UC Hastings c/o 2018 (2014-2015 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nickster1991

New

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2018 (2014-2015 cycle)

Post by Nickster1991 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:34 am

Hastings has very good peer reputation scores among professors, lawyers, and judges ( its peer rankings are on par with schools ranked up to 25 spots higher in the US News rankings). It also boasts a pretty good faculty from what I've heard.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:48 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:I guess I'd just repeat my question from higher up on the thread. For those choosing a law school, what are some pros for Hastings other than location? My biggest concern is that it doesn't seem like anyone likes the school for anything other than location. But I'd love to hear your perspective! -Thanks!
For me there were three main draws:

First, Hastings is still a name in California in a way that other schools are not. One of the reasons that I chose Hastings over Davis was that lawyers I spoke with in the Bay Area were often surprised to learn that Davis had a law school at all (this is not an exaggeration, I had that exact conversation at least 3 times with lawyers at SF offices of biglaw firms). By contrast, because it's so huge, everyone in the legal community knew someone from Hastings.

Second, Hastings provides great extracurricular opportunities; friends of my were able to argue in front of the Ninth Circuit, I got to attend a conference on Paris on the school's dime, the "start-up clinic" wherein you do transactional work for non-profit start-ups in SV may actually be completely unique(I don't know for sure, I'm a litigator and was never very interested in transactional work, but I've never heard of a program like this elsewhere). The size of the school means that, whatever your interests, there is probably a group that's like-minded, and the school is very supportive.

Third, someone already mentioned this, but the faculty is incredibly supportive. I never had issues missing class for job interviews/networking events, professors often passed along job tips to students (this was particularly helpful in terms adjuncts who are actually working day jobs at bay area firms and know which firms are actually hiring), and if you have the grades for a clerkship there's something of a "machine" in place among the faculty to ensure that you get one (i.e. professors who have established relationships with judges will coordinate recommendations/contacts on your behalf).

Just to try and cut off some trolling - yes, you should pick a law school based primarily on job prospects, and not extracurricular/"nice professors," however, the reality is that law school is going to be three years of your life, and for those years, professors and extracurriculars will be impactful. If you're seriously considering Hastings, these are things to keep in mind.

Note: I'm also told that Hastings offers great benefits for the non-profit/public interest crowd, and I would encourage anyone interested in those topics to look into Hasting's programs. However, I don't feel comfortable speaking to the draw of said programs because they were just not my interests, so I never saw them up close.

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:19 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:I guess I'd just repeat my question from higher up on the thread. For those choosing a law school, what are some pros for Hastings other than location? My biggest concern is that it doesn't seem like anyone likes the school for anything other than location. But I'd love to hear your perspective! -Thanks!

First, Hastings is still a name in California in a way that other schools are not. One of the reasons that I chose Hastings over Davis was that lawyers I spoke with in the Bay Area were often surprised to learn that Davis had a law school at all (this is not an exaggeration, I had that exact conversation at least 3 times with lawyers at SF offices of biglaw firms). By contrast, because it's so huge, everyone in the legal community knew someone from Hastings.

Second, Hastings provides great extracurricular opportunities; friends of my were able to argue in front of the Ninth Circuit, I got to attend a conference on Paris on the school's dime, the "start-up clinic" wherein you do transactional work for non-profit start-ups in SV may actually be completely unique(I don't know for sure, I'm a litigator and was never very interested in transactional work, but I've never heard of a program like this elsewhere). The size of the school means that, whatever your interests, there is probably a group that's like-minded, and the school is very supportive.

Third, someone already mentioned this, but the faculty is incredibly supportive. I never had issues missing class for job interviews/networking events, professors often passed along job tips to students (this was particularly helpful in terms adjuncts who are actually working day jobs at bay area firms and know which firms are actually hiring), and if you have the grades for a clerkship there's something of a "machine" in place among the faculty to ensure that you get one (i.e. professors who have established relationships with judges will coordinate recommendations/contacts on your behalf).

Just to try and cut off some trolling - yes, you should pick a law school based primarily on job prospects, and not extracurricular/"nice professors," however, the reality is that law school is going to be three years of your life, and for those years, professors and extracurriculars will be impactful. If you're seriously considering Hastings, these are things to keep in mind.

Note: I'm also told that Hastings offers great benefits for the non-profit/public interest crowd, and I would encourage anyone interested in those topics to look into Hasting's programs. However, I don't feel comfortable speaking to the draw of said programs because they were just not my interests, so I never saw them up close.
Thanks for your thoughts! I really appreciate it!

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:25 am

Drowninmyowntears wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts! I really appreciate it!
They have a great cafeteria and student cafe. No joke. I was like, "Hey, I'd like this at my school."

HopefulURM

New

Post by HopefulURM » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:39 pm

For those who have been accepted - how soon did you hear about financial aid after being accepted? And how did you hear about it?

Is there an online portal, like other schools have, to check your award summary?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:54 pm

HopefulURM wrote:For those who have been accepted - how soon did you hear about financial aid after being accepted? And how did you hear about it?

Is there an online portal, like other schools have, to check your award summary?
it came via email. I cant recall on top of my head how soon. but pretty fast, I believe. And idk about online portal, sorry I cant be more helpful, perhaps others can chime in

dmcmanus

New

Post by dmcmanus » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:44 pm

HopefulURM wrote:For those who have been accepted - how soon did you hear about financial aid after being accepted? And how did you hear about it?

