Allegheny or surrounding counties. If you're happy with that as a most-likely outcome, but are willing to take a shot at squeezing into the DC market somehow, the semester in DC could be helpful.

kms181
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:04 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby kms181 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:33 pm

After all that, status checker went to 'accepted' today, but no email. I guess I'll wait for the acceptance packet via snail mail for possible scholarship info?

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:18 pm

kms181 wrote:After all that, status checker went to 'accepted' today, but no email. I guess I'll wait for the acceptance packet via snail mail for possible scholarship info?

Back in my day (2009-10), there was no status checker at all. We walked 5 miles in the snow uphill both ways to the mailbox to see if we had been accepted.

CM3809
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:01 pm

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby CM3809 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Anyone know if Pitt is open to scholarship negotiation? I received a decent merit scholarship, but I have full-tuition offers from Temple, Penn State, and Duquesne

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:31 pm

CM3809 wrote:Anyone know if Pitt is open to scholarship negotiation? I received a decent merit scholarship, but I have full-tuition offers from Temple, Penn State, and Duquesne

I don't know if it has changed since then, but most TLSers from my cycle at Pitt had good success getting additional $$ from Pitt through negotiations. Even students with median numbers got in the range of 8k/yr. Pitt tends to spread the money around more than other places, though. As a result, there are fewer (if any) full-tuition scholarships.

FWIW, the choice between Temple and Pitt is more a choice of market than anything else. Penn State doesn't feed into any legal market of note. Duquesne for free is probably fine, but I think that Pitt for a similar cost is a little more likely to open doors for you than Duquesne. Hiring partners and/or judges tend to choose between the two based on their alma mater. If the choice is between Duquesne for free and Pitt at half cost, I might be inclined to do Duqesne for free.

CM3809
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:01 pm

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby CM3809 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:45 pm

Dr. Review wrote:
CM3809 wrote:Anyone know if Pitt is open to scholarship negotiation? I received a decent merit scholarship, but I have full-tuition offers from Temple, Penn State, and Duquesne

I don't know if it has changed since then, but most TLSers from my cycle at Pitt had good success getting additional $$ from Pitt through negotiations. Even students with median numbers got in the range of 8k/yr. Pitt tends to spread the money around more than other places, though. As a result, there are fewer (if any) full-tuition scholarships.

FWIW, the choice between Temple and Pitt is more a choice of market than anything else. Penn State doesn't feed into any legal market of note. Duquesne for free is probably fine, but I think that Pitt for a similar cost is a little more likely to open doors for you than Duquesne. Hiring partners and/or judges tend to choose between the two based on their alma mater. If the choice is between Duquesne for free and Pitt at half cost, I might be inclined to do Duqesne for free.


Yeah Im not really debating between the schools. If I stay in Pittsburgh/PA, then I'd go to Pitt. I was just planning on using these schools' offers as leverage in scholarship negotiation since they are all in the PA market.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:52 pm

My previous post was a "yes, they negotiate" followed by unsolicited advice. Use what you will, disregard the rest. 8)

User avatar
cal2013
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:22 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby cal2013 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:18 pm

Complete 1/13. No movement yet.

User avatar
cal2013
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:22 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby cal2013 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:07 am

Status Checker still says "Complete" but got an email today about their DC program and the first line of the email says "Congratulations on your admission...", but the rest of the email doesn't mention anything else about being accepted. So I guess I'm in? Strange way to say it.

zfletch74
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby zfletch74 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:15 am

cal2013 wrote:Status Checker still says "Complete" but got an email today about their DC program and the first line of the email says "Congratulations on your admission...", but the rest of the email doesn't mention anything else about being accepted. So I guess I'm in? Strange way to say it.


I got the same thing, but status has been under review since 11/24. So who knows.

nlm70390
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:31 pm

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby nlm70390 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:35 pm

^I got the same DC message.. I'm not sure if it means I got in or if they possibly sent them out accidentally? I might e-mail admissions and ask what that e-mail meant.

HannahRTaylor
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby HannahRTaylor » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:52 pm

I got the DC message too. I think they accidentally put the carriage before the horse on that one. I'm sure it means we're admitted. They just sent the wrong message first.

CADC15
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:59 am

Re: Pitt Law c/o 2018

Postby CADC15 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:34 pm

I also received that same email. Complete since around New Years.

But this also popped up on LSN: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/x04jayem14x

1-26-2015: Accepted into Pitt via email, no scholarship information
***Got a call from Pitt stating an email of acceptance went out to a number of students by mistake. My application is still under review.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”