UCLA Waitlist for c/o 2018 (2014-2015 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How long will you wait to be admitted?

Depends on my offers from other schools
21%
Until the first deposit deadline ~ mid April
10%
Until the second deposit deadline ~ mid June
15%
Until the end of time
55%

Total votes: 62

still

Bronze

Re: UCLA Waitlist for c/o 2018 (2014-2015 cycle)

Post by still » Sun May 31, 2015 1:33 am

Last edited by still on Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ohemgee2018

New

Post by ohemgee2018 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:16 pm

I had an interview with Dean Schwartz in mid april when I was visiting campus. He did ask if I would be willing to give up large scholarships elsewhere to attend, and I told him I couldn't give a definitive answer but that it was certainly possible. I heard nothing for over a month, and finally got accepted on May 25. I put down my first deposit, but hope I can at least get some need-based aid, since my parents cannot contribute anything. Does anybody have insight into the kinds of need-based scholarships UCLA offers students admitted from the waitlist?

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:50 pm

ohemgee2018 wrote:I had an interview with Dean Schwartz in mid april when I was visiting campus. He did ask if I would be willing to give up large scholarships elsewhere to attend, and I told him I couldn't give a definitive answer but that it was certainly possible. I heard nothing for over a month, and finally got accepted on May 25. I put down my first deposit, but hope I can at least get some need-based aid, since my parents cannot contribute anything. Does anybody have insight into the kinds of need-based scholarships UCLA offers students admitted from the waitlist?
They looked at me for Need-based after coming in off the waitlist. They still require you to submit your parents info unless you're over 30 years old

Meximelt

New

Post by Meximelt » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:43 pm

GreenMilkTea wrote:
Alvanith wrote:
Triceratopz wrote:
birdie wrote:Has anyone interviewed and NOT gotten accepted?

Yes. Things were fine until they asked for my scholarship info from where I was deposited. I stupidly told them (close to full). Then I had to try to convince them I would come without a ton of money but I don't think I was successful in getting my point across.
exactly same here
Ok guys, was anyone who was granted admission after an interview asked where they were attending and replied with a 6 figure total? I think this is the critical question at this point.
Yes, I did. At a school ranked higher than UCLA-I told Dean S the school. I did make a clear and logical breakdown as to why UCLA was the perfect school etc for me

Ags33474

New

Post by Ags33474 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:29 pm

When is the best time to submit a second loci? I don't want to be annoying. I sent an extensive one on April 17 and so, this would just be a short "I'm still interested, please take me" kind of thing (I feel like that is the best way to approach this). Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fishbulb

New

Post by fishbulb » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:34 pm

Ags33474 wrote:When is the best time to submit a second loci? I don't want to be annoying. I sent an extensive one on April 17 and so, this would just be a short "I'm still interested, please take me" kind of thing (I feel like that is the best way to approach this). Thoughts?
If the last one you sent was on April 17, then I think you're free to send another at your earliest convenience.

throwawayopok

New

Post by throwawayopok » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:21 pm

I was asked for a skype interview. Do you guys think it would it be ok to ask for a phone call instead, or do they prefer Skype for the webcam or whatever other reason?

Reliable internet and privacy for a non-workstation is a hassle at my work. ):

Thanks in advance.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:23 pm

I withdrew as a fairly heavy splitter who had been offered money, so they might be looking for another splitter off the waitlist.

Boredlaw

New

Post by Boredlaw » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:08 pm

It seems like half of their class will be people from the waitlist. Why don't they accept more people in the first round??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:10 pm

Boredlaw wrote:It seems like half of their class will be people from the waitlist. Why don't they accept more people in the first round??

How do you know that!? Does that mean a big round of students will get in after 2nd deposit??

Boredlaw

New

Post by Boredlaw » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:42 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:
Boredlaw wrote:It seems like half of their class will be people from the waitlist. Why don't they accept more people in the first round??

How do you know that!? Does that mean a big round of students will get in after 2nd deposit??
Based on FB activity and here it seems like they have MASSIVE WL activity.

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:42 pm

Boredlaw wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:

I mean they have 306 people in their facebook group.... last year their class size was 314. Doesn't seem like there is that much room?? But I agree, I think they WL'd a LOT of people.

fishbulb

New

Post by fishbulb » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:47 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:
Boredlaw wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:

I mean they have 306 people in their facebook group.... last year their class size was 314. Doesn't seem like there is that much room?? But I agree, I think they WL'd a LOT of people.
Tons of people in the FB group are committed elsewhere, but again, FB group size should be a pretty unreliable indicator

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:58 pm

fishbulb wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:
Boredlaw wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:

