What are my options? 3.722 w/ 161

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

What are my options? 3.722 w/ 161

Postby M.M. » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:46 pm

I took the LSAT October 2012 and again in December. The first time I got a 161, about 6 points below my PT average. The second time, I was testing consistently around 169 and bombed it. Completely fucked it up. Cancelled my score. So now I'm stuck applying with a 3.72 and a 161. I plan on retaking in February, but what are the implications of my recent score cancellation? What options do I realistically have? Originally I wanted to get at least a 168 and apply to a couple T14 like Berkeley, Michigan, Duke, and UCLA, as well as some other lower ranked schools which were seeming shoe-ins with the right LSAT score, in hopes of getting significant scholarships. Do I have any chance of still being accepted to a T14 this cycle, assuming I get a high enough LSAT score in February? Do I have any chance of getting scholarships to lower ranked schools? Does it matter at all if I take the Feb LSAT or should I just wait until next cycle? Does it matter if I take it and do well on it at this point, for this cycle?

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: What are my options? 3.722 w/ 161

Postby Username123 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:58 pm

M.M. wrote:I took the LSAT October 2012 and again in December. The first time I got a 161, about 6 points below my PT average. The second time, I was testing consistently around 169 and bombed it. Completely fucked it up. Cancelled my score. So now I'm stuck applying with a 3.72 and a 161. I plan on retaking in February, but what are the implications of my recent score cancellation? What options do I realistically have? Originally I wanted to get at least a 168 and apply to a couple T14 like Berkeley, Michigan, Duke, and UCLA, as well as some other lower ranked schools which were seeming shoe-ins with the right LSAT score, in hopes of getting significant scholarships. Do I have any chance of still being accepted to a T14 this cycle, assuming I get a high enough LSAT score in February? Do I have any chance of getting scholarships to lower ranked schools? Does it matter at all if I take the Feb LSAT or should I just wait until next cycle? Does it matter if I take it and do well on it at this point, for this cycle?


If you have the option to retake and are confident that you can improve your score drastically, which in turn will improve your cycle dramatically, why wouldn't you retake and wait a year? It could be an investment of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

ETA: This is the wrong forum, btw. You might want to ask this in the law school admissions/what are my chances forum. Also, be aware that everyone is going to tell you to retake, as it's undoubtedly TCR.

HTH

User avatar
Kinky John
Posts: 1106
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:52 am

Re: What are my options? 3.722 w/ 161

Postby Kinky John » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:01 pm

Not the right forum, and retake. If I were you, I'd take it in June of next year rather than February so you have more time to figure out why you're under-performing. Take this cycle off, regroup, and smile knowing you've made the right decision not rushing into a less than ideal situation.

Are you pt-ing at 169 under test conditions?

User avatar
UknownMartian
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:54 pm

Re: What are my options? 3.722 w/ 161

Postby UknownMartian » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:03 pm

Hey MM - I'm not an admissions counselor or anything, but I just wanted to provide my two cents on your situation.

I honestly think that you should retake the LSAT in either February or June, and then get your application in tip-top shape for the next application cycle to increase your chances of both admission and scholarship $. I say this because your GPA is strong, and if you can score around your PT average (high 160s), this can open up doors at some solid T14 schools. If you apply in February, I don't think you're giving yourself a fair shot because you'll be competing for one of the few remaining spots left in the class. Long story short - I think that you should apply when your application is as strong as possible in all facets (LSAT, letters of recommendation, essays). If you do feel uncomfortable about your cancel being a potential blemish on your application, write a short supplementary statement that provides a concise, but thoughtful explanation for why you chose to cancel that day.

TL,DR:
- Retake the LSAT to get the highest score possible
- Apply at the very beginning of the next cycle to maximize chances of admission + scholarship
- In the meantime, sharpen up your resume, essays, relationships with reco writers, etc

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: What are my options? 3.722 w/ 161

Postby 03152016 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:03 pm

you have made this topic four separate times

stop spamming the board

top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=240964
top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=240965
top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=240965
top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=240823

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: What are my options? 3.722 w/ 161

Postby Ron Don Volante » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:06 pm

M.M. wrote:I took the LSAT October 2012 and again in December. The first time I got a 161, about 6 points below my PT average. The second time, I was testing consistently around 169 and bombed it. Completely fucked it up. Cancelled my score. So now I'm stuck applying with a 3.72 and a 161. I plan on retaking in February, but what are the implications of my recent score cancellation? What options do I realistically have? Originally I wanted to get at least a 168 and apply to a couple T14 like Berkeley, Michigan, Duke, and UCLA, as well as some other lower ranked schools which were seeming shoe-ins with the right LSAT score, in hopes of getting significant scholarships. Do I have any chance of still being accepted to a T14 this cycle, assuming I get a high enough LSAT score in February? Do I have any chance of getting scholarships to lower ranked schools? Does it matter at all if I take the Feb LSAT or should I just wait until next cycle? Does it matter if I take it and do well on it at this point, for this cycle?

You're not going to get any viable options as it stands (unless you have modest goals and a few other circumstances that don't appear to be present). If you kill it in Feb, yeah, it's possible you could get a viable opportunity to start fall 2015. But, of course, your options are going to much more limited than if you started the cycle fresh w/ the new stats. The reset on takes is three years, right? So you can take this Feb/June and then again next October; as you seem to be seeking biglaw, I would advise you give it two more cracks then play out the 2019 cycle at full strength.

But I would give feb a go over June if you're truly ready to go and PTing where you need to be, especially considering you get a fourth take in Oct.

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6779
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: What are my options? 3.722 w/ 161

Postby Kratos » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:45 pm





Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., cyclawps, Lawl_Schoolz, luckydayahead, potterotter, ramp_999, ReadyToStart, wajdicm and 28 guests