UC Hastings c/o 2018 (2014-2015 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JonTheMandamus

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2018 (2014-2015 cycle)

Postby JonTheMandamus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:42 pm

msald002 wrote:
Calbears123 wrote:
idontknow1 wrote:
Calbears123 wrote:Lol so Hastings just emailed me again even though I withdrew. Scholarship went from 20k to 30k to 35k to full to full + living stipend. Wow my numbers aren't even THAT good

Said I had until May the 4th to decide. Guess I'll withdraw again already deposited at another school

I just got bumped up as well. Did they say how much the full+living stipend amount is for you?

5k a year

This may be a dumb question but do schools normally only increase scholarships for those who have not yet accepted? I'm assuming they have no incentive to give those who have deposited any more money?

Not a dumb question at all. Better to ask and know. Typically, if you have already accepted they will not bother increasing your scholarship. In certain situations where students are under negotiations with multiple schools, it is possible. For instance, if you deposit at school A, and then peer school B accepts you off a waitlist with a better scholarship, you can negotiate with school A for a matching/better scholarship offer.

Calbears123

Postby Calbears123 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:14 pm

msald002 wrote:
Calbears123 wrote:
idontknow1 wrote:
Calbears123 wrote:Lol so Hastings just emailed me again even though I withdrew. Scholarship went from 20k to 30k to 35k to full to full + living stipend. Wow my numbers aren't even THAT good

Said I had until May the 4th to decide. Guess I'll withdraw again already deposited at another school

I just got bumped up as well. Did they say how much the full+living stipend amount is for you?

5k a year

This may be a dumb question but do schools normally only increase scholarships for those who have not yet accepted? I'm assuming they have no incentive to give those who have deposited any more money?

I didn't accepted, I've put in a seat deposit but not at UC Hastings. I've already withdrew...twice now

l18

Postby l18 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:22 pm

PhantomBMAN wrote:I'm almost embarrassed by how much I regarded Hastings for the longest time before seeing just how shoddy not just the area and some students are, but the administrative staff is.

I guess I looked upon it highly because of that reputation it has in the heart of the Bay Area, but holy hell....even the dude on the phone for admissions (maybe the same guy jkwatt spoke to) sounded like a dismissive, patronizing bastard.

I'm usually understanding of formality and emotionless administrators who deal with many students, but have SOME sense of decency when dealing with potential students anxious about their futures. Damn.

They upped my offer and I called to ask a question and the same guy probably answered me and his tone made it quite difficult to speak to him. I've spoken to quite a few schools and they are always warm and welcoming, have not received the same from Hastings.

They also never told me about qualifying for the need based aid but now it is apparently included in my "new" scholarship, which is basically my old scholarship with the 10k a year need based aid I was old I can receive in my admissions email. All of their emails stated that need based would be an additional amount to my scholarship, but alas it is the same offer as before. Still not interested.

GunnerBingo

Postby GunnerBingo » Fri May 01, 2015 1:35 am

Hey everyone. Rising 3L checking in. Feel free to ask me anything in this thread or via PM. I'm open to helping out any prospective students who might have questions about the school, OCI, etc.

athenaruth

Postby athenaruth » Tue May 05, 2015 4:20 pm

it looks like they're starting to pull applicants off the WL! :shock:

ericalynn17

Postby ericalynn17 » Sun May 10, 2015 12:00 am

athenaruth wrote:it looks like they're starting to pull applicants off the WL! :shock:

I'm WL at Arizona, Colorado, and Hastings...holding out for Colorado, but accepted at Denver. I'm interested to see if they reach out to me.

stillwaiting2015

Postby stillwaiting2015 » Sun May 10, 2015 1:33 pm

Anyone hear anything about the waitlist? I know it's only been 10 days but the wait is already driving me crazy haha

wildlavender

Postby wildlavender » Thu May 14, 2015 9:19 pm

stillwaiting2015 wrote:Anyone hear anything about the waitlist? I know it's only been 10 days but the wait is already driving me crazy haha

I got the elusive follow up email for the waitlist today if that's worth anything. They asked if I was still interested, my LSAC number, etc. and I sent in my reply within the hour. Hoping for good news.

athenaruth

Postby athenaruth » Thu May 14, 2015 11:28 pm

wildlavender wrote:
stillwaiting2015 wrote:Anyone hear anything about the waitlist? I know it's only been 10 days but the wait is already driving me crazy haha

I got the elusive follow up email for the waitlist today if that's worth anything. They asked if I was still interested, my LSAC number, etc. and I sent in my reply within the hour. Hoping for good news.