Tons of people in the FB group are committed elsewhere, but again, FB group size should be a pretty unreliable indicator
Ohhhh I see, yeah I just went through and 15 people in the group have listed themselves as attending other law schools on their profiles (yes, this is a completely appropriate use of my time during finals). I bet there are a bunch more that haven't put that on their profile. Crossing my fingers for all of us!

ch2014

New

Post by ch2014 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:00 am

Drowninmyowntears wrote:
fishbulb wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:
Boredlaw wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:

Ohhhh I see, yeah I just went through and 15 people in the group have listed themselves as attending other law schools on their profiles (yes, this is a completely appropriate use of my time during finals). I bet there are a bunch more that haven't put that on their profile. Crossing my fingers for all of us!
Also, a fair amount of people on the Facebook group are 2/3L's looking for subletters over the summer, to sell their furniture, and/or to talk to incoming 1L's about UCLA. (Don't worry, I definitely spent some time doing the same thing as you hahah)

ch2014

New

Post by ch2014 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:41 am

It really does seem like that! Maybe not as many people are accepting as they hoped. Maybe they want to waitlist more people so they can cherry pick those who will almost certainly go if given the opportunity (which would make the school look more competitive by lowering the percentage of accepted students (which I think plays a factor in most school rankings))...of course, it doesn't look too good if a school accepts loads of people and only a small number of those people take the offer. If they can guarantee that the people who are offered admissions will attend, the ratio of "accepted students to enrolled students" will be much better. Also, putting people on the waitlist allows the school to curate the incoming class a bit. Accept who they're going to accept, then after the first deposit, or whenever, take people from the waitlist to adjust the class profile (for example, if their average LSAT score is a little low, accept someone with higher LSAT scores, if all the kids from Kansas didn't accept, accept someone else from Kansas, etc.) Just some thoughts... (that aren't based on anything really so someone correct me if any of this is just wrong haha)

seemeseeyou

New

Post by seemeseeyou » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:37 pm

Sorry if this has already been posted but doees anyone know when the 2nd deposit is due?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:10 pm

seemeseeyou wrote:Sorry if this has already been posted but doees anyone know when the 2nd deposit is due?
June 12th

seemeseeyou

New

Post by seemeseeyou » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:55 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:
seemeseeyou wrote:Sorry if this has already been posted but doees anyone know when the 2nd deposit is due?
June 12th
thanks!

HalfStudent

Bronze

Post by HalfStudent » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:00 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:
Boredlaw wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:

UCLA invites people who they accepted to their FB. I think it's the only school besides Harvard that does this. After the first deposit, they started inviting a ton of new people. The problem is that it's hard to tell if these were people who got off the waitlist or if they were people initially accepted but just chose to accept the FB invite. Given the massive decline of higher LSAT scores and that UCLA waitlisted so many people it probably shouldn't have and top of that the fact UCLA was FAR less generous with $$$ than the previous cycle indicated to me that they probably have MASSIVE WL activity. But it's hard to tell, UCLA is very desirable people are going there over peer schools like texas,vandy,USC,WUSTL with very low scholarships compared to much higher ones from those schools listed. In fact people are going to UCLA over same $$$ from lower ranked t-14.
Last edited by HalfStudent on Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:03 pm

HalfStudent wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:
Boredlaw wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:

UCLA invites people who they accepted to their FB. I think it's the only school besides Harvard that does this. After the first deposit, they started inviting a ton of new people. The problem is that it's hard to tell if these were people who got off the waitlist or if they were people initially accepted but just chose to accept the FB invite. Given the massive decline of higher LSAT scores and that UCLA waitlisted so many people it probably shouldn't have and top of that the fact UCLA was FAR less generous with $$$ than the previous cycle indicated to me that they probably has MASSIVE WL activity. But it's hard to tell, UCLA is very desirable people are going there over peer schools like texas,vandy,USC,WUSTL with very low scholarships compared to much higher ones from those schools listed. In fact people are going to UCLA over same $$$ from lower ranked t-14.

Interesting. What do you mean by the massive decline of higher LSAT scores? Do you think there will be a lot more movement from the WL after the second deposit deadline?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HalfStudent

Bronze

Post by HalfStudent » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:10 pm

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/near-c ... ycle-data/

Look at the bottom of the page. It shows the decline of high LSAT applicants.

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:17 pm

HalfStudent wrote:http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/near-c ... ycle-data/

Wow you are so on top of it! Does that mean that median LSAT scores are going to go down on a lot of top schools? Interesting

HalfStudent

Bronze

Post by HalfStudent » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:23 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:
HalfStudent wrote:http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/near-c ... ycle-data/

Wow you are so on top of it! Does that mean that median LSAT scores are going to go down on a lot of top schools? Interesting
No doubt some schools will see their median take a hit but I don't think UCLA will be one of them.

Floatybear

New

Post by Floatybear » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:00 pm

Any Waitlist movement since the second deadline?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”