Held at Georgetown

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FSK

Re: Held at Georgetown

Postby FSK » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:15 pm

I got off the waitlist in august with $ - keep your hopes up. do interesting things for LOCIs, and buckle down.

lane

Postby lane » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:16 pm

niplomo wrote:
feliscatus1 wrote:
mickey_mouse wrote:For others held- do we think this is a good time to send an LOCI or no? Assuming no major accomplishments at work/ school. I can see both sides being beneficial/ harmful, but it probably doesn't matter too much either way?

I am wondering the same. I hesitate to because of the sentence from the email that said, "No additional information is necessary..." etc. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, though.

I would say that it would be a GREAT time to update your application with something new, whether more grades, a better score, work experience etc.

If nothing new is going on then idk

That kind of answers my question. I have been held too and just got this semester's grades back (I'm still in undergrad). Though not much of an increase, my GPA did raise from 3.78 to 3.81. I'm guessing it's worth it to send in my updated transcript, even though I have another semester left?

niplomo

Postby niplomo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:36 pm

lane wrote:
niplomo wrote:
feliscatus1 wrote:
mickey_mouse wrote:For others held- do we think this is a good time to send an LOCI or no? Assuming no major accomplishments at work/ school. I can see both sides being beneficial/ harmful, but it probably doesn't matter too much either way?

I am wondering the same. I hesitate to because of the sentence from the email that said, "No additional information is necessary..." etc. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, though.

I would say that it would be a GREAT time to update your application with something new, whether more grades, a better score, work experience etc.

If nothing new is going on then idk

That kind of answers my question. I have been held too and just got this semester's grades back (I'm still in undergrad). Though not much of an increase, my GPA did raise from 3.78 to 3.81. I'm guessing it's worth it to send in my updated transcript, even though I have another semester left?

I would send them an email "updating your application" and in that email Id reaffirm your interest

mickey_mouse

Postby mickey_mouse » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:43 pm

I would send them an email "updating your application" and in that email Id reaffirm your interest

Yea I just drafted a short one as well and am going to send it sometime soon. I'm employed, so gave them like a one sentence update on my role in a project (which is somewhat related to law/ my interest in GTown). I feel like if I ended up getting ding'd or WL'd I would regret not sending one more than if I had.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:58 pm

I was thinking of getting an additional LOR from my current employer to send to the admissions office to supplement my application and was hoping it would help my chances. I already sent 4 letters with my initial app though, which is their stated limit for LORs. Would it harm me to send an additional letter directly to the school (since I can't send it through LSAC, as I've already sent 4), or do you think I should do it?

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:44 pm

Last edited by RareExports on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

pta

Post removed...

Postby pta » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:10 am

Post removed...
Last edited by pta on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:35 am

Peta wrote:Went through GULC Held threads from the previous two years and noticed that only one person was admitted from the Held list. Everyone else was either Waitlisted or Rejected on the last day of GULC's self-imposed deadline. And he wasn't even applying for the ft program :shock:

Yeah, the prospects are pretty grim.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JTIII

Postby JTIII » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:48 pm

No email for me.

lane

Postby lane » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:19 pm

I have a feeling they'll wait until the very last day.

pta

Post removed...

Postby pta » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:22 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by pta on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mickey_mouse

Postby mickey_mouse » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:50 pm

Peta wrote:We don't get waitlisted/rejected until the day of their self-imposed deadline :P

I was held at GULC last year and heard about WL the Friday before their self-imposed deadline.

pjohnstron0626

Postby pjohnstron0626 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:54 pm

Held. 163, 3.9, MA/PhD (Cambridge)

Here's what not to do if you end up ever reapplying to law schools.... I was accepted during a previous cycle but had to sit out to finish my PhD. Gtown actually offered a small scholarship just before the year started even though I was below their median LSAT (well below). Due to PhD viva complications, I could not enroll in Georgetown this past year.

Rather than defer and hold the small financial offer, I took the grand advice of many of the TSL people and retook the LSAT and reapplied. I studied my ass off and took three months off of my PhD only to hit the same LSAT score: 1-6-3. I wasn't even looking for a better school, just more financial security at G-town. Regardless, I am now held at the place I should have enrolled in last cycle.

Moral of the story --- I guess it's two-fold. 1) Don't do that. 2) Don't let some of the insanely high scoring people on here let you over-think your application, whether it be retaking/negotiating. There is always a risk you will do yourself a disservice.

JTIII

Postby JTIII » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:49 pm

mickey_mouse wrote:
Peta wrote:We don't get waitlisted/rejected until the day of their self-imposed deadline :P

I was held at GULC last year and heard about WL the Friday before their self-imposed deadline.

Anybody hear anything today?

pta

Post removed...

Postby pta » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:14 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by pta on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JTIII

Postby JTIII » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:34 pm

Ahhhh thanks for that. Good luck everyone.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:15 pm

Peta wrote:Nope.

After doing some research, I've concluded that everyone held who receives a decision on the exact day of the deadline is preferred waitlisted, waitlisted, or rejected, while the small fortunate handful of folks admitted from the held list will be admitted in the days right before the deadline.

3 days til the deadline for all of you in the first group (i'm in the second)...anyone hear back yet?

1234aqwe

Postby 1234aqwe » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:16 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
Peta wrote:Nope.

After doing some research, I've concluded that everyone held who receives a decision on the exact day of the deadline is preferred waitlisted, waitlisted, or rejected, while the small fortunate handful of folks admitted from the held list will be admitted in the days right before the deadline.

3 days til the deadline for all of you in the first group (i'm in the second)...anyone hear back yet?

I'm in the second held group as well... interested to see how the first round of held decisions goes!

EvergreenStateLady

Postby EvergreenStateLady » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:41 pm

pjohnstron0626 wrote:Held. 163, 3.9, MA/PhD (Cambridge)

Here's what not to do if you end up ever reapplying to law schools.... I was accepted during a previous cycle but had to sit out to finish my PhD. Gtown actually offered a small scholarship just before the year started even though I was below their median LSAT (well below). Due to PhD viva complications, I could not enroll in Georgetown this past year.

Rather than defer and hold the small financial offer, I took the grand advice of many of the TSL people and retook the LSAT and reapplied. I studied my ass off and took three months off of my PhD only to hit the same LSAT score: 1-6-3. I wasn't even looking for a better school, just more financial security at G-town. Regardless, I am now held at the place I should have enrolled in last cycle.

Moral of the story --- I guess it's two-fold. 1) Don't do that. 2) Don't let some of the insanely high scoring people on here let you over-think your application, whether it be retaking/negotiating. There is always a risk you will do yourself a disservice.

That sucks! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you get in and get some scholarship money.

pta

Post removed...

Postby pta » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:30 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by pta on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ASharon004

Postby ASharon004 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:08 pm

Peta wrote:Somebody on LSN was rejected from the Held list today. Did anyone else hear anything?

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/hashtagblessed

No, but I'm the second round of held people (2/27 decision deadline).

lane

Postby lane » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:14 pm

ASharon004 wrote:
Peta wrote:Somebody on LSN was rejected from the Held list today. Did anyone else hear anything?

I just now got put on preferred waitlist. I was part of the second round (2/27).

ASharon004

Postby ASharon004 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:16 pm

ASharon004 wrote:

Spoke too soon. Just got put on the regular old wait list via email.

nobodyknowsmyname

Postby nobodyknowsmyname » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:42 pm

submitted 10/29
interview 11/19
held 11/24
preferred wait list 1/28

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”