Pretty sure that's good news! If you don't mind me asking, did Hastings send it toward EOD?

wildlavender

Postby wildlavender » Fri May 15, 2015 1:42 pm

athenaruth wrote:
wildlavender wrote:

Pretty sure that's good news! If you don't mind me asking, did Hastings send it toward EOD?

I got the email around noon and replied right away. I'm not sure how this whole process of pulling people off works but I applied in early february and got WLed in early April. Hoping to get a call either today or some time next week, Hastings was my top choice so I'm crossing my fingers!

wildlavender

Postby wildlavender » Tue May 19, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi everyone! Just got the call and I'm in with a very generous scholarship! Put my deposit down the instant I hung up the phone -- see you in the fall, class of 2018 and good luck to those of you still on the WL! Later Loyola and hello Hastings! (:

Edit: If it's helpful for anyone else, I got the call in the late afternoon and was given a full week to decide/put down the $500 deposit!
Last edited by wildlavender on Tue May 19, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

athenaruth

Postby athenaruth » Tue May 19, 2015 10:10 pm

wildlavender wrote:Hi everyone! Just got the call and I'm in with a very generous scholarship! Put my deposit down the instant I hung up the phone -- see you in the fall, class of 2018 and good luck to those of you still on the WL! Later Loyola and hello Hastings! (:

Congratulations! :D :D

NorCalLaw

Postby NorCalLaw » Fri May 22, 2015 11:56 pm

Very recent Hastings graduate here, hit me up with any questions or concerns. I'm always happy to have an excuse to take a break from bar prep.

I'll just leave these here in the meantime:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/hastings/
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... geid=61621

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:17 pm

Sorry, but I have to address the elephant in the room
Last edited by A.Taarabt7 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Talked to around 14 alums ranging from classes of 2012 to 2015.
Last edited by A.Taarabt7 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

NorCalLaw

Postby NorCalLaw » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:24 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:Talked to around 14 alums ranging from classes of 2012 to 2015. They had nothing good to say. In addition, I also talked to an alum that is now a professor at a peer school, even he told me not to go.

Thus, I'm withdrawing. Enjoy the $$ that gets back into the pot. Can't risk my future at Ha$TTings.

That's a good choice, and I hope you made the same decision for UCD.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:44 pm

NorCalLaw wrote:
A.Taarabt7 wrote:Talked to around 14 alums ranging from classes of 2012 to 2015. They had nothing good to say. In addition, I also talked to an alum that is now a professor at a peer school, even he told me not to go.

Thus, I'm withdrawing. Enjoy the $$ that gets back into the pot.

That's a good choice, and I hope you made the same decision for UCD.

It's like a different world with their alumni base. They're not saying anything bad about the school. Only good things. I'm getting some parental assistance so my debt load won't be too appalling relatively speaking.

castadiva

Postby castadiva » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:42 am

I heard they have begun pulling people off the waitlist, has anyone here gotten a call? if so, when?

underthebridge

Postby underthebridge » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:50 pm

castadiva wrote:I heard they have begun pulling people off the waitlist, has anyone here gotten a call? if so, when?

Where did u hear this?
No call yet :shock:

Judgeasaurus_Rex

Postby Judgeasaurus_Rex » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:47 pm

Hey folks,

I'll be applying to hastings this fall for admission in 2016. Have 3.44 lsac GPA & 157 and 158 LSAT scores (June '14 & June '15). Will be retaking in October this year.

Do I have a shot at getting in at Hastings? I'd like to reach for Davis, or higher if my 3rd lsat attempt will permit me, but I am very interested in Hastings because of it's proximity to the 9th circuit courts in San Fran (plus I love that city!) I'm right on the medians for LSAT & GPA for the most recent incoming class. Does anyone think that the medians will remain similar?