Mine took about a month. Accepted mid Jan, aid mid Fed. Both via email. Don't recall if there is a portal or not.

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:46 pm

dmcmanus wrote:

Mine took about a month. Accepted mid Jan, aid mid Fed. Both via email. Don't recall if there is a portal or not.
+ 1. No portal

mak04

New

Post by mak04 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:34 am

In via email! Now I just have to wait to hear about scholarship money. Hopefully they send out the information fast since the deadline to accept at a lot of schools is soon!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

baygrad18

New

Post by baygrad18 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:04 am

I don't know what is going on. I went complete in mid January and my application still says complete. Deposits are due mid April to a lot of schools and I emailed Hastings and they never got back to me. Any advice would be lovely..

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:20 am

baygrad18 wrote:I don't know what is going on. I went complete in mid January and my application still says complete. Deposits are due mid April to a lot of schools and I emailed Hastings and they never got back to me. Any advice would be lovely..
bay, I would call,

lefty bengal

New

Post by lefty bengal » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:01 pm

I just got an email from Hastings this morning. Waitlisted, unfortunately. Does anyone know how the waitlist works or what my chances are of making it in. (median lsat, below median gpa)

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:16 pm

lefty bengal wrote:I just got an email from Hastings this morning. Waitlisted, unfortunately. Does anyone know how the waitlist works or what my chances are of making it in. (median lsat, below median gpa)
Well I'm about to withdraw so hopefully my spot goes to you!! I would say if you continue to write LOCI and emphasize that Hastings is your top choice its pretty likely you will get in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lefty bengal

New

Post by lefty bengal » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:58 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:
lefty bengal wrote:I just got an email from Hastings this morning. Waitlisted, unfortunately. Does anyone know how the waitlist works or what my chances are of making it in. (median lsat, below median gpa)
Well I'm about to withdraw so hopefully my spot goes to you!! I would say if you continue to write LOCI and emphasize that Hastings is your top choice its pretty likely you will get in.
I'm still waiting on hearing back from a few schools so I think I'll wait. I got a full ride to chapman, and 60 k to Pepper. Waiting on UCLA, UCI, DAVIS, and LOYOLA.

Taking into consideration I got waitlisted at Hastings, i'm most likely getting rejected from UCLA, UCI, and Davis. I'm not quite sure where I want to go and whether I want to be in debt since I'm not going to a T14.

Any advice?

Cpt Zapp Brannigan

New

Post by Cpt Zapp Brannigan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:41 pm

lefty bengal wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:
I'm still waiting on hearing back from a few schools so I think I'll wait. I got a full ride to chapman, and 60 k to Pepper. Waiting on UCLA, UCI, DAVIS, and LOYOLA.

Taking into consideration I got waitlisted at Hastings, i'm most likely getting rejected from UCLA, UCI, and Davis. I'm not quite sure where I want to go and whether I want to be in debt since I'm not going to a T14.

Any advice?

When did you submit apps? If you didnt apply until like february or something, you may want to consider reapplying early next cycle. I know no one wants to have to wait, but you can prob get into more schools with more scholarship money. Chapman's job numbers are abysmal, dont do it!

lefty bengal

New

Post by lefty bengal » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:51 am

Cpt Zapp Brannigan wrote:
lefty bengal wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:

Any advice?

When did you submit apps? If you didnt apply until like february or something, you may want to consider reapplying early next cycle. I know no one wants to have to wait, but you can prob get into more schools with more scholarship money. Chapman's job numbers are abysmal, dont do it!
I submitted all my apps in February. Update: I just got accepted into Loyola in LA. Don't know yet how much they're giving me or if I'm getting anything. My choices right now are, Chapman, LMU, Penn State, NorthEastern, and American. Waiting on UCLA, UCI, and Davis. If i get rejected from the three I'm waiting on, you think I should wait and reapply?

Can anyone make this decision easier???

mak04

New

Post by mak04 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:58 pm

I got my scholarship offer today via email!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:46 pm

I can't speak to your chances, but I can tell you how he waitlist works:

Sometime after deposits are due the admissions office will reach out via email and ask waitlist candidates if they are still interested in attending. After that some subset will get offers, and about two weeks later the admissions office will repeat the process (I.e. check the yield, ask for continued interest, and send more offers) - I know that during my cycle they did this at least 3 times, with the third set of offers going out in late June.

Now, this info is also 4 years old, so just take it with a grain of salt as the process may have changed (though probably not by that much).

laura1323

New

Post by laura1323 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:30 pm

Accepted via email, when do you usually hear about scholarships?

LVbucknell

Bronze

Post by LVbucknell » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:37 pm

got bumped to 60 k today unsolicited. Definitely still withdrawing.

PrizeFighter

Bronze

Post by PrizeFighter » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:34 pm

laura1323 wrote:Accepted via email, when do you usually hear about scholarships?
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jrailey15

New

Post by jrailey15 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:44 pm

Did anyone else get unsolicited scholarship increases today?

miamiri

Bronze

Post by miamiri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:07 pm

jrailey15 wrote:Did anyone else get unsolicited scholarship increases today?
not today. a few weeks back. that is how they roll i suppose...

yannao

New

Post by yannao » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:48 pm

La la la.. still sitting at complete since 2/4... la la la...

baygrad18

New

Post by baygrad18 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:45 pm

yannao wrote:La la la.. still sitting at complete since 2/4... la la la...
1/15 here... *patiently waits*....*waits*

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”