Oh, and I probably want public interest work after graduation.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:41 pm

Judge-a-saurus wrote:Hey folks,

I'll be applying to hastings this fall for admission in 2016. Have 3.44 lsac GPA & 157 and 158 LSAT scores (June '14 & June '15). Will be retaking in October this year.

Do I have a shot at getting in at Hastings? I'd like to reach for Davis, or higher if my 3rd lsat attempt will permit me, but I am very interested in Hastings because of it's proximity to the 9th circuit courts in San Fran (plus I love that city!) I'm right on the medians for LSAT & GPA for the most recent incoming class. Does anyone think that the medians will remain similar?

You'll probably get in with the 158 to be honest. I don't know what's going on with Hastings but on LSN there are people getting in with 152s-155s.
Last edited by A.Taarabt7 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Judgeasaurus_Rex

Postby Judgeasaurus_Rex » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:46 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:

You'll probably get in with the 158 to be honest. I don't know what's going on with Hastings but on LSN there are people getting in with 152s-155s.

As for the PI work........ i'd go to a tier 3 on a fullride if you want to do that. That's the thing I really hate about the California Legal Market. All these PI places never hire entry level or if they do,it's as a volunteer attorney working for FREE after you pass the California Bar(hardest bar exam in the country) and get sworn in. At least, that's what I have noticed all over TLS, 20-40 profiles on LinkedIn, and through personal experience volunteering as a 0L at a legal aid clinic and other non profits.

Does Hastings have debt forgiveness or other sorts of stipends for students who pursue PI after graduation or is that something you get from your employer?

Do you think that the medians will remain the same this year at Hastings (and in general) despite the 6.6% increase in June LSAT takers?

Regarding LSN, a lot of the information seems to be incomplete. It appears as if only the more qualified applicants input their information on the site.

Thanks for your input! :)

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:22 am

Judge-a-saurus wrote:
A.Taarabt7 wrote:

As for the PI work........ i'd go to a tier 3 on a fullride if you want to do that. That's the thing I really hate about the California Legal Market. All these PI places never hire entry level or if they do,it's as a volunteer attorney working for FREE after you pass the California Bar(hardest bar exam in the country) and get sworn in. At least, that's what I have noticed all over TLS, 20-40 profiles on LinkedIn, and through personal experience volunteering as a 0L at a legal aid clinic and other non profits.

Does Hastings have debt forgiveness or other sorts of stipends for students who pursue PI after graduation or is that something you get from your employer?

Do you think that the medians will remain the same this year at Hastings (and in general) despite the 6.6% increase in June LSAT takers?

Regarding LSN, a lot of the information seems to be incomplete. It appears as if only the more qualified applicants input their information on the site.

Hastings has PICAP. I really don't know much about it, as I'm on more of a corporate path, but info is here: http://www.uchastings.edu/about/admin-offices/financial-aid/picap/index.php.

On your previous question about getting in - I think you will probably get in. You're right at both medians, and I suspect the school is really pushing to maintain/raise its medians given how they have fallen the last couple years (likely with a focus on preventing a further drop).

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Last edited by A.Taarabt7 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:16 am

A.Taarabt7 wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
Judge-a-saurus wrote:
A.Taarabt7 wrote:

Hastings has PICAP. I really don't know much about it, as I'm on more of a corporate path, but info is here: http://www.uchastings.edu/about/admin-offices/financial-aid/picap/index.php.

On your previous question about getting in - I think you will probably get in. You're right at both medians, and I suspect the school is really pushing to maintain/raise its medians given how they have fallen the last couple years (likely with a focus on preventing a further drop).

what makes you think Hastings is trying to raise its medians? I looked on LSN. Doesn't look like they are trying to raise it to me bro

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/eightohs
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Msald002
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/aquamanny

small sample size but gggoddddddddddddddd damn!!!

The focus there should be more on the "maintain" part. Also, it's patently ridiculous to think that a law school administration wouldn't actively be trying to maintain/raise medians and/or that they don't care about them. However, everyone is trying to do this, so I don't think they actually will raise or maintain said medians - I think we can both agree on that point.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”